No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited June 2020 Posts: 6,677
    delfloria wrote: »
    Wow. After all this I could really use a sequel to "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." to scratch my 60's type spy itch right about now.

Really wish there would be a U.N.C.L.E. sequel. Love that film.

+1
    I think this is the last Bond film produced by EoN. I get the impression they wanted to throw everything at it. It seems huge in scope, brave, and a breed apart from the likes of Tomorrow Never Dies.
    I'm up for very progressive storytelling. SPECTRE suffered from a lack of passion and vision. No Time To Die seems full of energy, passion and inventiveness. Bring it on.

A year ago I'd say I wouldn't believe that, specially because I've heard Gregg Wilson was being groomed to take over, and this from a very reliable source. But now, post covid, I actually think this could be a reality. Good, bad, who knows? If this brought in a high level produced period series adapted from IF's pages, along with a new film with someone like Villeneuve attached and new writers, I'd be so up for it. But if this brought in a series of spinoffs and political correct family films akin to what they did with SW, I'd be off with a "good riddance". If EON does keep it in the family, I'll be one happy fan, I tell you that. So 2 for 3, for me. I'd say those are good odds ;)

PS: I know those aren't the only possible scenarios.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I feel sorry for you guys honestly, if the forums have such a detrimental effect on your excitement for the next Bond film, then why come here? Or is it other places you're learning about all these "dire" NTTD revelations?
    I come here because it feeds my excitement / general love of Bond. :P

So do I, and to discuss the films with knowledgeable fans. That's fair, isn't it? I am discussing NTTD on the NTTD thread, and the relevant topics on the other threads. I though that was how it worked? It's not the threads that are having a detrimental effect on my excitement for the next one, either.

That's fair enough. It just feels sometimes that people get off on telling everyone how unexcited they are, how awful NTTD is going to be, etc. The self pity here sometimes reaches masturbatory levels.

When people mass debate, that is unavoidable.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    100% on The Man from U.N.C.L.E needing a sequel. Love that film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Denbigh wrote: »

I did too. It made me wish/hope that with the reboot, EON would drop Bond in the 50s/60s Cold War and leave him there. I actually think he could be of greater service, in reflecting on our own times, by being in that time.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    TripAces wrote: »

I did too. It made me wish/hope that with the reboot, EON would drop Bond in the 50s/60s Cold War and leave him there. I actually think he could be of greater service, in reflecting on our own times, by being in that time.

Exactly!!!!! +100
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Exactly!!!!! +100
    +1000
    Plus, having a period piece come together every two odd years, would be easier to the production crew and overall budget. Dressing up streets and folk as the 50s is not that difficult. And the recurrence would help, I think. Plus, the cool factor would rocket. And Bond could smoke and be a womaniser again (yes, do shoot me. I firmly believe that's the right way to criticise misogyny and filthy smoking habits. By showing it and not censoring it to a point one hardly believes it exists. Denial is, after all, just a river in Africa).
    Univex wrote: »

Exactly!!!!! +100
    +1000
    Plus, having a period piece come together every two odd years, would be easier to the production crew and overall budget. Dressing up streets and folk as the 50s is not that difficult. And the recurrence would help, I think. Plus, the cool factor would rocket. And Bond could smoke and be a womaniser again (yes, do shoot me. I firmly believe that's the right way to criticise misogyny and filthy smoking habits. By showing it and not censoring it to a point one hardly believes it exists. Denial is, after all, just a river in Africa).

Exactly!!! This would be Vintage Bond....EON can even bring back Bond's Bentley from the Books.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,876
    @Pierce2Daniel you need to put potential major spoilers, such as the Daily Mail one in spoiler tags. X( ~X(

Exactly!!!!! +100
    +1000

Exactly!!! This would be Vintage Bond....EON can even bring back Bond's Bentley from the Books.

The Blower 4 1/2 litre gunmetal Bentley. Now wouldn't that be something? Wrong thread for this, of course. But can you imagine the possibilities?

4_5_le_mans_sport_vanden_plas.jpg

Back on topic now ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Exactly!!!!! +100
    +1000

The Blower 4 1/2 litre gunmetal Bentley. Now wouldn't that be something? Wrong thread for this, of course. But can you imagine the possibilities?

Back on topic now ;)

Beautiful.

Exactly!!!!! +100
    +1000

Back on topic now ;)

Beautiful.

We should have a thread dedicated to bringing the novels into reality, by way of pics, of course. Classic Bond or something. This was made by someone called Ibrahim Moustafa, a cartoonist living in Portland, and I've found it on a blog regarding the literary Bond. I know many people here want James Bond to evolve and be an all together different thing, but this is my James Bond.

James%2BBond%2BBently%2Bby%2BIbrahim%2BMoustafa.jpg

A thousand pardons for posting these here, but I'm sure someone will get this thread back on track in no time ;)
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Hasn't Ibrahim illustrated some of the Dynamite comics? Or the covers at least?

EDIT: After a bit of searching, evidently not.

Have you seen Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond? It was a miniseries, Dominic Cooper played Fleming and it was a period piece, maybe showing what a Bond series set in the 60's might look like?

Exactly!!!!! +100
    +1000

Back on topic now ;)

Beautiful.

We should have a thread dedicated to bringing the novels into reality, by way of pics, of course. Classic Bond or something. This was made by someone called Ibrahim Moustafa, a cartoonist living in Portland, and I've found it on a blog regarding the literary Bond. I know many people here want James Bond to evolve and be an all together different thing, but this is my James Bond.

James%2BBond%2BBently%2Bby%2BIbrahim%2BMoustafa.jpg

A thousand pardons for posting these here, but I'm sure someone will get this thread back on track in no time ;)

Cool! Love this, it's really a dreamy prospect that I would like to come into fruition....it doesn't get classier than this. Even if it's once in a lifetime in the franchise, 6 Bond films or a Bond actor's entire era can be made based on this period, before coming back to the present. So whenever we feel like viewing 'Period Bond', we watch them.
    There's some stuff in Westworld, in the latest season, that takes place in an era similar to classic Bond, and shows that the right team could probably do something cool.

Some Mild Westworld Spoilers (although they wouldn't be the worst crime in this thread, lol):
    westworld-season-3-thandie-newton-rodrigo-santoro.jpg
    In this storyline, the two characters are both British spies.
    960x0.jpg?fit=scale
    Rodrigo Santoro, Brazil.

And this is Chris Nolan's brother... ;)
    Have you seen Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond? It was a miniseries, Dominic Cooper played Fleming and it was a period piece, maybe showing what a Bond series set in the 60's might look like?

I saw it. A bit poorly produced and casted. Cooper doesn't remotely look like Fleming. Upsides, Lara Pulver, Goldeneye, and some odd scenes. Still, up on the cool factor. Of course many streaming studios now have bigger budgets and actors on their portfolios ;) EON should branch out to streaming while they keep doing their bigger films. A two in one with no spinoffs, just a period straight adaptation, plus the cinematic Bond.

I saw it. A bit poorly produced and casted. Cooper doesn't remotely look like Fleming. Upsides, Lara Pulver, Goldeneye, and some odd scenes. Still, up on the cool factor. Of course many streaming studios now have bigger budgets and actors on their portfolios ;) EON should branch out to streaming while they keep doing their bigger films. A two in one with no spinoffs, just a period straight adaptation, plus the cinematic Bond.

Yeah I've heard it wasn't great. They probably weren't too concerned with making the lead look like Fleming (probably more interested in making him look like Bond, lol).
    Still want to finish watching it at some point.
    Yeah, I lost interest when Dominic Cooper was cast, Great actor....but he doesn't look like Fleming & he looked a bit modern in the show.
    lol you guys...
    There's some stuff in Westworld, in the latest season, that takes place in an era similar to classic Bond, and shows that the right team could probably do something cool.

Some Mild Westworld Spoilers (although they wouldn't be the worst crime in this thread, lol):
    westworld-season-3-thandie-newton-rodrigo-santoro.jpg
    In this storyline, the two characters are both British spies.
    960x0.jpg?fit=scale
    Rodrigo Santoro, Brazil.

And this is Chris Nolan's brother... ;)

Jonathan Nolan as a writer would be cool, yeah.
    lol you guys...

Sheer Bondian Delirium :D
    lol you guys...

Sheer Bondian Delirium :D

Comme il faut ;)
  • I am intrigued by this new character Mathilda. Do we think maybe she is named after Mathis? if not, why the unique spelling?

Exactly!!!!! +100
    +1000

Well guess what. It's even LESS difficult to "dress up streets and folk" as modern day, and even that seems to be beyond the current powers that be at Eon. At this rate NTTD will be a genuine period piece by the time it comes out.

Period pieces are far more expensive than contemporary films and James Bond has always been a contemporary character. Can we move on from this miserably bad idea please.

Speaking of miserably bad ideas... Mathilda. Could they have at least chosen a name that the ESL Bond fans who post on forums can spell? I've already suffered through 5 years of people calling Madeleine Swan "Maddie", I can't handle another 5 of "Mattie" or whatever it turns out to be.

Bond is a wish fulfillment character. Nobody wants to see him die, or drag a 5 year old to Lollipop's Playland for a birthday bash. Purvis and Wade need to go. Yesterday.

LOL, sorry for such a full on first post, I have a lot to get off my chest! Deep breaths... calm down.... and good to be here! Fan of the forums, great source of info... even if it is sometimes not what we want to hear...
    Isn't Mathilde french? Would make sense given her mother.

Whatever happens in this story, you're never going to see Bond "drag a 5 year old to Lollipop's Playland for a birthday bash", are you.

Seems like there's been an influx of new members who come here to moan about all the awful things going on in the new Bond film, despite really having nothing confirmed about it. Maybe it's the minority, but it seems like the forums have become a very negative place lately.

Whatever happens in this story, you're never going to see Bond "drag a 5 year old to Lollipop's Playland for a birthday bash", are you.

Seems like there's been an influx of new members who come here to moan about all the awful things going on in the new Bond film, despite really having nothing confirmed about it. Maybe it's the minority, but it seems like the forums have become a very negative place lately.

Yep. People really are overacting. It's not as it's
    James Bond Jr
    , is it?

MV5BMTQ2NjkzNTA1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzM1Mjg4NA@@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
  • Isn't Mathilde french? Would make sense given her mother.

I can't speak for others, but for my part it comes from boredom - I was expecting a new film to analyse by now, not a lockdown and another 7 month delay! I am finding it hard to sit idly by, waiting for any news - any - and then this comes along. Idle hands make mischief... :)

I think a show from Eon that planning is underway for Bond 26 would go a long way towards rebuilding some much needed trust between loyal fans who have, quite frankly, really been treated like dirt for five years now. Not another "Focus of the Week' from their social media channels just reposting images of Rory Kinnear or something.
    I can certainly sympathize with the disappointment that we don't have NTTD yet! It's been a very long wait.

I'm sorry, but I sincerely believe fans have not been treated like dirt. Fans of Bond aren't entitled to anything. They make the films, we enjoy them. The only reason they'd delay the film is so that it is financially successful, and thusly we get more of them in the future. This attitude of entitlement has to go. I'd love some show of progress from EoN as much as the next girl, but I certainly would never feel like I'm being treated like dirt for not getting it (I'm not a girl, but I can't ever pass up an opportunity to quote GE).

Sorry to get into it with you straight away! But I suppose all this makes for good discussion. And welcome to the forums.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Planning for Bond 26 will only be underway, at least, after No Time to Die is released - no sooner.
  • Isn't Mathilde french? Would make sense given her mother.

Could they not have chosen a French name that isn't so similar to Madeline? Maddie? Mattie? This is basic franchise-building. Why not Claudine, as a tribute to fallen Thunderball actress and perennial favourite Caludine Auger?

Could they not have chosen a French name that isn't so similar to Madeline? Maddie? Mattie? This is basic franchise-building. Why not Claudine, as a tribute to fallen Thunderball actress and perennial favourite Caludine Auger?

Basic franchise building? I must have missed that Masterclass. ;)
    Both Claudine and Madeleine end with the same three letters!

To b fair MI6 is a fairly negative outfit. Remember the tweet bemoaning that Bond visits Vesper's grave? I got blocked on Twitter for suggesting, very early on in the pandemic (heck before it was a pandemic) that NTTD should still open. Childish really.