No Time to Die production thread (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

Since62 wrote: »
    Tenet just took a beating -- everywhere -- financially,
    "Tenet’ Hits $200 Million Globally"
    https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/tenet-box-office-christopher-nolan-warner-bros-1234768187/
    As for the film having a November 2020 release, the concern would not be limited to the US. Tenet just took a beating -- everywhere -- financially, compared with that which it surely would have made but for pandemic shutdowns. Thing is -- early 2021 won't necessarily be a time when folks will comfortably enter theaters, either. Even were a reliable, safe, proven vaccine released quite soon, it will take time to: reach many people, have many people feel comfortable with it and not think it was "rushed to market", so to speak. Things are quite different from the 1918-20 flu pandemic, but this may be noted -- it took a couple years. No one wants to hear it, but this pandemic episode may be with us worldwide for quite some time yet. As for going after some brilliant Home-Viewing strategy -- everyone gets a VR headset ! experience this one like you're in it ! -- it does not seem we're there yet. Besides, agreements are in place for theatrical distribution. Looks like everyone will take financial hit on this one, too, even if theatrical release were pushed back to next summer ! Maybe the Tenet folks and the Bond folks are counting on big On Demand purchases, but even if the price is comparable to what it costs to go the theater, or a little less, many folks just wait until it's part of their cable or dish programming. The mindset has not yet shifted. As for actually going inside a closed theater ? Presently there is a strong correlation between testing positive and having going to a restaurant indoors. If theaters space people significantly apart and keep theaters at a low capacity then (A) that still won't change the fact that theatergoers would be sitting in an enclosed space for a couple - nearly three - hours and (B) it would drop the box office drastically, as has happened with Tenet. Contrary to Christopher Nolan's stated ideas, movies don't bring people back into theaters, no matter how big and spectacular. A perception of safety does that, and that perception is not yet widespread. Furthermore, in case you've not witnessed it yet, with larger, and Larger, and LARGER tvs and with a fondness for game sets hooked up to them, the youngsters today (as I adjust my choppers and pull my pants up to my armpits) don't go to the theater as much. They watch at home. This paradigm shift may be accelerated by the present pandemic, but it may already have been underway. This transition -- while not even total, but of an appreciable percentage -- like many others, may be painful for many people and businesses. Perhaps at this time, big box office just won't be a realistic expectation unless home video is counted in.

As someone who does have a VR headset, I will tell you that having seen the new trailer up on a 40 foot screen was just like seeing it in a theater. If they go streaming you can bet I'll be watching it in a virtual reality theater. Considering that the Oculus Quest v2 is about to come out, this may just be the right time for more people to jump into VR.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Wattenscheid
    delfloria wrote: »
    As for the film having a November 2020 release, the concern would not be limited to the US. Tenet just took a beating -- everywhere -- financially, compared with that which it surely would have made but for pandemic shutdowns. Thing is -- early 2021 won't necessarily be a time when folks will comfortably enter theaters, either. Even were a reliable, safe, proven vaccine released quite soon, it will take time to: reach many people, have many people feel comfortable with it and not think it was "rushed to market", so to speak. Things are quite different from the 1918-20 flu pandemic, but this may be noted -- it took a couple years. No one wants to hear it, but this pandemic episode may be with us worldwide for quite some time yet. As for going after some brilliant Home-Viewing strategy -- everyone gets a VR headset ! experience this one like you're in it ! -- it does not seem we're there yet. Besides, agreements are in place for theatrical distribution. Looks like everyone will take financial hit on this one, too, even if theatrical release were pushed back to next summer ! Maybe the Tenet folks and the Bond folks are counting on big On Demand purchases, but even if the price is comparable to what it costs to go the theater, or a little less, many folks just wait until it's part of their cable or dish programming. The mindset has not yet shifted. As for actually going inside a closed theater ? Presently there is a strong correlation between testing positive and having going to a restaurant indoors. If theaters space people significantly apart and keep theaters at a low capacity then (A) that still won't change the fact that theatergoers would be sitting in an enclosed space for a couple - nearly three - hours and (B) it would drop the box office drastically, as has happened with Tenet. Contrary to Christopher Nolan's stated ideas, movies don't bring people back into theaters, no matter how big and spectacular. A perception of safety does that, and that perception is not yet widespread. Furthermore, in case you've not witnessed it yet, with larger, and Larger, and LARGER tvs and with a fondness for game sets hooked up to them, the youngsters today (as I adjust my choppers and pull my pants up to my armpits) don't go to the theater as much. They watch at home. This paradigm shift may be accelerated by the present pandemic, but it may already have been underway. This transition -- while not even total, but of an appreciable percentage -- like many others, may be painful for many people and businesses. Perhaps at this time, big box office just won't be a realistic expectation unless home video is counted in.

As someone who does have a VR headset, I will tell you that having seen the new trailer up on a 40 foot screen was just like seeing it in a theater. If they go streaming you can bet I'll be watching it in a virtual reality theater. Considering that the Oculus Quest v2 is about to come out, this may just be the right time for more people to jump into VR.

I actually had no idea one could do that with a VR headset. Interesting. Might indeed be worth a look if the status quo remains for a long time.

As for Eons position. I am beginning to believe, that they have convinced themselves that they can get the movie to break even over its entire lifespan and prefer to get some money in in November and pacify all their brand partners who most likely already took a hit from not having the movie launch when they expected it to, to maximise their product tie-ins.
    My expectation is primary theatrical release where possible with the hope for great critical reception and some good word of mouth and then a quick release in Home Video with a big marketing push à la "now you can see the movie everyone has been talking about". And then I personally hope for a secondary theatrical release at a time when I would feel more comfortable going..

The only thing I see torpedoeing that is a really massive second wave in the UK with widespread cinema closures (and I feel like it is about evens that there will be a second wave, but just as likely the government will just ignore it and keep everything open..)

But this is just me spitballing from the public presentation, they are putting out.
    Do you think we gonna have a clip for the song of Billie Eillish someday?
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    Do you think we gonna have a clip for the song of Billie Eillish someday?

You mean the PTS? We already have her song.
    Think he means a music video - like we got for Writing's on the Wall....
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    I really wonder about the title sequence for this movie as well. Can't wait to see it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I really wonder about the title sequence for this movie as well. Can't wait to see it.

Yes, although it would be nice to see Kleinman get another punchy theme to put visuals to- he hasn't really had one since CR.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Nigeria
    Sometimes I think Kleinman's brilliance increases when the song is extra good. A bit like a music video director conjuring up striking visuals and shots for a song that he enjoyed listening to. YKMN is that good, and Kleinman obviously loved the song and made that title sequence, right from the Gunbarrel to have the look of a brilliant ad, music video and short film.
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Sometimes I think Kleinman's brilliance increases when the song is extra good.

Opposite was the case with DAD...
    antovolk wrote: »
    Think he means a music video - like we got for Writing's on the Wall....

Exactly, the MV. Like we had on each Bond since FEYO.

Wonder what style of video it will be (something like Sam Smith/A-ha ? Only images from the movie like Adele ? A short film that have nothing to do with the movie like Garbadge ? A title sequence-like video like Sherryl Crow? Other things?).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 7,125
    One thing I thought was quite interesting that I read recently was that the makers of the nightmare sequence in Spider Man Far From Home cited the Spectre title sequence as a direct influence (pretty sure they meant Skyfall). Nice to see he's been influential.
    jb-mp-nttd_800-1200_2.jpg
    Proper still of Moneypenny from Omega's website

Hmmmm, I guess that one is quite subjective.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    As a big @007 fan of course I am member of the @jamesbondclubdeutschland and once a year the amazing gunbarrel magazine is released exclusively only for members. Of course this time the main topic is No time to die and the most interesting article I want to share with you. @thomasgleitsmann James Bond Fan and member of the @jamesbondclubdeutschland was lucky enough to be on vacation in Matera one year ago in September 2019 while No time to die was filmed in matera and gravinainpuglia. So this guy was living the dream of i think almost every @007 fan to be very close to the production and to get a behind the scenes look of that amazing location, the outfits, action and the actors. The best pictures I want to share with you in these pictures

Lot's of photos, even if we have seen some of them before

I have requested for better stills, straight and flat so to speak.

But If any of you old Bondveterans know Thomas Gleitsmann, ask him for the originals, if he's willing to share them with the forum.

• DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom

True. Let me state my case: I thought DAD was the occasion Kleinman reallly did something spectacular and, for me, stepped outside of Binder’s shadow by doing something original, distinctive, and memorable. The song I’m not a fan of. To be faIr, it works in the titles rather well.

Sorry, back on topic, I can’t wait to see what Kleinman comes up with for NTTD. His titles have been a highlight of the Craig era and the song is one I increasingly enjoy the more I hear it.

True. Let me state my case: I thought DAD was the occasion Kleinman reallly did something spectacular and, for me, stepped outside of Binder’s shadow by doing something original, distinctive, and memorable. The song I’m not a fan of. To be faIr, it works in the titles rather well.

Sorry, back on topic, I can’t wait to see what Kleinman comes up with for NTTD. His titles have been a highlight of the Craig era and the song is one I increasingly enjoy the more I hear it.

Yeah. That's fair.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @Contraband Lovely magazine and pics, cheers.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    QBranch wrote: »
    @Contraband Lovely magazine and pics, cheers.

@QBranch Thanks man but I'm just a messenger here. Trying to get the german Bondclub to share the stills with us. And maybe even the text translated.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Contraband wrote: »
    @QBranch Thanks man but I'm just a messenger here.
    The middleman.

98c1c9aa-613e-4a69-a280-8b57407be664_screenshot.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,534
    Black Widow likely to be delayed.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/black-widow-release-date-delay-soul-disney-plus-1234769426/

This makes No Time To Die the next big budget film to arrive in cinemas.
    Or to be delayed :(
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?
    And the trend of absolutely shite posters continues...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Yeah, that one is terrible.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 741
    No Time to Design a Poster, huh?
    Bland poster aside, they are REALLY doubling down on that November release aren't they? I'm surprised honestly with the Black Widow news from yesterday
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    ...they are REALLY doubling down on that November release aren't they?
    At this point they're probably just like "Just release it."
    They're all really poor. This one is no better.