Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ffolkespromo.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,869
    The only American actor I'd let near Bond, Christopher Abbott.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-10.26.12.jpg?fit=894%2C472
    618a8398.jpg?w=2048
    christopher-abbott-catch-22-1558006357.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Shia as Bond? I guess rather than turn and shoot in the gun barrel, he would turn and shout “Just do it!”. ;)
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    If it had to be a non Brit, it doesn't of course, but just pretending it does I'd pick Ryan Gosling.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Univex wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Shia?!? :D He's got problems, man. Lots.

If they wanted an ill behaved bad boy, they'd really do better with Hardy.

Ironically, I was just going to post some random shot of Shia, but happened to find one where he almost looks Bondian. Either way I thought it was amusing.

I got that ;)

Mind you, people have been suggesting nonsensical actors here with a serious face for months. And they'll keep doing it for years, I suppose.

Exactly. I fell for it for a couple of seconds!
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 554
    [Deleted]
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    cwl007 wrote: »
    If it had to be a non Brit, it doesn't of course, but just pretending it does I'd pick Ryan Gosling.

That's quite a fun idea. If we weren't allowed to have a Brit... I'll have to have a think. Gosling's a good call, he can be very smooth.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »
    cwl007 wrote: »

That's quite a fun idea. If we weren't allowed to have a Brit... I'll have to have a think. Gosling's a good call, he can be very smooth.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    The only American actor I'd let near Bond, Christopher Abbott.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-10.26.12.jpg?fit=894%2C472
    618a8398.jpg?w=2048
    christopher-abbott-catch-22-1558006357.jpg
    This guy :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Ah, if we weren't allowed have a Brit? Well, the answer is obviously Jon Hamm - even if he is nearly 50.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2017%2F06%2Finstyle-july-mos-jon-hamm-3-2000.jpg
    Ah, if we weren't allowed have a Brit? Well, the answer is obviously Jon Hamm - even if he is nearly 50.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2017%2F06%2Finstyle-july-mos-jon-hamm-3-2000.jpg

Absolutely. But he can be Archer instead ;)

s21g6veghiqaq1rgplyv.jpg

Absolutely. But he can be Archer instead ;)

s21g6veghiqaq1rgplyv.jpg

That petulant manchild! He'd be excellent.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    As long as they can do the accent.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

I am in, he does looks good.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 727
    He looks more like Bruce Wayne. Straight out of the funny books.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131
    John Hamm does look very much like a Bond in Mad Men. Plus he’s got charisma. But then he opens his mouth and talks and ‘Bond’ is gone.

Mad Men was an excellent programme, I was surprised Hamm didn’t have a more prolific career following the show. But he’s always a supporting actor, rather than the lead in all the films I’ve seen him in.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    John Hamm does look very much like a Bond in Mad Men. Plus he’s got charisma. But then he opens his mouth and talks and ‘Bond’ is gone.

Mad Men was an excellent programme, I was surprised Hamm didn’t have a more prolific career following the show. But he’s always a supporting actor, rather than the lead in all the films I’ve seen him in.

You're going to get that with almost all of the options in this (admittedly still fun) exercise, unfortunately. It's just a bit of fun.

As a footnote, the only time I've ever been fooled by an American doing an English accent is James Marsters as Spike on Buffy The Vampire Slayer - for years growing up I thought he was actually English.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131

You're going to get that with almost all of the options in this (admittedly still fun) exercise, unfortunately. It's just a bit of fun.

As a footnote, the only time I've ever been fooled by an American doing an English accent is James Marsters as Spike on Buffy The Vampire Slayer - for years growing up I thought he was actually English.

Ah right, I’ve never seen that, so can’t genuinely comment either way.

The only American actor I’ve thought sounded authentic when playing a Brit is John Lithgow. But he always has to go overtly posh to get there (say Cliffhanger).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think as we mentioned, yer Clooney would've been a rather good American Bond, but he's a bit old for it now.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,441
    I watched A Simple Favor with earlier sugest Henry Golding. In my opnion he have also have a bit of Brosnan and Dalton in him.

I can see Christopher Abbott as more Connery and Dalton/Brosnan Bond with mabey Kathryn Bigelow can be considerd again as directer. He have a bit of Richard Gere look or guy from Midnight Express. Mabey it wil closer to that style what also feels a bit like a more agression FRWL/TMND and more like Red Corner (1997 Movie, same year as TMND with Richard Gere), Die Another Day and Spy Game.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,949
    I saw The Gentlemen and I thought Golding was decent although saddled with a cockney accent that I’m not sure he was comfortable with. He wasn’t bad at all, but I’d need to see more from him.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I saw The Gentlemen and I thought Golding was decent although saddled with a cockney accent that I’m not sure he was comfortable with. He wasn’t bad at all, but I’d need to see more from him.
    You should check out A Simple Favor - he's very different to how he played in The Gentlemen. I had initially rolled my eyes when his name was first suggested, but when I watched A Simple Favor I thought he was very charismatic. I'm still not sure about saying Bond's race/ethnicity doesn't matter, but Golding really isn't far off the on-model 007 at all (though I think he's a tad short). If you wanted a new Bond in the Brosnan mould he wouldn't be a bad pick.

I actually think they missed a trick with not going with him as the new Saint, especially as the Saint's creator, Leslie Charteris, was half Chinese. He'd certainly have been better than Adam Rayner was in the 2017 tv pilot (though perhaps it's unfair to suggest the actor was the issue with that horrible production).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You should check out A Simple Favor - he's very different to how he played in The Gentlemen. I had initially rolled my eyes when his name was first suggested, but when I watched A Simple Favor I thought he was very charismatic. I'm still not sure about saying Bond's race/ethnicity doesn't matter, but Golding really isn't far off the on-model 007 at all (though I think he's a tad short). If you wanted a new Bond in the Brosnan mould he wouldn't be a bad pick.

I actually think they missed a trick with not going with him as the new Saint, especially as the Saint's creator, Leslie Charteris, was half Chinese. He'd certainly have been better than Adam Rayner was in the 2017 tv pilot (though perhaps it's unfair to suggest the actor was the issue with that horrible production).

He's definitely a major issue with it though! :)

I'll check out A Simple Favour if I can, thanks. I didn't get the impression he was short in Gentlemen at all, I must say- I thought he was pretty tall from watching that.
    He seems a really good idea for The Saint too, I agree.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Goran Visnjic had the look and the skill but accent was the biggest problem.
    MSL49 wrote: »

His name sounds like a member of Smersh from a Fleming novel too.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

Craig lack's in the look department but atleast he is good actor and british.

Not according to lots of Women.

But I see what you mean against Brosnan and Moore.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming

Not according to lots of Women.

Nor to gay men like myself.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    nor straight men, like myself-- the guy's a rugged stud. Sexy as hell. And oh yeah, as I told @Shardlake , my wife really enjoys the Craig films because she expects him to doff his shirt at least once...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Eyebrows, Craig looks his best when he has eyebrows; they have as tendency to bleach out. Cary as an eye for details like this; Bond has brows in NTTD.

If you can’t see bond in this clip I don’t know what to say