Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think Evans is mostly focusing on his singing career at this point?

He sings? I didn't know that!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,054
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    If age wasn't an issue, I'd rather have Evans in the role, who is 41.

Hey, the picture is the first one you get when you google the guy. Whatcanyado?

22961042-0-image-a-32_1578078337500.jpg

2331a5e9ec24670fe74ef62e03605534.jpg

page_1.jpg

Evans is the only non-Bond actor I've pictured when reading Bond novels. Easily my favourite for the role, but shame about the age.

Absolutely. If only they'd drop this "young hero" fashion thing Hollywood has going on since 2005's Batman... And started doing Bond films with a seasoned agent. Three films per actor. I'd be fine with that. Standalone adventures on a single geography and culture, with a single very well defined theme. Bond as lone agent sent to investigate. Oh, one can dream.

I wasn't sure on Evans until I saw him in No One Lives. He, quite literally, killed it there. Absolutely believable as a charming killer. A cool, calculating posterior masking a ticking timebomb underneath. He'd be great.

Ah okay, I need to see that then. I've not seen be good in anything yet but if he's good in that then fair enough.

Really? I've always thought he was pretty good in most things. Maybe in need of a new agent to help pick better projects, for sure - there's not too many, if any, films on his resumé that one could label as excellent - but rarely bad himself.

Yeah maybe that's it: I can't remember seeing him in anything that's very impressive and I guess that means he doesn't get much to do usually.

You can, and they have. But I do think there is a tendency to want to show a character developing and learning in some way, and Bond getting the job is a natural story to tell to do that. But then they have gone down that route so I'm not sure they will do it again, unless they can think of a totally different and interesting way of doing it. And if they can then fair enough.

Yes, I certainly think they'll try and show a "new side" to the character with every iteration, and the next will be no different. It likely won't be as radical as Craig, but it'll still be present throughout the films so audiences can develop an attachment with that particular actor.

I'm sure that's right: for example we were talking about Tom Hardy on the previous page and regardless of age concerns I think he would just be too much of a 'Craig type' to come right after him- you need a bit of contrast to make it look like you're not just missing the previous guy. And in a way I wonder if the job of recasting doesn't get harder as the years go by: Craig is a top class actor and you really do need another one of those to come up with a fresh spin on it to make it work- just getting some pretty bloke isn't enough.
    I'd say what they did with Affleck as Batman could be an interesting way to go: finally the slightly ageing, grey-haired Batman of the comics, but that's where Craig is now. So maybe young and fresh is the contrast to that. Don't forget: to anyone who's turning 30 this year Craig has been Bond for all of their adult life- a new young fresh Bond would actually be quite a radical thing.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869

page_1.jpg

Evans is the only non-Bond actor I've pictured when reading Bond novels. Easily my favourite for the role, but shame about the age.

Absolutely. If only they'd drop this "young hero" fashion thing Hollywood has going on since 2005's Batman... And started doing Bond films with a seasoned agent. Three films per actor. I'd be fine with that. Standalone adventures on a single geography and culture, with a single very well defined theme. Bond as lone agent sent to investigate. Oh, one can dream.

I wasn't sure on Evans until I saw him in No One Lives. He, quite literally, killed it there. Absolutely believable as a charming killer. A cool, calculating posterior masking a ticking timebomb underneath. He'd be great.

Ah okay, I need to see that then. I've not seen be good in anything yet but if he's good in that then fair enough.

Really? I've always thought he was pretty good in most things. Maybe in need of a new agent to help pick better projects, for sure - there's not too many, if any, films on his resumé that one could label as excellent - but rarely bad himself.

Yeah maybe that's it: I can't remember seeing him in anything that's very impressive and I guess that means he doesn't get much to do usually.

You can, and they have. But I do think there is a tendency to want to show a character developing and learning in some way, and Bond getting the job is a natural story to tell to do that. But then they have gone down that route so I'm not sure they will do it again, unless they can think of a totally different and interesting way of doing it. And if they can then fair enough.

Yes, I certainly think they'll try and show a "new side" to the character with every iteration, and the next will be no different. It likely won't be as radical as Craig, but it'll still be present throughout the films so audiences can develop an attachment with that particular actor.

So maybe young and fresh is the contrast to that. Don't forget: to anyone who's turning 30 this year Craig has been Bond for all of their adult life- a new young fresh Bond would actually be quite a radical thing.
    Like I've said before, if The Batman is a big success with Robert Pattinson, I wouldn't put it past EON to go with a similar casting choice, and direction, which is a non-origin story with a "younger" actor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »

page_1.jpg

So maybe young and fresh is the contrast to that. Don't forget: to anyone who's turning 30 this year Craig has been Bond for all of their adult life- a new young fresh Bond would actually be quite a radical thing.
    Like I've said before, if The Batman is a big success with Robert Pattinson, I wouldn't put it past EON to go with a similar casting choice, and direction, which is a non-origin story with a "younger" actor.

Well he's two years older than Connery was when he started, so he's not exactly a baby. His is the sort of age I'd be amazed if they didn't aim for: they will want a decent run out of their new guy.
    I think you're right, a non-origin story is equally likely- maybe they'll even go the GoldenEye route and have a quick flashback if they feel the need to establish anything.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

page_1.jpg

Well he's two years older than Connery was when he started, so he's not exactly a baby. His is the sort of age I'd be amazed if they didn't aim for: they will want a decent run out of their new guy.
    I think you're right, a non-origin story is equally likely- maybe they'll even go the GoldenEye route and have a quick flashback if they feel the need to establish anything.
    Oh yeah; although I think Connery definitely looked older so never seemed like a younger choice; Pattinson does, and I should say I'm incredibly excited for his portrayal and the film they seem to be making. But yeah, I think the origin story thing was just a product of its time; and I believe we're very much moving past that.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

page_1.jpg

This bodes well for the other Batman finalist, Hoult. I definitely see him more as Bond than Batman.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    talos7 wrote: »

page_1.jpg

This bodes well for the other Batman finalist, Hoult. I definitely see him more as Bond than Batman.
    Definitely, and even more so now that he's not going to be in the Mission Impossible franchise - although he's not really one of my top choices.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I guess it's because I've only seen him in Fury Road and X Men, but I have a really hard time seeing what others do in Hoult, for Bond. He's an even worse fit than Dornan, IMO.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I guess it's because I've only seen him in Fury Road and X Men, but I have a really hard time seeing what others do in Hoult, for Bond. He's an even worse fit than Dornan, IMO.

This
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I haven't seen him play a Bond-type role, but I have seen him be quite impressive in most roles he's done and he's been really quite varied about his choices, so that makes him an interesting proposition to me.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

I think it's because we can see from looking at the range of roles he's played that he's shaping up to be an actor's actor. He's got much more credibility acting-wise than most of the suggested candidates. I don't honestly know if the role of James Bond actually requires top-notch acting skills, but I'm sure that Eon will want to stick to the idea that they hire only top-quality talent for the 007 films - it's been part of their marketing strategy since Casino Royale that they hire serious actors, and I don't see that changing. That's why I think that looking at a candidate's cv for varied roles and critical acclaim is going to be a better indicator of who is likely to get hired than, say, actual similarity to Fleming's vision.

Hoult has roughly the right physical qualities for the Fleming model, re good height, good looks, dark hair, middle/upper-class vibe, plus just enough youth to make him viable for several films. AND he has a string of roles that suggest he is a proper actor rather than just a heartthrob.

I'm sure even those of us who are in favour of him have some worries - he's good looking, but there is a gentleness to his looks that isn't Bond, and he looks kind of boyish. I think we're hoping that time and acting ability will give him a harder edge to both his looks and performance than what we've actually seen from him so far. But yeah... it's a worry. I do wonder if he lost out on Batman because he simply didn't have enough gravitas for the role.

Dornan's issue is that he's known for his sex-appeal and not for being a good actor. He might be capable of being a great Bond, but that 50 Shades thing leaps out at you, and nothing else does. Theo James is someone else who looks the part, but the Divergent films are the only things that leap out from his list of past roles, so I think he won't even get to the short list. Hoult actually has some character actor credibility in his past, and there are very few people with that that match the right age and range. Sam Claflin might have some chance as he was supposedly very good in The Nightingale.

But you never know. I wouldn't have guessed, back when Robert Pattinson went from Harry Potter to Twilight, that I'd actually be sorry that he wasn't free to try out for Bond. He made all that Twilight money, then spend the next few years getting very adventurous with the roles he took. Now he's got the kind of actor credibility that is in very short supply. I don't necessarily think he's actually better than all of the actors mentioned in his age-bracket, many of whom might have much more potential than what we've seen from them on screen, but he's stretched himself and built up a level of credibility that makes him seem like a catch. When Eon hire someone like that, it says that they're taking the films seriously. I think they're in love with the idea that they make serious films and they won't want to hire someone in the lead who doesn't fit in with their current image.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    wow-- very clear and well written thoughts @sandbagger1 . Nicely done and I agree, I think they will be looking for a certain pedigree for James Bond-- one that comes with, as you stated, a varied CV.

Hoult definitely checks off many boxes. I'm not sure it's gravitas that he lacks, but a certain edginess that may've lost him the Batman role. A few more years down the road, will he have a little more of this intangible? Doesn't need a lot, but just enough. If so, I'd be happy to see him as the new 007.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

peter wrote: »
    wow-- very clear and well written thoughts @sandbagger1 . Nicely done and I agree, I think they will be looking for a certain pedigree for James Bond-- one that comes with, as you stated, a varied CV.

Hoult definitely checks off many boxes. I'm not sure it's gravitas that he lacks, but a certain edginess that may've lost him the Batman role. A few more years down the road, will he have a little more of this intangible? Doesn't need a lot, but just enough. If so, I'd be happy to see him as the new 007.

As I’ve said, a traffic signal doesn’t have to be green when you’re a block away, only when you get to that intersection. 😉
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

As I’ve said, a traffic signal doesn’t have to be green when you’re a block away, only when you get to that intersection. 😉

ahaha, nice @talos7
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 727
    Robert Pattinson would make a fly James Bond. Pity that it won't happen. Alas he has been snagged by another big IP. Shame because he could've been Bond.
    Robert Pattinson would make a fly James Bond. Pity that it won't happen. Alas he has been banned by another big IP. Shame because he could've been Bond.

I’m starting to agree that Pattinson would have been cool. He’s really seemed to have shaken off his twilight roots.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Robert Pattinson would make a fly James Bond. Pity that it won't happen. Alas he has been snagged by another big IP. Shame because he could've been Bond.

Yes, I think that's true.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Callum would be a good second choice instead of Pattinson ;) Turner was actually quoted saying he’d like to play Pattinson’s Joker, although I say give him the 00 number.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Callum would be a good second choice instead of Pattinson ;)

This guy???
    gollum.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    This guy???
    Well I'd prefer this guy to Hiddleston or Elba :)

This guy???
    gollum.jpg

Bond 26 won’t be for awhile, Give him a few years. ;)

This guy???
    gollum.jpg

Bond 26 won’t be for awhile, Give him a few years. ;)

I suppose he could grow into his looks.
    I somehow don't see Pattinson as Bond. Not saying he absolutely couldn't do it, I just can't picture him. Let's see how he fares as Batman.
    However,I do feel there have been far worse potential candidates named.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    aidan-turner-on-the-set-of-and-then-there-were-none-a-kynance-cove-on-picture-id1173338966?s=2048x2048

/Thread
    Lol
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My pick.
    yOZEk9J.gif
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It's interesting it's called a discussion page yet most of you can only come up with crap jokes.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,527
    We’ve been discussing it for over six hundred pages... there’s bound to be a joke or two. Don’t let it get to you.
    We’ve been discussing it for over six hundred pages... there’s bound to be a joke or two. Don’t let it get to you.

Most of the discussions here are just reruns.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    And not the good reruns. :D