NTTD & Corona

Comments

• tqbtqb
    MGM and Universal are clearly hoping the international box office will be good enough for 007.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,686
    California estimates COVID-related hospitalizations will rise by 89% in the next month.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/california-coronavirus-update-state-estimates-covid-related-hospitalizations-will-rise-89-in-the-next-month-1234585640/

----

European cinemas boosted ‘Tenet,’ but will a second COVID wave close them again? - Along with uneven domestic box office, Hollywood studios are keeping an eye on rising infection rates overseas.

For all the talk of Warner Bros. releasing “Tenet” before American audiences were ready to go back to theaters, the studio may have caught the best window to release the $200 million-budgeted film internationally. Many major box office markets in Europe and Asia have contained the virus in the third quarter, giving “Tenet” the best opportunity to reach as wide an audience as possible in a pandemic-affected environment. So far, the film has grossed $217 million overseas, which Warner Bros. International Distribution Chief Andrew Cripps said equates to an estimated 30 million tickets sold despite the wildly uneven environments that “Tenet” has opened into around the world.

But whether or not “No Time to Die” moves could largely hinge on Bond’s homeland, the U.K.. Reluctant to close businesses again, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced a 10 p.m. curfew for business and other measures in an effort to drop infection rates as the country faces a second wave. While this will mean that British theaters will lose late-night screenings, it’s not yet a critical blow.

What would be is a drop in moviegoer turnout over the coming months or, if hospitalizations and deaths in the country escalate, a more widespread shutdown like the one that occurred at the onset of the pandemic. Either situation could force “No Time to Die” to move, as Britain has been a critical box office market for Bond with more than $100 million grossed for both “Skyfall” and “Spectre.” For now, a spokesperson for MGM said it is committed to a fall opening, with a U.K. release coming via Universal on November 12 and other countries getting release later that month.

https://www.thewrap.com/european-theaters-tenet-second-covid-wave-close-again/
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2020 Posts: 10,586
    Guys, seriously, there really are more important things to stress over right now. This conversation has gotten far too out of hand and needs to return to some level of civility. Like others have mentioned, there is absolutely zero point in getting this worked up over something you have zero control over. If there are members who feel as if they are not able to contribute in a civil matter then perhaps it’s best to check out for a while. The rhetoric being used on this thread as of late has been nothing short of childish.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Well, we can talk about rising numbers etc but is it even relevant ? I don't feel any economy will survive if we go to another full lockdown like we did in March and April. What's relevant for Bond is if Cinemas will be open and seeing how many people attend screenings I don't see how closing them would improve the situation, I am still yet to read any article about a cinema being a factor in spreading of the virus. Surely, if the closing of the cinemas is even on the list of things to do to control Covid, it will be a very low priority. Unless there is significant amount of people doing quarantine at home I am optimistic about November
  • At this point I would pay $50 to have EON beam NTTD directly into my brain.
  • coco1997 wrote: »
    At this point I would pay $50 to have EON beam NTTD directly into my brain.

Yes but it will probably cost tens of thousands of dollars to have the proper implants inserted. I'm not sure many of us have insurance that will cover this procedure. (Still, I'm only considering this topic from a US-centric position. If you're from one of those European-communist countries with guaranteed medical coverage, I guess this point isn't really an issue. Carry on, then...)
  • After what we were put through during this entire time of chaos, EON should be paying us. Is the movie out yet? Tick, tock tick tock. We wait. James Bond seems like the last thing on peoples minds so we need to remind them that we, the fans, are the ones that "matter" and bring the riches to Daniel, Barbara and the whole company. If we didn't watch their movies, they wouldn't enjoy the extravagant lifestyles that they do. Some simple thanks are in order. Amends.
    After what we were put through during this entire time of chaos, EON should be paying us. Is the movie out yet? Tick, tock tick tock. We wait. James Bond seems like the last thing on peoples minds so we need to remind them that we, the fans, are the ones that "matter" and bring the riches to Daniel, Barbara and the whole company. If we didn't watch their movies, they wouldn't enjoy the extravagant lifestyles that they do. Some simple thanks are in order. Amends.

Wrong.
    The fans are only responsable for less than 1% of the box office.
    It's the "normal people", that never think about Bond until they go to see the new movie every 3/4/5 years. They are the ones that bring the money.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    No fans are the heart and engine of any franchise.... you can run for a while without them but eventually it will hollow out and fade
    There's a comma missing somewhere, methinks.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 5,774
    And I also think that today, the site was the victim of a virus. I couldn't access it all day.
  • I'm still getting an occasional "warning" notice from my provider re: this site. MODS: you may want to check into this...
  • Site's been virus.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm still getting an occasional "warning" notice from my provider re: this site. MODS: you may want to check into this...

It's an admin issue but we're working on it.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    coco1997 wrote: »
    At this point I would pay $50 to have EON beam NTTD directly into my brain.

That's dedication. I'd settle for it on the PS4!
    It's not virus, but certificate priblem I think.
    Guys, just click refresh several times and you'll access the site, while the admin takes care of it. No problem. Carry on.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yes, refreshing once or twice is a quicker fix than having to click through the certificate confirmation stuff every time. We'll hopefully have it fixed soon.
    Speaking of saving cinemas... Cary, BB and MGW are signatories on this
  • tonesmalones09tonesmalones09 Minneapolis
    antovolk wrote: »
    Speaking of saving cinemas... Cary, BB and MGW are signatories on this

Yeah as I stated earlier in this thread somewhere, this is much more likely to "save cinemas" than NTTD or any one or two films. Good to see the effort is being done by filmmakers and I am hopeful that something can be done in the future from a government level to ensure a majority of theaters survive the pandemic.
  • tqbtqb
    It’s official
  • familymottofamilymotto Spain
    edited October 2020 Posts: 24
    Here's to another 5 months...
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Good thing they didn't spend another 50 million in marketing...
    Flash-forward to a picture from Craig attending the premiere....in 2028:
    mXHdBVT.jpg
  • Not angry, just disappointed this time.
    At least the official announcement is less blunt and more reassuring than last time.
  • I'm glad I booked a ticket for The New Mutants today. At least I'll be able to go to the cinema one more time this year (as NTTD and Black Widow have both been delayed again).
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    edited October 2020 Posts: 1,400
    This was originally supposed to be out November of 2019. Now April of 21? They will
    scrap that too- CV is NOT going away, and the theatre experience is OVER. GONE. they just released the Eilish video; got product tie ins coming out every day. What in the world are they DOING with this thing? JUST PUT IT OUT ON STREAMING VIDEO.
    It’s a shame @The_Return isn’t here. Today’s the day he claimed that we would have a vaccine widely available.
  • familymottofamilymotto Spain
    We'll have seen the whole film in trailers by the time it's released!

Why on earth they didn't do this a couple of weeks ago. Will they reshoot all the merch ads or just release all that stuff anyway...
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Sad, but the only reasonable thing in the current situation with those rapidly growing infection numbers everywhere. Somehow ironic that the delay comes one day after the Eilish video.