Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I've never seen Turner in anything other than The Secret Scripture, which was a pretty rubbish film and he didn't leave much of an impression. I've never watched Poldark.

But he is a Clondalkin man, so he can't be all bad.

I’ve seen Poldark and I can see why members want him as Bond. He’s quite a sensible suggestion and I think he could pull off a ‘Dalton type’ approach.
  • suavejmf wrote: »
    I've never seen Turner in anything other than The Secret Scripture, which was a pretty rubbish film and he didn't leave much of an impression. I've never watched Poldark.

But he is a Clondalkin man, so he can't be all bad.

I’ve seen Poldark and I can see why members want him as Bond. He’s quite a sensible suggestion and I think he could pull off a ‘Dalton type’ approach.

In the last series of Poldark he had some very Bond/M like scenes in it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,869
    But sensible isn't always the best option. To me, he falls into the same category of Tom Hiddleston. Safe, sensible but boring. As for Jack "common" really? In response to that I say, so not only can Bond not be black or whatever, he can't even look like he's from a different social status of England even if he's still white? Wasn't Craig considered too "common" for Bond?

Also in the UK on Sky tonight is a show called Gangs of London. It stars actor Joe Cole, a very good actor. Not sure if I see it too much, but you never know. He's currently 31 and 5"11. He also also in Peaky Blinders.

Joe_Cole_Gangs_of_London_Sky_Atlantic.jpg?downsize=1920:*&output-format=jpg
    Joe_Cole_Sope_Dirisu_Gangs_of_London_Sky_Atlantic_.jpg?downsize=1920:*&output-format=jpg
    gangs-of-london-joe-cole-1587487188.jpg
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,541
    Denbigh wrote: »
    But sensible isn't always the best option. To me, he falls into the same category of Tom Hiddleston. Safe, sensible but boring. As for Jack "common" really? In response to that I say, so not only can Bond not be black or whatever, he can't even look like he's from a different social status of England even if he's still white? Wasn't Craig considered too "common" for Bond?

Safe and common choices are Robert pattison, Henry Cavill, Jaime dornan, tom hiddleston not Aidan Turner because they all are known for some specific popular roles, turner isn't. Safe choices are someone who has star power and already popular among general audience which Turner doesn't have yet. The reason many people here calling him boring is because he has been mentioned many times. It's not fair to call him boring without seeing him in the role first.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Maybe it seems that way and I certainly agree that those other choices you mention are also safe, but I actually mean those things in terms of the fact that I think Aidan represents this "return to form" people talk about, I agree everyone should be given a chance to prove himself. But to me, Aidan is the Connery and Brosnan type casting.

While Aidan could be quite good as you say, but a return to the type of Bond people want from him is not something that excites me. That's what I think is safe and boring about his choosing. Also @Resurrection, @suavejmf meant "common" as in people of a low, working class or just "poor young lads".

My other issue with Aidan is that I think he'd make a better "period" 007. He would suit a more faithful adaptation of the material, which could also make him seem like a safe choice in my opinion. There's no risk in casting him I think, and I don't think he really offers anything new for the next era. A main reason I'm pushing for a younger actor just to change things up a bit.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Indeed, are we casting Nick Nack or Bond? Let's get back to business

7.gif.e87dff19ffe7a2989fb689ceb6b4d16f.gif

Right height, looks, age. Decent actor. Turner is a sensible suggestion. +1.

This assessment is the thing that makes me apprehensive. He's 'sensible', which feels like another way of saying boring. One thing you can certainly not say of Daniel Craig's casting was that it was 'sensible.' It felt radical and exciting....

Turner just doesn't have that exciting a career. In an age of 'peak TV', the best he has come is a BBC costume drama that your Aunt loves. He's just a bit uninspiring. Post-Daniel Craig, you need someone more dynamic.
    @suavejmf What are yours and other people's thoughts on Aaron Taylor-Johnson? I understand and aware of his not so effective role in Godzilla that didn't go down well, and has never truly sparked on screen, but despite that, I believe he is a very talented actor, and has done some interesting projects, and also impressed everyone with his range in Nocturnal Animals.

Plus he is supposedly in Tenet and The King's Man. If we can't get Rob and Jack O'Connell as people suggest is too 'short' for the producers, why not Aaron Taylor-Johnson?

He's 5"11, taller than Craig, and 29 years old. Plus he's an actor who could definitely handle and push himself with the fight choreography due to his dance and acrobatic skills.

I haven’t seen enough of him to form an opinion TBH. However, I’ve had a further look at O’Connell. He looks ‘common’ to me....definitely not Bond material.

'Common?' Ouch.....remember Connery, Moore and Craig were all very working class men. Proudly so. It's called 'acting.' Jack O'Connell is a great actor, but perhaps a little short for Bond. I never used to be such a height-ist for Bond....but you guys have convinced me somewhat. Though I still use Tom Hardy as the benchmark. He's tiny but built. Maybe O'Connell needs to eat more and go to the gym

581368.jpg

I recently started 'Bodyguard' and it's a rather entertaining show. Only 2 episodes in (and will probably binge the rest before the end of today). I think Madden looks a little young, but since that show and going to Hollywood with the award attention and the Marvel project, he is looking more like a leading man than on 'Bodyguard.'

In 'Bodyguard', he's doing that 'cold' performance where the character has 'problems at home' routine. Its a little mundane, but Madden is an immensely empathetic actor. His accent is also very sexy. He has an effortless charisma in 'Rocketman' (a far more convincing Bond audition than 'Bodyguard'). He is the right age at 33 and looks primed to be a big deal....he's grown past his boyish looks and is looking more masculine on the red carpet. He's turning into Bond more and more every day.

EDkkj3oX4AchxBI?format=jpg&name=large

D6uBGhJXkAAf5tP?format=jpg&name=medium

Also in the UK on Sky tonight is a show called Gangs of London. It stars actor Joe Cole, a very good actor. Not sure if I see it too much, but you never know. He's currently 31 and 5"11. He also also in Peaky Blinders.

Joe Cole has an immense amount of swagger. On Peaky Blinders he had great presence and owned the screen. He looks a little like he could be Daniel Craig's son. But I prefer his 'Gangs of London' co-star, Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù.

tv-news-gangs-of-london-joe-cole-and-sope-dirisu-cast-as-leads-for-sky-and-cinemax-drama-series.jpg

I get what you are saying but if we think that Turner is Connery or brosnan type casting then we can safely say that Craig was Lazenby or Dalton type casting. I believe i mentioned this few pages back as well that Connery- Moore- Brosnan & Lazenby- Dalton- Craig had lot's of similarities. The reason we are supporting Turner is because EON has a history of changing it for every bond actor, Craig was not the first one, every bond actor brings something similar to previous one's. One is cinematic and other is more brutal and grounded. I believe it's time for another cinematic if we learn anything from bond's history.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Joe Cole has an immense amount of swagger. On Peaky Blinders he had great presence and owned the screen. He looks a little like he could be Daniel Craig's son. But I prefer his 'Gangs of London' co-star, Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù.

tv-news-gangs-of-london-joe-cole-and-sope-dirisu-cast-as-leads-for-sky-and-cinemax-drama-series.jpg
    I did think that when I saw this picture @Pierce2Daniel If he not Bond, I'd be interested to see him as maybe Felix (despite not being American) or a villain would be good too.
    gangs-of-london-sope-main.jpg?quality=50&width=1800&ratio=16-9&resizeStyle=aspectfill&format=jpg

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    I'll play Bond. I'm 28 and will be the ideal age by the time Bond 26 roles around. Problem solved.
    Wow sensible is the new boring. What times we live in.
    Anyways i would have support Madden,he's got an amazing voice and very charming guy, if only he had the height. For me any bond candidate needs to tick all the boxes before i see his performance. If height doesn't matter anymore then why not get Peter dinklage? he is far better actor than any name that has been suggested here.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOqv8_-PSZmo3cCqwKKWcJAhCfbYWdpwK-4jY9JFUKtFNLFLcr0-twfxznow&s=10
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Bond? No. Nic Nac, perhaps?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Joe Cole annoys the hell out of me. He was a terrible footballer, as well.
    Octopussy wrote: »
    Bond? No. Nic Nac, perhaps?

Read my post again please, it was sarcasm. If the guy doesn't have the height he can't play bond. That's why i use the example of Peter dinklage, if height doesn't matter in our time why not get him. Even though i like Nicnac but Peter is far more superior in terms of acting skills. I would definitely want Peter dinklage to play an important role(not bond or Nicnac) in the bond series, something memorable.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I mean there's that and then there's being 5"8. Not saying height isn't important, just that a few inches or so isn't going to hurt anyone and wouldn't drastically alter the character. You think any of the previous Bond's would have been any less of a good Bond if they were all %'8?? if the actor's good enough and the producers want them, then they'll cast them.

And @CraigMooreOHMSS hahaha, I knew someone would make the joke :D
    And @CraigMooreOHMSS hahaha, I knew someone would make the joke :D

;)

Couldn't help myself.

Seriously though, I can't stand him. I find he has an extremely punchable face. I was delighted when he left Peaky Blinders, even though my dislike of him arguably worked in the show's favour as he was always the more antagonistic and annoying brother.
    "A few inches wouldn't drastically alter the character"
    For me it is, have a 6ft tall and 5"8 guy stand in front of each other and see who looks more intimidating. Surely looks play an important part in that but height is a contributing factor and an added advantage. As i said ticking the certain check boxes should be first and foremost criteria.

To be honest, they can cast whoever they want, i am talking about my personal taste. I can't speak for everyone.

Joe_Cole_Gangs_of_London_Sky_Atlantic.jpg?downsize=1920:*&output-format=jpg
    Joe_Cole_Sope_Dirisu_Gangs_of_London_Sky_Atlantic_.jpg?downsize=1920:*&output-format=jpg
    gangs-of-london-joe-cole-1587487188.jpg

I actually think Hiddleston would be an interesting Bond, based on the Night Manager. Moore mixed with Craig.

By sensible I meant not silly, like a Council Estate looking midget or a Chinaman. Turner would be an interesting choice IMO.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    a Council Estate looking midget or a Chinaman.
    Well now you're just going for unnecessary insults rather than being realistic. I would really enjoy you playing that argument to their faces.

Also, sorry everyone on here whose 5"8 or shorter and thought they were average, you're actually a midget so stop trying, and you're kinda reminding me of Kingsman right now. They also didn't want "council estate lads" anywhere near their spy agency either :)

And @Resurrection I don't think height is necessary for that. If an actors good enough they can do fine without the extra few feet. Tbh I've never looked at any Bond and thought about whether they're intimidating or not. Bond doesn't win through intimidation, he wins through being a good and effective spy, what's height got to do with it. Is it impossible for shorter guys to take out taller guys? No, so what's the problem?
    Wow sensible is the new boring. What times we live in.
    Anyways i would have support Madden,he's got an amazing voice and very charming guy, if only he had the height. For me any bond candidate needs to tick all the boxes before i see his performance. If height doesn't matter anymore then why not get Peter dinklage? he is far better actor than any name that has been suggested here.

According to the internet, Madden is 5'10". He does photograph short - I think it's because he is slightly boyish-looking in 'Bodyguard.' Also, Keeley Hawes is 5′ 8″ and is in heels, which doesn't help.

But, I think he could be a terrific Bond. He has the look and seems to have his career moving in the right direction. He actually reminds me visually of Brosnan. However, he's a much better actor. As explained he is very empathetic actor, who happens to be charismatic and seamlessly cool.

He also worked with Sam Mendes on 1917. I could imagine a reunion between the two on Bond 26. Nonetheless, he's clearly getting attention from big filmmakers and franchises. His agents are doing a good job exposing him post-'Game of Thrones.'

ee059b68bf9b7158f73b835dd84ee858.jpg
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 695
    Since the Bond girls are usually slender, we can't have Bond shorter than these beauties.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,131
    a Council Estate looking midget or a Chinaman.
    Well now you're just going for unnecessary insults rather than being realistic. I would really enjoy you playing that argument to their faces.

Also, sorry everyone on here whose 5"8 or shorter and thought they were average, you're actually a midget so stop trying, and you're kinda reminding me of Kingsman right now. They also didn't want "council estate lads" anywhere near their spy agency either :)

And @Resurrection I don't think height is necessary for that. If an actors good enough they can do fine without the extra few feet. Tbh I've never looked at any Bond and thought about whether they're intimidating or not. Bond doesn't win through intimidation, he wins through being a good and effective spy, what's height got to do with it. Is it impossible for shorter guys to take out taller guys? No, so what's the problem?

It wasn’t a deliberate insult, it was a tongue in cheek opinion on a Bond website. About casting a new 007.

Golding is Chinese, hence he doesn’t look like Bond (who is a white character). Period.

O’Connell is way shorter than UK average (fact) and in my opinion looks ‘common’. Yes that is a tad insulting, but producers cast based on looks. A fact of the industry. Indeed O’Connell was perfectly cast in ‘This is England.’ He’s a decent actor, but Bond is better looking than ‘average looking’ and short.

Kingsman wasn’t good IMO. The highlight being Firth. The low point being Begsy (a short and chavvy lead). Not an aspirational character at all in my personal opinion.
    Since the Bond girls are usually slender, we can't have Bond shorter than these beauties.

Exactly!
    https://www.hollywood.com/celebrities/bond-role-was-too-tall-an-order-for-gibson-60227879/
    @Denbigh , bolded parts are your comments:
    "sorry everyone on here whose 5"8 or shorter and thought they were average, you're actually a midget so stop trying"
    As an Indian i don't want an Indian to play the role of bond, call me racist if you want for that. Just like that people who are 5"8 or shorter shouldn't play bond. Craig got away with it because he is barely short, still he isn't my favorite bond.

" I don't think height is necessary for that. If an actors good enough they can do fine without the extra few feet"
    What defines good? No seriously most of the name i have seen here are biased in terms of looks, Robert pattison/Jaime dornan are typical example of that. If you simply want someone who is just "good" then why go for only pretty Hollywood models? go with someone who is more competent simply in terms of acting skills. There are lots of actors who aren't good looking in general sense but brilliant actors in terms of acting skills, why haven't you name them? No we want someone who is complete package (height,looks, physique,acting skills). It's hypocritical to say that we can do without a few inches but we can't do without looks.

"I've never looked at any Bond and thought about whether they're intimidating or not. Bond doesn't win through intimidation, he wins through being a good and effective spy".
    Yes and No, in an unlikely scenario when both shorter and taller men end up in similar circumstances, a shorter man is more likely to get picked in a fight or bullied, so height does have an advantage wether you like it or not. Intimidating doesn't just end there, how many times James bond steal villians gf/wife, women do find taller guys attractive, surely there are other factors at play as well. Another thing If height isn't necessary then how the hell most of the army, navy & airforce and other civil services in the world has those criteria.

"Is it impossible for shorter guys to take out taller guys? No, so what's the problem?"
    Wow, you are asking a question and answering it yourself in the same sentence, why not keep it to yourself then? It is not impossible but difficult for shorter guys to take on taller men and it's not real fight it's acting. When you think about it we want something which would Look believable and shorter guys taking on taller guys have a high chance of looking fake. Take Craig's fight with Bautista, what I really liked about that fight that bond wasn't actually able to kill him but he simply got lucky and escape the fight, if bond would have killed hinx with his bare hands it would have looked fake to me because there is no way someone like Craig can actually kill someone like Bautista with his bare hands
    Vo3K4I.gif

Finally, Look at my post from the last page about "what's my problem with it?", it's called respectfully disagreeing with someone. You shouldn't be having any problem if i want to see a taller bond with complete package. It's just preference.

@Pierce2Daniel if Madden is 5"10 then he might have my support. I have watched him GOT & other show and film's, his voice is very commanding and intimidating. I like him to be very honest.
    Another important aspect that's overlooked is the voice. Obviously has to have the British accent, but also that timber, that quality in the spoken voice. Almost has to sound familiar to us. Craig has that.
    I like Madden too and he's my number one choice right now. But even the mere mention, jokingly or otherwise, of Sam Mendes and Bond 26 together just sent shivers down my spine.
    Another important aspect that's overlooked is the voice. Obviously has to have the British accent, but also that timber, that quality in the spoken voice. Almost has to sound familiar to us. Craig has that.

Very true. For me it's all about the voice.
    @Denbigh , bolded parts are your comments:
    "sorry everyone on here whose 5"8 or shorter and thought they were average, you're actually a midget so stop trying"
    As an Indian i don't want an Indian to play the role of bond, call me racist if you want for that. Just like that people who are 5"8 or shorter shouldn't play bond. Craig got away with it because he is barely short, still he isn't my favorite bond.

" I don't think height is necessary for that. If an actors good enough they can do fine without the extra few feet"
    What defines good? No seriously most of the name i have seen here are biased in terms of looks, Robert pattison/Jaime dornan are typical example of that. If you simply want someone who is just "good" then why go for only pretty Hollywood models? go with someone who is more competent simply in terms of acting skills. There are lots of actors who aren't good looking in general sense but brilliant actors in terms of acting skills, why haven't you name them? No we want someone who is complete package (height,looks, physique,acting skills). It's hypocritical to say that we can do without a few inches but we can't do without looks.

"I've never looked at any Bond and thought about whether they're intimidating or not. Bond doesn't win through intimidation, he wins through being a good and effective spy".
    Yes and No, in an unlikely scenario when both shorter and taller men end up in similar circumstances, a shorter man is more likely to get picked in a fight or bullied, so height does have an advantage wether you like it or not. Intimidating doesn't just end there, how many times James bond steal villians gf/wife, women do find taller guys attractive, surely there are other factors at play as well. Another thing If height isn't necessary then how the hell most of the army, navy & airforce and other civil services in the world has those criteria.

"Is it impossible for shorter guys to take out taller guys? No, so what's the problem?"
    Wow, you are asking a question and answering it yourself in the same sentence, why not keep it to yourself then? It is not impossible but difficult for shorter guys to take on taller men and it's not real fight it's acting. When you think about it we want something which would Look believable and shorter guys taking on taller guys have a high chance of looking fake. Take Craig's fight with Bautista, what I really liked about that fight that bond wasn't actually able to kill him but he simply got lucky and escape the fight, if bond would have killed hinx with his bare hands it would have looked fake to me because there is no way someone like Craig can actually kill someone like Bautista with his bare hands
    Vo3K4I.gif

Finally, Look at my post from the last page about "what's my problem with it?", it's called respectfully disagreeing with someone. You shouldn't be having any problem if i want to see a taller bond with complete package. It's just preference.

@Pierce2Daniel if Madden is 5"10 then he might have my support. I have watched him GOT & other show and film's, his voice is very commanding and intimidating. I like him to be very honest.

Great post @Resurrection. I agree with everything you said! Well said!
    Univex wrote: »

Very true. For me it's all about the voice.

Bang on. Craig has a great ‘well spoken’ voice for the part.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Golding has a few too many tattoos. Not good for a secret agent.

You can't be serious?

Each to their own. But in the tradition of an English Gentleman, tattoos are not seen as ‘upper crust.’ This is the whole reason the Bond actors who had them had to hide them with make up or CGI. It doesn’t befit the image or the character.

Tattoos can be rather easily removed. Which is the incredulous part. It seems you know it too. Which makes it all the more baffling..

The odd tattoo, fine. But if an actor is ‘covered’ in tattoos they won’t suit the brand on the red carpet. Unless the tattoos are covered up. Yes, this is being snobby. But the character is a snob after all.

The said actor in this instance looks Chinese, so won’t get the part of Bond anyhow. Again, because he doesn’t look the part.

Bond won't be standing on the red carpet. The actor, who is currently not inhabiting the role, will be standing on it.

And I'm still not sure how having tattoos negates that person from having class? Boomer logic I suppose.

And so what if he is of Chinese descent? He is still British. And I hope he gets considered for the part after Craig leaves.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Golding has a few too many tattoos. Not good for a secret agent.

You can't be serious?

Each to their own. But in the tradition of an English Gentleman, tattoos are not seen as ‘upper crust.’ This is the whole reason the Bond actors who had them had to hide them with make up or CGI. It doesn’t befit the image or the character.

Tattoos can be rather easily removed. Which is the incredulous part. It seems you know it too. Which makes it all the more baffling..

The odd tattoo, fine. But if an actor is ‘covered’ in tattoos they won’t suit the brand on the red carpet. Unless the tattoos are covered up. Yes, this is being snobby. But the character is a snob after all.

The said actor in this instance looks Chinese, so won’t get the part of Bond anyhow. Again, because he doesn’t look the part.

Bond won't be standing on the red carpet. The actor, who is currently not inhabiting the role, will be standing on it.

And I'm still not sure how having tattoos negates that person from having class? Boomer logic I suppose.

And so what if he is of Chinese descent? He is still British. And I hope he gets considered for the part after Craig leaves.

I’m not a boomer? I’m far too young, as I was born in the 80’s. However, in my personal opinion tattoos aren’t classy and don’t match the Bond image. That’s my personal opinion. An old fashioned, snobby opinion I suppose.....but that’s how the character of Bond should be too. He’s a public school English Gentleman.

Whether you want to believe it or not having tattoos in the UK is still perceived as not being particularly ‘upper crust’. Not fact, perception. Why do you think the producers CGI Craig’s tattoos away??? Because they don’t suit the image...case in point.

I agree the actor portraying Bond would be standing on the ‘red carpet’ representing the ‘brand’. Thus, he can’t be short. In modern filmmaking ‘the brand’ is of prime importance alongside all the product placement deals. The height/ physical appearance of the actor is important in maintaining aspirational standards. Bond (and the actor portraying him) can’t be short, fat or ugly.

Bond is a white character period. Yes, a person of Chinese decent born in the UK is British. However, the point is Bond is a white British character. He isn’t of Chinese decent at all. It’s like suggesting Colin Firth as the lead in an ‘Enter the Dragon’ remake! 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣