Sir Sean Connery 1930 - 2020

Comments

Ive seen Anderson Tapes , never saw The Hill although they showed it on TNT over and over
    cwl007 wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Over the years, one aspect of Connery’s work has gone under appreciated IMO: his cooperative nature with his peers. I was reminded on this – again – after reading one of the reader comments that accompanied his New York Times’ obit. After appearing in the 1970 film, “The Molly Maguires”, Connery wrote to costume designer Dorothy Jeakins and thanked her for her work.

From her obit:
    https://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/30/arts/dorothy-jeakins-dies-at-81-designed-costumes-for-films.html?searchResultPosition=1

(She said the only fan letter she ever received from an actor came from Sean Connery, after she dressed him for "The Molly Maguires," a 1970 film about a secret society of Irish mine workers in 19th-century Pennsylvania. "Your clothes made me feel like a coal miner," he wrote.)

Despite his many battles with studio heads, in every interview that I’ve ever read, Connery is always described as a very supportive and giving actor. Even Mie Hama (YOLT) – described working with Connery in glowing terms.
    That's one of those little things that people don't hear about, preferring to dwell on the more controversial things.

During quarantine, I read one of the many Connery bios I have and a line stood out that summed him up. He mentioned that he would never tear up a hotel room or do something similarly destructive just because he's a star because he thought more about the person who would have to clean up after that. That's class.

I own a couple of good books on Connery, both written by great people within the Bond world, Lee Phieffer and Robert Sellers, and have enjoyed dipping into them again over the weekend.
    BT3366 - Could you recommend a good Connery Bio that you read during quarantine please?
    It is a shame we never got the definitive autobiography but I'd like to read the next best thing.

Sorry for the late reply. The one I read over quarantine was "Sean Connery: From 007 to Hollywood Icon" by Andrew Yule. It came out in '92 so it only covers up to Medicine Man, but as I mentioned, I've read so much about him in the past and found fresh items I hadn't before with it, although who's to say that info hadn't appeared in another. I picked it up at a closeout book sale for about $2 and have seen it readily available on eBay.

Another more lightweight book with a lot of nice pictures and overview is "Sean Connery: A Biography" by Bob McCabe. Also got that at a library sale.

I'd avoid "Sean Connery: The Measure of a Man" by Christopher Bray. I was looking forward to that one as it came out in about 2012 or 2011 and was more up to date, but the author's writing style was just irritating and not much in it that we didn't already know.

I also love the Lee Pheiffer/Philip Lisa "Films of Sean Connery" you mentioned and own both versions. Was looking though it last night. I have "Being a Scot" but haven't bothered to read it yet.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Over the years, one aspect of Connery’s work has gone under appreciated IMO: his cooperative nature with his peers. I was reminded on this – again – after reading one of the reader comments that accompanied his New York Times’ obit. After appearing in the 1970 film, “The Molly Maguires”, Connery wrote to costume designer Dorothy Jeakins and thanked her for her work.

From her obit:
    https://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/30/arts/dorothy-jeakins-dies-at-81-designed-costumes-for-films.html?searchResultPosition=1

(She said the only fan letter she ever received from an actor came from Sean Connery, after she dressed him for "The Molly Maguires," a 1970 film about a secret society of Irish mine workers in 19th-century Pennsylvania. "Your clothes made me feel like a coal miner," he wrote.)

Despite his many battles with studio heads, in every interview that I’ve ever read, Connery is always described as a very supportive and giving actor. Even Mie Hama (YOLT) – described working with Connery in glowing terms.
    That's one of those little things that people don't hear about, preferring to dwell on the more controversial things.

During quarantine, I read one of the many Connery bios I have and a line stood out that summed him up. He mentioned that he would never tear up a hotel room or do something similarly destructive just because he's a star because he thought more about the person who would have to clean up after that. That's class.

I own a couple of good books on Connery, both written by great people within the Bond world, Lee Phieffer and Robert Sellers, and have enjoyed dipping into them again over the weekend.
    BT3366 - Could you recommend a good Connery Bio that you read during quarantine please?
    It is a shame we never got the definitive autobiography but I'd like to read the next best thing.

Sorry for the late reply. The one I read over quarantine was "Sean Connery: From 007 to Hollywood Icon" by Andrew Yule. It came out in '92 so it only covers up to Medicine Man, but as I mentioned, I've read so much about him in the past and found fresh items I hadn't before with it, although who's to say that info hadn't appeared in another. I picked it up at a closeout book sale for about $2 and have seen it readily available on eBay.

Another more lightweight book with a lot of nice pictures and overview is "Sean Connery: A Biography" by Bob McCabe. Also got that at a library sale.

I'd avoid "Sean Connery: The Measure of a Man" by Christopher Bray. I was looking forward to that one as it came out in about 2012 or 2011 and was more up to date, but the author's writing style was just irritating and not much in it that we didn't already know.

I also love the Lee Pheiffer/Philip Lisa "Films of Sean Connery" you mentioned and own both versions. Was looking though it last night. I have "Being a Scot" but haven't bothered to read it yet.

Thank you for that, really appreciate the recommendations. I'll try to pick those up on eBay. Just on your point of picking one up at a library sale... It's great when you stumble across Bond gems at second hand book shops etc, I don't manage it very often but have found vintage copies of novels on occasion. Such a buzz.
    Please don't worry about the late reply, there's been so much tribute traffic on this thread I just thought you'd understandably missed it in the noise.
    Thanks again.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    From the Official James Bond account on Twitter:

On this day in 1961 Sean Connery was announced as the first actor to play James Bond. Producer Cubby Broccoli said: “Connery walked into our office and had a strength and energy about him which I found riveting.”

A "tribute" (and i use the term loosely) video is also uploaded.

Not exactly given the send off he deserved. Certainly not as moving as the tribute they paid to Sir Roger.

The only real ding on that video for me is that they used David Arnold's arrangement of the Bond theme rather than John Barry's original 1962 recording. It's the kind of anachronism that bugs me. It's almost a step away from playing "Nobody Does it Better" for a Connery tribute video.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have to agree with you @R1s1ngs0n I was eating breakfast this morning and feeling the same. I didn’t know Sean Connery, but like the passing of Roger Moore, it’s made me feel empty. Sad. And grieving for a childhood hero.
    I have been watching a variety of Connery films since his passing .
    The Russia House - very underrated and worth a watch.
    The Rock - a lot of fun and worth a watch. Easily the best Michael Bay film. But Connery steals the show.
    The Hunt For Red October - Another great film on Sean’s resume.
    Not sure if I can bring myself to watch The Untouchables yet. That one always brings a tear to my eye.
    It’s a great loss to the world of film. Watching his films again, it’s a credit too him, that he really was an exceptional actor.
    The tributes alone confirm to me how loved he is.
    I feel the greatest honour I can give, is too rewatch his work, and enjoy it like I have before.
    Tar
    jorgem wrote: »
    The Avengers is the only movie where Sean Connery played a bad guy. I've seen that movie in theaters back in 1998.

He played a bad guy in Tarzan's Greatest Adventure too. A few years before Dr No.

I remember reading an article about Tarzan saying they wanted him in future Tarzan movies as the title character. They were meant to discuss this after he'd finished the shooting that little spy thriller he had been cast in.

Regarding The Avengers, I thought he was the only good thing in a terrible movie and the only one who looked like he was having fun.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    From a dramatic acting POV I can see that The Hill or The offence or The Anderson Tapes are perhaps among his better performances.
    However for me his most out and out enjoyable performance was as Henry Jones. He was absolutely terrific in that film. His chemistry with Harrison Ford was superb and Connery's role was just so much fun. You could see he clearly enjoyed that role and I find this it the most enjoyable to watch.
    That's my touch point role to remember him by.
    Yes, 100% agreed. I've always rated The Anderson Tapes very highly. It was the first major film to focus on the pervasiveness of electronic surveillance, from security cameras in public places to hidden recording devices. It now looks somewhat dated due to the advancement of surveillance technology, but it's still an absolute corker of a movie. It also marks the feature film debut of Christopher Walken.

I agree, I watched it again the other night. Very good BluRay transfer. Connery was very good at playing men who were not exactly the smartest. Like his tough ex-con in Anderson Tapes, the deluded Daniel in The Man Who Would be King, and his man-child Robin Hood in the marvellous Robin and Marian. Also, rewatching Robin and Marian, you realise what superb chemistry he had with Robert Shaw. And the two heavy weight actors did two of cinemas' greatest and most brutal fight scenes, the confined train fist fight in FRWL and the gruelling sword fight, in the wide open, in Robin and Marian.
    Superbly well put. I can still recall going to see Robin and Marian in the cinema in '76 just to see the cinematic reunion of Shaw and Connery. My own personal favourite was The Man Who Would be King, which I saw the previous year.
    From a dramatic acting POV I can see that The Hill or The offence or The Anderson Tapes are perhaps among his better performances.
    However for me his most out and out enjoyable performance was as Henry Jones. He was absolutely terrific in that film. His chemistry with Harrison Ford was superb and Connery's role was just so much fun. You could see he clearly enjoyed that role and I find this it the most enjoyable to watch.
    That's my touch point role to remember him by.
    Yes, 100% agreed. I've always rated The Anderson Tapes very highly. It was the first major film to focus on the pervasiveness of electronic surveillance, from security cameras in public places to hidden recording devices. It now looks somewhat dated due to the advancement of surveillance technology, but it's still an absolute corker of a movie. It also marks the feature film debut of Christopher Walken.

I agree, I watched it again the other night. Very good BluRay transfer. Connery was very good at playing men who were not exactly the smartest. Like his tough ex-con in Anderson Tapes, the deluded Daniel in The Man Who Would be King, and his man-child Robin Hood in the marvellous Robin and Marian. Also, rewatching Robin and Marian, you realise what superb chemistry he had with Robert Shaw. And the two heavy weight actors did two of cinemas' greatest and most brutal fight scenes, the confined train fist fight in FRWL and the gruelling sword fight, in the wide open, in Robin and Marian.
    Superbly well put. I can still recall going to see Robin and Marian in the cinema in '76 just to see the cinematic reunion of Shaw and Connery. My own personal favourite was The Man Who Would be King, which I saw the previous year.

That has to have one of the greatest endings in cinema:

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    For those curious, here's his list of films ranked according to IMDb users: Sort by IMDb Rating - Highest Rated Feature Films With Sean Connery

Admittedly, I've never seen THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING. I checked earlier to purchase a blu-ray of it, but it's currently out of print with copies listed as high as $150... May have to resort to renting it on streaming.

If you can watch Region B Blu-rays, a German BD with both English and German voice tracks and English and German subtitles (optional, of course) is available for EUR 10.89 plus shipping on amazon.de. For some strange reason, all other English versions - BD, DVD and VHS(!!!) - presently ask for EUR 405.58 plus EUR 20.00 for shipping. A glitch? A scam?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Amazing film. Easily one of his very best.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Someone’s started a petition to rename Edinburgh Airport in honour of Sir Sean, which seems like a nice idea.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    That's a great idea, hope it happens.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    mtm wrote: »
    Someone’s started a petition to rename Edinburgh Airport in honour of Sir Sean, which seems like a nice idea.
    Where do I sign?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited November 2020 Posts: 2,625
    A better posting of Turner Classic Movie's tribute to Sir Sean Connery plus an "Up-Close" profile on Connery. Forgive me if the latter is a re-post.

People Magazine's November 16th issue has a tribute to him, but given that he passed away on a Saturday, I think that many of the printed tributes will be delayed until next week.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    RIP, Sean.

I still have fond memories of my first exposure to James Bond watching my father’s VHS tapes as a child, the screen awash with you in Goldfinger. You defined the quintessential cinematic Bond with swagger and style.

In a year where we’ve lost Michael Lonsdale, Honor Blackman and Diana Rigg, to lose you too is truly heartbreaking.

You had an indelible impact on me and the cinema and your legacy will last forever.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    It’s been 5 days since Sir Sean passed away and while I’m not overcome with sadness like I was on the day I heard the news, I still have a hard time processing that he’s gone.
    It just seems unreal.
    I agree. It feels strange.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 11,189
    I admit I'm "feeling" his loss more than I expected. I didn't even know the man yet It feels like a true titan has gone. I was sad with Roger but accepted it fairly quickly. With Sean I think I'm still coming to terms with it as others seem to be.

It's weird to think that the young man we see in Dr. No and those early 60s films isn't here anymore.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Sean Connery’s gun from first James Bond film ‘Dr. No’ to be sold at auction

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F201110105605-juliens-auctions-pistols-split.jpg

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/sean-connery-bond-gun-auction-intl-hnk-scli/index.html
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,526
    January issue of Empire will have this cover in limited markets:

127764267_10159214680262708_5362235999898502483_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=mwT-ALeAlWcAX8U80IK&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr1-1.fna&oh=eb32a0cdf2609d5ba810de944b7a04cf&oe=5FE2605A

Same content as the WandaVision issue.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Also BBC2 are showing The Untouchables and The Hill (for the first time on terrestrial in 22 years) on Dec 12th.
    Sky 1 have Red October on the 29th November, and Talking Pictures TV are showing Another Time Another Place on 1st Dec and Molly Maguires on the 12th.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I’ve been watching his movies all month... nice to see ones always meant to watch but never got round to: the Molly Maguires, the Anderson Tapes, Great Train Robbery, Highlander.
    I just watched a rare Connery movie yesterday - The Next Man.

Connery is almost Bond-like in certain scenes. He falls for an assassin female, he is suited throughout, and wears a terry towel top when he is in the Bahamas, sporting short hair and a trimmed goatee.

Its probably the coolest he has looked since DAF, as by the mid 70's he had that massive greying beard or heavy moustache and mutton chops in the likes of Man who would be King, ageing him terribly in those mid 70's movies.

Music by Michael Kamen, and Adolfo Celi from TB makes an appearance too.
    Watching Goldfinger right now
    Also BBC2 are showing The Untouchables and The Hill (for the first time on terrestrial in 22 years) on Dec 12th.
    Sky 1 have Red October on the 29th November, and Talking Pictures TV are showing Another Time Another Place on 1st Dec and Molly Maguires on the 12th.

Excellent, BBC 2 HD show excellent prints of classic films, so we can see the superb The Hill in HD. Can't wait.

• ColonelSun wrote: »

Excellent, BBC 2 HD show excellent prints of classic films, so we can see the superb The Hill in HD. Can't wait.

The Hill needs to have a Blu-ray release.
  • I edited this video for my YouTube channel to remember Sir Sean Connery ..

Hope you like.

The Hill needs to have a Blu-ray release.

Yes, it does. Maybe someone like Arrow might do it and provide good extras.

127764267_10159214680262708_5362235999898502483_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=mwT-ALeAlWcAX8U80IK&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr1-1.fna&oh=eb32a0cdf2609d5ba810de944b7a04cf&oe=5FE2605A

Absolute disgrace that Empire put a bloody Marvel tv show on the front cover of that issue intitally,delegating Connery to an '' Also in this issue ''.I hear there was a huge backlash against that on social media and therefore the magazine made the Connery cover available as a limited edition.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Spanish magazine: cover + poster

BZtEVtb.jpg

(TSWLM is part of a series. Yes, it's a poster too).
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,526
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Absolute disgrace that Empire put a bloody Marvel tv show on the front cover of that issue intitally,delegating Connery to an '' Also in this issue ''.I hear there was a huge backlash against that on social media and therefore the magazine made the Connery cover available as a limited edition.

I definitely thought the wandavision cover was announced before Sean’s death but I could be wrong. I don’t think there’s any Connery content in the issue for this reason
    EDIT: never mind! Just looked at the wandavision cover again.