Sir Sean Connery 1930 - 2020

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's fun, I never saw that at the time.
    The Avengers is the only movie where Sean Connery played a bad guy. I've seen that movie in theaters back in 1998.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    Tar
    jorgem wrote: »
    The Avengers is the only movie where Sean Connery played a bad guy. I've seen that movie in theaters back in 1998.

He played a bad guy in Tarzan's Greatest Adventure too. A few years before Dr No.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I'm afraid my memorial movie was Zardoz, which some folk on Twitter were viewing last night. I hadn't seen it before. It cheered me up, at least!
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 3,333
    ShowBiz%20Team-0-0-0-0-1591283238.jpg
    Even back then, Connery was an absolute beast wasn't he. Look at the size of him compared to the others.

In another life, if he'd have signed for Matt Busby, I could see him easily going toe to toe against Billy Bremner and Norman Hunter etc.
    Absolutely. Towering over everybody else like he did in his role as James Bond.
    mtm wrote: »
    Tommy Steele isn't in that photo is he? I can't spot him.
    But it does look like Connery is stood next to Reggie Kray! :D
    Correct. Tommy Steele was one of the subs on the bench that day, so didn't feature in the first eleven photocall, though he did feature in the programme. This game was televised on British independent TV in the early 60's. And no, that's not Reggie Kray!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I'm afraid my memorial movie was Zardoz, which some folk on Twitter were viewing last night. I hadn't seen it before. It cheered me up, at least!

I don't think anyone would claim it featured Connery's best performance, but Zardoz is a fine memorial movie. It shows Connery could retain and project dignity and authority even in a movie that was thoroughly insane. Mind-bending wardrobe choices aside, it's a worthwhile sci-fi film, full of ideas, unforgettable images, and humor that is sometimes intentional and un- at the same time.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The only part of Zardoz I've ever seen was a brief clip of when Connery threw a woman's corpse into a haystack and it was obviously a fake dummy.

It reminds me of when you wake up the next morning after a huge party. Everyone is still dead asleep on the couches and floor. You're bored, so you turn on the TV to channel surf, because smartphones don't even exist yet. You settle for ZARDOZ playing on one of the channels because everything else is just infomercial programming or weather news. Someone briefly wakes up to see what you're watching but then immediately goes back to sleep because it looks "boring". You don't understand what the hell is going on in the movie, but you watch anyway and try to enjoy a slice of pizza that had been sitting inside a box on top of the coffee table for 12 hours.

But that was when I watched KRULL.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Zardoz was one of the weirdest movies I ever saw. Who can't love a giant floating stone head that launches guns out of it's mouth? :D
    Outside of Bond, to me his second greatest role was as John Patrick Mason in THE ROCK. A true iconic screen badass if there ever was one!!! Sean simply makes that movie!!! In fact if I had to pick the greatest single action hero of the 90s that would be it! And I’m not even one of those who consider THE ROCK to be the best action film of the 90s. It’s a good one but there are many others that are far better. But Sir Sean simply steals every scene he’s in in that one! In fact I get misty-eyed (I kid you not) during that brief father-daughter reunion between Connery and Claire Forlani outside the Palace of Fine Arts in San Fran. The way The Big Man plays it, Zimmer’s score. I find it a very touching scene. Whether it’s the more tender moments or the more badass ones Sir Sean completely nails it!

The Rock is the film I watched on my memorial tribute on Saturday evening, partly because my wife suggested it. Still a great film for its genre. I've actually long considered it my favorite '90s action film and a lot of that is due to the chemistry between Connery and Cage. Other really good character actors in it and some fun jokes in the script. The "losers always whine about their best" never fails to bring a smile. Also nice to see character development in Ed Harris' main villain. The other baddies are about as stock characters as they come, though.

The film is also a sentimental favorite as along with the first MI film, The Rock was one of the films my wife and I went to when she was pregnant with our daughter. I still tell her those indirectly were among her first films.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 6,682
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Outside of Bond, to me his second greatest role was as John Patrick Mason in THE ROCK. A true iconic screen badass if there ever was one!!! Sean simply makes that movie!!! In fact if I had to pick the greatest single action hero of the 90s that would be it! And I’m not even one of those who consider THE ROCK to be the best action film of the 90s. It’s a good one but there are many others that are far better. But Sir Sean simply steals every scene he’s in in that one! In fact I get misty-eyed (I kid you not) during that brief father-daughter reunion between Connery and Claire Forlani outside the Palace of Fine Arts in San Fran. The way The Big Man plays it, Zimmer’s score. I find it a very touching scene. Whether it’s the more tender moments or the more badass ones Sir Sean completely nails it!

The Rock is the film I watched on my memorial tribute on Saturday evening, partly because my wife suggested it. Still a great film for its genre. I've actually long considered it my favorite '90s action film and a lot of that is due to the chemistry between Connery and Cage. Other really good character actors in it and some fun jokes in the script. The "losers always whine about their best" never fails to bring a smile. Also nice to see character development in Ed Harris' main villain. The other baddies are about as stock characters as they come, though.

The film is also a sentimental favorite as along with the first MI film, The Rock was one of the films my wife and I went to when she was pregnant with our daughter. I still tell her those indirectly were among her first films.
    A scene in The Rock that I really like is Mason meeting Hummel. Some very good dialogue there. "This isn't combat. It's an act of lunacy, general, sir." Connery and Harris are wonderful together. They also shared the screen the year before that, in Just Cause.

The Rock is very silly and exaggerated in certain parts, but I appreciate that quality as it contributes to creating a sense of crazy spectacle, not unlike Moonraker. And it works well when balanced with a certain seriousness, in how the premise of the film is handled, in the character development of Hummel which you mentioned (that's an aspect that substantially enriches the story for me) and in Mason's relationship with his daughter. But the film has so much action and urgency, and it is so much about motion, that it needed good actors to make it work, to bring out the best of the story and give it more dramatic weight. And they did cast it right! I liked the film on first watch and I've slowly grown to love it, even though I still find the way the car chase is shot to be unsatisfactory.

I'm going to give Entrapment a watch sometime this week, and then I'm thinking about revisiting Finding Forrester.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I was devastated by the news on Saturday. He was my Bond for sure, even though I have only seen GF on the big screen. My Dad told me to watch a film called Doctor No. I was probably 8 or 9 years of age. I recall sitting in front of my family's Black and White TV and watching DN. I was mesmerized from the start and enjoyed the film. Back then no VCR much less on demand. So I had to wait till they were featured on the Sunday Night at the Movies on ABC. Slowly I started to watch them all.

Sean was always larger then life for me. Looking back on his career I see an artist who liked to try different genres and tackle different subjects. It is quite a body of work. Some stand outs for me are of course The Rock. Wonderful to see him being an action star in his 60's. Still believable as the MAN. Loved his turn in Finding Forester and loved the dynamic between him and the young actor. Outland is another hidden gem in my opinion. Great tension and a wonderful new take on an older plot line.

But it was always Bond that brought me the most joy. I could even overlook some of the substandard scripts he was handed. He had a way of being better than the material. I actually think his ultimate performance was in TB. He just oozed confidence and really owned the role. I must admit a guilty pleasure for me will always be DAF. When you think that this same actor delivered in FRWL and then was able to deliver the camp and lighter moments in DAF. Quite a range. I don't think any other Bond actor could handle the change in tone.

I shall pop in DN soon and take myself back to my black and white TV and remember what it was like to see him for the first time!
    I just watched The Hill again this afternoon. Great movie, great acting all round. Connery gets top billing yet he isn't really the main character.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Broke out my old PS2 this evening and started another playthrough of From Russia With Love.Its still hard to believe that in 2005 they managed to get Sean to come back and record new dialogue as James Bond.Its a really good game and well worth a look if Seans passing has made you nostalgic for some 60s set 007 action!

[url="[youtube]

It's a solid, overlooked game. Definitely worth the playthrough for a bit of sixties Bond nostalgia! And yes, it's amazing that Connery did it. It's a little strange to hear his aged voice over his sixties Bond character model, but that doesn't take away from the novelty of him truly playing James Bond one final time - at 75 years old!
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 2,887
    Surprised and delighted to see these on the streets of San Francisco.

cpmNlsk.jpg

zn3Da4e.jpg
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    For those curious, here's his list of films ranked according to IMDb users: Sort by IMDb Rating - Highest Rated Feature Films With Sean Connery

Admittedly, I've never seen THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING. I checked earlier to purchase a blu-ray of it, but it's currently out of print with copies listed as high as $150... May have to resort to renting it on streaming.
    To its credit the list gives high rankings to The Hill and The Man Who Would Be King. But I could construct an ossuary with all bones I have to pick with it. The Offence should be much higher than #23, since it has what might be Connery's best performance. Why Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is ranked higher than Robin and Marian--one of Connery's absolute best--is a question best answered by psychiatrists. Zardoz deserves much better than #49 and how on earth could Finding Forrester be ranked far above The Wind and the Lion?
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    From a dramatic acting POV I can see that The Hill or The offence or The Anderson Tapes are perhaps among his better performances.
    However for me his most out and out enjoyable performance was as Henry Jones. He was absolutely terrific in that film. His chemistry with Harrison Ford was superb and Connery's role was just so much fun. You could see he clearly enjoyed that role and I find this it the most enjoyable to watch.
    That's my touch point role to remember him by.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Agent_99 wrote: »

That seems a pretty solid list of his most memorable roles. I'd buy that boxset! :)
    It has took me until now to bring myself back onto the forum after learning the news of Sir Sean Connery's passing. So gutted as I was when Sir Roger Moore passed away.

Thoughts and prayers to all his immediate family and friends.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    A guilty pleasure of mine, and a film that never gets mentioned, is The Molly Maguires costarring Richard Harris.
    cwl007 wrote: »
    From a dramatic acting POV I can see that The Hill or The offence or The Anderson Tapes are perhaps among his better performances.
    However for me his most out and out enjoyable performance was as Henry Jones. He was absolutely terrific in that film. His chemistry with Harrison Ford was superb and Connery's role was just so much fun. You could see he clearly enjoyed that role and I find this it the most enjoyable to watch.
    Yes, 100% agreed. I've always rated The Anderson Tapes very highly. It was the first major film to focus on the pervasiveness of electronic surveillance, from security cameras in public places to hidden recording devices. It now looks somewhat dated due to the advancement of surveillance technology, but it's still an absolute corker of a movie. It also marks the feature film debut of Christopher Walken.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Yes, 100% agreed. I've always rated The Anderson Tapes very highly. It was the first major film to focus on the pervasiveness of electronic surveillance, from security cameras in public places to hidden recording devices. It now looks somewhat dated due to the advancement of surveillance technology, but it's still an absolute corker of a movie. It also marks the feature film debut of Christopher Walken.

I agree, I watched it again the other night. Very good BluRay transfer. Connery was very good at playing men who were not exactly the smartest. Like his tough ex-con in Anderson Tapes, the deluded Daniel in The Man Who Would be King, and his man-child Robin Hood in the marvellous Robin and Marian. Also, rewatching Robin and Marian, you realise what superb chemistry he had with Robert Shaw. And the two heavy weight actors did two of cinemas' greatest and most brutal fight scenes, the confined train fist fight in FRWL and the gruelling sword fight, in the wide open, in Robin and Marian.

• WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    edited November 2020 Posts: 294
    From the Official James Bond account on Twitter:

On this day in 1961 Sean Connery was announced as the first actor to play James Bond. Producer Cubby Broccoli said: “Connery walked into our office and had a strength and energy about him which I found riveting.”

A "tribute" (and i use the term loosely) video is also uploaded.

Not exactly given the send off he deserved. Certainly not as moving as the tribute they paid to Sir Roger.

ColonelSun wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »

I agree, I watched it again the other night. Very good BluRay transfer. Connery was very good at playing men who were not exactly the smartest. Like his tough ex-con in Anderson Tapes, the deluded Daniel in The Man Who Would be King, and his man-child Robin Hood in the marvellous Robin and Marian. Also, rewatching Robin and Marian, you realise what superb chemistry he had with Robert Shaw. And the two heavy weight actors did two of cinemas' greatest and most brutal fight scenes, the confined train fist fight in FRWL and the gruelling sword fight, in the wide open, in Robin and Marian.

That final duel in 'Robin and Marian' is indeed brutal and gruelling. One of my favourite moments is just before they fight, Robin and the Sheriff both kneel and pray. As they get up Robin helps The Sheriff to his feet!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    My favourite role of Sean Connery after Bond is William of Baskerville in The Name of the Rose. Because he played the anti Bond and he played him seemlessly.

Great movie, and i believe Michael Caine was first choice for the role. Much as I love Caine, Connery is much more suited.

I remember when I did my MA in England, a fellow student, Scottish lady, said that it made no sense to make Connery a monk, because Bond. She said "Sean Connery and sex go together, but a monk? No way". Or something of the sort. I didn't say anything but I should have replied that it made perfect sense in and of itself, as an elderly actor with lots of charisma was the perfect match to play an elderly mentor. And William of Baskerville is also assertive (sometimes to the point of arrogance), resourceful, knowledgeable, traits that he shared with Bond and that Connery mastered to a tee.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    It’s been 5 days since Sir Sean passed away and while I’m not overcome with sadness like I was on the day I heard the news, I still have a hard time processing that he’s gone.
    It just seems unreal.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    It’s been 5 days since Sir Sean passed away and while I’m not overcome with sadness like I was on the day I heard the news, I still have a hard time processing that he’s gone.
    It just seems unreal.

I feel the same way.He was just so larger than life that its hard to believe hes gone.However,i just prefer now to celebrate his life because he had a great one and met his end with dignity surrounded by family.Isnt that the best way to go?

There are still quite a few of his movies ( Mostly the 70s period ) i havnt seen.Watched The Anderson Tapes the other night and will give Robin And Marion a watch at the weekend.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 1,637
    I can imagine the man upstairs playing Bond theme when Sean went thru the pearly gates , he just utters "I AM known for other things than just Bond you know......sigh" ;)
    Maybe hes chatting with Shaw or Sakata up there......