I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    thedove wrote: »
    I remember at the time of release the publicity was about the dance and how it would show a different side of the character. I agree with you @mtm that it's a nice scene and a great way to handle some story exposition while also showing some movement and character.

I like the romance of Bond and Domino in TB. When she melts into and says "the way you hold me." The back and forth with Fiona is also handled nicely.

Based on the night club scenes featured in NTTD teaser maybe Craig will join Connery as the only 2 to dance?

That would be very cool. Maybe have him sing a little song as well, while on the beach.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I think we see a half second of Dalton dancing at the Leiters' wedding party.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld

Nice! You are correct. I recall now. Della interrupts his dance with a girl on the dance floor. Or am I mixing it up with another scene?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Can someone confirm this...is Connery's Bond the only one to sing and dance?

DN sings Underneath the Mango Tree to Honey on the beach
    TB dances with Fiona and Domino

I could even add in NSNA where he tangos with Domino. Odd that he's the only one who does both. Or am I wrong?

Heh! That's a fun observation.

I rather liked the NSNA tango bit, I wouldn't mind Bond doing something like that again.

I think Dalton could have pulled a scene like that off. He looked pretty dashing dancing with Jennifer Connelly in THE ROCKETEER.

Yeah definitely: it might have made him seem a bit more confident.

Forgot about that! Tim did look alright on the dance floor.

I remember back in the '80's, after watching Bond play the Domination video game in NSNA joking with my Dad as to which Bond could possibly pull off break dancing.
    He laughed and said he'd rather see Roger attempt it than Sean. I immediately pictured Sir Roger moon-walking in his AVTAK tracks suit. A funny thought.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Forgot about that! Tim did look alright on the dance floor.

I remember back in the '80's, after watching Bond play the Domination video game in NSNA joking with my Dad as to which Bond could possibly pull off break dancing.
    He laughed and said he'd rather see Roger attempt it than Sean. I immediately pictured Sir Roger moon-walking in his AVTAK tracks suit. A funny thought.

He invented snowboarding in that film, so that's the next closest thing maybe.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    I've only just realized that the Nazi soldier who gets killed by the Bear Jew with a baseball bat in Inglorious Basterds is the portrayed by the same actor as Gettler in CR.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I've only just realized that the Nazi soldier who gets killed by the Bear Jew with a baseball bat in Inglorious Basterds is the portrayed by the same actor as Gettler in CR.

True. Mendel (Ludger Pistor) from CR is also in Inglourious Basterds. These two actors managed to be in my two favourite movies of all time.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I've never noticed... that AWTD appears to quote OHMSS. I don't know why the following video shows Chris Cornell, but you can hear what I mean at 3:07.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,012
    Yes that was Jack White's intent for "Another Way to Die". You can also see OHMSS connections in the title sequence images.

By extension, there is David Arnold's own "No Good About Goodbye" as an unused theme. Its melody is very similar, and is threaded through the Quantum of Solace score. I really enjoy those moments.

And they're all structured around the Bond theme, to seamlessly segue between the three. Or four.

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Yes that was Jack White's intent for "Another Way to Die". You can also see OHMSS connections in the title sequence images.

By extension, there is David Arnold's own "No Good About Goodbye" as an unused theme. Its melody is very similar, and is threaded through the Quantum of Solace score. I really enjoy those moments.

And they're all structured around the Bond theme, to seamlessly segue between the three. Or four.
    Yeah, that motif of No Good About Goodbye that pops up throughout the score is very good.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 512
    In Thunderball, the scene at Palmyra (death of Paula) was supposed to play after the Junkanoo-sequence.
    I always found it rather odd, to go from Junkanoo to Palmyra, back to Junkanoo.
    This explains the strange dubbing in the short scene where Bond says to Pinder: Tell him Paula's dead. Pinder replies "OK."
    Pinders lips don't move, and Bonds barely move.
    Thunderball has many scenes altered in post-production.
    JWPepper wrote: »
    In Thunderball, the scene at Palmyra (death of Paula) was supposed to play after the Junkanoo-sequence.
    This explains the strange dubbing in the short scene where Bond says to Pinder: Tell him Paula's dead. Pinder replies "OK."

They treat is so matter-of-factly. Some fans have criticized it. Then again, it's one of those things that Bond has to do. He can't take the time to mourn always and has to press on to get the job done.

Peter Hunt really had a challenge in trying to get TB in shape to meet the release date and there's a still a lot of questionable editing.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    BT3366 wrote: »
    JWPepper wrote: »

They treat is so matter-of-factly. Some fans have criticized it. Then again, it's one of those things that Bond has to do. He can't take the time to mourn always and has to press on to get the job done.

Peter Hunt really had a challenge in trying to get TB in shape to meet the release date and there's a still a lot of questionable clever editing.

There.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Yesterday I rewatched Munich. First time was in 2005 and now I notice that James Bond, Hugo Drax and Dominique Green star in it.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    matt_u wrote: »
    Yesterday I rewatched Munich. First time was in 2005 and now I notice that James Bond, Hugo Drax and Dominique Green star in it.

*Dominic
    I need to get round to watching that...
  • When Bond jumps from Kobe docks, it looks as if he jumps from 2 levels. But he doesn't. The 2nd jump is from the same ledge but filmed from the ground level.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    matt_u wrote: »

Ronin's a bit of a Bond villain convention too :)
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    When Bond jumps from Kobe docks, it looks as if he jumps from 2 levels. But he doesn't. The 2nd jump is from the same ledge but filmed from the ground level.

With the old Simmons, Connery switch! ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    When Bond jumps from Kobe docks, it looks as if he jumps from 2 levels. But he doesn't. The 2nd jump is from the same ledge but filmed from the ground level.

With the old Simmons, Connery switch! ;)

Yeah it's probably his most obvious! But I must admit I did only just notice (so thread-appropriate!) the switch he does at the end of Dr No.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    This shot must have been taken by the double take pigeon. 🕊
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 17,279
    I think I've found another example of objects appearing in several films. This time it's a set of matching figurines that appears to make quite a few appearances. This is still a "work in progress", and I will be keeping an eye out for them when watching the other films.

OHMSS
    7o6mOeM.png
    CZmryol.png
    (it's out of focus, so I can't be sure, but it appears the figurines are placed on either side of the door)

DAF:
    Dtiz2VS.png

LALD:
    MXRuHMF.png
    udgHiIY.png

FYEO:
    V0awY3L.png

AVTAK:
    2V9D39G.png
    mt4CuAz.png
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Great spot, Torg. Most re-used prop, perhaps?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Good spot indeed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Very nice work!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,926
    Here's one I noticed just a few weeks back. The TLD first aid sack bomb detonator was reused as a door keypad in GE Q-Branch. The round thing next to it is probably a speaker housing.

50053826436_b0d8f4884d_o.png
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 17,279
    QBranch wrote: »
    Great spot, Torg. Most re-used prop, perhaps?

There are props from M's office that appear more frequently, surely? If only counting props that we see outside M's office, then it might be one of the more re-used props for sure.

Good spot indeed.
    mtm wrote: »
    Very nice work!

Thanks! I hope these two figurines appear in other films too. In my last re-watch of the films, I couldn't see them anywhere in TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR or LTK, but I'm not too sure about the 60's Connery films.
    Here's one I noticed just a few weeks back. The TLD first aid sack bomb detonator was reused as a door keypad in GE Q-Branch. The round thing next to it is probably a speaker housing.

Hah, that's a great way to reuse a prop! Good spot!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,948

Wow, eagle eyes. I remember seeing that prop just laying around in the lobby to the old 007 ride experience thing at the Trocadero in London in the 90s. It wasn't on display, it was just sort of set dressing as you were supposedly in 'Q branch'!
    A silly thing when thinking about David Hedison: How the sensation of helplessness and doom while he's been dragged to the sharks can mirror the iconic ending of The Fly. But while the fly-human is pitiable and patethic, Felix stays defiant to the end. And survives: what a badass.