Sir Sean Connery 1930 - 2020

Comments

I thought he was starting to look tired last few yrs so not surprised but am def sad , RIP
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 12,837
    RIP Sean Connery. I won't lie and say that he was my favourite, though I have always thought highly of his first two Bond films, and he was my dads #1 favourite Bond.

As for the twitter reaction, don't be surprised. This is the reaction his "imfamous" interview gets. But where is the twitter outrage towards Amber Heard (who admitted in audio to abusing, not just simply slapping, Johnny Depp, and goading him that as a man, he would not be believed)? Where's the twitter outrage towards Kelly Brook, who admitted to punching her partner? Women do it, and twitter call them "queens". Men do it, and... this happens.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending people attacking Connery over that interview (the man was born in 1930 ffs), and I wasn’t aware of the Kelly Brook thing, but I have seen a lot of outrage over Amber Heard to be fair.

I don’t think this criticism of Connery is a gender based issue, although I don’t doubt male victims have a harder time coming forward. I think the issue is people attempting to judge celebrities from a different time through the lens of modern values. Connery’s attitudes were wrong. They shouldn’t be celebrated, and it is a bit embarassing that he never gave any sign of changing or growing as the world did.

But we shouldn’t be slagging off an old man from a different time, on the day of his death, for being an old man from a different time. We shouldn’t hold him up as a saint either obviously, because none of us knew him personally (although I think the charity work he did is worth mentioning). But his films meant a lot to a lot of people, and we should be allowed to mourn that without that one example of him having outdated personal values (also worth mentioning that he seemed quite liberal in other ways too) being bought up and used against his legacy. Especially since those values are understandable (but still not defensible obviously) in the context of his rough, traumatic upbringing.

The distinction between art and artist, a person and what they achieved, is always important, but especially so with these older pop culture and historical figures, imo.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised how media coverage is really calling him 'James Bond star' so much: I thought he'd moved beyond the Bond role and was just known as 'movie star Sean Connery'.

Exactly. He was immensely popular in the later years of his film career in many ways for having moved beyond Bond. A true movie star.
    He was never going to shake that association, hard as he tried, and that's a tribute to doing the role so well. In all fairness, that's the first thought most people still have is the Bond association. But the stories I've read have talked about his other accomplishments as an actor and his background. Many of us wouldn't be in such a thread right now if we hadn't associated him with James Bond to begin with.
  • Tracy wrote: »
    I thought he was starting to look tired last few yrs so not surprised but am def sad , RIP

There was a photo on here I think with his wife not so long ago of him recently and I thought he looked very frail.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    From Sir Michael Caine:

"Sean Connery. A Great Star, Brilliant Actor and a wonderful friend. The Man Who Would Be King was THE KING"
    Tracy wrote: »

There was a photo on here I think with his wife not so long ago of him recently and I thought he looked very frail.

At first glance I thought it was Michael G Wilson when I saw the photo. Maybe it was Seans facial expression? But yes he was looking quite a bit thinner.
    From Sir Michael Caine:

"Sean Connery. A Great Star, Brilliant Actor and a wonderful friend. The Man Who Would Be King was THE KING"

Brilliant!
    They were a great team. Such a pity they didnt work together again!
    Strange, but Connery's death didn't really take me by surprise. I think it was because he had been ill for quite a while. But I'm glad that he finally received peace in the end. Another ironic thing about Connery is that my favorite role that he ever did was the one he had received his Oscar for - Jimmy Malone in "The Untouchables".

R.I.P. Sir Sean.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Since you're all in here, I have posted two new NTTD stills w DC and LL in prod. thread
  • I know he was 90 but this is terrible news. I was around in the 60s and it was such a thrill waiting for a Connery Bond film every year or so. Connery gave the series the momentum to see it through nearly 60 years. For me, easily the best Bond. My thoughts are with his family. Rest In Peace, Sean.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Awful news, really sad. RIP Sir Sean , you will always be missed. One of the biggest movie star of all time.
  • It's a remarkable thing to live to 90, and what a life he lived: establishing Bond as a cinematic icon, working with Hitchcock and many other greats, Oscar recognition for The Untouchables, a knighthood. I'll remember Connery as much for Bond as for some of his late career roles in fun films I grew up with: Entrapment, The Rock, and Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (a personal favorite performance for me), and I look forward to enjoying the great performances of his I have yet to see. Despite the declining health of his later years, leaving behind such a legacy, spending retirement golfing and watching live tennis, and passing in the night in the Bahamas sounds as fine a way to depart scene as any.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    =bg= wrote: »
    Curious why MI6 makes no mention of this on the main page; does anyone post on the weekend?

Too busy being politically correct Ninjas probably.

@BonSimonLeBon_1
    A simple question: why this ghastly comment in this thread of all places?

A main page post will be made soon enough. But our hosts are busy people, as are we all, who need to work, eat and sleep, as do we all.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    edited October 2020 Posts: 294
    This lovely tribute from the United States Naval Institute:

#RIP Sean Connery who has asked for his last ping. Connery passed away this morning at the age of 90. He will always be Captain Marko Ramius to us.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Devastating news. A legend, forever.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,948
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    From Sir Michael Caine:

Brilliant!
    They were a great team. Such a pity they didnt work together again!

Yes indeed, I'd have loved to see them star together again. Wonderful movie and two proper movie stars and great actors.
    Was going to watch The Untouchables tonight as a tribute,but i think his death scene in that film might hit me too hard right now ( It certainly made me cry when i first watched it as a teenager ).

Could go for a Bond but id rather watch a film of his i havnt yet seen.Might go for The Hill.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited October 2020 Posts: 6,784
    Il cinema è morto. Cinema is dead.

That's how I learned of the great Sir Sean Connery's passing. Through my Italian newspaper app. Dramatically beautiful, and even more so because it is true. At least for me it is. The epitome of male elegance. Of male charisma too. The mannerisms, the stylishness, and the accent mastered by no-one else but the man himself. Few actors could master so many emotions with so few expressions. Sir Sean Connery, he really did get the point. Farewell, great Sir :(
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm absolutely stunned by the news. Fairwell Sean and thank you for the wonderful times.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I really don't have words. 90 yrs old, a long life, in poor health ... but still this is a shock. I'll be watching FRWL today, my very favorite film of Sean's. Deepest condolences to his family.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He was my first Bond at 11 years old with Diamonds Are Forever. Right then I felt his presence. I sought out ever film he was in. Not crazy about Marnie, but The Hill was awesome. A Fine Madness was actually very funny. The Molly Maguires was impactful. Zardoz was weird (in a good way). Of course, Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, etc. But he got better as he got older... his turns in Highlander, Untouchables & Last Crusade practically *made* those movies. Red October rocked, but The Rock rocked even harder for me. However, my favourite film of his was Outland. It just felt so real, performance-wise. And his chemistry with Francis Sternhagen was amazing. You could see the possibility of romance if circumstance & time were just a little different.
    RIP Mr. Connery- you are legend...
  • Irish007Irish007 Dublin
    edited October 2020 Posts: 27
    RIP Sir Sean. It's only looking back over it I realise how a good number of my favourite films involve him. The Hunt For Red October, The Untouchables, The Man Who Would Be King.
    All the bad news this year....I really don't need this right now. RIP.
  • An absolute titan of the big screen. No one was cooler than Sir Sean. At 90, he had a terrific life and achieved more than most of us can hope.

He was such an incredibly naturalistic actor. Rarely with an ounce of artifice to his performances. They always felt organic, lived-in and real. A great 'movie star' in the truest sense of the term.

Even in spite of his terrific body of work, it can't be discounted quite how outstanding he was in those 007 films. He really nailed the character and made Bond the ultimate alpha but also with that glint of celtic mischief.

When Fleming wrote about Bond being as irresistible Bond was, I always found it a bit ridiculous. However, Connery undeniably gave flesh to that notion and made it beyond believable. He simply was 007. Seeing those clips on the news today of Sean in DN, just further reinforces the point that he really was an icon.

It's a shame that over the last 20 years or so, we haven't seen much of him on the big screen. Just imagine had he taken that Gandalf role in LOTR or The Matrix! That would have been awesome. A whole new generation would have seen his talent. Nonetheless, considering the success he had, I can't blame Sir Sean for retiring and taking it easy in the Bahamas.

He possibly had some unsavoury views that I disagree with. However, it's clear to me that Sir Sean was very good at his job. That's really what's important today.

sean-connery-james-bond-from-russia-with-love.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

For those interested, I believe the below South Bank interview was the last Connery did on Bond. He's very outgoing and happy to talk about the films. Also, he's a big Daniel Craig fan. Do we know if the pair ever met?

Finally, we should start a campaign for NTTD to have the below picture with the caption 'In Memory of Sean and Roger' at the end of the final credits. Simply put, there wouldn't be a Bond franchise and therefore a NTTD without the pair..........................How do we get this on the road???

• An absolute titan of the big screen. No one was cooler than Sir Sean. At 90, he had a terrific life and achieved more than most of us can hope.

He was such an incredibly naturalistic actor. Rarely with an ounce of artifice to his performances. They always felt organic, lived-in and real. A great 'movie star' in the truest sense of the term.

Even in spite of his terrific body of work, it can't be discounted quite how outstanding he was in those 007 films. He really nailed the character and made Bond the ultimate alpha but also with that glint of celtic mischief.

When Fleming wrote about Bond being as irresistible Bond was, I always found it a bit ridiculous. However, Connery undeniably gave flesh to that notion and made it beyond believable. He simply was 007. Seeing those clips on the news today of Sean in DN, just further reinforces the point that he really was an icon.

It's a shame that over the last 20 years or so, we haven't seen much of him on the big screen. Just imagine had he taken that Gandalf role in LOTR or The Matrix! That would have been awesome. A whole new generation would have seen his talent. Nonetheless, considering the success he had, I can't blame Sir Sean for retiring and taking it easy in the Bahamas.

He possibly had some unsavoury views that I disagree with. However, it's clear to me that Sir Sean was very good at his job. That's really what's important today.

sean-connery-james-bond-from-russia-with-love.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

For those interested, I believe the below South Bank interview was the last Connery did on Bond. He's very outgoing and happy to talk about the films. Also, he's a big Daniel Craig fan. Do we know if the pair ever met?

Finally, we should start a campaign for NTTD to have the below picture with the caption 'In Memory of Sean and Roger' at the end of the final credits. Simply put, there wouldn't be a Bond franchise and therefore a NTTD without the pair..........................How do we get this on the road???

Beautiful post mate. Agree with every word. And I’m not sure he ever met Craig, but I know he met Brosnan, who tells a funny story about it here and pays a lovely tribute

(sorry if this has already been posted and I missed it)
    edited October 2020 Posts: 294
    Trying to post this tribute from Pierce Brosnan. Can anyone upload for me?

https://pasteboard.co/JyfGksh.jpg

• AWMAWM
    edited October 2020 Posts: 153
    The Bond theme playing at half-time between Liverpool-West Ham. Nice tribute!

The Bond theme was played as the teams came out for the Edinburgh Derby tonight.
  • GUTTED. JUST EFFING GUTTED.

What a life, what a man, only Connery could be the original and best 00, Indy's Dad, Jimmy Malone and Marco Ramius.

Tip of the cap to you, Sir Sean, thanks for everything.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 338

I would prefer a black screen at the very start, then the words “FOR SEAN”, fade to black, then the traditional gunbarrel as the film begins