Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2020 Posts: 5,834

Hitman developer IO Interactive has announced Project 007, a new James Bond game.

Announced in a teaser trailer today, IO describes the game as a "wholly original Bond story" in which "players will step into the shows of the world's favorite Secret Agent to earn thier 00 status in the very first Bond origin story."
    Well, that was a long walk through the desert.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Really looking forward to this, although it is probably still quite a long way off.

Although I am aware of them, I have never played a Hitman game (or any other IO game) apart from a demo level I think. So does anyone want to venture a guess on what to expect?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Really looking forward to this, although it is probably still quite a long way off.

Although I am aware of them, I have never played a Hitman game (or any other IO game) apart from a demo level I think. So does anyone want to venture a guess on what to expect?

If we were to go off their Hitman titles exclusively, they'd be nicely-sized sandbox levels, played in third person, where you're after a particular target to kill or objective to obtain, while going at it however you see fit, though the canon method would be pure stealth, no witnesses. Not sure if they'll take a more linear approach here but knowing them, I could see them utilizing the same formula for these missions, which would be fantastic.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 9,730
    Project 007 by IO Interactive was just announced. Bond games are back on the menu, boys!

Ok i am beyond excited!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

If we were to go off their Hitman titles exclusively, they'd be nicely-sized sandbox levels, played in third person, where you're after a particular target to kill or objective to obtain, while going at it however you see fit, though the canon method would be pure stealth, no witnesses. Not sure if they'll take a more linear approach here but knowing them, I could see them utilizing the same formula for these missions, which would be fantastic.

I was about to post a snarky comment in the thread specifically about this game, saying "how pissed are people going to be if it's just a Hitman re-skin?"
    But people seem to really love those games and they aren't that far off from Bond thematically so, that would probably work quite well 😅
    Really looks like an inspired choice of developer!
  • Project 007 by IO Interactive was just announced. Bond games are back on the menu, boys!

Holy! Our dreams come true! Great news :x
  • This is beyond exciting. I might even be more excited for this than I am NTTD. And I’m *really* looking forward to that.
    A Hitman clone would do me just fine, though hopefully we’ll get more than that.

I was about to post a snarky comment in the thread specifically about this game, saying "how pissed are people going to be if it's just a Hitman re-skin?"
    But people seem to really love those games and they aren't that far off from Bond thematically so, that would probably work quite well 😅
    Really looks like an inspired choice of developer!

A lot of fans for years have thought they could do just that and create an excellent game, and I agree. I think they'll handle it beautifully.
    what is odd is i have been replaying hitman blood money recently... thinking i wiant a new bond game well here we are
    Risico007 wrote: »
    what is odd is i have been replaying hitman blood money recently... thinking i wiant a new bond game well here we are

I played through it again in the last few weeks, can't count the dozens of times I've played through and beat those missions or got the Platinum Trophy. One of the best of the series.

I played through it again in the last few weeks, can't count the dozens of times I've played through and beat those missions or got the Platinum Trophy. One of the best of the series.

I love the game though I suck at it if that makes sense I watch the playthroughs I know how to play it but still Like in the opera house no matter what I cant get the timing right with the chandelier
    edited November 2020 Posts: 40,371

I love the game though I suck at it if that makes sense I watch the playthroughs I know how to play it but still Like in the opera house no matter what I cant get the timing right with the chandelier

Best thing for that assassination method: sneak into the back of the opera house and replace the prop gun with the real one that you get at the front desk, then wait for the target participating in the play to die. By that point, you should have the bomb attached to the chandelier. Once the American target comes running into the seating area of the theater, he trips. The second he falls, detonate the chandelier and it'll take him out no problem.

It really is all about learning the levels like the back of your hand and practicing the different methods of eliminating targets over and over again, to the point that you don't have to think of the steps. It's good fun once you do that.
  • Excellent news and long overdue - should be a good one. And frankly even if it's just mediocre, I think Bond fans will take to it like a drowning man to a lifeboat.

If I could be miserable for a moment, though:
    Here again, I suspect EON is wishing they'd gotten moving a hell of a lot sooner. The shutdown(s) related to COVID would appear to be a perfect time to release a video game rather than a movie. If it had come out some months ago, it might have made a bigger profit.
    It may end up coming out relatively close to NTTD which is good, I suppose. But dammit, it's hard not to see the impact of all the delays that the various Bond properties have gone through. . .

Best thing for that assassination method: sneak into the back of the opera house and replace the prop gun with the real one that you get at the front desk, then wait for the target participating in the play to die. By that point, you should have the bomb attached to the chandelier. Once the American target comes running into the seating area of the theater, he trips. The second he falls, detonate the chandelier and it'll take him out no problem.

It really is all about learning the levels like the back of your hand and practicing the different methods of eliminating targets over and over again, to the point that you don't have to think of the steps. It's good fun once you do that.

oh i do that and every time i always push the chandler to easily or too late lol...

I wonder if Goldeneye will be remade by IO interactive lol
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    edited November 2020 Posts: 294
    i still feel like i am dreaming!

oh i do that and every time i always push the chandler to easily or too late lol...

I wonder if Goldeneye will be remade by IO interactive lol

Use your remote bomb instead, then drop down on the ledge above the seating area so you can detonate it the second he falls. Much easier than trying to break it manually.
    octofinger wrote: »
    Excellent news and long overdue - should be a good one. And frankly even if it's just mediocre, I think Bond fans will take to it like a drowning man to a lifeboat.

Here again, I suspect EON is wishing they'd gotten moving a hell of a lot sooner. The shutdown(s) related to COVID would appear to be a perfect time to release a video game rather than a movie. If it had come out some months ago, it might have made a bigger profit.
    It may end up coming out relatively close to NTTD which is good, I suppose. But dammit, it's hard not to see the impact of all the delays that the various Bond properties have gone through. . .

I think we are going to wait a couple of years for this game. It's more likely to be positioned as a tide-over between 25 and 26 a) due to timing and b) as to not confuse people too much between Craig, the next Bond actor, the "original Bond" of this game and all other historic Bonds.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    octofinger wrote: »
    Excellent news and long overdue - should be a good one. And frankly even if it's just mediocre, I think Bond fans will take to it like a drowning man to a lifeboat.

I think we are going to wait a couple of years for this game. It's more likely to be positioned as a tide-over between 25 and 26 a) due to timing and b) as to not confuse people too much between Craig, the next Bond actor, the "original Bond" of this game and all other historic Bonds.
    Agreed. My guess is late 2022 for the 60th?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    i still feel like i am dreaming!

tumblr_pop12lEZaD1s9xw57o3_500.gifv

;)

At least it's gone to a good devoper this time.
    After years of hoping, waiting, wishing, this is it. What a great surprise. Hitman series is fantastic. Can't wait
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Having a new game is incredible as itself. What's even more significant for me is that they actually did not give up on the gaming completely. The market screamed for some kind of a Bond copycat of "Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes" for mobile and free to play, licensed multiplayer from Goldeneye fueled by cosmetics and expansions from other movies
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    the last game was what- 2012? I remember being 10 years old and pre ordering it and being so excited, tracking it when it was shipping, and then playing it all day after school. It's been such a shame there hasn't been a bond game since, and honestly I never thought there ever would be one again. This news really made my day and gave me serious nostalgia.
  • mgeoff88mgeoff88 At a nice safehouse in Rome... Erm... Bay Area, CA
    Wow! I still can’t believe today’s announcement. If the first game does well, which I believe it will, we could be looking at sequels.

The future of 007 video games is looking bright.
    so here is a question is there anyone going to be playing through the games in anticipation of Project 007
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Finally some good news for us all. Finally.
    so here is a question is there anyone going to be playing through the games in anticipation of Project 007

I am currently weighing which of the current Hitman games I should get. With the limited time I have for gaming, playing all three (once the third is released in January) would probably get me to 2022...
    Count me in if it is in VR otherwise I'll stick with "I Expect You To Die" for my 007 style game experience.
  • RyanRyan Canada

I am currently weighing which of the current Hitman games I should get. With the limited time I have for gaming, playing all three (once the third is released in January) would probably get me to 2022...

They are essentially all "one" game - the missions from the first game are playable in the second (via expansion) and likewise for the upcoming third game. I recommend getting Hitman 2 with the Legacy pack (all locations from the first game). That way, if you do find yourself with a bit more time to game, you can transfer all your progress (rank, missions, and unlockables) to Hitman 3.

Hitman 2/Legacy are on sale all the time across the consoles so it can be had for cheap too, which is always nice.