How Much for NTTD to have it now?

124»

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    The cinema has been open here for a while, too. People didn t die.

Impossible to know how it affected the transmission of the disease. Not engaging in this anymore; impossible to have a discussion with someone who arbitrarily decides what science to believe and what science to dismiss.
  • Regardless of your opinions on vaccinations or even if they do anything or not, theatres won’t reopen until there is one, and NTTD won’t release until theatres are open. Ergo, NTTD won’t release until there’s a vaccine.

Um, do you realise that if cinemas were to stay closed until a vaccine is created and distributed (which could easily take a year or two from now at this rate), then some of them might go out of business and thus be unable to reopen?
    Regardless of your opinions on vaccinations or even if they do anything or not, theatres won’t reopen until there is one, and NTTD won’t release until theatres are open. Ergo, NTTD won’t release until there’s a vaccine.

Um, do you realise that if cinemas were to stay closed until a vaccine is created and distributed (which could easily take a year or two from now at this rate), then some of them might go out of business and thus be unable to reopen?

Yep and that’s the reality many are facing, like AMC.
    If they don’t wait until a vaccine, they’ll have to reopen at vastly reduced seating, which will murder box office take just as much as streaming the film.
    There’s a virus killing hundreds of thousands of people worldwide; there are more important things than movies and theatres at the moment.
    Regardless of your opinions on vaccinations or even if they do anything or not, theatres won’t reopen until there is one, and NTTD won’t release until theatres are open. Ergo, NTTD won’t release until there’s a vaccine.

If they don’t wait until a vaccine, they’ll have to reopen at vastly reduced seating, which will murder box office take just as much as streaming the film.
    There’s a virus killing hundreds of thousands of people worldwide; there are more important things than movies and theatres at the moment.

Which is basically what's happening and will happen...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    If they judge it as being safe enough to go to the cinema now, they may as well open. I won't be there, but if there's enough of a reduction in numbers in whatever area to justify it then go for it. I do wonder about next month though - how will having a monopoly on screens effect Tenet's take? It'll be interesting to see.
    antovolk wrote: »

Fair enough, hasn’t happened here yet but i suppose it will. Still seems like a poor move financially to release a film given reduced seating.
  • If they judge it as being safe enough to go to the cinema now, they may as well open. I won't be there, but if there's enough of a reduction in numbers in whatever area to justify it then go for it. I do wonder about next month though - how will having a monopoly on screens effect Tenet's take? It'll be interesting to see.

I agree with you. The lockdown hasn't affected me that much luckily in the UK (I've actually had more regular exercise during this period) but the thing I have missed the most (apart from occasionally seeing old school friends) is the cinema. I don't care about sports matches, music festivals or going to the pub - they could all stay closed as far I'm concerned. The only thing that matters to me to the moment is the cinema. I've obeyed this lockdown rigidly since it started and I feel I (and most people) deserve an occasional afternoon or evening at the cinema.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 3,164

Fair enough, hasn’t happened here yet but i suppose it will. Still seems like a poor move financially to release a film given reduced seating.

The issue at hand is that if cinemas remain closed until audience confidence returns and reduced seating isn't needed, many may go out of business. AMC (owners of Odeon here in the UK) and Cineworld (owner of Regal and Cineplex in North America) have both come close to bankruptcy as a result of the pandemic. That's why the entire industry is so desperate for things to reopen next month and Tenet to still come out.

A few articles explaining the situation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/14/christopher-nolan-tenet-reopening/

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/05/hollywoods-life-or-death-or-summer

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-05-22/chris-nolan-tenet-delayed-by-warner-bros-the-movie-was-supposed-to-kick-start-theaters
  • The cinema has been open here for a while, too. People didn t die.

Patience, Thundy. Give them time. The Second Wave is already under way. Check out your history, the Second Wave of the "Spanish" Flu was far deadlier than the First.
  • antovolk wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised to see ticket prices rise significantly for theaters with reduced seating.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526

I wouldn't be surprised to see ticket prices rise significantly for theaters with reduced seating.

I could see that, but then you’d have 50% capacity, and 50% of that may not want to spend the additional money... if you can’t even sell out 50% it just seems like they’re shooting themselves in the foot either way. But who knows.

But yeah, if half the moviegoing public don’t want to pay inflated prices, and there aren’t seats for them anyways... it could work. Every theatre becomes a VIP theatre experience. ;)
  • I would pay quite a lot at this point just to have the release date remain in November, never mind having it now.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    echo wrote: »
    OOWolf wrote: »
    B. Broccoli was asked about releasing Bond on VOD in the future. Her response was that it's all about what the fans want. First of all, the fans never asked for a Bond film to have a 250 mil budget, only that it's about the execution of a good story. Second, I guarantee that many of us would have taken a recasting after 'Spectre' than waiting over 2 years for Daniel Craig to make up his mind. Everyone on the film has been paid, and if EON care about their audience, they'll find a way to release the film sooner than later. Taken the situation, they wouldn't be happy with breaking even by doing a VOD release, yet they're starting to hopefully realize that the 1 billion mark may be a dream in this very uncertain time.

I wouldn't.

Me neither.

Nor I.

That'll make 4 of us.