DIE ANOTHER DAY: First 30 minutes perfect?

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Indeed, @MakeshiftPython.....now you've cleared it up. I was beginning to think you liked Newman re-using lots of his SF score for SP. SP does have some good tracks like 'Los Muertos Vivos Estan', 'Donna Lucia', 'Crows Klinik', 'Madeleine', 'Secret Room', 'Safe House' & 'Detonation'.

Newman simply needed different variations of the Bond theme to help himself, I mean how difficult is that?. Am also very surprised a Director like Mendes, who's familiar with Bond's history could be careless with Bond Music....coz Newman obviously knows nothing about Bond, so Mendes should have known this & kept a sharp eye on Newman's music.
    There are some good ideas in DAD but it’s let down by a lack of talent in Tamahori behind the camera, spectrum 48k level special effects, and wildly differing performances in front of the camera.

I like pierce, but his mid Atlantic “Am checkin’ Out” is a low point in a film littered with them

It’s got a feel like the whole thing was filmed on the backlot of Pinewood or in Cornwall (the beach at the start, the temple at the end, bond climbing up the obviously superimposed ladder in Hong Kong, the ice palace set. I could go on).

Vic Armstrong's set pieces look like they are planned by a man past his prime.

Don’t get me started on jinx’s character. It’s as three dimensional as a postage stamp.

Positives - the Cuban guy. The fencing scene. Bonds entrance to Qs lab.

Otherwise a shocker
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Indeed, @MakeshiftPython.....now you've cleared it up. I was beginning to think you liked Newman re-using lots of his SF score for SP. SP does have some good tracks like 'Los Muertos Vivos Estan', 'Donna Lucia', 'Crows Klinik', 'Madeleine', 'Secret Room', 'Safe House' & 'Detonation'.

Newman simply needed different variations of the Bond theme to help himself, I mean how difficult is that?. Am also very surprised a Director like Mendes, who's familiar with Bond's history could be careless with Bond Music....coz Newman obviously knows nothing about Bond, so Mendes should have known this & kept a sharp eye on Newman's music.

I'm pretty sure the little use of the Bond theme was a mandate by EON because of how well CR was received rather than your baseless assumption that Newman "knows nothing about Bond". Keep in mind, QOS used the Bond theme even less than SF and SP did, and that was supposed to be AFTER Bond became fully formed at the end of CR.

It'll be interesting to finally hear the Zimmer score and see how much he uses the Bond theme compared to the Arnold and Newman scores. Heck, I wonder EON demanded he use Arnold's arrangement from CR again.

I'm pretty sure the little use of the Bond theme was a mandate by EON because of how well CR was received rather than your baseless assumption that Newman "knows nothing about Bond". Keep in mind, QOS used the Bond theme even less than SF and SP did, and that was supposed to be AFTER Bond became fully formed at the end of CR.

It'll be interesting to finally hear the Zimmer score and see how much he uses the Bond theme compared to the Arnold and Newman scores. Heck, I wonder EON demanded he use Arnold's arrangement from CR again.

Maybe you must have seen this before, but this is the main reason I said Newman knows nothing about Bond.

You'll notice Arnold is more Comfortable with Questions & even offers indirect advice to Newman on how to use the Bond theme and what the Bond theme means to the franchise. Newman mentions the Bond theme in the Video, without really knowing what it means. Almost like he did a quick study on Bond music, before this interview.....coz he didn't talk seamlessly like Arnold did here.

And Newman is no Arnold....coz even without the Bond theme, Arnold still creates good tracks. Newman needed the Bond theme more to hide his limited knowledge about Bond music.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    There are some good ideas in DAD but it’s let down by a lack of talent in Tamahori behind the camera, spectrum 48k level special effects, and wildly differing performances in front of the camera.

I like pierce, but his mid Atlantic “Am checkin’ Out” is a low point in a film littered with them

It’s got a feel like the whole thing was filmed on the backlot of Pinewood or in Cornwall (the beach at the start, the temple at the end, bond climbing up the obviously superimposed ladder in Hong Kong, the ice palace set. I could go on).

Vic Armstrong's set pieces look like they are planned by a man past his prime.

Don’t get me started on jinx’s character. It’s as three dimensional as a postage stamp.

Positives - the Cuban guy. The fencing scene. Bonds entrance to Qs lab.

Otherwise a shocker

Nice post! Spot on analysis. :-bd

Maybe you must have seen this before, but this is the main reason I said Newman knows nothing about Bond. You'll notice Arnold is more Comfortable with Questions & even offers indirect advice to Newman on how to use the Bond theme and what the Bond theme means to the franchise.

And Newman is no Arnold....coz even without the Bond theme, Arnold still creates good tracks. Newman needed the Bond theme more to hide his limited knowledge about Bond music.

I don't agree with your opinion. At least to me I get a lot more exhilaration out of the action build up throughout "Grand Bazaar, Istanbul"/"The Bloody Shot" than the more generic fare like "White Knight". Newman may not be a Bond fanboy like Arnold, but I don't think being a fanboy is a prerequisite for working on Bond.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    White Knight is a fantastic action cue. One of the best. Sounded great live, too.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    White Knight is a fantastic action cue. One of the best. Sounded great live, too.

Agreed. Surrender was a great piece to weave into the main action theme. Much better than the Sheryl Crowe song.
    "Surrender" sounds like a lame attempt at a 40s big band pop song. It felt out of place for 1997, and was rightfully rejected by EON as the main title. That said, the Sheryl Crow song still sucks.

Agreed. Surrender was a great piece to weave into the main action theme. Much better than the Sheryl Crowe song.

Yes, I love it.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

i disagree.. i mean, no one really knows for sure, it's all speculative.. but my assumption, based on how much creative control they've let the directors have since CR - i dont feel as though EON mandated anything, they probably just said "do whatever you feel is right for the film" and then got out of the way... i am only basing this on a response MGW gave when asked about the gun barrel being removed from the beginning of CR, QOS and SF.. he made some kind of remark akin to "i don't know why they like moving it around so much, but its what they want to do" (that isn't obviously verbatim what he said, but it was something close).. what that tells me, is this tightfisted oversight that we think EON has over these films, is a lot looser than we may think it is - because if they aren't mandating the gun barrel MUST be at the beginning of every film, then i highly doubt they care about using or not using the Bond theme with any regularity..
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    I thought MGW or BB answered this a few years ago. I believe they said something along the lines of "To use the Bond theme they have to pay royalties which then comes out of the composers paycheck which is why we don't hear it as often anymore"

Might just be misremembering, but I am almost certain I read or heard this somewhere.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    I thought MGW or BB answered this a few years ago. I believe they said something along the lines of "To use the Bond theme they have to pay royalties which then comes out of the composers paycheck which is why we don't hear it as often anymore"

Might just be misremembering, but I am almost certain I read or heard this somewhere.

i thought that was the 007 Theme, not the James Bond theme..
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Agent_47 wrote: »

i thought that was the 007 Theme, not the James Bond theme..

You could be right, but I thought the question was asked in regard to the Craig era not using the Bond theme as often, which wouldn't make sense if it was in regard to the 007 theme because that hasn't been used in decades I don't think.

Either way, they probably have to pay royalties for both, so I would assume it would apply to both.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think the first hour is pretty solid and enjoyable. It sadly flounders a bit by the end but I can forgive it. It doesn't fail to entertain. And that soundtrack. Makes driving around fun after work.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

Maybe you must have seen this before, but this is the main reason I said Newman knows nothing about Bond. You'll notice Arnold is more Comfortable with Questions & even offers indirect advice to Newman on how to use the Bond theme and what the Bond theme means to the franchise.

I don't agree with your opinion. At least to me I get a lot more exhilaration out of the action build up throughout "Grand Bazaar, Istanbul"/"The Bloody Shot" than the more generic fare like "White Knight". Newman may not be a Bond fanboy like Arnold, but I don't think being a fanboy is a prerequisite for working on Bond.

+1
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,918
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Yeah, the two films aren't great. But I did a rewatch of the Bond films lately....and I discovered I had a more seamless watch with DAD than SP. And the two films have Similar car chase styles, with quick cuts to another scene and back, but I think DAD's car chase is superior. And coupled with SP's problems....the score has never helped me. I honestly do think a David Arnold Score would have helped SP, even with it's problems.....am one of those who strongly believes a very good score, can lift even a bad film.

I know it's hard to believe, But Newman's Score is 70% of SP's Problems. I think late last year or so, One of us re-scored SP's car chase with Zimmer's Molossus from Batman Begins & without Moneypenny's Dialogue....it felt like a different film entirely. I think Newman's score was really in line with the Dull Nature of SP, so it couldn't lift the film.

the problem i have with Thomas Newman, is that i generally like his stuff outside of Bond.. i thought his score for 1917 was absolutely beautiful.. but when it comes to a Bond score, i think in all - both SF and SP, my overall feelings are that it was a bit humdrum... nothing is going to ever usurp Barry - so i wont even cite him as an example.. but even if you go back and look at Arnold's work - each of his scores felt like they gave that film it's own identity - there was something unique to the sound, and the way he would often times weave a musical theme throughout his work aided in that - 'Paris & Bond' in TND, 'Elektra's Theme' in TWINE, 'Vesper' and 'City of Lovers' in CR, 'Night at the Opera' in QOS... Newman's work, while fine - lacks that personal identity that makes it stand out, i think it lacks an overall cohesion of themes.. the score for SF and SP sound largely indistinguishable... i am no music major, i dont pretend to be - i just go by what i hear..

... BUT... i will add - Mendes shares in that blame also - not one piece of music goes into a film without Director approval.. so, he either sat back and just let Newman do his thing and was comfortable with whatever he presented - or - Newman just gave Mendes exactly what he wanted.. i mean, either way the buck stops with Mendes.. so if one is unhappy on score, first person to blame is the director - because if he doesn't like the music, he can easily sack the composer and start over with a new one (its happened before)..

besides, maybe it's just me - but i want the cliche' back.. IMO, it's really been since DAD that we've had a very fun Bond score that embraces the brassy and brashness of classic 007 - and also really embraces the JAMES BOND THEME itself!.. i understand why Arnold left it out or sparingly used it in CR and QOS - it was an artistic choice to reflect Bond's growth into becoming 007 in those films.. but Newman continued that trend, and even went as far as to not record a version of the Bond theme himself, instead the powers that be just shoved Arnold's from CR into both films.. as a Bond fan, that annoys me.. in a Bond movie, i wanna hear the damn theme!... here is a re-edit i made of the helicopter chase down the Thames in SP.. IMO, it works so much better than the dull crap they used..

I actually think that might be a bit much. I am up for a bit more of a fuller statement of the theme but I don't think it quite works there. It makes the scene triumphant when they're not really at that point, the original score actually makes it seem a bit more dangerous and nervous. Maybe if it were just the vamp bit playing as the boat emerges that would be good as it would reflect the MI6 team's surprise that Bond's alive; but they're not whooping and hollering so the full bebop bit of the theme doesn't quite fit; the scene needs a bit more tension than the Bond theme gives it.
    The plane chase it would work better I think.

Totally off topic I know, but one thing about that scene I've always thought: I wish that Q had given Bond another gadget gun. Last time he got the signature gun, but if this time he'd given him a special gun which had one high velocity explosive round in it, and Bond pressed a button that made the barrel pop out longer or something so we knew he's going to use the explosive bullet... it'd just make shooting down a helicopter a bit easier to buy I guess.
    I never had a problem with Bond being able to shoot the helicopter down because he took so many shots before he was able to actually hit the engine that brought it down.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Sure, but it's just a bit anti-climatic somehow. He doesn't do anything different, he just does it again. Movie grammar for that sort of thing is usually 'bang, bang, bang; "Hmm I'll try something different"; It works'. Do you know what I mean?
    The scenario is utter nonsense.

Granted, Bond taking down an enemy with his sidearm is one of the most Bondian things he can do, but he may as well have been throwing stones at the helicopter for all the stopping power the Walther has.

It's a nice bit of movie magic but it's 100% impossible.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I never had a problem with Bond being able to shoot the helicopter down because he took so many shots before he was able to actually hit the engine that brought it down.

The problem is that the calibre of the gun wouldn't be powerful enough at that distance, even if he could pull off a shot in a boat travelling at that speed bouncing off the water.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Granted, Bond taking down an enemy with his sidearm is one of the most Bondian things he can do, but he may as well have been throwing stones at the helicopter for all the stopping power the Walther has.

Yeah exactly; as I say, I think I'd have preferred if it he'd had a special gadgetty gun to make it a bit more understandable.
    It needed a bit of Bond lateral thinking there, even the flare-fired-into-the-cockpit thing from the beginning of AVTAK would have been a bit bigger and a bit Bondier.
    SP might have the weakest finale in the entire franchise. It felt as if the finale was written on the same day of the shoot, wasn't flowing at all. DAD's plummeting plane might be ridiculous, but it's a more fun finale....coupled with Arnold's Energetic Score.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    SP might have the weakest finale in the entire franchise.

I dunno, it's got competition from stuff like LALD and TMWTGG if you ask me, even TLD ends on a bit of a whimper; and I do like the explosive MI6 and Bond actually giving up, getting ready to be blown up, looking Blofeld in the eye. But yeah, the boat bit is a bit perfuntory and it all just sort of ends. Maybe if the helicopter had gone down in the Thames and there could have been a bit of sinking-helicopter peril. Maybe he could have crashed into one of the upper gantries of Tower Bridge, I don't know.
    mtm wrote: »
    SP might have the weakest finale in the entire franchise.

I dunno, it's got competition from stuff like LALD and TMWTGG if you ask me, even TLD ends on a bit of a whimper; and I do like the explosive MI6 and Bond actually giving up, getting ready to be blown up, looking Blofeld in the eye. But yeah, the boat bit is a bit perfuntory and it all just sort of ends. Maybe if the helicopter had gone down in the Thames and there could have been a bit of sinking-helicopter peril. Maybe he could have crashed into one of the upper gantries of Tower Bridge, I don't know.

Yeah, the Boat Chase should have been more inventive, that's what makes Bond action standout. Maybe even a proper, aggressive & explosive boat chase between Bond & Blofeld, that ends up in an underwater fight between the two, before Bond is then triumphant.

But there's inventiveness in LALD, TMWTGG & TLD's finale. In LALD, Bond uses his Watch's Saw to escape the sharks. In TMWTGG, he poses as his Mannequin and kills Scaramanga & In TLD, after the Cargo Plane fight, there's a mean but playful Gunfight in Whitaker's War museum....and instead of Bond just shooting Whitaker, he uses his key-ring Gadget. And LALD, TMWTGG & TLD all have ear-catching scores to lift their scenes.

Yeah exactly; as I say, I think I'd have preferred if it he'd had a special gadgetty gun to make it a bit more understandable.
    It needed a bit of Bond lateral thinking there, even the flare-fired-into-the-cockpit thing from the beginning of AVTAK would have been a bit bigger and a bit Bondier.

I was going to say it'd be difficult to write that in considering Bond had been captured and disarmed by the Spectre goons prior to going into the MI6, but then again he managed to produce his Walther despite the same!

Yes, I agree. Something a bit more interesting. If we were going to go that route, a harpoon gun would have been a fairly exciting way to do it I think. Fired from the boat, possibly even mounted to it? Hobbs And Shaw did an overblown version of it in 2018 during its finale. A tug of war between the boat and the helicopter would have been quite fun to watch, and they still could have brought the chopper down on the bridge.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I was going to say it'd be difficult to write that in considering Bond had been captured and disarmed by the Spectre goons prior to going into the MI6, but then again he managed to produce his Walther despite the same!

Yeah that's a good point, didn't he just get it back off them once he'd escaped from them? I do really like that bit: he beats them up with a hood over his head and his hands bound. Spectre has many problems but I do like how James is absolutely double hard in it.
    :)
    Yes, I agree. Something a bit more interesting. If we were going to go that route, a harpoon gun would have been a fairly exciting way to do it I think. Fired from the boat, possibly even mounted to it? Hobbs And Shaw did an overblown version of it in 2018 during its finale. A tug of war between the boat and the helicopter would have been quite fun to watch, and they still could have brought the chopper down on the bridge.

Yes, maybe a bit of a stretch for a boat to have a harpoon gun I guess (and for it to be powerful enough to hit a helicopter) but something like that would be good.
    Yeah that's a good point, didn't he just get it back off them once he'd escaped from them? I do really like that bit: he beats them up with a hood over his head and his hands bound. Spectre has many problems but I do like how James is absolutely double hard in it.

Yeah, that is certainly possible I suppose. I also like that moment too, mainly because of how effortless Daniel Craig makes it look.
    Yes, maybe a bit of a stretch for a boat to have a harpoon gun I guess (and for it to be powerful enough to hit a helicopter) but something like that would be good.

I don't know, I've fired some powerful harpoons myself! ;) But I take your point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess if he were on a whaling boat it might work! :D

I must admit that one of my favourite action film endings in recent years was the climax to Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, which wasn't all-action at all but actually rather small scale and just dramatically really satisfying. And I know that sort of thing suits MI more than Bond because it should really be about the con rather than blowing something up, but equally I don't hate that Spectre doesn't have armies descending from the roof on zip lines. But it's not, sadly, as well-written as M:I.
    What Bond should have though, as Gadget Man said, is just that little hint of something clever. He sees a tank as a perfect pursuit vehicle, a plane as something he can pilot down a snowy hill: he sees opportunities where the rest of us would see death. And his jump into the demolition net in the MI6 building has a bit of that, but Blofeld's capture certainly could have done with a bit more because it's the line being drawn under the plot of the whole film. Even a bit of dramatic irony with him being caught by Bond locating him on security camera or something (I don't know! :) ) would have helped.

Yeah, that is certainly possible I suppose. I also like that moment too, mainly because of how effortless Daniel Craig makes it look.

Yeah and apparently that's how you deal with zip ties around the wrist, although I think I'd break my wrists!
    My top favourite moment in Spectre is similar to that one: when he's at the Hoffler clinic and disarms one of the guards very easily, and then the other one starts to make a move on him and he simply says "No" to him and makes him 'stay' like a doggie! :D That's wonderful because it's obvious he's just in a different league to these guys.

The problem is that the calibre of the gun wouldn't be powerful enough at that distance, even if he could pull off a shot in a boat travelling at that speed bouncing off the water.

None of that matters to me in a Bond film.