NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861
    You can hear a bit in the new clip from the Fallon show; to be honest I didn't think there was enough to get excited or annoyed about, but there's a kind of vaguely Wonder Woman-ish repeated horn in there and enough of a big brassy sound to sound like it'll do what it needs to.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,032
    I must admit I was hoping for a big bond theme blast when he jumped off the bridge, but if the scene is meant to be tension filled with Bond, wondering what the hell is going on, escaping by the skin of his teeth and a bit of ingenuity, then that also makes sense, that the music is the way it is.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,548
    mtm wrote: »
    You can hear a bit in the new clip from the Fallon show; to be honest I didn't think there was enough to get excited or annoyed about, but there's a kind of vaguely Wonder Woman-ish repeated horn in there and enough of a big brassy sound to sound like it'll do what it needs to.

Perhaps not. But the notes that play right before Bond jumps off the bridge sound just like the intro to Moby's song "Extreme Ways." Ewwwwww.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TripAces wrote: »

Perhaps not. But the notes that play right before Bond jumps off the bridge sound just like the intro to Moby's song "Extreme Ways." Ewwwwww.

I saw you mention that in the other thread and had a listen back to the clip to see. It's quite a stretch to say that they're just like each other. They sound completely different in pitch, for one thing. It sounds like Zimmer actually used a siren sound effect in his track here, whereas the Moby track has actual strings (albeit sampled!).

Could just be my ears though. Hard to make an actual judgment on the audio from a compressed YouTube clip....
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    TripAces wrote: »

I saw you mention that in the other thread and had a listen back to the clip to see. It's quite a stretch to say that they're just like each other. They sound completely different in pitch, for one thing. It sounds like Zimmer actually used a siren sound effect in his track here, whereas the Moby track has actual strings (albeit sampled!).

Could just be my ears though. Hard to make an actual judgment on the audio from a compressed YouTube clip....
    I’m definitely not getting Extreme Ways ways vibes either.
  • StarkStark France
    edited October 2020 Posts: 177
    Do you know if the orchestral version of No Time to Die by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra will be in the film ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Stark wrote: »
    Do you know if the orchestral version of No Time to Die by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra will be in the film ?

I wouldn't have thought so, seems a separate project.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Despite the April 2021 release of NTTD, it appears that the soundtrack is still on track for Nov. 13th (according to Amazon.com as of 10/9).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Despite the April 2021 release of NTTD, it appears that the soundtrack is still on track for Nov. 13th (according to Amazon.com as of 10/9).

I wouldn't pin too many hopes on that remaining unchanged though.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2020 Posts: 3,157
    Dwayne wrote: »

I'm pretty sure another used mentioned that the date was postponed to April 2021 few days ago.

EDIT: Yes, they did:

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    I apologize for my earlier post not being clearer. I fully expect the soundtrack to be delayed. I was, however, observing that the release date on several online sites still doesn’t reflect this.

On October 8th I received an e-mail from Amazon.com (US) about the “No Time to Die” soundtrack CD, and saw that their listing still indicated a November 13th release date. As pointed out, I fully expect this to be changed on Amazon’s system in due course. [Note: the Amazon.com (UK) website does, indeed, indicate a revised April 21, 2021 release date.] A similar issue happened to the upcoming Taschen James Bond Archives (NTTD edition), where its’ revised listing shows up as “unavailable” (You think that book may have a spoiler or two 😊?).

The James Bond Archives. "No Time To Die" Edition by Paul Duncan (Editor)
    Temporarily Out of Stock Online
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-james-bond-archives-no-time-to-die-edition-paul-duncan/1135408820?ean=9783836582919

Interestingly, Barnes and Noble (US) and Amazon.com (US) still has the “Making of..” book as being available on November 24th.

No Time to Die: The Making of the Film by Mark Salisbury
    (November 24.2020)
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/no-time-to-die-mark-salisbury/1134850318?ean=9781789093599

Again, I think that it is just a matter of time before a correction is entered, but this issue does underscore (IMO) either venders being caught by surprise by the delay announcement, and/or a lack of coordination.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Paul Duncan confirmed that the Taschen James Bond Archives will be out the day after the film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Paul Duncan confirmed that the Taschen James Bond Archives will be out the day after the film.

Which is quite a clever way of not giving an actual date! :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Heh. 'James Bond's opening'.

But seriously: I think that's rather reading too much into a little bit of arrangement. And surely it's the triangle and bongos rather than 'tambourine and drum beat'?

Makes me sad though: I hadn't realised it was missing triangle until now. I think all gunbarrels need triangle. Bongos are an added bonus.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 12,914
    Cowbell.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just one cowbell when he fires the gun. And then silence.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I, for one, hate all the studio logo musical piggybacking on the James Bond theme. MGM and Universal, or Sony, are horning in on the gunbarrel sequence.

Give me a simple, silent United Artists Presents fading to black and then the gunbarrel any day, instead.
    Speaking of the gunbarrel track I much prefer the main guitar theme established in FRWL than NTTD's Dr. No inspired version.
    echo wrote: »
    I, for one, hate all the studio logo musical piggybacking on the James Bond theme. MGM and Universal, or Sony, are horning in on the gunbarrel sequence.

Give me a simple, silent United Artists Presents fading to black and then the gunbarrel any day, instead.
    +1
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I thought it was a great addition, builds up the anticipation. Which it quickly threw away by playing the fanfare over black before the dots appeared, and my inner fan was screaming 'stop getting Bond wrong!' :)
  • mtm wrote: »

I thought it was a great addition, builds up the anticipation. Which it quickly threw away by playing the fanfare over black before the dots appeared, and my inner fan was screaming 'stop getting Bond wrong!' :)

I actually really loved the touch of blaring the fanfare before the black dots. I found it emphasized the music and excitement as that's all I was focused on, since there was nothing on screen.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited October 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Spectre Gunbarrel with Hans Zimmer's No Time To Die Soundtrack

Longer version

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    TheBondFan wrote: »

I actually really loved the touch of blaring the fanfare before the black dots. I found it emphasized the music and excitement as that's all I was focused on, since there was nothing on screen.

Fair enough, that's cool.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Slower version of gunbarrel 😄
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Slower version of gunbarrel 😄

That was fantastic.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,215
    Apologies if this has been posted before, I hadn't seen it yet, but here's the official instrumental of NTTD. I wonder how much of this orchestration has made it's way into the score or if the instrumental itself plays during the film at all. I can see 2:40 onwards playing over a final ending montange sequence like the Nolan batman films to end the Craig era... goosebumps...

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Given that the orchestration is by Zimmer, I have no doubt we'll similar instrumentals throughout the film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Regardless of my thoughts on Billie's title song, I do hope to hear it weaved throughout the film, something that I felt was pretty lacking in SP (unless I'm misremembering. I've tried to wipe most of that score and the film experience as a whole from my mind).
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Regardless of my thoughts on Billie's title song, I do hope to hear it weaved throughout the film, something that I felt was pretty lacking in SP (unless I'm misremembering. I've tried to wipe most of that score and the film experience as a whole from my mind).

It plays after the train fight during bond and maddie getting it on but that’s it.