Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Martin seems to have been permanently bearded since he was in Crossing Lines at just 28 years old. (He's now 34). Any pic of him shaven is likely to be from this period. It's frustrating that there isn't a recent pic of him without a beard but it isn't hard to imagine him without one. Episodes of season 3 of Crossing Lines are available on YouTube and I'm not seeing a jawline problem. I wouldn't have pegged him as Bond from this show but he's matured well and it's what he looks like now that counts.

He's biggest problem is that his profile isn't high enough at the moment, but he seems to be an actor on the up so the next few years may change that. I still favour Aidan Turner at the moment but I believe that Martin has the best Bond look out there.
    Univex wrote: »
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Stuart Martin with his dicky out and rocking a Connery vibe.

But how old does he look without the beard?

MV5BZDBkMDM5Y2EtYTc1MC00MzFmLTk1YzUtMjI5M2JjOTdmYWM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

MV5BNGQ5NzA2MDUtZTM1OS00M2I4LWE4OTQtYWM1MGFmMTIwMjJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Second picture is Hugh Jackman crossed with Justin Theroux. First pic is Eastenders tough guy.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Richard Rankin.
    outlander-season-2-casts-roger-wakefield_63yv.h720.jpg
    roger_wakefiled_otlander.jpg

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,043
    It's only a matter of time before its only Aidan Turner brigade arrive to pour water on all of these other suggestions, which look quite interesting.

The heir apparent is the only option and woe betide anyone that suggests anything else.

Their jawline won't be right or they won't possess that natural charisma that Poldark does, wait and see.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2020 Posts: 13,894
    Richard Rankin.
    outlander-season-2-casts-roger-wakefield_63yv.h720.jpg
    roger_wakefiled_otlander.jpg

The top image reminds me a little of Toby Stephens*. Anyone else seeing it?

*Not intended as a criticism, just an observation.
  • It will of course depend on the orientation of the series but the problem with Richard Rankin might be that he is already too old. Not so immediately as when Eon announces a new actor. He's 37 now, assuming Bond 26 will be released in four at best, he will be over forty years old. So it doesn't leave him much time before being too old to lead a term.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 108
    This is probably the closest we're going to get to recent images of Stuart Martin without a beard and even then there's still face fuzz. However, at least we can see the jawline and chin and I still can't see a problem.

I think Martin's the one on the right.

He looks fine without a beard. Better even.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Too dopey looking for my liking, but do carry on
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm not fan either. For me, he personally falls into the same group as Aidan Turner. An actor who'd be better for a more faithful adaptations of Fleming's work on television.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Hemsworth is still I’m my top3 “ Extraction” is a big hit; I wouldn’t mind the Russo Brothers coming on as well, “Winter Soldier” is one of Marvel’s strongest and shows they can do a spy film.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    @talos7 If they divert from classic British casting, I'd pitch Christopher Abbott. He's 34. 6ft. American but could definitely pull of Bond in my eyes.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3571592/

christopher-abbott-catch-22-1558006357.jpg
    C22_103_PS7291-01120RT_f.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Denbigh wrote: »
    @talos7 If they divert from classic British casting, I'd pitch Christopher Abbott. He's 34. 6ft. American but could definitely pull of Bond in my eyes.

He has a great look for Bond I think. American is always going to be a tough sell.
    He has a young Brando look. I can’t see an American being cast.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,131
    No Americans as Bond. 🤣 It’s like casting David Niven as a Cowboy or Colin Firth as Dirty Harry. It’s just wrong. Plus they fail at the accent every time....on an epic scale.
    So many bad ideas in a row here.

MV5BZDBkMDM5Y2EtYTc1MC00MzFmLTk1YzUtMjI5M2JjOTdmYWM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

MV5BNGQ5NzA2MDUtZTM1OS00M2I4LWE4OTQtYWM1MGFmMTIwMjJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Maybe.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Maybe.

It finally struck me that sans beard , he looks like he forgot to put in his dentures. 😏
    Never heard of Stuart Martin...but it's very career dependent. Currently he's a bit of a 'no name', if he can get a big role on a BBC TV series or some smaller British indies, then maybe....he has that Daniel Craig-vibe. So it's a definite maybe, but he has to get more work.

The real question is when will Eon release Bond 26...if it's 2022 (which would be the 60th anniversary) then they might be able to get Jamie Dornan or someone in their late 30's.

But they may go young....an actor in their late 20's or early 30's. I think you shouldn't sleep on Bill Skarsgård. He has the look and seems to be maturing into a leading man. He also kinda looks intense. He could make a good Bruce Wayne/Batman and their is A LOT of crossover between the casting of Batman and Bond. In fact, all the Bond's (aside from Daniel Craig) could of played Batman.

rs_634x1024-200128165429-634.bill-skarsgard-sundance-2020.ct.012820.jpg
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    I don't know, Skarsgard looks a little too young for my taste.
    Never heard of Stuart Martin...but it's very career dependent. Currently he's a bit of a 'no name', if he can get a big role on a BBC TV series or some smaller British indies, then maybe....he has that Daniel Craig-vibe. So it's a definite maybe, but he has to get more work.

The real question is when will Eon release Bond 26...if it's 2022 (which would be the 60th anniversary) then they might be able to get Jamie Dornan or someone in their late 30's.

But they may go young....an actor in their late 20's or early 30's. I think you shouldn't sleep on Bill Skarsgård. He has the look and seems to be maturing into a leading man. He also kinda looks intense. He could make a good Bruce Wayne/Batman and their is A LOT of crossover between the casting of Batman and Bond. In fact, all the Bond's (aside from Daniel Craig) could of played Batman.

rs_634x1024-200128165429-634.bill-skarsgard-sundance-2020.ct.012820.jpg

He’s also Swedish which is an auto-rejection for the Bond role.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I fear they'll cast someone I'm not fond of. I remember watching Layer Cake and just wanting Craig and no one else. I got my way. I'd hate some fluffy lightweight like Brosnan in the role. I've been spoilt by Craig's portrayal. He's made EoN's job virtually impossible. It's a shame Jack O'Connell is such a midget. He's got the swagger, acting chops and charisma to own the role. Someone in that mould would be ideal. I just can't think of anyone suitable. Dan Stevens is my unimaginative, safe choice. I'm stumped.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869

He has a great look for Bond I think. American is always going to be a tough sell.
    Yeah @NickTwentyTwo, it's a shame he's not British because he'd be perfect.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,131

Yeah @NickTwentyTwo, it's a shame he's not British because he'd be perfect.

If they cast an American in Britain’s most iconic character role (Bond)....I’m out....I for one wouldn’t watch it. It’s like casting David Niven as a Cowboy or Colin Firth as Dirty Harry. Just wrong. Plus Americans can’t portray an authentic English accent.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Sam Heughan for a return to a Scott playing Bond. Guy even has his own whiskey brand.
    Besides, he reminds me a bit of Iain Glen and Roger Moore. And Caitriona Balfe could be his Bond girl ;) And he's a good actor. Good PR fella too. What do you say, ladies and lassies? He looks like a Andrew Bond/Monique Delacroix son, you know, a Glencoe father and a Swiss mother. And I bet he can raise his eyebrow properly. And has a distinguishable deep voice. And...has auditioned already in 2005, when he was 27. Damn, he's 40 now. But hey, Bond shouldn't be played by a 20 year old, nor a 30 year old, IMO. This guy would do. He's a bit too tall, though.

s2sMzEr5_400x400.jpg
    ENdVnc_WsAAic6O.jpg
    Sam_Mar2020_0077.CR2_.p-768x1024.jpg
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,976
    Definitely has potential, and even possesses a bit of the Moore eyebrow.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Definitely has potential, and even possesses a bit of the Moore eyebrow.
    Right? ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I understand he tested for it last time and it's not an original thought, but Rupert Friend has the right feel for my money.

homeland-series-5-episode-2-003.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C858&ssl=1
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sam Heughan for a return to a Scott playing Bond. Guy even has his own whiskey brand.
    Besides, he reminds me a bit of Iain Glen and Roger Moore. And Caitriona Balfe could be his Bond girl ;) And he's a good actor. Good PR fella too. What do you say, ladies and lassies? He looks like a Andrew Bond/Monique Delacroix son, you know, a Glencoe father and a Swiss mother. And I bet he can raise his eyebrow properly. And has a distinguishable deep voice. And...has auditioned already in 2005, when he was 27. Damn, he's 40 now. But hey, Bond shouldn't be played by a 20 year old, nor a 30 year old, IMO. This guy would do. He's a bit too tall, though.

s2sMzEr5_400x400.jpg
    ENdVnc_WsAAic6O.jpg

Agree with @talos7, definitely has potential. Still seems to err a little on the young-looking side, but the next Bond actor won't get in the tux for probably another decade, lol, so he'd have my vote.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

s2sMzEr5_400x400.jpg
    ENdVnc_WsAAic6O.jpg

Agree with @talos7, definitely has potential. Still seems to err a little on the young-looking side, but the next Bond actor won't get in the tux for probably another decade, lol, so he'd have my vote.

He looks 100% Scandinavian to me which means a no from me. He looks masculine/ strong, but not Bond.