Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @JamesCraig It was fantastic. :-) I won’t say more to avoid spoiling anything.

So the negative reviews about the film wasn't true, damn i wanted to watch this in theatres. Enjoy :)

I wouldn't say there's any "truth" to one's opinion regarding whether a film is positive or negative. That's for you to decide. I've seen glowing reviews across the board for films I hated and vice versa; only one way to find out! I'm personally still looking forward to seeing this when I can.

No most of the response from critics have been lukewarm, i am definitely going to watch and decide for myself if i liked it or not, but theatre's are completely closed here, so i will have to wait a little while to watch this :(
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2020 Posts: 12,459
    Plenty of positive reviews out there. And @DaltonCraig007 I'm happy to hear you loved it. B-)
    Here's something nice re Nolan:

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Tom went to the BFI IMAX and liked it :)

And no, you can't drive up to it like that unless you're a movie star! :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Tenet heading towards a $25 million opening weekend in overseas markets.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/tenet-international-box-office-preview-1203022539/
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,342

Not a bad result.

A limited US release will then follow on September 2, expanding into more cinemas across the States as they reopen after the pandemic.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Just booked my tickets for tomorrow :)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Denbigh wrote: »

Like me, then. B-) :-c <:-P
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Ah nice one, have a good one! :)
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Ah nice one, have a good one! :)

You too. ;)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Dunkirk overseas made $55.4 million. Given the current situation $25 million would be... uhm... fine (?).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't know if this contains spoilers ... but I thought I'd share this here.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I’m about to watch it. Last time in a movie theater was back in December for Star Wars: TRoS. I’m pretty excited.
    matt_u wrote: »
    I’m about to watch it. Last time in a movie theater was back in December for Star Wars: TRoS. I’m pretty excited.

:)>-
    Have fun @matt_u !
    Just back from the movie and sadly have to say that I just didn’t connect with it. Dull, soulless and not one bit engaging. I also thought that Branagh was dreadful as the antagonist. Of all the actors Nolan could have cast I really don’t know why he went with Branagh and allowed him to turn in such a hammy performance.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 348
    I've not long got back from seeing it (my first cinema trip since Knives Out in December for my birthday).
    I thought that it was very very good overall. It was a very cleverly thought plot which I understood most of and the action sequences were thrilling and very well put together. My mum and I really enjoyed it - she usually falls asleep during long films in the cinema but she was wide awake for the entire film (the music helped with that 😄) and she absolutely loved it - I answered some questions that she had every now and then which also helped.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Thanks for sharing that experience, @RogerJonMoorePertwee. A movie adventure you'll always remember, both of you!

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,043
    zebrafish wrote: »

Tread carefully Bradshaw gave SPECTRE 5 stars, I've been sceptical of his reviews ever since.

Not to say I think it will be rubbish, I'm big Nolan fan but will be waiting for the 4K UHD release I'm afraid, I guess I'm just not as brave as Tom Cruise.
  • Thanks for sharing that experience, @RogerJonMoorePertwee. A movie adventure you'll always remember, both of you!

You're welcome RichardTheBruce. Thanks, that's very true!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I read tried to read some spoilers on wikipedia, since we'll probably never get it in the US. I laughed when reading that Washington's character's name is just "The Protagonist" and I couldn't continue. Nolan couldn't have just named him "John" or something?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,834
    Can we put any details in spoiler tags for now? I know no-ones said anything big yet but I'm worried we might end up there. I am seeing the film tomorrow but I'm also thinking of those who can't see it or are not going due to their own precautions.
    Who went to see the film today? Was it a packed house?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,036
    Just back from watching it in IMAX.

I cant explain the plot. I think I just about got the gist of it but will require multiple viewings.

Stunning cinematography - why Hoytema couldnt do this with Spectre I will never know.
    Good score, if very loud.

The negatives. Usual Nolan stuff really - I thought the sound mix was poor, leas it was on my screen, I really struggled to understand what characters were saying at key plot points.

Also I found the characters really lacking. Like I didnt care for any of them. Washington’s character as no personality, Branagh is just doing a panto villain but with a Russian accent, and Debicki is lumbered with a poor role I felt.

Robert Pattinson steals the show.

Initial thoughts, will have to watch it again. It is a multiple viewing film.

Did get to see the old NTTD trailer again though which was nice.
    Kananga wrote: »
    Who went to see the film today? Was it a packed house?

With the socially distanced seating, probably two thirds in my 8.30pm imax viewing.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Mallory wrote: »
    Branagh is just doing a panto villain but with a Russian accent, and Debicki is lumbered with a poor role I felt.

Robert Pattinson steals the show.

Initial thoughts, will have to watch it again. It is a multiple viewing film.
    Not surprised by Branagh. I've struggled to resonate with him as an actor and a director. Shame about Debicki, but to be expected in a Nolan film unfortunately, but happy to hear about Pattinson. He stole the trailers so glad that remains true within the film.

I can't wait to see it tomorrow :)
    @Denbigh

Branagh is very inconsistent for me. I like him as an actor when he is more of a good guy, like in Murder on the Orient Express, or Dunkirk. Doesnt do villains very well. I think he was a Russian villain in Jack Ryan, this is a similar deal.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I like Brannagh (he is great in Wallander) but why in God's name he keeps picking roles where he has to do funny accents, I'll never know. I can never take him seriously.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 2,436
    Seen it tonight. Thought it was enjoyable, not terrible and not great. Nolan is definitely capable of making a better film than this. I highly enjoyed Dunkirk and thought it was his best film, this is a come down from that. I didn't find it as incomprehenisble as some have made out, if you let the plot flow through the character motivation it's easily followable. The film moves at quite a pace not giving you much time to ponder some of the ridiculous aspects of inversion. Pretty sure it didn't go into any detail how you can flip back and 'change gear' as Patterson's character says. I found myself not really remembering Washington and Patterson's character names, which is perhaps testament to the criticism that has been levelled of it being cold. Nolan doesn't give you time to invest in the characters, the plot just keeps moving at a pace.

To sum up I'd say: Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure + Timecrimes + Thunderball + Licence to Kill + The Night Manager + Inception = Tenet.
    Also, an amusing connection (of sorts) to Skyfall
    Mendes is often accused of nicking ideas from Nolans TDK, well now Nolan has lifted a plot point straight from Skyfall. They use recovered bullets to track the next link in the chain early on, much like in SF, they use a bullet to track down Patrice. [\Spoiler]