• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Murdock wrote: »
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    My pick.
    yOZEk9J.gif

He can't act though.

Yeah he can.

I think I personally need to see some more of his work.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My pick.
    yOZEk9J.gif

He can't act though.

Yeah he can.

As terrible as I thought the film was. I thought he was pretty good in Justice League. He had charm and charisma. He could pull off Bond now. He was wooden years ago but he's gotten better as an actor. He's the right age and can knock it out of the park.
    My pick.
    yOZEk9J.gif

He can't act though.

Yeah he can.

As terrible as I thought the film was. I thought he was pretty good in Justice League. He had charm and charisma. He could pull off Bond now. He was wooden years ago but he's gotten better as an actor. He's the right age and can knock it out of the park.

Oh, I actually thought you were referring to Dornan. ;) Yeah, I like Cavill, liked him a lot in Fallout, like him a lot as Superman (thought Man of Steel was great). Not seen him in much else though.

Dornan, I've not seen much of at all, and what I have seen him in, he's been terrible (material notwithstanding). Others here have said he's good, so I feel like I should give him another shot.
    But then I think, he'll very likely never be Bond, so why bother.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Henry Cavill is a good actor. I particularly liked him in The Man from UNCLE and MI: Fallout.

Will he be James Bond? Unfortunately not. That ship has sailed I think. Plus, he's Superman and The Witcher.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Henry Cavill is a good actor. I particularly liked him in The Man from UNCLE and MI: Fallout.

Will he be James Bond? Unfortunately not. That ship has sailed I think. Plus, he's Superman and The Witcher.

Yes. And Dornan is Christian Gray, and Pattinson is Batman. I think it's safe to say none of the people discussed will be Bond, but still fun to think about how they'd fit in the tux.

I've said it before but I still think Cavill would have been a better Gustav Graves than Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Yes. And Dornan is Christian Gray, and Pattinson is Batman. I think it's safe to say none of the people discussed will be Bond, but still fun to think about how they'd fit in the tux.

I've said it before but I still think Cavill would have been a better Gustav Graves than Bond.
    I think Jamie Dornan, while not my preferred choice, isn't held back too much by those films as it's not a franchise he's currently still working on, and those films never resonated with anyone to the point they wouldn't see him as anyone else.

Cavill is in that position, with The Witcher being something different for Cavill to sink his teeth into, whereas being 007 wouldn't be that. As for Pattinson, yeah he's out, frustratingly so, but with his success as Batman looking quite promising, he's gonna be busy with one franchise for a while I think.
    I agree with you that Dornan's involvement in the Fifty Shades franchise alone wouldn't necessarily rule him out. His performance in it should, but again maybe he's been better elsewhere.
    But there are so many other, better actors to choose from I'd think.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    My problem with Cavill is that I can always sense that he’s “Acting” , even in Fallout.
    Dornan isn't THAT bad. I mean, he did a tv show I can't remember where he played someone I can't remember, a psychopath, I think he was rather good in that, but I can't remember.

See what I mean? ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Univex wrote: »
    Dornan isn't THAT bad. I mean, he did a tv show I can't remember where he played someone I can't remember, a psychopath, I think he was rather good in that, but I can't remember.

See what I mean? ;)

In this case, no not really! ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Ok, new suggestion. Haven't seen this guy in anything since Skins, but found him again, and at 27 years old, he's looking pretty cool already, and I'd be interested to see where he's at in a few years, and I would actually consider him.

Sean Teale. Currently 27. London. 6'1'.

1488333149-teal2.jpg

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Not bad. Looks like a young Connery.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    He's a good looking dude.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,318
    He looks good in the photo. In the video he looks quite Italian or even Indian, which is a no no for Bond in my book. But I'm open to him somewhat, nonetheless.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,016
    talos7 wrote: »
    My problem with Cavill is that I can always sense that he’s “Acting” , even in Fallout.

Yes I know what you mean: there is a bit of an artifice there. He's better in Fallout than I've ever seen him but, yeah.. I can feel him pretending.

The opening scene of Justice League is infamous for his CG upper lip, but if it weren't I think his 'smell the fart' acting when Superman is trying to think of an answer to the child's question would make it equally infamous.
    Univex wrote: »

See what I mean? ;)

Yes: The Fall. I've been meaning to catch up on that at some point: everyone said it was very good.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131
    My pick.
    yOZEk9J.gif

He can't act though.

Yeah he can.

I’m not massively keen on him for Bond.

But ‘The Tudors’, ‘The Man From Uncle’ and ‘Man of Steel’ all show he has the charisma of a leading man. Not a brilliant actor, but by no means wooden.

Dornan on the other hand would be brilliant as an aftershave model etc. But as soon as he ‘reads’ lines, you see the lack of acting ability. Fifty shades is just awful and worse still because of his wooden performance.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    He looks good in the photo. In the video he looks quite Italian or even Indian, which is a no no for Bond in my book. But I'm open to him somewhat, nonetheless.
    He has Venezuelan, Spanish and Welsh hertiage but from that interview alone offers so much Britishness and quite suavely so, that I think he could still portray the James Bond we want and expect.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I watched the Marvel show The Gifted where he was one of the leads, and he was neither bad nor good. Much like Luke Pasqualino, he's the right height and good looking (and I like him well enough in things I've seen), but the fact he is vaguely non-white means he would probably fall between two stools as far as racial politics go: not white enough for traditionalists, but not black enough to make it look like a brave decision on the part of the producers. I could be totally wrong though; perhaps he's the perfect compromise for most parties?

I really like him in interviews, where he is more charming and charismatic than he's actually been on screen. I certainly like him more than a few of the popular candidates (I don't like Richard Madden for starters), but again, I think he lacks a cv that shouts 'serious actor', and he'd need at least one film role of that type with a bit of buzz about it to fit in with Eon's current pretensions.

Not a bad suggestion, though. Certainly great in the interview.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I watched the Marvel show The Gifted where he was one of the leads, and he was neither bad nor good. Much like Luke Pasqualino, he's the right height and good looking (and I like him well enough in things I've seen), but the fact he is vaguely non-white means he would probably fall between two stools as far as racial politics go: not white enough for traditionalists, but not black enough to make it look like a brave decision on the part of the producers. I could be totally wrong though; perhaps he's the perfect compromise for most parties?

I really like him in interviews, where he is more charming and charismatic than he's actually been on screen. I certainly like him more than a few of the popular candidates (I don't like Richard Madden for starters), but again, I think he lacks a cv that shouts 'serious actor', and he'd need at least one film role of that type with a bit of buzz about it to fit in with Eon's current pretensions.

Some good comments @sandbagger1 I agree about The Gifted. I've seen clips, and I think that was always his American accent that let him down. It wasn't a bad accent, just sometimes I think it can strip something away from naturally British actors sometimes.

And yeah haha, he definitely needs more films under his belt, but he definitely has the time to do so before EON start their search I think. It's interesting as well as he's one of the youngest suggestions, which could easily work in his favour as he already seems to be perfect for the role :D It's also a dream of his apparently:
    "I don’t know many boys that grew up not wanting to be James Bond - as unrealistic as that ‘dream’ may be."

https://www.abookof.us/openbook/sean-teale
    He has Venezuelan, Spanish and Welsh hertiage but from that interview alone offers so much Britishness and quite suavely so, that I think he could still portray the James Bond we want and expect.

A James Bond you might want and expect. Which is fair enough.

But for me, again, this actor is the equivalent of Colin Firth etc playing Michael Corleone (looks wise).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Spaniards are considered black now? Thanks for the information.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Maybe Barbara & Michael used the Lockdown to watch performances of Young, Up & Coming British actors in their Early 30s and have already had their sights set on someone, ahead of the Screentest.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    suavejmf wrote: »

But for me, again, this actor is the equivalent of Colin Firth etc playing Michael Corleone (looks wise).

Well if you really want an actor to portray the exact word of Fleming (and we know how vital it is to you to get every aspect of Army Commander Bond perfectly correct ;) ) you'll see he often describes Bond as having dark or even foreign looks.
    It's also a very poor comparison: Corleone is defined by his family and his roots, Bond really isn't. So much so that Fleming only added details of them halfway through, so irrelevant it is to him as a person. All you know to know about Bond's upbringing which is relevant to him as an adult is that he grew up all around the world and then lost his parents.

Now would be a very odd time to pick fights about race so maybe you should steer clear of that subject.
    mtm wrote: »

Well if you really want an actor to portray the exact word of Fleming (and we know how vital it is to you to get every aspect of Army Commander Bond perfectly correct ;) ) you'll see he often describes Bond as having dark or even foreign looks.
    Now would be a very odd time to pick fights about race so maybe you should steer clear of that subject.

Yawn....Thanks for your usual rude response. It is you who picks fights, I just make comments on a forum where everyone is free to agree or disagree as they like.

I’ll comment as I see fit on the forum thank you, as long as it remains polite and respectful.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Maybe Barbara & Michael used the Lockdown to watch performances of Young, Up & Coming British actors in their Early 30s and have already had their sights set on someone, ahead of the Screentest.

Seems like a very sensible approach.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

I hummed and hawed about the term to use before settling on "not black enough". I really wasn't trying to offend anyone.

I hummed and hawed about the term to use before settling on "not black enough". I really wasn't trying to offend anyone.

If producers really do cast an actor just to be different/ to make a statement etc. That in itself would be wrong.

Idris Elba apparently said himself (if he were cast), he wouldn’t want to be seen as ‘the black James Bond’.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yawn....Thanks for your usual rude response. It is you who picks fights, I just make comments on a forum where everyone is free to agree or disagree as they like.

I’ll comment as I see fit on the forum thank you, as long as it remains polite and respectful.

There was nothing impolite about my post, please discuss the subject rather than the person- as you said, I'm free to disagree. You had to ignore my point about Fleming's description I notice. As I explained, it's not really comparable to Michael Corleone.

There was nothing impolite about my post, please discuss the subject rather than the person- as you said, I'm free to disagree. You had to ignore my point about Fleming's description I notice. As I explained, it's not really comparable to Michael Corleone.

🤣.

Yes it is, Micheal Corleone is a character in a book and film just like Bond. He is an Italian American character portrayed by an Italian American actor. I was saying you wouldn’t have an actor portray him who doesn’t look Italian. Just as you wouldn’t have an Italian Bond. Dark yes, but not blatantly Italian. That’s my opinion. It’s not right or wrong.

I’m free to voice an opinion as well. 👍 You don’t agree.....brilliant. 👏