"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    I wish the epl had a friday game.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap do you think Arsenal will sign Thomas Partey and Houssem Aouar?

@GadgetMan I imagine that they will sign one of them at least? From the rumours I've seen on Twitter and elsewhere in the last few days, Houssem Aouar looks to be mentioned the most.

Goalkeeper Rúnar Alex Rúnarsson looks to be the next transfer Arsenal will make.

Yeah. You're right.

It will be interesting to see if the can get a deal over line. Either player wold massively improve that midfield, and the club knows they need strengthening in that area.

Exactly!!!! You really understand. I don't want to get carried away, coz that midfield still needs work and I guess Arteta knows it....which is a good thing. So truly, either player would really help.

Indeed, there's no reason to get carried away, because Aubameyang has painted more than a few cracks in that team since signing. Arteta should be happy he has a Xhaka in there, who's very different to the player he was just a while ago. But really, they are a bit short of creativity and stability. You got the youngsters that will see game time eventually (Saka most of all), but if you take away that, what have you got? Xhaka, Ceballos (but that's just a loan without a buy out option), Willian (depending on formation), Elneny (who I personally think is a useful, tidy player), and – if he can get in Arteta's good books again, Özil. Other than that, you have Maitland-Niles who you expect won't play there, and Torreira who's on the way out by the looks of it. And what about Guendouzi? There's another question mark.

So, it's not surprising the club is looking at strengthening in that position. And I think bringing in Partey or Aouar will make that midfield look more balanced.

Yeah, during the second half of Wenger's days, he doesn't complete the signings totally. Like I mean when he signed Ozil, If he had signed two strong midfielders and a couple of fit defenders alongside him, it would have helped him Ozil. I think Ozil enjoyed Madrid because Madrid had very fit, strong and yet skilful guys around him. So he easily went about his business. Knowing if he loses the ball, the strong guys would retrieve it. So I really need Arsenal to avoid that and make more signings that would complete the team. Which is in this case is Partey or Aouar.....either of them would be a massive addition indeed.

Yeah, Friday games do happen. But not all the time.

@GadgetMan I imagine that they will sign one of them at least? From the rumours I've seen on Twitter and elsewhere in the last few days, Houssem Aouar looks to be mentioned the most.

Goalkeeper Rúnar Alex Rúnarsson looks to be the next transfer Arsenal will make.

Yeah. You're right.

It will be interesting to see if the can get a deal over line. Either player wold massively improve that midfield, and the club knows they need strengthening in that area.

Exactly!!!! You really understand. I don't want to get carried away, coz that midfield still needs work and I guess Arteta knows it....which is a good thing. So truly, either player would really help.

Indeed, there's no reason to get carried away, because Aubameyang has painted more than a few cracks in that team since signing. Arteta should be happy he has a Xhaka in there, who's very different to the player he was just a while ago. But really, they are a bit short of creativity and stability. You got the youngsters that will see game time eventually (Saka most of all), but if you take away that, what have you got? Xhaka, Ceballos (but that's just a loan without a buy out option), Willian (depending on formation), Elneny (who I personally think is a useful, tidy player), and – if he can get in Arteta's good books again, Özil. Other than that, you have Maitland-Niles who you expect won't play there, and Torreira who's on the way out by the looks of it. And what about Guendouzi? There's another question mark.

So, it's not surprising the club is looking at strengthening in that position. And I think bringing in Partey or Aouar will make that midfield look more balanced.

Yeah, during the second half of Wenger's days, he doesn't complete the signings totally. Like I mean when he signed Ozil, If he had signed two strong midfielders and a couple of fit defenders alongside him, it would have helped him Ozil. I think Ozil enjoyed Madrid because Madrid had very fit, strong and yet skilful guys around him. So he easily went about his business. Knowing if he loses the ball, the strong guys would retrieve it. So I really need Arsenal to avoid that and make more signings that would complete the team. Which is in this case is Partey or Aouar.....either of them would be a massive addition indeed.

Özil gets a lot of criticism. Some of it is definitely justified, but as you mentioned above, the Arsenal sides he's been playing have been far from perfect. What's going on between him and the club now though, is just weird.

I know they happen, they should play them every week where possible don't you think ?
    Chelsea v Liverpool GOTW ?

I know they happen, they should play them every week where possible don't you think ?
    Chelsea v Liverpool GOTW ?

Yeah, sure...I would definitely like Friday games to be more consistent.

Indeed, @007InAction that's the Big Game of the week.

Yeah. You're right.

Özil gets a lot of criticism. Some of it is definitely justified, but as you mentioned above, the Arsenal sides he's been playing have been far from perfect. What's going on between him and the club now though, is just weird.

Very weird indeed. I usually see such happen in other clubs. I can't really remember seeing it at Arsenal.

Yeah. You're right.

Very weird indeed. I usually see such happen in other clubs. I can't really remember seeing it at Arsenal.

Ozil at Arsenal is like Bale at RM. Similar situation. ?

Yeah. You're right.

Yeah, it is. Although....Bale is on his way to Tottenham it seems. So maybe a second chance to revamp his Career.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,354

Yeah. You're right.

Yeah, it is. Although....Bale is on his way to Tottenham it seems. So maybe a second chance to revamp his Career.

Lokomotiv Plovdiv 1-2 Tottenham: Spurs survive Europa League scare........

Spurs need Bale at his best but he appears injury prone ???

Yeah. You're right.

Lokomotiv Plovdiv 1-2 Tottenham: Spurs survive Europa League scare........

Spurs need Bale at his best but he appears injury prone ???

Yeah, he's so injury prone lately.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 17,295

Yeah. You're right.

If anything, it shows the state the club has been in, both on and off the pitch.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Couple of goal fests to start week 2 of the EPL.
    Toffee's beat West Brom 5-2
    Leeds are currently 4-1 up against Fulham with 30 minutes to play!

Yeah. You're right.

If anything, it shows the state the club has been in, both on and off the pitch.

Exactly.
    Benny wrote: »
    Couple of goal fests to start week 2 of the EPL.
    Toffee's beat West Brom 5-2
    Leeds are currently 4-1 up against Fulham with 30 minutes to play!

Yeah. The EPL looks to be in the mood for goals this weekend.
    Arsenal are now winning ugly. Very good for a title challenge.
    Arsenal are now winning ugly. Very good for a title challenge.

0t3497zxiy851.jpg

This was a very difficult game to watch. From the outcome of similar matches last season, you expected West Ham to get something from how this match developed. The most Arsenal thing to do would be to lose the game, and that thought was on my mind until Eddie scored.

However, they managed to win ugly. You want them to win differently, but when that fails it's nice that they can still get a result. If Arsenal should have a shot at top four, it's winning matches like this one that makes the difference between getting inside the top four or not.
    Indeed @Torgeirtrap. It's something the Post-Invincibles Arsenal don't do. And it's a major improvement.
    Indeed @Torgeirtrap. It's something the Post-Invincibles Arsenal don't do. And it's a major improvement.

The big thing now is to keep doing it! You can't escape that feeling of them going on a bad run, as they usually do each season.

The big thing now is to keep doing it! You can't escape that feeling of them going on a bad run, as they usually do each season.

Yeah, you're so right. I have that feeling as well.

Sorting out that midfield would make them less likely to find themselves in that situation though. It was visible against West Ham yesterday that they need strengthening in that position.

Sorting out that midfield would make them less likely to find themselves in that situation though. It was visible against West Ham yesterday that they need strengthening in that position.

Yeah, So visible. West Ham saw it and really used it. Although, I think it's time for Saliba to play alongside Gabriel, that would improve arsenal until more transfers are done.

Yeah, So visible. West Ham saw it and really used it. Although, I think it's time for Saliba to play alongside Gabriel, that would improve arsenal until more transfers are done.

I've been wondering why Saliba hasn't played yet. He's young of course, and they probably want to ease him into action. But at some point they have to give him a game.

I've been wondering why Saliba hasn't played yet. He's young of course, and they probably want to ease him into action. But at some point they have to give him a game.

Exactly.
    Diogo Jota: Liverpool sign forward from Wolves for fee that could rise to £45m
    Does anyone know how good he is ?

He's good, but I expect he'll be a backup.

Expensive backup.

Expensive backup.

I imagine Liverpool can afford it. The signing of Jota probably suggests that someone is on the way out too.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,354

Expensive backup.

I imagine Liverpool can afford it. The signing of Jota probably suggests that someone is on the way out too.

I read that the ox might be sold.

No Pulisic again.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2020 Posts: 23,394
    I predict that Ole won't pick up a win in the opening six games.

---
    Chelsea losing I suspected too many new players at once may be an issue.