NTTD & Corona

Comments

Movies used to have staggered release patterns all the time and if that works for the foreseeable future then so be it. People forget that while Star Wars opened in the US in May 77 it didnt reach the UK until December 77 and then only in London. It didnt go on general release in Britain til March 78. Obviously it's a very different world now with the internet and piracy i get that. But worldwide day and date releasing is just not workable right now
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Unhinged is no longer releasing in the USA on July 31st.
  • MeetBondMeetBond Mar-a-lago
    I am eagerly looking forward to TENET with eagerness and optimism. If TENENT proves to be a big blockbuster hit, well, Nolan is in line to be rewarded with a new role as director of Bond after TENET.
    MeetBond wrote: »
    I am eagerly looking forward to TENET with eagerness and optimism. If TENENT proves to be a big blockbuster hit, well, Nolan is in line to be rewarded with a new role as director of Bond after TENET.

Let's just get NTTD out first!
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 824
    matt_u wrote: »
    'TENET' TOSSES PLAYBOOK: STAGGERED ROLLOUT MAY BE NEW BOX OFFICE "NORMAL"

So... can NTTD wait for everything to be "perfect"?

It doesn't have to but this is a $250 million dollar movie. $30 million has already gone down the drain due to wasted April marketing costs. If Universal want to open into socially distanced but open theatres, then go for it. It isn't my money. If a botched non lucrative release puts the continuation of the series in doubt then so be it it. We'll always have 25 films to enjoy.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Bill & Ted 3' to hit VOD and select cinemas simultaneously amid ongoing pandemic

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/bill-ted-face-music-hit-vod-cinemas-simultaneously-1304065
  • VOD doesn't appear to be an option for NTTD. It will have a cinema release and all things considered Summer 2021 appears the best option.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Eventually studio execs get panicky and also greedy and are willing to cut certain losses in order to make immediate (and needed) profits/influx of cash... so I think all options will be considered for all films
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    I'll say it again: Barbara Broccoli, herself, has stated that it'll be up to the fans/audience as to how they want their entertainment in the future, and that was in regards to VOD. So, at this point, I really don't think anything is out of the question.
    I’m in favor of VOD big time for NTTD at this point, but wasn’t it recently confirmed that it wasn’t an option?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    OOWolf wrote: »
    I'll say it again: Barbara Broccoli, herself, has stated that it'll be up to the fans/audience as to how they want their entertainment in the future, and that was in regards to VOD. So, at this point, I really don't think anything is out of the question.

Still VOD is not a sustainable option for MGM, who paid for the film. Bond is their only billion dollars asset and they don’t have other blockbuster of this scale down the pipeline like Universal, Disney or WB.
    According to Deadline, Tenet will no longer be the first major release post re-opening.

To date, Disney hasn’t announced that Mulan would be shifting from its current Aug. 21 release date, and there’s speculation by a number of those in exhibition (and here by AMC) as well as rival studios that the movie won’t necessarily move, rather follow a course where it opens where it can around the country and the world.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/amc-theatres-new-reopening-date-coronavirus-tenet-1202992874/
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland

Still VOD is not a sustainable option for MGM, who paid for the film. Bond is their only billion dollars asset and they don’t have other blockbuster of this scale down the pipeline like Universal, Disney or WB.

MGM may also need cash sooner rather than later... there will be tipping points for companies.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Meanwhile Disney is postponing everything in a big release calendar shakeup. Mulan has been postponed indefinitely since for now has been taken off the calendar...

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/star-wars-films-avatar-sequels-pushed-back-a-year-in-disney-release-calendar-shakeup-1234715104/

I‘d say a further official delay for NTTD will happen in a matter of weeks.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    When Disney pushes everything back like that, you know MGM has to. They're not a powerhouse like Disney, so they CANNOT put NTTD out and potentially lose so much due to low audience turnout. MGM may want to really push for a company to buy them out like Apple, because they're in danger.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yes, at this rate, their only truly viable option is to release this in theaters with no early VOD rollout or anything of the sort, which means the film is going to be sitting on a shelf for the next five or six months, at least.
    When Disney pushes everything back like that, you know MGM has to. They're not a powerhouse like Disney, so they CANNOT put NTTD out and potentially lose so much due to low audience turnout. MGM may want to really push for a company to buy them out like Apple, because they're in danger.

Our only hope for seeing NTTD via VOD would be if Apple, Netflix or Amazon bought MGM out specifically to grab headline content like that for their own streaming services. But it would be huge price tag. And seems unlikely, given Bond's touchstone meaning to cinema and longtime relationships with exhibitors.

It would be the real shot across the bow that says the previous era is done.

And it would be amazing.

Which is why I can't see it happening.

Matt007 wrote: »
    We have encouraging first stage trials.
    Nothing more.
    That is factually incorrect. One example: https://www.atlantamagazine.com/health/phase-3-covid-19-vaccine-trials-start-at-emory-giving-atlantans-a-potential-shot-at-immunity/
    AgentM72 wrote: »

Our only hope for seeing NTTD via VOD would be if Apple, Netflix or Amazon bought MGM out specifically to grab headline content like that for their own streaming services. But it would be huge price tag. And seems unlikely, given Bond's touchstone meaning to cinema and longtime relationships with exhibitors.

And it would be amazing.

Nobody could ever buy Bond from MGM. That's why it would probably be smarter to just buy MGM whole. It's not just for exclusive streaming rights to franchises (after a proper theatrical window, I should stress), but at least backed by a major company like Apple, MGM would have more resources. They wouldn't have to negotiate co-production with other studios like Sony and Universal. Under Apple, they could potentially make the films again, expand their UA distribution program.
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    By this point, I think MGM's last vestige of hope is to be acquired by a streaming service. If all their cards are on the table for Bond itself, then that's a problem. It's not like EON is cranking Bond films out anymore, so they're making a stupid risk if all their eggs go solely into the OO basket.
    By this point, I think MGM's last vestige of hope is to be acquired by a streaming service. If all their cards are on the table for Bond itself, then that's a problem. It's not like EON is cranking Bond films out anymore, so they're making a stupid risk if all their eggs go solely into the OO basket.

The problem is MGM. Even if EON wanted to crank out Bond films at a rapid rate like Cubby's days, they're still under MGM, which needs help from other co-production companies like Sony and Universal in order to put any of these out there. In case everyone forgot, the first deal with Sony originally expired after QOS. From that point, MGM was on their own, but then they went bankrupt, and EON was forced to put Bond 23 on hiatus. Hence a four years passing before we get SF. Then after SP the Sony deal expires again, and it's being run by Tom "Deadpool will never be a hit" Rothman. EON was hoping to find a new co-production company soon after SP, but it took until 2017 to finally happened, but it's a one film deal with Universal because they only want to do it if it has Craig, and he only agreed to do one more.

So before pre-production work can even begin for Bond 26, NTTD needs to make some bank for MGM to stay in business. Then MGM and EON need to shop around for another co-production studio, but this time the studios are going to be VERY opinionated on who will be cast as Bond before putting THEIR money on a production/distribution deal. The reason why Sony's Amy Pascal was such a big ally for EON was because she was going to support EON's choice of Daniel Craig, whereas any other studio head might have balked at that choice. This will likely elongate the casting process, thus pushing back the film further.

This is why MGM being bought out by a big company could make things potentially smoother for EON. Perhaps a deal with Apple that Bond would still get traditional theatrical releases, but they would have exclusive streaming rights for the franchise on Apple TV+, along with all other MGM catalog. It would essentially be the AppleMGM. No longer just a small office with people begging other studios to do more remakes of their catalog that nobody will go to.
    A Quiet Place 2 and Top Gun: Maverick delayed to April 2021 and July 2021, respectively.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/quiet-place-2-top-gun-2-moving-to-2021-1202993889/

----

Without Remorse has been sold to Amazon for a straight to VOD release.

The film was due for a wide theatrical release in February 2021.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/michael-b-jordan-without-remorse-amazon-1234714715/

----

Antlers delayed to February 2021.
    The French Dispatch has been delayed indefinitely.
    Ridley Scott's The Last Duel delayed to October 2021.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    AgentM72 wrote: »

And it would be amazing.

You know, Apple might be willing to do that, in order to buy street cred for their streaming service. And then Apple could release B26 however they wanted. As odd as it sounds, B25 could be a loss leader...but not for MGM/Eon, for Apple.
    As of today, July 24th:

No new movies releasing in July.
    Unhinged was indefinitely delayed a few days ago.

Two movies still have wide theatrical releases in August:
    The horror film Antebellum on the 21st.
    The New Mutants on the 28th.

Two movies still have wide theatrical releases in September:
    The Liam Neeson action/thriller Honest Thief on the 4th.
    The King's Man on the 18th.
    Well we might be in for another formal delay announcement for good now I feel... Paramount's moves here are bold.
    I don’t understand why they are still waiting 2021 is getting crowded.

A late October release looks like a prime empty space at the moment. The Batman opens on October 1st, Halloween Kills on October 15th, and then no big blockbuster until Fantastic Beasts 3 on November 12th and Mission Impossible 7 on November 19th. I think of those currently dated films, Fantastic Beasts is likely to be pushed to 2022, making even more room for NTTD.

A late October release looks like a prime empty space at the moment. The Batman opens on October 1st, Halloween Kills on October 15th, and then no big blockbuster until Fantastic Beasts 3 on November 12th and Mission Impossible 7 on November 19th. I think of those currently dated films, Fantastic Beasts is likely to be pushed to 2022, making even more room for NTTD.

I wonder if MI7 will make it given the current situation. They have to film two movies, not just one.

I wonder if MI7 will make it given the current situation. They have to film two movies, not just one.

If the global situation is still looking grim by November/December, then yes MI7/MI8 will both be delayed to summer 2022/summer 2023 respectively.

I think EON are waiting to see what WB decides for Tenet. IMO the late August international release/early September domestic release is still wishful thinking. I believe WB will delay Tenet to October 2nd, and push Wonder Woman 1984 to 2021. And Tenet will have to be pushed to 2021 too at one point.