Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    It really is a shame to me that Michael Fassbender is too old now. Would have loved him in the role.
    Univex wrote: »
    Sam Heughan for a return to a Scott playing Bond. Guy even has his own whiskey brand.
    Besides, he reminds me a bit of Iain Glen and Roger Moore. And Caitriona Balfe could be his Bond girl ;) And he's a good actor. Good PR fella too. What do you say, ladies and lassies? He looks like a Andrew Bond/Monique Delacroix son, you know, a Glencoe father and a Swiss mother. And I bet he can raise his eyebrow properly. And has a distinguishable deep voice. And...has auditioned already in 2005, when he was 27. Damn, he's 40 now. But hey, Bond shouldn't be played by a 20 year old, nor a 30 year old, IMO. This guy would do. He's a bit too tall, though.

s2sMzEr5_400x400.jpg
    ENdVnc_WsAAic6O.jpg
    Sam_Mar2020_0077.CR2_.p-768x1024.jpg

Agree with @talos7, definitely has potential. Still seems to err a little on the young-looking side, but the next Bond actor won't get in the tux for probably another decade, lol, so he'd have my vote.

He looks 100% Scandinavian to me which means a no from me.

He most certainly does not. He looks Scottish. Do you think producers would choose a Scandinavian looking actor to play a quintessential Scott in a big production like Outlander?

Aidan Turner looks far more foreign. Which isn't a bad thing, as Bond had something of a foreigner in him. But Heughan looks as Briton as one could ever look.

Hey, I've been a Turner supporter for a long time, but I'm also offering some alternatives here. Probably none of them will be Bond, mind you. They're all too old already.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,983
    Agent_One wrote: »
    It really is a shame to me that Michael Fassbender is too old now. Would have loved him in the role.

Yes he's pretty perfect. I guess he's still only on the cusp of 'too old' but I suppose they'd want someone they can use for longer.
    mtm wrote: »

Yes he's pretty perfect. I guess he's still only on the cusp of 'too old' but I suppose they'd want someone they can use for longer.

The thing is, Bond 26 is likely 4-6 years away, and that same gap would likely be between each entry in No. 6's tenure. By the time the next film comes out, Fassbender will be older than Moore when he started at 46.
    We don't know the future but my honest hope is a trilogy with Fassbender 2022, 2024 and 2026. maybe even with the following titles

Risico
    A whisper of Love A whisper of hate
    Shatterhand

but that is just my hope
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    There won't a film in 2022 :/
    I wouldn't be suprised if NTTD comes out in 2022...
    I wouldn't be suprised if NTTD comes out in 2022...

Well first it will get pushed to 2021 befoe we get to 2022
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    My top choice is officially Aaron Taylor-Johnson. He'll be around 35 by the time Bond 26 will probably be made at this point. A well proven actor (despite some odd projects here and there), and he's a very charismatic guy.

082c22f9f74e616926cfd33f9a922ec0.jpg
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Risico007 wrote: »
    We don't know the future but my honest hope is a trilogy with Fassbender 2022, 2024 and 2026. maybe even with the following titles

Risico
    A whisper of Love A whisper of hate
    Shatterhand

but that is just my hope

Sounds good to me 👍
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Denbigh wrote: »
    My top choice is officially Aaron Taylor-Johnson. He'll be around 35 by the time Bond 26 will probably be made at this point. A well proven actor (despite some odd projects here and there), and he's a very charismatic guy.

I want to hate this idea......but I really loved his performance in Nocturnal Animals. He was truly so frightening. I'm going to reserve judgement till I've seen Tenet (hopefully in July!).

I recently watched Seberg. I think Jack O'Connell really popped on screen - he's got a swagger, a slightly brutish demeanour and he's very handsome/rugged. His role in Seberg is a little stilted and flaccid (much like the movie) whilst O'Connell is more of an alive and edgy performer. But if anyone wanted to watch a seriously gorgeous film (with stunning photography, sets, costumes, hair and make-up) and see a hint of O'Connell's Bond audition, then check out Seberg.....

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB7_.jpg

I also recently watched My Dinner with Herve (which is bloody excellent!) and I have to say I think Jamie Dornan is a good actor. He is absurdly beautiful and can really do emotion. Plus, one thing he has is a real natural charm. Perhaps it's that Irish accent, but he's funny, sexy and a good dramatic actor. He's the right age and height. I think he's the best shout. Plus he looks like a Bond for 2022 (the franchise's 60th anniversary).....

EWXTpV6WAAIwCs9.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I want to hate this idea......but I really loved his performance in Nocturnal Animals. He was truly so frightening. I'm going to reserve judgement till I've seen Tenet (hopefully in July!).

I recently watched Seberg. I think Jack O'Connell really popped on screen - he's got a swagger, a slightly brutish demeanour and he's very handsome/rugged. His role in Seberg is a little stilted and flaccid (much like the movie) whilst O'Connell is more of an alive and edgy performer. But if anyone wanted to watch a seriously gorgeous film (with stunning photography, sets, costumes, hair and make-up) and see a hint of O'Connell's Bond audition, then check out Seberg.....
    Oh nice one @Pierce2Daniel, yeah it's a strange film, but O'Connell is great, and his height is the only thing that'll get in his way I guess. As for Aaron, his more recent projects are great. You should check out his performance in Outlaw King too, and yes can't wait for him in Tenet. He's also meant to be in The King's Man as well. Two projects he could easily prove his Bond-worth in, and just time for a new Bond casting.

Just look at those eyes in this picture from Outlaw King. I'd honestly pay good money to see this guy play Fleming's creation.

outlaw-king-aaron-taylor-johnson.jpg
    He's got this awful high pitched voice. That's the thing I don't like about him. And...I always thought he was American, don't ask me why.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Also he could definitely handle the action more than most Bonds, with very good acrobatic and dance skills, and he would definitely look good in the FRWL audition scene haha :D
    As for his voice @Univex, if that's the only thing holding him back, as it's an acting role, I think he still has a good chance. Also he's from High Wycombe.

showbiz-aaron-taylor-johnson-mens-health-1.jpg?resize=768:*
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He's got this awful high pitched voice. That's the thing I don't like about him. And...I always thought he was American, don't ask me why.

And has the charisma of a block of wood.

• Agent_One wrote: »

I may have say it earlier, but if Eon decides to continue with Craig’s continuity and not make Bond 26 a hard or even a soft reboot, I imagine production could start quickly and in this case Fassbender would be the best candidate. He has something physically of Craig's Bond, he looks a bit like him, while being slightly younger. Thus, he could ideally star in three films... Even if I doubt that such a direction is most likely.

I may have say it earlier, but if Eon decides to continue with Craig’s continuity and not make Bond 26 a hard or even a soft reboot, I imagine production could start quickly and in this case Fassbender would be the best candidate. He has something physically of Craig's Bond, he looks a bit like him, while being slightly younger. Thus, he could ideally star in three films... Even if I doubt that such a direction is most likely.

It's feasible...if they do aim for 2022 then Fassbender would be 44/45 (the oldest actor to play Bond). Which would limit his longevity in the role. He was looking a bit ropey in 2019....but if he cut his hair and had a shave, then I'd advocate him appearing.

michael_fassbender_7_pelxculas_que_no_te_puedes_perder_cumpleaxos_1.jpg_554688468.jpg

Personally, if you're looking for a charming Irish actor then Jamie Dornan is the man. I think Dornan is due a resurgence as he is suffering from the Robert Pattinson-syndrome. He's actually a very good actor and he is more than just a Fifty Shades actor.

e72b1277c626ba632b5f0cd2b055bab8.jpg

2.39229329.jpg

Jamie-Dornan-says-Dakota-Johnson-is-almost-like-a-sister.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    What about this pic @Pierce2Daniel? This is very classic Bond :)

Movies-TV-Shows-Jamie-Dornan-Has-Been.png
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    I don't dislike Dornan, but he is a bit common looking, and again, no distinguishable voice.

But hey, I've been proposing new people, so don't any of you guys come saying I'm a Turner fanboy ;) I mean it.

But yeah, Dornan isn't a bad choice, specially with a shaved face, which is as rare for him as it is for Turner. These youngsters and their lack of grooming... :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah of this bunch O'Connell seems the best on screen to me.
  • It's feasible...if they do aim for 2022 then Fassbender would be 44/45 (the oldest actor to play Bond).
    It all depends again on the direction taken, but if this is to offer a sequel to the films with Craig, then an exit in 2022 is possible, even if unlikely. A hiatus would be necessary to allow the audience to forget Craig and accept a new iteration; but, if the said iteration is to be seen as a follow-up, it would be preferable, on the contrary, to continue in stride. Where Fassbender is an interesting choice in such a situation is that it is a popular actor and could easily, in my mind, be accepted as Craig's successor, as opposed to an unknown. But, again, I don't think Eon will follow this route.
    Fassbender will never be James Bond. The closest we'll have of him as a sort of sophisticated cruel agent will be that scene in First Class, the tooth scene I mean. The ship has sailed for him, I'm afraid.

Heughan is already too old for it as well. Although I still think he could do a Moore kind of Bond nicely. Eyebrow and all.

c3c53e091855458ca20657eae07fcb3e.jpg

Even Turner is getting older by the minute. The pics we usually use of him are now 5 years old. Like this one:

sbbif12b.jpg
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    The next actor will very likely be someone none of us expect. I mean, who would've thought Craig would succeed Brosnan? Clive Owen was very much the favourite at the time.
    Neither Sam Heughan or Aidan Turner do it for me.....they feel like TV actors destined to stay on the small screen.
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah of this bunch O'Connell seems the best on screen to me.

Agreed. Jack O'Connell is the most magnetic, charismatic performer with screen presence on show. However, he is a little short......But I imagine Barbara is in awe of his performance in Seberg, 71 and Starred Up and saying "Get me him!" Only for a 5'8" actor to turn up.....but he was my favourite for a while until people convinced me that he was too short. Which I may agree.

jack-oconnell.jpg

He's got big arms here......

MV5BM2QyMDZmNjUtYjM1Yi00NTcwLWIwMDgtY2U2ZGY1MzEyZDRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTkxNDk3ODM@._V1_.jpg

But he's little - also someone should cast Zazie Beetz and Margaret Qualley in Bond 26:

jack-oconnell-kristen-stewart-director-benedict-andrews-zazie-beetz-picture-id1171196444?s=612x612
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Someone should cast Zazie Beetz and Margaret Qualley in Bond 26
    I'd watch that, and if O'Connell or Taylor-Johnson were the James Bond - even better.
    Watched a couple of O'Connell's interviews. He sounds dumb. Really, his answers are pathetic most of the time. And he complements each sentence with "ya", "yeah", "like". Cmon gents, do we really want that sort of fella as a gentleman spy? I know he's an actor, but come on...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    5'8" is a bit short I agree.. I'd definitely take a strong leading actor who's two inches shorter than a bland one though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Craig isn't exactly the most eloquent person in interviews.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Craig isn't exactly the most eloquent person in interviews.

But he doesn't sound dumb. And he doesn't butcher the Queen's english.
    Neither Sam Heughan or Aidan Turner do it for me.....they feel like TV actors destined to stay on the small screen.
    [/img]

Both have already successfully transitioned for the big screen. Apart from that, you do understand that most great British actors have made their careers on stage and on tv, don't you? The best players Britain has ever had, have been stage and tv players who, in some cases, have had the luck to be picked up by major film studios, mostly for baddies roles and cliché crap. But they are brilliant actors nonetheless. Being so dismissive about tv actors in Britain is a big mistake, if you ask me. Now, if you're talking about American tv actors, that's another thing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Watched a couple of O'Connell's interviews. He sounds dumb. Really, his answers are pathetic most of the time. And he complements each sentence with "ya", "yeah", "like". Cmon gents, do we really want that sort of fella as a gentleman spy? I know he's an actor, but come on...

I don't see the relevance.