Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2020 Posts: 23,105

Second lockdown in England
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    In Australia the state borders are closed i think since about march.
    That's what dumb ass political leaders we have in this country.

Any other countries where state, provincial etc borders are closed ?

That's why I have never voted for anyone EVER in council, state and nationwide elections.

Australia is a political mess and they are proving it now more than ever.

wouldn't that be the ultimate reason you SHOULD vote? To try and get a normal person into politics? Even if you don't succeed in getting your candidate in there, at least you tried. Now you're at the mercy of all those other bright people. Or go and become a candidate yourself....

AFAK France has prohibited travel between parts of the country, but @Gerard can tell you more about that than I can.

• 007InAction007InAction Australia

That's why I have never voted for anyone EVER in council, state and nationwide elections.

wouldn't that be the ultimate reason you SHOULD vote? To try and get a normal person into politics? Even if you don't succeed in getting your candidate in there, at least you tried. Now you're at the mercy of all those other bright people. Or go and become a candidate yourself....

AFAK France has prohibited travel between parts of the country, but @Gerard can tell you more about that than I can.

In Australia we have a coalition government (2 political parties, liberal and national). Bizarre or what ?

How many other countries have a similar thing ?

We have 6 states and 2 territories in australia and now they are like separate countries thanks to the political system here in dealing with this virus.

What's the political system like in your country Ross ?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

He and his ilk are the ones who should stay at home.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

He and his ilk are the ones who should stay at home.

The virus and the handling of the virus are two different things entirely that's for sure.

Not much change for me as I am a Key worker plus I will be running and rucking when I can.
    We do live in interesting times.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

In Australia we have a coalition government (2 political parties, liberal and national). Bizarre or what ?

We have 6 states and 2 territories in australia and now they are like separate countries thanks to the political system here in dealing with this virus.

Well, Britain, the USA, and probably some other former British colonies that have that system. As I understand it your neighbours on Aotaroa used to have it but changed to a multi-party systeem some decade ago?
    We've had a multy-party system with the one-man-one-vote principle, so no electoral representatives, just plain old get enough votes and you'll end up in parliament. So right now we've got a government consisting of 3 or 4 parties, and 4-5 more in parliament ( I don't keep track tbh). It's all a bit convoluted, but it means they always have to work together which means no party will get to execute it's (radical) full agenda.

edited November 2020 Posts: 2,341

Well, Britain, the USA, and probably some other former British colonies that have that system. As I understand it your neighbours on Aotaroa used to have it but changed to a multi-party systeem some decade ago?
    We've had a multy-party system with the one-man-one-vote principle, so no electoral representatives, just plain old get enough votes and you'll end up in parliament. So right now we've got a government consisting of 3 or 4 parties, and 4-5 more in parliament ( I don't keep track tbh). It's all a bit convoluted, but it means they always have to work together which means no party will get to execute it's (radical) full agenda.

Australia has had 5 prime ministers since 2013 because some have been sacked by their own party ????

Australia still has the queen of england as their monarch ????
    Australia had a referendum about 20 years ago trying to get rid of her but that failed.
    We have seperate council,state and federal elections.
    They love their elections over here..... :-O

Australia has had 5 prime ministers since 2013 because some have been sacked by their own party ????

Australia had a referendum about 20 years ago trying to get rid of her but that failed.

I wouldn't worry too much about the monarchy. We've had one for more than 200 years as well. As long as they're strictly ceremonial they add something to the mix. But indeed, the way you guys manage to get that 2-party system mixed up with inner-party politics is beyond compare. With all its' drawbacks, a multyparty system works best.

I wouldn't worry too much about the monarchy. We've had one for more than 200 years as well. As long as they're strictly ceremonial they add something to the mix. But indeed, the way you guys manage to get that 2-party system mixed up with inner-party politics is beyond compare. With all its' drawbacks, a multyparty system works best.

A prime minister got sacked by the governor general (the queen's representative) in the 1970's.

Australia's Health Minister Greg Hunt has said that when a COVID-19 vaccine becomes available the elderly, health care professionals and aged care workers will be first in line to receive it.

Addressing the media this morning, Mr Hunt said over time every single person who wishes to be vaccinated will be.
    "What we want to do is to give every Australian who seeks to be vaccinated, that capacity of the course of the coming twelve months," Mr Hunt said.
    Some new cases were reported in my hometown this weekend. As a result, the municipal chief physician announced today that all organized leisure activity, practises and matches will be cancelled until next week. The same applies to all meetings and events, as well as practises in the culture and voluntary sector.

In addition, there is a stoppage of visits to all nursing homes, schools have canceled all meetings and parent meetings. The cinema will also close, and events in the local culture house have also been canceled. The situation is monitored continuously, and there may be changes during the week.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Some new cases were reported in my hometown this weekend. As a result, the municipal chief physician announced today that all organized leisure activity, practises and matches will be cancelled until next week. The same applies to all meetings and events, as well as practises in the culture and voluntary sector.

In addition, there is a stoppage of visits to all nursing homes, schools have canceled all meetings and parent meetings. The cinema will also close, and events in the local culture house have also been canceled. The situation is monitored continuously, and there may be changes during the week.

They could have done with the bolded part.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 17,241
    They hope to know Wednesday if it's a situation the municipality have control over, or if it's an escalating situation. No surprise really that they took these measures.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    So here is a real life example of the county I live in in NY.

There is a maximum security prison that sits on the outskirts of our city. Last week there was confirmed cases of over 500 prisons. Normally not a problem as these pests rot in their cell, but for some reason, the 500 cases + were included in our county total.

Our good friend Cuomo stepped in and shut down our county for having a high cluster.

Fast forward to today, there was only 1 active case at this prison. How in the hell does 500 + cases a week ago turn into simply 1? All they all false tests?

This is a strong case in our area as to why we do not entirely believe all the numbers reported. Its just not possible. After our numbers dropped back down, Cuomo has yet to give us the green light to open up. More business suffer for no reason.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Which county? Fake news, I'm afraid.
    I won't tell you the actually county for security reasons, but it's central NY near the boarder of PA. Our governor is an idiot.
    I won't tell you the actually county for security reasons, but it's central NY near the boarder of PA. Our governor is an idiot.

Just checking this map, and looking at the numbers, I don't think those 500, if even true, would've made that much difference in the decision.

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/03/see-new-york-state-map-of-coronavirus-cases-county-by-county.html
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    , Normally not a problem as these pests rot in their cell,
    I find your terminology extremely inciting, hateful, inhumane and barbarous. Prison inmates, especially in the US where there are far too many for far too long sentences, do not qualify as "pests". I'm not surprised you seem to admire Trump.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I find your terminology extremely inciting, hateful, inhumane and barbarous. Prison inmates, especially in the US where there are far too many for far too long sentences, do not qualify as "pests". I'm not surprised you seem to admire Trump.

I concur.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

+1.
    That's fine, do you have any idea what kind of prisoners are held up in a maximum security prison? murders, rapists, etc. They are what they are...pests.

And echo and Commander Ross, believe what you want, but the facts are here. In my county, the governor shut us down for Covid clusters. A large number was attributed to the maximum security prison. But you guys know the facts so were good.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That's fine, do you have any idea what kind of prisoners are held up in a maximum security prison? murders, rapists, etc. They are what they are...pests.
    Thanks for the reassertion of your limited understanding of humanity, many there are there for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But it IS comforting to see the world in black & white....

haha wrong place wrong time..gtfo
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,518
    haha wrong place wrong time..gtfo

He can stay, you gtfo. Or stay if you want, who cares.

If you're going to stay, you may as well educate yourself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wrongful_convictions_in_the_United_States

The sources are all at the bottom of the page.
    Also the percentage of prison inmates that are black is nearly triple the percentage of Americans that are black, so unless you think skin pigmentation somehow makes a person more susceptible to crime committing... you have to think something with the legal/prison system isn't exactly right.
    17 mill mink is to be killed in DK , i doubt theyre gonna keep the fur due to virus risk......poor animals :(

And echo and Commander Ross, believe what you want, but the facts are here. In my county, the governor shut us down for Covid clusters. A large number was attributed to the maximum security prison. But you guys know the facts so were good.
    So either you're telling us that your county is full of maximum security prisons rife with covid, or there's only one maximum security prison and the chances that it was the sole reason for the shutdown was nought.
    https://eu.lohud.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/06/new-york-shut-businesses-schools-hardest-hit-parts-covid-clusters-how-work/5900280002/
    If your county is Rockland county, there have been almost 19.000 positive tests, which would amount to 38 maximum security prisons. If it is Orange county, with 14k+ cases it would amount to 28 max. security prisons.

I'm sorry, but your story doesn't add up. I understand it's easy to take it out on people you don't have any respect for anyway, but blaming them for the misfortunes of everybody whilst they're already locked up is just going for the scapegoat that's easiest to blame.
    Tracy wrote: »
    17 mill mink is to be killed in DK , i doubt theyre gonna keep the fur due to virus risk......poor animals :(

Yes, the virus has spread very fast amongst the farms so it seems. I don't see why they wouldn't use the fur though. And I wouldn't worry about the 'poor animals' considering the horrific lives they lead.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    [I don't see why they wouldn't use the fur though. And I wouldn't worry about the 'poor animals' considering the horrific lives they lead.
    Yes, being killed was their fate anyway...whatever one thinks of it. Same as with farm animals killed for their meat. And no, I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, and I like meat. I do try to find some where I can be rather sure the animals have been treated half-way nicely before being killed in the least offensive way.

I just don't think we need fur coats anymore, and one shouldn't put minks in tiny cages before killing them for their furs. Which in fact isn't legal any more in Germany, and I'm not saying we are in any way progressive overall. But I do agree that culling them in this case doesn't change much about their fate when it seems necessary.
    It amazed me that you people would think I am lying about the report of the cluster cases in our county and it being shut down. As I mentioned our county has been shutdown due to covid cluster, mostly coming from the prison, with nearly 500 plus cases in week, down to very few in such a short period of time.

The odd part of this shutdown is, previously prisoners were never reported in our count, but miraculously they are now.

Below are the links for proof:

https://www.mytwintiers.com/health/coronavirus/chemung-county-reports-drop-in-covid-19-cases-at-elmira-correctional-facility-161-active-cases-in-county/

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-updated-covid-19-micro-cluster-focus-zones

So either you're telling us that your county is full of maximum security prisons rife with covid, or there's only one maximum security prison and the chances that it was the sole reason for the shutdown was nought.
    https://eu.lohud.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/06/new-york-shut-businesses-schools-hardest-hit-parts-covid-clusters-how-work/5900280002/
    If your county is Rockland county, there have been almost 19.000 positive tests, which would amount to 38 maximum security prisons. If it is Orange county, with 14k+ cases it would amount to 28 max. security prisons.

I'm sorry, but your story doesn't add up. I understand it's easy to take it out on people you don't have any respect for anyway, but blaming them for the misfortunes of everybody whilst they're already locked up is just going for the scapegoat that's easiest to blame.
    Tracy wrote: »

Yes, the virus has spread very fast amongst the farms so it seems. I don't see why they wouldn't use the fur though. And I wouldn't worry about the 'poor animals' considering the horrific lives they lead.

This statement speaks volumes.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,105
    BREAKING: Coronavirus vaccine: PM confirms 40 million doses ordered