NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• Ah, thank you, that makes sense. 🙂

I think this situation goes to show that the film industry needs to somehow decentralise the apparent financial success or failure of any big budget film away from the US (and to a lesser extent China). If a film's worldwide release date is pushed back mostly or solely because of events in the US, how does that make sense or is fair on the rest of us (especially if it's a for a non American created character like Bond)?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Ah, thank you, that makes sense. 🙂

I think this situation goes to show that the film industry needs to somehow decentralise the apparent financial success or failure of any big budget film away from the US (and to a lesser extent China). If a film's worldwide release date is pushed back mostly or solely because of events in the US, how does that make sense or is fair on the rest of us (especially if it's a for a non American created character like Bond)?

Business only really needs to make sense to those with a financial stake in what is being sold.
    The world has changed since Dr No and one of the major ways it has changed is that it is now much, much easier to copy or pirate a film.

Pirating a movie in 1962 was pretty much impossible. Even if you got hold of a set of the actual reels of Dr No you would then have to duplicate the reels, a very time consuming and chemistry-based process. And then you’d have to distribute the new reels physically somehow. And not many people would buy them because not many people owned their own reel projectors and cinema screen to project onto. These are the problems of physical media.

Today it’s easier to pirate. Which is why film distributors try to release films in different international markets at the same time, or at least within as short an overall period as possible.

So a film distributor needs to consider all potential markets today, not just a few.

‘Fairness’ doesn’t come into it. A film company needs to maximise its income from its product. The longer it has its product in one market but not in others the higher is the risk of piracy, and the more money it will lose. If the accountants say that income will be maximised by not releasing the film anywhere until markets open up again, then the film will not be released

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    December is pretty crowded for films right. So if the film gets delayed when is their an open spot. February? April? What do we think?
    Ah, thank you, that makes sense. 🙂

This is such a weird argument considering that the Bond film franchise has been in the hands of Americans since its inception.
    December is pretty crowded for films right. So if the film gets delayed when is their an open spot. February? April? What do we think?

February was one that was suggested a while back, and it seems to be the best one to me at the moment. However, with the way the calendar is shifting all the time now, it's hard to know.
  • This is such a weird argument considering that the Bond film franchise has been in the hands of Americans since its inception.

Yes I am aware of that but the character himself is a British creation - one of a small handful of British fictional cultural icons that still have mainstream relevance today. The films are also made by a largely British based production team and crew. Surely that counts for something in terms of film release priorities - everything in this world can't just be approved by or dictated by the US (or everything hinges on it). As much as they seem to think as a country, they're not the centre of the flipping universe.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    As much as they seem to think as a country, they're not the centre of the flipping universe.

You've been repeating this since yesterday. It won't change the reality that until the pandemic is contained in the US, no big-budget film like NTTD and Tenet will be releasing in theaters.
    As much as they seem to think as a country, they're not the centre of the flipping universe.

You've been repeating this since yesterday. It won't change the reality that until the pandemic is contained in the US, no big-budget film like NTTD and Tenet will be releasing in theaters.

Your time would evidently be better spent on something else, @DaltonCraig007.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

''And tiiiime, tiiime is not on youur siiiiide'', right @CraigMooreOHMSS? ;-)

• It won't change the reality that until the pandemic is contained in the US, no big-budget film like NTTD and Tenet will be releasing in theaters.

So, in that case, I hope you'll be happy to wait years for these films then. If other every country in the world with Covid cases were to contain the pandemic but the US still hadn't, you would still think it's sensible for everyone else to continue waiting for the US to catch up before any big budget films were to come out.

I'm just tired of reading all the time about films being delayed because of cases in the US as if no other countries matter or even exist at the moment. In a logical or fair world, the US should wait, not everyone else. It's like a whole class in school having detention because of a few badly behaved pupils (I had that experience once in secondary school). How is tarring everyone with the same brush fair or just to everyone else who behaved properly?
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    I'm just tired of reading all the time about films being delayed because of cases in the US as if no other countries matter or even exist at the moment. In a logical or fair world, the US should wait, not everyone else. It's like a whole class in school having detention because of a few badly behaved pupils (I had that experience once in secondary school). How is tarring everyone with the same brush fair or just to everyone else who behaved properly?

Current countries where Covid-19 cases are surging:

USA, Brazil, Russia, India, Chile, Iran, Mexico, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iraq, Peru, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Colombia, Argentina, Ukraine, Oman, Philippines, Bolivia, Indonesia, Ecuador, Panama.

So, why do you keep repeating that only the USA are seeing a rise in coronavirus cases?
    I'm just tired of reading all the time about films being delayed because of cases in the US as if no other countries matter or even exist at the moment.

And we are all tired of you spamming utter rubbish because the current situation makes you unhappy. Guess what? Coronavirus does not care at all about what you think. Now stop sounding like a broken record.

I'll say it for the final time: Until the USA has their outbreak under control, no big budget will be coming out in cinemas.

If you want to keep denying reality, do it by yourself in your mind without spamming this thread.

''And tiiiime, tiiime is not on youur siiiiide'', right @CraigMooreOHMSS? ;-)

Dun dun, dun dun!

77qV.gif
  • So, why do you keep repeating that only the USA are seeing a rise in coronavirus cases?
    I never said that.
    Guess what? Coronavirus does not care at all about what you think.
    I know it doesn't. Why is that? It is alive but it is not sentient, it can't think or feel. People need to stop ascribing emotional descriptions to germs.
    I'll say it for the final time: Until the USA has their outbreak under control, no big budget will be coming out in cinemas.
    I'll say this for the final time then: I hope you don't mind waiting possibly years for these big budget films to come out then. You say you've been to the cinema several times since they re-opened in your country. Did they happen to be big budget films or not?

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    @RogerJonMoorePertwee you really need to chill out. This is the world we're in. You can't do anything about it, so you might as well look for other forms of entertainment instead of focusing on NTTD or any other film.
  • You can't do anything about it, so you might as well look for other forms of entertainment instead of focusing on NTTD or any other film.

Thanks, that's very true. Saying that though, why are we all still focusing on NTTD on this forum since there's really nothing new to talk about at the moment?
    It was more of a suggestion for you than anyone else, given how you said you don't like reading about bad news. Since a lot of the NTTD discussion concerns the pandemic impacting its release date, it's inevitable to hear bad news.

Besides, there's tons of other threads to focus on outside of NTTD.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited June 2020 Posts: 3,157
    It's like a whole class in school having detention because of a few badly behaved pupils (I had that experience once in secondary school)

I had that monthly, and I think they're two different things. The school thing comes from teachers being lazy and not knowing how they to do their job - they just don't want to deal with troubles because they believe that, by giving strong punishments, the kids will eventually learn to behave (basically punishment is meant as a deterrent, too bad that most of the time it does the opposite effect).
    The movie situation sucks a lot, I feel you and I agree, but it doesn't come from producers punishing people, it's just how things are. EON invested a lot of money in NTTD and they gotta make it back if we want them to produce more Bond movies in the future. Again, it sucks, but EON are not doing that to punish us.
    skynews-bournemouth-beach-hot-5022481.jpg

Unbelievable.

WHY is this being allowed to happen? Those beaches should be closed and any civilians going near them should turned away by police.Its behavior and sheer lunacy like this which is why there is an upsurge in infected cases and why no new film releases will happen this year.
    Just ask our ineffective president.
  • The movie situation sucks a lot, I feel you and I agree, but it doesn't come from producers punishing people, it's just how things are. EON invested a lot of money in NTTD and they gotta make it back if we want them to produce more Bond movies in the future. Again, it sucks, but EON are not doing that to punish us.
    Thanks for your message. I know it's not to punish us but I still think everything shouldn't all hinge on one country's developments.
  • Just ask our ineffective president.
    Or my incompetent prime minister - the same thing's been happening in the UK over the last few days.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Unbelievable.

WHY is this being allowed to happen? Those beaches should be closed and any civilians going near them should turned away by police.Its behavior and sheer lunacy like this which is why there is an upsurge in infected cases and why no new film releases will happen this year.

Imagine thinking this is related to NTTD box office.
    Walecs wrote: »

Unbelievable.

He says after arguing about people returning to work for the last two pages.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 3,157
    I don't think going to the beach and going to the work are the same thing, but then again we have libtards who believed that those who wanted to go back to work wanted to end the lockdowns to get a haircut.
    I don't think going to the beach and going to the work are the same thing

They're not, but both have equally as much to do with the Bond box office as the other - unless you work in a theatre, of course.

Broadway shutdown extended until January due to COVID-19 pandemic; Broadway theaters are in the same Phase 4 reopening as movie theaters in NYC.

https://abc7ny.com/entertainment/broadway-shutdown-extended-until-january-due-to-coronavirus/6281022/

----

L.A. mayor hits '''hard pause'' on reopening amidst alarming rise in Covid-19 cases.

https://variety.com/2020/politics/news/gavin-newsom-halt-los-angeles-reopenings-rising-coronavirus-cases-1234693477/

----

Arizona orders bars, gyms and theaters to close again.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2020/06/29/arizona-coronavirus-update-from-governor-doug-ducey-june-29/3280626001/
    More and more movie theatres having to close again in the US. In the UK, the city of Leicester will be in forced lock down for another 2 weeks. This will be the pattern for many, many months to come. When we get to November, I doubt very much we'll be back to normal, with packed cinemas and huge box office receipts. I think for the next 18-24 months this will be the normal, so EON / Universal have a really problem for NTTD. They cannot possibly expect a huge box office. The cold hard facts are that the crowds won't be there (and possibly not allowed to be there).
    So what do they do? One option for them is to accept a poor box office but release for November, but then go for a quick stream / home video release before Christmas to recover their losses. It's either that or delay the movie for 3 years when we finally have a vaccine. The world has changed, so movie companies need to change too if they want to survive in this post-covid world.

Unbelievable.

It has everything to do with NTTD. It means the virus will spread, which will hit the wider population, which will force lock-downs and cinemas from shutting, which means that come November, we won't be seeing No Time To Die.
    SonofSean wrote: »

Unbelievable.

It has everything to do with NTTD. It means the virus will spread, which will hit the wider population, which will force lock-downs and cinemas from shutting, which means that come November, we won't be seeing No Time To Die.

That was a given even before the picture :(