No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400
    antovolk wrote: »
    It may just be me and I've said this before but I always disliked how aloof the Bond 'brand' has been, and personally yes, would like to see the sort of things like Comic-Con happen. Do a fan event where the trailer premieres, hold a fan screening and/or Q&A with Craig and Cary etc before or at the same time as the press shows. So that all the stuff doesn't happen at arm's length from fans, but actually gets fans directly involved. Is there a way to achieve that while keeping the 'class' of the Bond brand?

David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a brilliant case study (of a bygone era too expensive to replicate even by today's studio standards) of a campaign that did just that...
    http://199.230.111.27/work/mouthtapedshut

I understand your frustration...but the 'Bond brand' works.

They get the interest and attention without even having to try that hard and they maintain their 'exclusivity' factor. People buy into that brand, hence why when Bond comes out in November, every Xmas party under the sun has a 'Bond themed' event as it's an aspirational brand that people get to indulge in.

TGWTDT had an amazing marketing brand - but the box office numbers speak for themselves.

If anything from the Boyle departure, PWB hiring, Lashana being 007, Billie Eilish doing the theme, and the corona delay. This film has been one of the most discussed Bond films for better or worse.

The amount of ink spilled for NTTD has been huge compared to other Bond's. You just can't pay for that kinda exposure for most films.

I mean when Edgar Wright left Ant-Man, or Colin Trevorrow left Star Wars, it didn't make the national front pages. Did it? Bond has a huge footprint and they don't have to pander.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,009
    Funnily enough, in comparison with the more, I suppose, "generic" marketing of other series, the above mentioned and very well put exclusivity that is pushed behind the Bond series is actually the thing that makes it so appealing to the casual moviegoer. Everyone loves good food, beautiful people, nice clothes and stunning cars. Bond is unique in that sense, which is why it has so many casual fans - the superficial aspects appeal to most human tastes. It's one of the things that makes me laugh when I see people talk about the relevancy of the series - it'll likely always have a strong chance of survival as long as people like these kinds of things.

This topic kind of goes hand in hand with what is said above about the hardcore fan group - the ones who see beyond the superficiality and talk about all the things other than the obvious ones that make Bond a national treasure.

It would be nice to see a bigger deal made out of a trailer premiere admittedly. The Jamaica thing last year was a half-hearted attempt at something like that, but they didn't really push it. It'd be great to see that done properly, online, for every film. It would allow Bond to be part of the "online reveal" culture without needing to be part of something like Comic-Con. It wouldn't require a huge change, either; the press conferences for the films before NTTD were built on the same idea, just a more basic approach.
    I'm new one here. Great forum"
    How about the scene n.253? The are other scenes after the 253?
    I only hope James Bond will survive again at the end.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 725
    Bond should not be compared to the comic book/Disney brands and their fanbases. Firstly, Bond is less US-centric (no main American characters in the series other than Felix and the occasional girl or villain), a national icon in the UK, and with a broad and cross-generational global following. I think it should stay that way... the marketing should be more present in Cannes not Comic Con.

Lol, the cannes crowd abhors Bond.
    Univex wrote: »
    Absolutely. Also, it would be disheartening if they felt they had to cater to younger audiences, because Bond was always meant for adults. That should always be its niche.

This is junk. Many of us became Bond fans as kids. If Bond doesn't appeal to kids it won't survive for long.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    echo wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    But I do agree moving forward Bond does need to adapt and cater somewhat to the blog crowd. Hence why the tone and casting of the next Bond is so important and why they will likely go younger.
    A great post there @antovolk

And yes, these are my exact thoughts @Pierce2Daniel Its also why I think EON are gonna be keeping their eye on the success of Reeves’/Pattinson’s The Batman next year.

They're going to have their own bat problems.
    In what sense?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    This is junk. Many of us became Bond fans as kids. If Bond doesn't appeal to kids it won't survive for long.

Just because we became Bond fans as kids doesn't mean it was aimed at kids. Indiana Jones is another that is not necessarily aimed at children, despite its adventure qualities, that many became a fan of when they were small. I also became a fan of Terminator, Alien, Die Hard etc as a kid, so it means little.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 309
    Interesting discussion. I think the Bond brand sits somewhere between Sherlock Holmes and Batman in that it's a storied legacy with literary roots that is continually updated and relaunched for new generations. I think a real case can be made that Bond's fifty+ years of unbroken success, as relative as that is, comes down to EON's focus on the final product. Unlike most superhero films, the marketing and ancillary products are used to sell the film, and not the other way round.

It also seems that, unlike Batman but more like Holmes, Bond is intimately entwined in the British national identity. It may have been author Jeremy Black that put forward that James Bond and Princess Diana are the biggest influences on the British national character in the second half of the 20th century. This seems like a unique feature to Bond. It would almost seem unseemly for Bond to pander in the way that most superhero films do. That being said, there is a lot of potential left on the table for the Bond brand to increase or widen its appeal.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 3,164
    It's funny you mention Sherlock Holmes because - the BBC Benedict Cumberbatch version in particular - was one of the properties that gave birth to modern online fandom as we see today. The show really really thrives off the back of that fandom, and BBC is fully engaging them on multiple levels, including Comic-Con...
  • jabalijabali Los Angeles
    edited June 2020 Posts: 43
    I just hope the personal story arc for each Bond doesn't become a trend in the franchise. I'd say I love the Craig films for the most part, but the glaring issue is that not much of his arc was really planned out which gives you muddled continuity once you get to Spectre.

I think we've reached the point in film history where cinematic universes (aside from the strongest) will start to die out, because everyone's trying it now with little effect. I know I'm not in the minority when I say that the franchise needs to go back to the one-off adventures. Keep minimal continuity, don't get lost in its ambition, and don't do this "Bond's REAL true love" thing for another few decades.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 820
    I feel awful for the filmmaking team, seeing this spoiler just floating out there openly in so many mainstream sources.

This film has quite transparently just been an unbelievably difficult haul to get to the screen, and they've battled so hard at every step to get it done. The time pressure was intense, which is to say nothing of the creative and logistical challenges.

It feels like Cary, the producers, the writers, the cast and the crew all collectively pulled off miracles to actually hit the April 2020 date. And did it without this information leaking (at least as of March), which is no small feat in and of itself.

It just seems like no matter how hard and cleverly they've worked to get this thing done, there's no respite from the setbacks. I hope the film itself is widely well-received when we finally see it, because they deserve it.

And we do truly seem to have crossed a line here, with respect to the major outlet which published this so openly in a headline. There must be bad blood behind the scenes somewhere, to just so brazenly and cravenly ruin the plot of a major upcoming film like that. I mean...it seems unprecedented? Can you imagine a January 2019 headline screaming...
    Iron Man dies, Captain America ends up an old man who spent his life with Peggy!

or a July 2019 one proclaiming...
    Rey's a Palpitine and Ben Solo dies!

"Brave" new world, indeed.

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    All the NTTD material on ebay have been removed...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    ggl007 wrote: »

I wonder, couldn’t this be because it’s real or fake? Does it being removed from eBay confirm either way?
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    It was always pretty unrealistic that with a whole movie already done there would be no leaks- for example I remember reading last Star Wars movie plot 5 months before the release. It's pretty amazing that they managed to hold on to those spoilers for so long.

Removed or just sold already?
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 38
    You'll also notice that the "Black Widow" call sheets were also taken down (unless they ended up being sold, not too sure when they were meant to end). I guess it's just a shame that the NTTD ones appear to have info in that shouldn't have been shared and the Marvel ones didn't. Would have been better the other way round!

Quite how someone dares to sell call sheets for an unreleased film I do not know. The first thing you do when you start a job is sign an NDA. By the way, nothing to do with this thread but quite how that person has got hold of several crew jackets and caps I do not know (they've sold several recently). Also I know for sure that the caps were dark blue and not black. Possibly printing them themselves to make money? I guess there's a chance the second unit caps were black but main unit ones were definitely navy blue.
    Who knows, maybe Gregg Wilson will innovate in EON's marketing to and engagement with fans. I see the potential but I'm not seeing the downside if they continue on their current path. I mean, its not as though the Craig era hasn't been the second most successful period in Bond history. Preceded by what was the second most successful period in Bond history under Brosnan.

Looking at it another way, Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson have overseen 25 years of unbroken box office gold. As a matter of circumstance, NTTD could also be the biggest grossing film of the year. It was already on course to put up a good fight for that spot even before COVID-19.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I wonder if there’s any chance that an end credits song would be added. There is precedent and it would be good exposure leading up to the release.
    Burgess wrote: »
    Who knows, maybe Gregg Wilson will innovate in EON's marketing to and engagement with fans. I see the potential but I'm not seeing the downside if they continue on their current path. I mean, its not as though the Craig era hasn't been the second most successful period in Bond history. Preceded by what was the second most successful period in Bond history under Brosnan.

Looking at it another way, Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson have overseen 25 years of unbroken box office gold. As a matter of circumstance, NTTD could also be the biggest grossing film of the year. It was already on course to put up a good fight for that spot even before COVID-19.

I heard from someone here that Gregg Wilson isn't the most resourceful producer. Though I have zero evidence to back this up just forum gossip. He does seem a bit meek and mealy-mouthed.

There's something about Barbara that just projects strength and confidence. I really don't think she needs a co-producer. I think the generally accepted truth these days is that Michael G. Wilson gets a credit and works on the film to some extents, but it's Barbara truly running the show. After all, MGW is 78.

I think Barbara's daughter is probably next in line to run the series eventually. She is a filmmaker and seems to have that same chutzpah as Barbara.

Angelica-Zollo_Talkhouse-Film.jpg

Personally.....I think Barbara does a Cubby and go solo.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @AgentM72 -- well said!

I will keep the following in a spoiler tag:
    These leaks sickened me and I assume that heads will roll since this won't be too hard to track down if this was a crew member-- hopefully they never work in the industry again. Everyone signs an NDA-- if they're caught, they're screwed. BUT... MORE IMPORTANTLY: my usual source has told me, yes, that was indeed a piss off, but supposedly, there is a bigger twist than that. My advice: from this point on, try and avoid any sources that want to spoil this for us. If you see a headline, do your best to move on from reading it. However, if this is true and there's an even bigger plot twist in this film, it just seems to be the Cary Fukunaga way: one twist leads to a bigger one, leads to a bigger one... For those looking forward to this film, I thought I should shine at least one positive ray onto this film!!
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 3,164

Biggest grossing film of the year where though? UK? Almost certainly. US? Tough fight, no way. Other countries? 50/50 chances of being up there with the likes of Black Widow, Fast 9 etc. Most likely it would be just below. That's before COVID of course.

@talos7 I don't think so, since the film is done (by Fukunaga's admission) and rated (by the MPAA in the US) already. Maybe they cook something fresh up for the marketing but wouldn't count on them going back in there and unpacking things and spending $$$ to slot another song in . Will it be worth it?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited June 2020 Posts: 3,018

Removed or just sold already?

Guessing EON & co went after him

BTW: I have every single call sheet he uploaded if anybody cares
    peter wrote: »
    @AgentM72 -- well said!

I will keep the following in a spoiler tag:
    These leaks sickened me and I assume that heads will roll since this won't be too hard to track down if this was a crew member-- hopefully they never work in the industry again. Everyone signs an NDA-- if they're caught, they're screwed. BUT... MORE IMPORTANTLY: my usual source has told me, yes, that was indeed a piss off, but supposedly, there is a bigger twist than that. My advice: from this point on, try and avoid any sources that want to spoil this for us. If you see a headline, do your best to move on from reading it. However, if this is true and there's an even bigger plot twist in this film, it just seems to be the Cary Fukunaga way: one twist leads to a bigger one, leads to a bigger one... For those looking forward to this film, I thought I should shine at least one positive ray onto this film!!

Intriguing....
    Perhaps it is revealed after the child is thought to be Bond’s that it is in fact a clone child of Madeleine. Or, what if Mathilde is actually Madeleine and Safin’s child? A lot of ways it could go. I’m definitely thinking there is something to the cloning rumors, and I could easily imagine some kind of double twist with the child, like how in Blade Runner 2049 K was and then wasn’t the special child.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Whatever happens I just hope that people will respect those who choose to stay in the dark and respect EON as a whole; there’s a reason those call sheets were removed, and if we want to be respected as fans, as some of you are asking for, maybe we should try the same with them?

Also, I just hope that if you were one of those to read the call sheets, your complaints about the film following its release are not that there weren’t any surprises.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,599
    Even though the call sheets have been taken off sale, they are still available to read via the "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." page. A look at the seller's history will give some clues re connection with the industry.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Can someone change the title. Call sheets and shot descriptions aren’t minor spoilers.

Biggest grossing film of the year where though? UK? Almost certainly. US? Tough fight, no way. Other countries? 50/50 chances of being up there with the likes of Black Widow, Fast 9 etc. Most likely it would be just below. That's before COVID of course.

@talos7 I don't think so, since the film is done (by Fukunaga's admission) and rated (by the MPAA in the US) already. Maybe they cook something fresh up for the marketing but wouldn't count on them going back in there and unpacking things and spending $$$ to slot another song in . Will it be worth it?

I was talking about WW. I think Bond would give BW and FF9 a run for their money Western Europe. Looking at the Box Office take for the last couple FF movies in US, NTTD certainly had a shot at out grossing FF9 in the US.
    Whatever happens I just hope that people will respect those who choose to stay in the dark and respect EON as a whole; there’s a reason those call sheets were removed, and if we want to be respected as fans, as some of you are asking for, maybe we should try the same with them?

Also, I just hope that if you were one of those to read the call sheets, your complaints about the film following its release are not that there weren’t any surprises.

I’ll openly admit I’ve lost my patience waiting for this film after everything, so spoilers don’t bother me at this point. We still don’t even know for sure if it will release in November as scheduled. It is a pity that everything could have been kept secret if it had been able to make its third release date.

For those who want to stay unspoiled though, I wish everyone would respect that and put anything major in spoiler tags.
    FoxRox wrote: »

I’ll openly admit I’ve lost my patience waiting for this film after everything, so spoilers don’t bother me at this point. We still don’t even know for sure if it will release in November as scheduled. It is a pity that everything could have been kept secret if it had been able to make its third release date.

For those who want to stay unspoiled though, I wish everyone would respect that and put anything major in spoiler tags.

My feelings exactly, @FoxRox.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,834

Yeah I can understand that.

EDIT: I’m just very aware of how the blame of spoilers will quickly be turned on EON, when in reality, it’s because of the people who dig for it, or by the people reporting it so I just hope it’s taken into consideration when they see the film.

We all know how the reviews will say it lacked surprises after they read every call sheet.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    Univex wrote: »

My feelings exactly, @FoxRox.

completely in agreement. I'm fine with spoilers, but it doesn't mean everyone is, so out of respect use spoilers.