Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I not too bothered about the nationality of the actor so long as the actor is right for the role in all honesty. I realise that is a very controversial view.
    If imaginary candidate 1 was perfect for the role but was, say, Australian and candidate 2 not quite as good but English I'd go for number 1 every day of the week.

Totally with you on that.

• cwl007cwl007 England
    Thank you
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 554
    If Jackman could've done a halfway decent English accent, I would've been happy to have him.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131
    If Jackman could've done a halfway decent English accent, I would've been happy to have him.

Halfway decent? So an odd Lazenby type attempt? Halfway decent is poor....do you mean an authentic English accent? Why settle for halfway decent ever.
    I not too bothered about the nationality of the actor so long as the actor is right for the role in all honesty. I realise that is a very controversial view.
    If imaginary candidate 1 was perfect for the role but was, say, Australian and candidate 2 not quite as good but English I'd go for number 1 every day of the week.
    (Accent aside, which I'll assume is dealt with in the audition) A good actor can transcend their own nationality surely, at no point during the film or promotion interviews would I think "everything is great but it's spoilt because Bond is Australian./Canadian/etc etc
    I have several niggles with Lazenby but his place of birth ain't one of them.

I’m really bothered. For me, if your not British, your not considered.

But that’s just a personal preference.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    (Accent aside, which I'll assume is dealt with in the audition) A good actor can transcend their own nationality surely, at no point during the film or promotion interviews would I think "everything is great but it's spoilt because Bond is Australian./Canadian/etc etc
    I have several niggles with Lazenby but his place of birth ain't one of them.

I’m really bothered. For me, if your not British, your not considered.

But that’s just a personal preference.

You’re not alone on that, my friend ;)
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Yeah I respect that, each his own, absolutely personal opinion. It's really interesting how the subject of a new Bond actor is so subjective and how it impacts different sensibilities.
    As I've said before it shows what a tough job it is to choose and try to please as many people as possible, so that it transfers to good box office receipts.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ruling out non-Brits would mean no Brosnan though, and I think that would be a shame.

Halfway decent? So an odd Lazenby type attempt? Halfway decent is poor....do you mean an authentic English accent? Why settle for halfway decent ever.
    Well, figure of speech.
    mtm wrote: »
    Ruling out non-Brits would mean no Brosnan though, and I think that would be a shame.

His accent was convincing though. Pretty non-discript to be fair.

He left Ireland for the UK when he was very young, so, yes, I’d make an exception for any Irishman that can do a convincing English accent. So I agree.

For example, Colin Farrell’s accents are brilliant. Not as a Bond suggestion particularly, but as an actor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,930
    So a non-Brit who can do a good accent is fine then. Yes, my thoughts too.
    Should be. I've never seen people decrying Lazenby specifically because he's Australian, for example. (Actually, that example might be a bit rubbish, since he doesn't attempt much of an accent...)

No, for me, only Irishman as they are close enough and share a border.

All others banned IMO.

But I accept others think differently.
    Should be. I've never seen people decrying Lazenby specifically because he's Australian, for example. (Actually, that example might be a bit rubbish, since he doesn't attempt much of an accent...)

Lazenby’s accent wasn’t great.

It was something, not entirely English.

Again, my opinion, others think differently....not a problem to me.

No only Irishman as they are close enough and share a border.

All others banned.
    In that case, I nominate myself for Bond number 7. Although, that might be worse than having none at all.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

All others banned.
    In that case, I nominate myself for Bond number 7. Although, that might be worse than having none at all.

You have my full support.

All others banned.

Ha ha!

If you are a good actor, handsome, over 5ft 10in tall and can do an authentic English accent....go fo it!!
    I was the lead in my primary school's production of A Christmas Carol, will that do?
    I was the lead in my primary school's production of A Christmas Carol, will that do?

Ha ha! You might have raw talent....send the video tape to Eon.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

+1 agreed.
    Brosnan is coming back?
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    Aidan Turner, another irish.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

All others banned.

You have my blessings, go for it.
    I've should have specified that I'm in favour of both Irish and Britons playing the part. Not only British folk. Australians and New Zealanders, well, maybe, yeah. Americans? Well, nah, I can't see it happening. English speaking people? With the accent done right? Well, nah, don't fancy that either. And why? Well, just because there are tons and tons of stellar thespians that are Irish or British that would eventually shine on the role, even if I'm not aware of them as of now. So why would one jump over them? Because that actor has got something really special about him? Who does? Jon Hamm? I think he looks the part, but I wouldn't want him putting on an accent and playing English. I really wouldn't.
    Univex wrote: »
    I've should have specified that I'm in favour of both Irish and Britons playing the part. Not only British folk. Australians and New Zealanders, well, maybe, yeah. Americans? Well, nah, I can't see it happening. English speaking people? With the accent done right? Well, nah, don't fancy that either. And why? Well, just because there are tons and tons of stellar thespians that are Irish or British that would eventually shine on the role, even if I'm not aware of them as of now. So why would one jump over them? Because that actor has got something really special about him? Who does? Jon Hamm? I think he looks the part, but I wouldn't want him putting on an accent and playing English. I really wouldn't.
    I can definitely see your point, @Univex.
    Since we're now suddenly open to non U.K. actors as Bond I nominate this guy....

shia-labeouf-69th-venice-film-festival-02.jpg

Shia?!? :D He's got problems, man. Lots.

If they wanted an ill behaved bad boy, they'd really do better with Hardy.

Ironically, I was just going to post some random shot of Shia, but happened to find one where he almost looks Bondian. Either way I thought it was amusing.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Ironically, I was just going to post some random shot of Shia, but happened to find one where he almost looks Bondian. Either way I thought it was amusing.

I got that ;)

Mind you, people have been suggesting nonsensical actors here with a serious face for months. And they'll keep doing it for years, I suppose.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I got that ;)

Mind you, people have been suggesting nonsensical actors here with a serious face for months. And they'll keep doing it for years, I suppose.

I might have posted a picture of Kermit the Frog a few years back as well as one of the late, great music legend-Kenny Rogers.
    I'm sure my Kenny Rogers post was a response to all the full bearded Bond applicants on this site. :)