Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Honestly he doesn’t look like Bond in either of the photos. You can’t just put a photo of yourself next to Bond and say it’s the same.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Golding has a few too many tattoos. Not good for a secret agent.

You can't be serious?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I think Jack Reynor (28 years old. 6"0. Irish) has potential too.

Really good actor, and yet to have a proper breakout, "career-defining" role.

TELEMMGLPICT000140455155_trans%2B%2BqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJweNtxj9PZ-PQqqpH_qJ95Uw.jpeg
    kin_jackdinerwindow.jpg
    ENTER-KIN-MOVIE-REVIEW-MCT.jpg
    glassland-jack-reynor.jpg
    No
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Getafix wrote: »
    No
    Care to elaborate?
  • Denbigh wrote: »

While I don't think he's a bad actor, I don't find him physically suitable at all for the role. On one hand he seems too bulky, on the other I find his face too juvenile.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Denbigh wrote: »

While I don't think he's a bad actor, I don't find him physically suitable at all for the role. On one hand he seems too bulky, on the other I find his face too juvenile.
    I see that, but I do think taking into account how long it'll be before a new actor is cast, I still see potential :)
    Although I am now going to move on to Jack O'Connell (29, Derby). I know he's only 5′ 8" but come on! Look at him, and if Tom Cruise can do it while being shorter so can any other actor :D
    001.jpg
    JACk-OCONNELL.WEB8_.jpg
    JACk-OCONNELL.WEB7_.jpg
    jack-o-connell-cannes-2019.jpg
    Godless4.jpg

• edited June 2022 Posts: 695
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Keep searching guys lol. Anyone asked their wives yet?
    The next Bond should have a look that sends you chills and also shows passion in his eyes.
    That's very specific haha, I don't know if I could even say that about any Bond actor tbh.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 695
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Keep searching guys lol. Anyone asked their wives yet?
    The next Bond should have a look that sends you chills and also shows passion in his eyes.
    That's very specific haha, I don't know if I could even say that about any Bond actor tbh.

What about Sir Rog? He shows that hard side as well as a soft side. I think Bond should be a tough man and also a nice guy, which is attractive to the ladies. They'll know!
    I mean what you've described there is what I think someone like Jack O'Connell would be perfect for. Just watch any of his projects. Also people should just watch this interview on Graham Norton with him and Judi Dench. Anyway, I think this guy could easily strike this perfect balance you describe. Judi certainly likes him :) Also put a trailer for Starred Up to show his tougher side.

As for Sir Rog, while I enjoyed his portrayal and respect him hugely as James Bond, I don't know if I would call him the best Bond for showing the softer and hard side. I actually would say Daniel Craig is best on that front.

@Denbigh haha did you have to choose an interview where he shows his bottom. No wonder she likes it. That '71 looks good I will watch it, thanks.

To add more specifics... He has to be cool. Like Craig was cool in his previous films. Cool af.
    Although I am now going to move on to Jack O'Connell (29, Derby). I know he's only 5′ 8" but come on! Look at him, and if Tom Cruise can do it while being shorter so can any other actor :D
    JACk-OCONNELL.WEB8_.jpg

He is certainly neither my first nor my second choice, but I could do with him. I especially retain your second image, where he actually embodies something that I had not necessarily seen in the others. From what film does it come from?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    JACk-OCONNELL.WEB8_.jpg

He is certainly neither my first nor my second choice, but I could do with him. I especially retain your second image, where he actually embodies something that I had not necessarily seen in the others. From what film does it come from?
    I don't even think he's my first or second choice tbh @Herr_Stockmann, but I've been a fan of his for quite a while now and he certainly has potential. Again taking into account how long it'll be before anyone is actually cast, I can see it happening and he's only 28 at the moment.

And this is from a film called Seberg, with Kristen Stewart playing Jean Seberg and O'Connell playing an FBI agent investigating her involvement with the civil rights movement.
    @Denbigh haha did you have to choose an interview where he shows his bottom. No wonder she likes it. That '71 looks good I will watch it, thanks.
    To add more specifics... He has to be cool. Like Craig was cool in his previous films. Cool af.
    And @DewiWynBond haha, I hope you enjoyed it, but if you have ever seen Skins or do you'll understand why a lot of people around my age (mainly British) have followed his career and really like him as an actor. I think casting someone like him would definitely be retaining that element of a tougher more modern Bond, who can still present that charm and softness that can appeal to everyone. I also saw the guy on stage with Sienna Miller for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and he was brilliant.

Also, I think we're certainly past the more overly "pompous" James Bond, not to suggest those that presented that characterisation were any less successful or good in the role, I just don't think it's relatable anymore.

I'm sorry this has turned into such a pitch haha :D
    And this is from a film called Seberg, with Kristen Stewart playing Jean Seberg and O'Connell playing an FBI agent investigating her involvement with the civil rights movement.
    I didn't know there was a biopic on Seberg, I'm interested! After some research, I came across other images of O'Connell in this film and, effectively, I'm starting to see in him something that could make him a good choice for the role. He has potential.
    JACk-OCONNELL.WEB9_.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Ah I'm glad @Herr_Stockmann, let me know if you do watch the film :)
    Just found this as well haha. This was bak in 2016, and I don't think his age would be a problem anymore.

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB8_.jpg

I don't even think he's my first or second choice tbh @Herr_Stockmann, but I've been a fan of his for quite a while now and he certainly has potential. Again taking into account how long it'll be before anyone is actually cast, I can see it happening and he's only 28 at the moment.

That shot is from Seberg. A recent film that sees O'Connell play an FBI agent. He has certainly matured recently and looks masculine. For a while O'Connell seemed to be the 'next big British actor' primed for a breakout akin to Michael Fassbender or Tom Hardy. He got the coveted lead in Unbroken and won a BAFTA, though he has disappeared slightly in the last few years. O'Connell has that same fiery, unpredictable intensity of Tom Hardy (also, believe it or not, Hardy is very short). His performance in Starred Up is mesmerising.

I think O'Connell looks good for the Bond role in a few years. Remember than both Yann Demange and David MacKenize were frontrunners to direct NTTD. So it seems that Eon have liked what they have seen in 71 and Starred Up. So there is some circumstantial evidence that Barbara is at least keeping an eye on O'Connell.

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB_.jpg
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I think Dornan has suffered from the same fate as Robert Pattinson. An actor who has clearly done some very interesting work; but for the masses will be associated with a crummy and cheesy franchise.

Dornan may be a little too old at 37 now. If Eon do cast the next Bond and keep an eye on actors in their late 30s/early 40s then he could be great. But they could go younger....the real issue is that we don't know when Bond 26 will come out. This pandemic has obviously hindered NTTD's release but it'll impact this casting process as well. We really should be knee-deep in rumours of DC's replacement now. But that conversation is postponed till Christmas it seems.

jamieback2--a.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    JACk-OCONNELL.WEB8_.jpg

That shot is from Seberg. A recent film that sees O'Connell play an FBI agent. He has certainly matured recently and looks masculine. For a while O'Connell seemed to be the 'next big British actor' primed for a breakout akin to Michael Fassbender or Tom Hardy. He got the coveted lead in Unbroken and won a BAFTA, though he has disappeared slightly in the last few years. O'Connell has that same fiery, unpredictable intensity of Tom Hardy (also, believe it or not, Hardy is very short). His performance in Starred Up is mesmerising.

I think O'Connell looks good for the Bond role in a few years. Remember than both Yann Demange and David MacKenize were frontrunners to direct NTTD. So it seems that Eon have liked what they have seen in 71 and Starred Up. So there is some circumstantial evidence that Barbara is at least keeping an eye on O'Connell.

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB_.jpg
    Completely agree with everything you said @Pierce2Daniel, especially the correlation between him and Hardy. I also think Barbara would really like O'Connell and they'd get on like a house on fire :) Plus I think going for an actor a bit younger than Craig was, is a really interesting and fresh way to go.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 893
    Remember than both Yann Demange and David MacKenize were frontrunners to direct NTTD. So it seems that Eon have liked what they have seen in 71 and Starred Up. So there is some circumstantial evidence that Barbara is at least keeping an eye on O'Connell.
    I would love to see such reunion between Demange and O'Connell! As has been said, he has the advantage of being young and remaining a credible candidate for several more years, something that strong contenders like Aidan Turner cannot necessarily boast about.

Considering that Craig's run would have lasted nearly fifteen years, I doubt Eon is in a hurry to announce a new actor or to launch the production for a movie, and it seems certain to me that the 60th anniversary of the series will be missed. In this context, as the actor who will be inducted in the role in a few years is still young today, O'Connell fits this profile.
  • Remember than both Yann Demange and David MacKenize were frontrunners to direct NTTD. So it seems that Eon have liked what they have seen in 71 and Starred Up. So there is some circumstantial evidence that Barbara is at least keeping an eye on O'Connell.
    I would love to see such reunion between Demange and O'Connell! As has been said, he has the advantage of being young and remaining a credible candidate for several more years, something that strong contenders like Aidan Turner cannot necessarily boast about.

Considering that Craig's run would have lasted nearly fifteen years, I doubt Eon is in a hurry to announce a new actor or to launch the production for a movie, and it seems certain to me that the 60th anniversary of the series will be missed. In this context, as the actor who will be inducted in the role in a few years is still young today, O'Connell fits this profile.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Revelator wrote: »
    Golding has a few too many tattoos. Not good for a secret agent.

You can't be serious?

Each to their own. But in the tradition of an English Gentleman, tattoos are not seen as ‘upper crust.’ This is the whole reason the Bond actors who had them had to hide them with make up or CGI. It doesn’t befit the image or the character.
    JACk-OCONNELL.WEB8_.jpg

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB_.jpg
    Completely agree with everything you said @Pierce2Daniel, especially the correlation between him and Hardy. I also think Barbara would really like O'Connell and they'd get on like a house on fire :) Plus I think going for an actor a bit younger than Craig was, is a really interesting and fresh way to go.

Until Barbara Broccoli meets him and realises he’s actually a midget. 😳
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    suavejmf wrote: »
    JACk-OCONNELL.WEB8_.jpg

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB_.jpg

Yes, that would be the only thing for me. I like Jack O'Connell a lot, he's a very talented actor - however he's even shorter than Daniel Craig.

That being said, I wonder if that would even be a factor, anymore?
    JACk-OCONNELL.WEB8_.jpg

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB_.jpg

Yes, that would be the only thing for me. I like Jack O'Connell a lot, he's a very talented actor - however he's even shorter than Daniel Craig.

Craig’s height has to be a bare minimum. It’s UK average height at 5ft 10in. Bond is supposed to be physically imposing and desirable to all women. You can’t have a short Bond and what’s the point? There are plenty of UK actors out there that do meet the physical requirements.

O’Connell is short (5ft 8in) which makes him an auto rejection. For the role of Bond actors should be automatically rejected if they fall below average UK height. They still have to represent the brand off screen and stilts can be avoided with sensible casting.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    JACk-OCONNELL.WEB8_.jpg

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB_.jpg

Craig’s height has to be a bare minimum. It’s UK average height at 5ft 10in. Bond is supposed to be physically imposing and desirable to all women. You can’t have a short Bond and what’s the point? There are plenty of UK actors out there that do meet the physical requirements.

O’Connell is short (5ft 8in) which makes him an auto rejection. For the role of Bond actors should be automatically rejected if they fall below average UK height. They still have to represent the brand off screen and stilts can be avoided with sensible casting.

Yes, I don't disagree with any of that myself. But I still wonder if it's something that EON would consider as being "auto rejection" worthy these days, especially with the constant swirling rumours about race-change etc.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I mean that depends a lot on the individual @suavejmf, and also I don't really think something like being a few inches shorter than average height is automatic rejection. If an actor is good enough and the producers like them enough, they'll cast them.

I'm also just saying if height is his only draw back then I think he still stands a chance just as muh as anyone else.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    The guy on the right was Bane in Dark Knight Rises......in that film Bane is a giant. It's all movie-magic. Tom Hardy is only 5'9 and Bane is easily meant to be 6'5

MV5BMTUxMjU0NzQ5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjExODQxOA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,775,1000_AL_.jpg

do-you-feel-in-charge.jpg?fit=736%2C489&ssl=1

I was shocked that Hardy was quite so small, in fact he's shorter than O'Connell! I don't think height is that important especially in film where it's fairly easy to manipulate. Look at Tom Cruise, he photographs as at least 5'10 in his films.

Speaking of Hardy, it was always a bit of a crying shame that he never got the role. He was perfect for the part in 2011/2012. Probably too big a star now and too old for the next film. Plus, for my money, Hardy was once a terribly brave and exciting performer. However, in recent years he has become a caricature of himself. Just stupid voices, OTT performances whilst pulling dumb faces. But I keep coming back.....weirdly excited to see how OTT he is as Capone.

tom-hardy-This-Means-War.jpg?w=980&q=75

But back to the discussion....Jack O'Connell.....I think he needs a Bond-esque performance in the next few years. Something akin to Craig in Layer Cake. For people to see him in action. But it doesn't seem he has anything on the docket that fits that bill. He does have a film coming this year called 'Little Fish' but that looks destined to be watched by no one.

DMB-VOGUE_TIFFANY_BAFTA_PARTY087.jpg

Though, here he is with Idris Elba and he does look like a boy. Idris is 6'2....

idris-elba-and-jack-oconnell-attend-harvey-weinsteins-prebafta-dinner-picture-id509829384

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB8_.jpg

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB_.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    100% @Pierce2Daniel. I also think Jack would be an interesting one to watch grow as the character, which is why I'm happy to have a younger actor this time around. Jack will only be 34 in 2025 I believe, so, still plenty of time to develop and again, grow with each film.
    100% @Pierce2Daniel. I also think Jack would be an interesting one to watch grow as the character, which is why I'm happy to have a younger actor this time around. Jack will only be 36 in 2025 I believe, so, still plenty of time to develop and again, grow with each film.

That gives him 5 years... an inch, even a centimetre, per year would be solid growth.