NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• That's interesting news. What is a bit strange though is cinemas in the UK are open and yet this article is stating that the film will be released in cinemas in countries that don't currently have Disney+. Does that mean that even though UK cinemas are opening up, Disney thinks it's more worth their while to release it on Disney+ here instead?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Looks that way.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 71
    Black Widow streaming in November as well... your move EON
    Okay, looks like not confirmed yet
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    I’m calling for a James Bond streaming platform — access to all Bond films + extras for a set price or low monthly rate. Offer NTTD within platform VOD for $20-30.

I wonder how much extra they could scrape up on just the platform fees..?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I’m calling for a James Bond streaming platform — access to all Bond films + extras for a set price or low monthly rate. Offer NTTD within platform VOD for $20-30.

That'd be such an incredibly niche platform, though, considering most fans already own the films in some form or fashion.

If they want to offer up NTTD digitally, though, I'd more than happily drop $20-30 to watch it. Getting to enjoy a brand new film in HD, day of release, from the comfort of my house while stoned? Tell me where to send the money.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,690
    The thriller The Woman in the Window, starring Amy Adams, which was due for a wide theatrical release in May 2020, has been acquired by Netflix.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That'd be such an incredibly niche platform, though, considering most fans already own the films in some form or fashion.

If they want to offer up NTTD digitally, though, I'd more than happily drop $20-30 to watch it. Getting to enjoy a brand new film in HD, day of release, from the comfort of my house while stoned? Tell me where to send the money.

Apple buys MGM, makes NTTD exclusive for Apple TV+ subscribers willing to pay an extra $30.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 440
    It's worth remembering that Mulan was always going to make most of its money from a theatrical release in China and it's still getting one. It's box office in the US and Europe was already uncertain, even pre-COVID.

Nobody knows if a VOD-only release will be able to cover the budget of $150 million+ live action movie yet, so this is a relatively safe bet.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Nobody knows if a VOD-only release will be able to cover the budget of $150 million+ live action movie yet, so this is a relatively safe bet.

The same can be said for Tenet. We have no way of knowing if it can make any kind of profit from a theatrical release until it actually opens in cinemas.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    It's worth remembering that Mulan was always going to make most of its money from a theatrical release in China and it's still getting one. It's box office in the US and Europe was already uncertain, even pre-COVID.

It's Disney. They can afford it.

The same can be said for Tenet. We have no way of knowing if it can make any kind of profit from a theatrical release until it actually opens in cinemas.

Tenet will of course have a VOD release in addition to the theatrical release some months afterwards.
    I don't think, that Mulan will make the $1 Billionen it needs with the new strategy.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Said MKM Partners’ Eric Handler today about the shocking news: “It’s definitely the sign of the times. Disney has been the biggest supporter of the theatrical window over the last several years, and they know how to maximize all windows. We’ll have to see what happens. The more successful it is, the more they have to think about the streaming service as their own PVOD platform. It’s a big test, and some ways it’s a big risk because this has never been done before. It’s a bit of a shock especially since Tenet was dated. They don’t have to wait for the results of Tenet going forward to go ahead with their plan.”

Says one film finance sage who funds feature productions: “Disney has no revenue coming in now, they’re losing money on theme parks, they can’t get TV into production. If 50% of subscribers rent it — well, that’s a lofty projection. It can make between $300M-$400M, but I don’t think it switches anything in the long term in shaking up moviegoing. I don’t think they can do this on a regular basis. There’s still a lot of money to be made in the theatrical windows model. These market conditions are unusual. People would rather have a theatrical experience with their family rather than being cooped up.”

This is an unprecedented event and a punch in the face to exhibitors, no doubt about that. Anyway this could be sustainable for a big company like Disney with their own private steaming service - which is starving for new contents - but not for Bond. Plus, I don’t think Disney has so much faith in Mulan speaking about the Western audiences - the film has been described “okay” but not “great”... so it will come theatrically out where it would’ve made most of the money and in the other territories they won’t share the profits with nobody else.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Tenet will of course have a VOD release in addition to the theatrical release some months afterwards.

And we do not know if that will allow Tenet to earn any kind of profit.
    Covid is doing to cinema what Napster did to music. It’s pretty much historic what Disney - the biggest movie company ever - is doing regarding the way we will experience films in the coming years.

Like Caesar said: Alea iacta est.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 4,400
    live-action-mulan-disney.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

I must say, I'm fairly negative on this overall. Firstly, you have a female-directed tentpole film with a mostly Asian cast getting shunned on to a streaming service. What was a big win for Disney creatively and economically, now looks like a huge bust.

Though I have to admit I always had zero interest in this film, but now it's on home platforms I could see myself watching it. However, I'm not a Disney+ subscriber (and I have no intention of becoming one), so the notion of paying for the app AND then having to pay a huge surcharge to rent the film is astonishing. I won't participate. I can imagine a lot of people won't.

Look at this poll from Variety:

Perhaps this new release is meant to appeal to middle-class families looking for something to distract the kids with? I can't see average moviegoers partaking in this scheme. I don't think the new Mulan is for kids; the trailers always seemed more mature and action-intensive. So God knows why they would put this on their app which I hear is basically just Mickey Mouse and Frozen content. Though it was always going to end up on Disney+ eventually.

But once again, an interesting move...what does it mean for NTTD? No clue. I never thought Disney would do this and they have, so anything goes. With this move, Disney have become the first studio to sacrifice a $200+ blockbuster. So anything goes. What do we reckon @antovolk and @DaltonCraig007

MI6 seems adamant that it won't go PVOD.....

Families will find purchasing the film on Disney+ cheaper than goin to the movies and families are Mulan's main target. Plus, once you bought Mulan you can rewatch it for the next 6 months.

Obviously what is sustainable for Disney is far beyond what would be sustainable for MGM.

This means nothing.
    But once again, an interesting move...what does it mean for NTTD? No clue. I never thought Disney would do this and they have, so anything goes. With this move, Disney have become the first studio to sacrifice a $200+ blockbuster. So anything goes. What do we reckon @antovolk and @DaltonCraig007

At this point all we can do is wait and see how much Mulan earns from VOD and how much Tenet earns from its staggered release. We can keep debating about VOD vs wide theatrical vs staggered release until we are blue in the face, but the reality remains we still have no idea how much money a big budget film can make under the current global pandemic.

We have seen relatively small budget film release in their domestic territories (Train to Busan 2 in South Korea, etc), but no $150 million + has been released in theaters since Onward 5 months ago.

We can't predict just how many people will show up to a major release (even if they will earn much more than indie films), and with the global pandemic still ongoing, it adds another layer of unpredictability (Covid-19 cases spiking can cause any box office market to close down at a moment's notice).
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 440

I must say, I'm fairly negative on this overall. Firstly, you have a female-directed tentpole film with a mostly Asian cast getting shunned on to a streaming service. What was a big win for Disney creatively and economically, now looks like a huge bust.

Though I have to admit I always had zero interest in this film, but now it's on home platforms I could see myself watching it. However, I'm not a Disney+ subscriber (and I have no intention of becoming one), so the notion of paying for the app AND then having to pay a huge surcharge to rent the film is astonishing. I won't participate. I can imagine a lot of people won't.

Perhaps this new release is meant to appeal to middle-class families looking for something to distract the kids with? I can't see average moviegoers partaking in this scheme. I don't think the new Mulan is for kids; the trailers always seemed more mature and action-intensive. So God knows why they would put this on their app which I hear is basically just Mickey Mouse and Frozen content. Though it was always going to end up on Disney+ eventually.

MGM's new head, Michael DeLuca, has been very clear on his desire to rebuild MGM as a major studio that can make and release its own films. Part of that has involved greenlighting a large slate of high concept films with big names attached as stars/writers/directors etc, ranging from animation to action movies to musicals.

It's essentially the same strategy he used in the 90s to turn New Line Studios from the company that churned out Nightmare on Elm Street sequels to the one that could fund all three Lord of the Rings films at the same time.

However, the key to making sure that they can fund these movies is ensuring that NTTD makes at least $700-800 million worldwide and VOD simply can't provide those kinds of numbers, even with a theatrical release in some countries.

Mulan was always going to make most of its money from a theatrical run in China and it's still getting one. It can take a loss in the US and Europe because it's unlikely it would have made that much in either of those places anyway.

MGM's new head, Michael DeLuca, has been very clear on his desire to rebuild MGM as a major studio that can make and release its own films. Part of that has involved greenlighting a large slate of high concept films with big names attached as stars/writers/directors etc, ranging from animation to action movies to musicals.

It's essentially the same strategy he used in the 90s to turn New Line Studios from the company that churned out Nightmare on Elm Street sequels to the one that could fund all three Lord of the Rings films at the same time.

However, the key to making sure that they can fund these movies is ensuring that NTTD makes at least $700-800 million worldwide and VOD simply can't provide those kinds of numbers, even with a theatrical release in some countries.

Mulan was always going to make most of its money from a theatrical run in China and it's still getting one. It can take a loss in the US and Europe because it's unlikely it would have made that much in either of those places anyway.

Exactly, spot on.
    I'm curious to see if MGM ends up wavering on the issue if things don't get better or more and more titles announce similar VOD plans.
    They are better off on VOD or their box office is going to suck regardless. Absolutely nobody I know wants to actively go sit in an indoors theater with someone who could possibly be sick, mask or no mask. You are leaving yourself at the mercy of employees who may or may not have properly cleaned the room and seats, as well as the idiots who refuse to wear masks. There is no telling when things will get better, especially here in the states, so they may be forced to release internationally with VOD an option for the states. I am as die hard as they come and I can already tell you I will not be in a theater for this. I have two kids under the age of 4, I am not even remotely risking getting it. Not to even mention, if they do release selectively that they will have to bet on huge amounts of online piracy. This movie is just a lost cause. If they release selectively, they lose money. If they release on VOD, they lose money. If they keep pushing it back, they lose money.

Just take the loss, release the flick and start early work on 26 to give you some down time while we course correct with the virus.
  • Even if a vaccine becomes available soon, it's a minimum 18 months out from any kind of theatre return to "normalcy".
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 187
    Even if a vaccine becomes available soon, it's a minimum 18 months out from any kind of theatre return to "normalcy".

Exactly. There's no feasible way I can see the states being ready even if EON and MGM delay the film to next summer. Even then, with how dumb a lot of the anti-maskers are, there's no guarantee the U.S. will be in a good place by then. It's a running joke how many times this film has been delayed at this point. More like No Time to Release.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 3,564
    So God knows why they would put this on their app which I hear is basically just Mickey Mouse and Frozen content.

You hear incorrectly. Disney+ also has the Marvel and Star Wars content. I got the app last month just to see Hamilton & have enjoyed the wide variety of material available here well enough that i'll be keeping it for a little while longer. Don't care about Mulan enough to be shelling out the extra $ for that...but still, you're off-base on this particular point.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Another addition to Disney+ is the integration of 20th Century Fox titles, at least the family friendly films. All the adult oriented Fox titles are likely on Hulu, also owned by Disney.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,157
    So God knows why they would put this on their app which I hear is basically just Mickey Mouse and Frozen content. Though it was always going to end up on Disney+ eventually.

I'm not sure who you heard that from but Mickey Mouse content is exactly the reason why I did the two weeks trial for Disney+ and I couldn't be more disappointed (hence why I'm not going to subscribe to the service). Disney+ is amazing for Marvel and Star Wars fans since you'll find pretty much everything related to those two franchises but the Disney side is very lame (especially in my country, where even less content is available).
  • Walecs wrote: »
    So God knows why they would put this on their app which I hear is basically just Mickey Mouse and Frozen content. Though it was always going to end up on Disney+ eventually.

I'm not sure who you heard that from but Mickey Mouse content is exactly the reason why I did the two weeks trial for Disney+ and I couldn't be more disappointed (hence why I'm not going to subscribe to the service). Disney+ is amazing for Marvel and Star Wars fans since you'll find pretty much everything related to those two franchises but the Disney side is very lame (especially in my country, where even less content is available).

Maybe it's your country. I'm in the USA & a quick check of my Disney+ service shows "Mickey Mouse Through the Years" is readily available. Or maybe your desires run just a little deeper than mine. One way or another, there's a heck of a lot of programming available here!
    km16 wrote: »
    They are better off on VOD or their box office is going to suck regardless. Absolutely nobody I know wants to actively go sit in an indoors theater with someone who could possibly be sick, mask or no mask. You are leaving yourself at the mercy of employees who may or may not have properly cleaned the room and seats, as well as the idiots who refuse to wear masks. There is no telling when things will get better, especially here in the states, so they may be forced to release internationally with VOD an option for the states. I am as die hard as they come and I can already tell you I will not be in a theater for this. I have two kids under the age of 4, I am not even remotely risking getting it. Not to even mention, if they do release selectively that they will have to bet on huge amounts of online piracy. This movie is just a lost cause. If they release selectively, they lose money. If they release on VOD, they lose money. If they keep pushing it back, they lose money.

Just take the loss, release the flick and start early work on 26 to give you some down time while we course correct with the virus.

Agree with all this.They surely have to realise that along with most other industries,they are going to take a loss financially no matter what they do.Best to release it at cinemas and PVOD,at least they will make some money back and start prepping for future Bond films.

• UK economic forecasts are that the economy might recover fully by late 2021. Why not delay until 2022 and make it the 60th anniversary film?
    UK economic forecasts are that the economy might recover fully by late 2021. Why not delay until 2022 and make it the 60th anniversary film?

I don't see them sitting on this film for two years. It'll find a way to release in 2021 or they'll have to compromise and go for a digital release, I'd imagine.