Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,112
    I still think November 2024 is a safe bet for Bond 26. But part of me thinks we could be in for a longer wait than that. I also don't know whether Barbara Brocolli and family will still be involved. It seems she has said everything she wanted to with Craig, done it her way. She is entering her sixties soon, and I wonder for how long she still wants to carry on Craig departs. It occurs to me that Bond 25 might be a sendoff for more than just him. Does she want to do more films like the rhythem Section and whatnot in her twilight years. I say this because it could dramatically change what Bond as a franchise will look like and who could be selected. My guess is, if EON and MGM are both out (hypothetically), then big money will be involved, the likes of Warner Brothers or Disney. If that happens then Bond will most likely be a big name actor. That said Disney did just casting an unknown actor as Aladdin, and someone like Henry Cavill wasn't exactly a big name when he became Superman.

But, like most things of late, much remains unclear...
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Unlikely perhaps, but I'm curious if they (with the longer gaps in mind) might consider a shorter contract for the next actor – like three or four films.

That's what I think. The usual three film contract with the option for a fourth. If the films are made in a timely manner (like the Brosnan films) then perhaps Bond #7 will continue onward. If a longer duration between films continue, then I seriously doubt the next Bond will make it past three films.

Three films between ten or twelve years doesn't seem to bad either. Obviously we'd want more films in a timeframe like that, but I'd be surprised if that happens.

I've been quite the pessimist lately, due to the current gap. However, I could see Eon aiming for three year spaces for the next actor. His third and possibly final film debuting 6 years after his first.

True, we might see EON wanting to go back to shorter gaps between each film, seeing as this era has been very drawn out (obviously with other factors contributing to the gaps).
    I still think November 2024 is a safe bet for Bond 26. But part of me thinks we could be in for a longer wait than that. I also don't know whether Barbara Brocolli and family will still be involved. It seems she has said everything she wanted to with Craig, done it her way. She is entering her sixties soon, and I wonder for how long she still wants to carry on Craig departs. It occurs to me that Bond 25 might be a sendoff for more than just him. Does she want to do more films like the rhythem Section and whatnot in her twilight years. I say this because it could dramatically change what Bond as a franchise will look like and who could be selected. My guess is, if EON and MGM are both out (hypothetically), then big money will be involved, the likes of Warner Brothers or Disney. If that happens then Bond will most likely be a big name actor. That said Disney did just casting an unknown actor as Aladdin, and someone like Henry Cavill wasn't exactly a big name when he became Superman.

But, like most things of late, much remains unclear...

We're in for an interesting wait between NTTD and Bond 26, that's for sure. Who will be the next Bond, how is the situation around EON/MGM, etc. I guess a 2024 date is possible, but I wouldn't count on it happening that soon though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Honestly.I think EON will just keep at a film by film basis. One Bond film whenever they can get it out because each production is different.

I think a lot of the backlash on EON makes it seem like they've planned for everything that's happened. I don't think so at all. It doesn't really matter what the producers did tbh, MGM went bankrupt, the Sony script leaks, creative differences with one director they've worked with, and now a widespread virus that has shutdown cinemas, which means they'd lose a lot of money if they didn't delay.

Any kind of producer or work ethic can't prevent a lot of these problems, as they're almost situational and unpredictable in EON's case apart from what happened with Danny Boyle, but again we don't know what happened there, for sure, I don't care what any "leak" says. Hoping for more films and quicker is pointless because no-one can predict what will happen with a film.

Also my strong belief is that James Bond will remain a family business, and I'm sure plenty of people know that trying to turn The Rhythm Section into a new franchise and getting rid of Bond is a bad idea, including Barbara.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 2,436
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Honestly.I think EON will just keep at a film by film basis. One Bond film whenever they can get it out because each production is different.

I think a lot of the backlash on EON makes it seem like they've planned for everything that's happened. I don't think so at all. It doesn't really matter what the producers did tbh, MGM went bankrupt, the Sony script leaks, creative differences with one director they've worked with, and now a widespread virus that has shutdown cinemas, which means they'd lose a lot of money if they didn't delay.

Any kind of producer or work ethic can't prevent a lot of these problems, as they're almost situational and unpredictable in EON's case apart from what happened with Danny Boyle, but again we don't know what happened there, for sure, I don't care what any "leak" says. Hoping for more films and quicker is pointless because no-one can predict what will happen with a film.

Also my strong belief is that James Bond will remain a family business, and I'm sure plenty of people know that trying to turn The Rhythm Section into a new franchise and getting rid of Bond is a bad idea, including Barbara.

There have been extenuating circumstances in the gaps during the Craig era. If all the gaps had been as intended Craig's era would like this (in this hypothesis each gap going from hypothetical previous release date):

CR - Nov 2006
    QoS - May 2008
    SF - Oct 2011
    SP- Oct 2013
    NTTD - Oct 2017
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I recently watched SS-GB and despite being against him initially, I've come round to the idea of Sam Riley. He's quite good in that. Handsome without being pretty. Tough without losing any of the charm.

Still wouldn't be my number one choice, but he's comfortably my second.

4284.jpg?width=1225&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=224dbc0405f55fbd0a0c44230f12ff79
  • I recently watched SS-GB and despite being against him initially, I've come round to the idea of Sam Riley. He's quite good in that. Handsome without being pretty. Tough without losing any of the charm.

4284.jpg?width=1225&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=224dbc0405f55fbd0a0c44230f12ff79

No.
    I recently watched SS-GB and despite being against him initially, I've come round to the idea of Sam Riley. He's quite good in that. Handsome without being pretty. Tough without losing any of the charm.

No.

Thank you, my mind has been firmly changed because of that detailed analysis.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526

No.

Can't help but agree with every word of this assessment. He looks like he's making that face because his mum isn't upping his allowance.
    He was really good in that show, I thought. Each to their own.
    Im firmly in the Aidan Turner camp. I dont see why people see him as Brosnan though? In Poldark and in And Then There Where None hes more dark/brooding than camp. He may have to looks of a Brosnan but his roles are more Dalton/Craig.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    We can say pretty much for certain from Barbara's comments that they will consider ethnic actors for the role next.

I just saw a clip of Sope Dirisu on Twitter promoting his new show...damn, this guy has screen presence. If Eon don't go with Jamie Dornan, I'd be very keen on them brining an actor of a different ethnicity. something I've made known on these boards. Check out this new clip, it may change some minds:

MV5BMDMwOTI1NmYtMWY3ZC00NjQxLWFlZDctMzc5ODdiZWM4MzY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc3NDgwNzU@._V1_.jpg

I think Dirisu could well be on the verge of a breakout role with Gangs of London. I think the 'next Bond' rumours are bound to start very soon. The show debuts later this month on Sky in the UK. He;s already being asked questions about being the next Bond.........watch this space

Another young ethic actor I've recently discovered - who has scored no less than role in Steve McQueen's next project - is Gershwyn Eustache/u]. He certainly has the look. I'd wait till I see him in that show before I make an decision. But I could see him as Bond.

gershwyneustachejnr1.jpg?resize=800%2C350

I'd love to do a straw poll on these boards just to see where people fall in the ethnic Bond question...
    For what it's worth I prefer your man Sope to Gershwyn, based on looks only.
    With a vaccine so far away now, I think the current batch of alleged favourites may be pushed out unless we are going to see a rapid turnover of films done back to back?

No.

Can't help but agree with every word of this assessment. He looks like he's making that face because his mum isn't upping his allowance.

Too old already, but looking too young in an immature way.
    Ludovico wrote: »

No.

Agreed
    Golding has a few too many tattoos. Not good for a secret agent.

No.

Fair enough. But to me, the positive way of looking at that would be that he would age well. He's only 40. And he can act. I found him very convincing in the show mentioned above. My only other exposure to him was his performance Control, which was also good albeit an entirely different beast.
    M_Balje wrote: »

Hah I'd actually be quite into this. Great look. Tattoos aren't an issue, Craig has many as well. Fix it in post.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Connery had tattoos on his forearms. Craig has quite a few as well. Make-up. And, as @NickTwentyTwo stated: erase in post.
    I know, but Connery's were small and easily covered. Roughly the same can be said for Craig's, who has more, though often in less visible areas. You are of course right that Golding's could be covered with make-up and dealt with in post, and I am probably letting my old-fashioned prejudice against tattoos show through. But it would be nice to have more actors who didn't view their bodies as sketchpads.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    It's not the tattoo, i don't think an Asian would be good choice. Regardless he is an handsome fellow.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited April 2020 Posts: 1,318
    It's not the tattoo, i don't think an Asian would be good choice. Regardless he is an handsome fellow.

Concur with this. He was quite alright in The Gentlemen.

How about 'The Tanaka Chronicles'? The young years of Tiger Tanaka in the Japenese secret service, anyone? Could be excellent on Netflix.

MV5BMTk4MGY4ZDgtYzFmZi00Y2JiLThiNDgtYTY2MjJiZDFhYTEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

Tiger_Tanaka_-_Profile.png
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom

Concur with this. He was quite alright in The Gentlemen.

How about 'The Tanaka Chronicles'? The young years of Tiger Tanaka in the Japenese secret service, anyone? Could be excellent on Netflix.

MV5BMTk4MGY4ZDgtYzFmZi00Y2JiLThiNDgtYTY2MjJiZDFhYTEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

Tiger_Tanaka_-_Profile.png

What an absolutely wonderful idea for a series. I'd love Netflix to bag Bond. They could do spinoffs and give us a film every couple of years. EoN seem to have reached an impasse.
    That is actually quite a cool idea. A period set 60s Japanese espionage TV show built around Tanaka. Doubt it would have much appeal beyond hardcore fans though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Getafix wrote: »
    That is actually quite a cool idea. A period set 60s Japanese espionage TV show built around Tanaka. Doubt it would have much appeal beyond hardcore fans though.
    That's true. Probably not a great business decision. As for Golding, I can't see it. I've seen him in a few things before, and think his acting is sub-par.

No.

Fair enough. But to me, the positive way of looking at that would be that he would age well. He's only 40. And he can act. I found him very convincing in the show mentioned above. My only other exposure to him was his performance Control, which was also good albeit an entirely different beast.

I'm sure he can act, but he's not only 40: he's already 40. Bond 26 will not start shooting this year or the next. Theoretically Craig is still Bond. By the time his successor is chosen actors who are now in their early forties will probably be over 45. Yes, yes, Moore was 45, but in a very different time for cinema and the Bond franchise.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I wish Kit Harington was a bit taller cause I actually think he has a lot of potential :)
    gettyimages-1176432612.jpg
    2019-09-22t231036z_976106837_hp1ef9m1sdogu_rtrmadp_3_awards-emmys.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

No.

I'm sure he can act, but he's not only 40: he's already 40. Bond 26 will not start shooting this year or the next. Theoretically Craig is still Bond. By the time his successor is chosen actors who are now in their early forties will probably be over 45. Yes, yes, Moore was 45, but in a very different time for cinema and the Bond franchise.

Conceded, @Ludovico. Good points, well made.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't know where else to post this so I'm gonna put it here. I did a fan casting list for Bond 26, with my suggestions for a whole new cast. I've actually decided to use Aidan Turner as he seems the most popular choice here, and don't wanna make this list about that.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls099027175/