Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I guess 186,000 deaths is nothing. Just a drop in the ocean.

If you say so.

You are saying so, not me.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon

If you say so.

False, I am just stating a fact given the numbers. Do you like math?

The survival rate is low compared to the number of cases. That is all.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,690

If you say so.

I'll give you another chance to answer.

The USA average above 1,000 deaths for 10 of the last 14 days. Over 13,000 deaths in the past 2 weeks. Those 2 weeks you said 'the USA are doing good'. That gives USA the highest death rate in the world. currently. So you can downplay your national disaster by comparing the survival rate to the case number all you want. But I don't have time for such nonsense so I'll be honest that I won't waste my time to read your answer anyway. So if you want to waste your time posting an answer that won't be read, be my guest.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A Norwegian "fact checking" site recently had a dig at conspiracy theories (in this case related to this epidemic), and their conclusion about these theories was that "someone is definitely behind them and pulling the strings" .

Safe to say they don t see the irony in what they are saying.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 5,808
    Well, today, I went to Paris, and of course wore my mask everywhere I went (except, of course, for eating). Trouble was, I had to wear it longer than I anticipated. I left Paris by train at 15.35, expecting to be home at 17.00. But between Sèvres and Chaville, my train stopped in its track : there had been what they pudically call "un accident de personne" (translation : somebody was killed by a train) at the Chaville station, and we had to stay where we were. We had to stay where we were for three hours, and so, I didn't come home until 19.45, at the very least. Thankfully, I had some reading to catch up to, but as the parisian trains don't have any toilets, I had to hold back until I arrived at the station before getting some release. Tomorrow, I'll be going to the theater (The New Mutants). Wish me luck.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 1,314
    We get it you all hate Trump. I don't particularly like the guy either. But America is doing pretty good given that media two weeks ago was just stating that we had over 5million confirmed cases. Death rate is relativity low compared to the confirmed cases. And can we even trust the confirmed cases? Just this week, our football teams were getting alot of false positives out of NJ testing center.

America is the richest and most powerful nation on earth. It is not the most populous, even the most densely populated but has the most cases. But It has a government putting politics before science - anyone remember the injecting bleach thing? The complaining that Fauci is more popular. And a sizeable number who think the right to kill old and vulnerable people is more important than the right to look after your fellow man.

The death rate per million is the same as Brazil and there aren’t really many countries with worse numbers - Peru, Spain....

Don’t get me wrong. Other countries are the same. The UK has been a show. I just mind admitting it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am more concerned about all those who believe that there will in fact be a vaccine before the end of this year... That will not be the case, you see. Even if something shows promise in a lab and we skip further clinical tests, distributing it will prove a logistical nightmare. This false claim is used to win votes and nothing else. But people might actually start acting carelessly when they believe that salvation is just another month or three away.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Mumps is the fastest vaccine discovered. That took four years. There is no way we are getting a Covid vaccine within a year.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    echo wrote: »
    Mumps is the fastest vaccine discovered. That took four years. There is no way we are getting a Covid vaccine within a year.

The best thing at the moment is to have is a treatment for covid, like antibiotics for the flu.

Who knows when a vaccine is found ?

Now is not a time for politics. All people should work together no matter what their political preferences are.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Now is not a time for politics. All people should work together no matter what their political preferences are.
    Preferences? Fascism must be put down. It's not a 'preference', but a path to the end of us all....
    Antibiotics don't help the flu. It's a virus.

This is not politics. This is science.
    Antibiotics don't help the flu. It's a virus.

This is not politics. This is science.

The doctors give me and others antibiotics for the flu for many years and it helps me get rid of the flu, and when i haven't taken them it takes much much longer.

Obviously it seems impossible for people to work together to help combat this pandemic.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,979
    Antibiotics kill bacteria, not viruses. An antibiotic for the flu is a placebo, and probably worse in that overuse of antibiotics causes resistant bacteria.

https://wa.kaiserpermanente.org/healthAndWellness/index.jhtml?item=/common/healthAndWellness/medications/managingMedications/antibiotics.html
    Antibiotics kill bacteria, not viruses. An antibiotic for the flu is a placebo, and probably worse in that overuse of antibiotics causes resistant bacteria.

https://wa.kaiserpermanente.org/healthAndWellness/index.jhtml?item=/common/healthAndWellness/medications/managingMedications/antibiotics.html

I've read that stuff from google searches as well.

All i can say again is that from personal use and other people who have used antibiotics given by doctors for many years is that it works to combat the flu in 4-5 days as compared to when i haven't gone to the doctor it takes 3-4 weeks to fully recover.

I'm saddened that this is your only education source. When I was a kid we had real science classes....
    I know that antibiotics are prescribed sometimes when people have the flu, but it really doesn't help to combat the actual virus.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,353
    chrisisall wrote: »

I'm saddened that this is your only education source. When I was a kid we had real science classes....

AHHH,I love the smell of bunsen burners in the morning........ :)>-

Great days indeed.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I know that antibiotics are prescribed sometimes when people have the flu, but it really doesn't help to combat the actual virus.

Where did you get your information from that it really doesn't help to combat the actual virus. ?

Where did you get your information from that it really doesn't help to combat the actual virus. ?

My education, my dear @007InAction. I'm a biochemical engineer. ;-)

Viruses and bacteria are fundamentally different creatures, with less in common than mosquitos and humans so to speak. Antibiotics fight bacteria, but not viruses. The flu is caused by the influenza virus. Hence: antibiotics don't relieve the unpleasant symptoms or speed up the healing process. They cannot be taken preventively, nor do they give you more immunity.

If bacteria have attacked your throat, for example, then antibiotics might help.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,353

My education, my dear @007InAction. I'm a biochemical engineer. ;-)

Viruses and bacteria are fundamentally different creatures, with less in common than mosquitos and humans so to speak. Antibiotics fight bacteria, but not viruses. The flu is caused by the influenza virus. Hence: antibiotics don't relieve the unpleasant symptoms or speed up the healing process. They cannot be taken preventively, nor do they give you more immunity.

If bacteria have attacked your throat, for example, then antibiotics might help.

Have you ever tried them for the flu ?

I and others i know have, as prescribed by GP's, and that's good enough for me, that's why in all respect i don't value your opinion on the subject.

I think the only way for anybody to really find out if they work is to try them yourself imo.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 23,544
    Have you ever tried them for the flu?

They were prescribed to me when it was still in vogue to do so, in the 1990s, say. I recovered then... but I also recovered from the flu without them in later times, and I can't say that I have experienced much of a difference. So yes, I have "tried" them, I guess, though not deliberately, but that was a long time ago. A lot of knowledge was gathered on antibiotics since and the practice was abandoned in my region. I've also had the flu since, and as I said, nothing indicates that the antibiotics were helpful way back when, other than, perhaps, for the placebo effect.
    I and others i know have, as prescribed by GP's, and that's good enough for me, that's why in all respect i don't value your opinion on the subject.

Haha, ok. Wow. :D I don't mind. But let me correct your one mistake here. This isn't an 'opinion' of mine, friend. I don't deal in opinions when it comes to science. I deal in facts. But that's okay. Flat-Earthers don't value my "opinion" in many matters (i.e. facts) either, but they are still hilariously wrong. :p
    I think the only way for anybody to really find out if they work is to try them yourself imo.

All I can do is repeat the scientific fact, demonstrated again and again, that antibiotics do not fight viruses. It's simple biochemistry, really. A virus escapes the clutches of the antibiotic molecules, so to say. A virus won't even experience the presence of an antibiotic.

I understand that you swear by antibiotics when you've got the flu because you have convinced yourself of a causal link between antibiotics and getting better from the flu. Tons of people similarly swear by certain products that have no proven effect on something, but their mind is so set on healing when they have taken the stuff, it produces a positive response in the mind that certainly helps with the healing process.

What concerns me is that your GP's still prescribe antibiotics for the flu. They are operating from a very outdated medical handbook and increase the risk of making antibiotics powerless in the near future.

That you and others swear by them, demonstrates nothing. There was a time when many folks believed that smoking cured several diseases too... And those people, no matter how great their numbers, were of course wrong. Shared experiences still mean nothing. In the end, science always prevails, as it will in this case.

Look, @007InAction, I'm not picking a fight with you or anything, so don't take this personally. I'm not saying this to make you look bad or to infuriate you. When I say that antibiotics don't work against the flu, I say so coldly and dispassionately, not condescendingly or mockingly. I've got no dog in this fight. It just happens to be a fact and your GP's haven't gotten that memo yet or refuse to accept the new paradigm. There's the fact, and then there's people's willingness to accept it. That some don't, means nothing to the influenza virus. It won't mind you taking antibiotics, nor that you "believe" they will work, supposedly from experience. All I can do is warn you that if you continue to take antibiotics when suffering from the flu, you may, in fact, expose yourself to bigger threats. It wouldn't be the first time that someone loses a toe or even an entire limb because overuse of antibiotics has produced resistant flesh-eating mutations.

Lastly, I am not anti-antibiotics. :) When properly used, they can be very effective. They've been very helpful to me when removing painful bacteria from my throat. But I will only use them in a proven, target-specific way, and the flu is a completely different chapter in the medical handbook. Now, I don't mind that you don't value my professional qualifications, although that's quite a bold statement, but let me at least give you a friendly word of advice: be very careful with antibiotics. They can do a lot of good, and also a lot of bad. So the increasing awareness of antibiotics' powerlessness against viruses might be a topic of interest to you.
    All I can do is repeat the scientific fact, demonstrated again and again, that antibiotics do not fight viruses. It's simple biochemistry, really.
    Drinking bleach will kill any virus you get. In fact, once you drink a sufficient amount, no virus will ever bother you again. ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    All I can do is repeat the scientific fact, demonstrated again and again, that antibiotics do not fight viruses. It's simple biochemistry, really.
    Drinking bleach will kill any virus you get. In fact, once you drink a sufficient amount, no virus will ever bother you again. ;)
    Injecting bleach intravenously will do even a better job. At least more quickly.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 8,688
    (link deleted here to avoid repetition of that crap)
    Leave it to Thunderfinger to link to crazy promoters of weird conspiracy fantasies ("theories" sounds far too scientific), even if their name is Kennedy, and even from the only propaganda medium that is more pro-Putin than Fox News: RT, formerly Russia Today. Join now and get a free tin-foil hat!
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    (quote deleted here to avoid repetition of that crap)

[/quote]

I know that in your fundamentalist head the link is more important than the message, but besides cellphone films, the RT link was all I could find. Will post an interview from DW later, maybe that works better.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 8,688
    I know that in your fundamentalist head the link is more important than the message, but besides cellphone films, the RT link was all I could find. Will post an interview from DW later, maybe that works better.

The source does play a role in that it shows how such nonsense is in someone's political interest, but even if you find a DW report about this, idiocy remains idiocy.

The source does play a role in that it shows how such nonsense is in someone's political interest, but even if you find a DW report about this, idiocy remains idiocy.[/quote]

You are referring to your own reactions here?

The source does play a role in that it shows how such nonsense is in someone's political interest, but even if you find a DW report about this, idiocy remains idiocy.

You are referring to your own reactions here?[/quote]
    Oh, come on, this is even below your usual standards. Fact is, this conspiracy nonsense is complete bullshit and not worth even discussing. Bill Gates is not injecting people with microchips, vapor trails are not "chemtrails", and the WTC was not blown up by anything but the planes the Al-Qaida guys crashed into them. Get lost with anything else. We have more important things to care about than psychopaths' nightmares. And just to make sure, I'm not saying you're one of them. Just one of those who seem to enjoy repeating them, contrary to all reason.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 45,489
    You re the right person to talk about standards.

I didn t find the DW clip, but here is another.