Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Univex wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Craig isn't exactly the most eloquent person in interviews.

But he doesn't sound dumb. And he doesn't butcher the Queen's english.
    I think that's just a matter of opinion to be honest. I don't think he sounds dumb at all.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    mtm wrote: »
    Watched a couple of O'Connell's interviews. He sounds dumb. Really, his answers are pathetic most of the time. And he complements each sentence with "ya", "yeah", "like". Cmon gents, do we really want that sort of fella as a gentleman spy? I know he's an actor, but come on...

I don't see the relevance.

I can give you the name of my occultist ;)

Seriously? I'm ok with an actor being whatever he wants to be in his own time, but dumb? Or someone who doesn't speak properly? That really bothers me. But hey, you're a lucky fella if that doesn't bother you. Most people can't speak or write properly, anyway. So why bother, right?

I always loved Dalton's interviews. Cigarette in hand, rolling his welsh accent, very poised and for the most part, very smart. Moore's a perfect gentleman and his English is flawless. Even Connery knew how to do the dance, and Pierce was a natural talker. Craig is extremely polite and reserved.

I wouldn't imagine the likes of Hardy or O'Connell being on that level.

But if that's not relevant for you, then lucky you.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,993
    Watched a couple of O'Connell's interviews. He sounds dumb. Really, his answers are pathetic most of the time. And he complements each sentence with "ya", "yeah", "like". Cmon gents, do we really want that sort of fella as a gentleman spy? I know he's an actor, but come on...

I don't see the relevance.

I can give you the name of my occultist ;)

Why would I need to consult the dead?
    Seriously? I'm ok with an actor being whatever he wants to be in his own time, but dumb? Or someone who doesn't speak properly? That really bothers me. But hey, you're a lucky fella if that doesn't bother you. Most people can't speak or write properly, anyway. So why bother, right?

I always loved Dalton's interviews. Cigarette in hand, rolling his welsh accent, very poised and for the most part, very smart. Moore's a perfect gentleman and his English is flawless. Even Connery knew how to do the dance, and Pierce was a natural talker. Craig is extremely polite and reserved.

I wouldn't imagine the likes of Hardy or O'Connell being on that level.

But if that's not relevant for you, then lucky you.

I think it's just normal not to care how actors talk when I'm not watching them. Or to be able to tell a Welsh accent from a Derbyshire one... ;)

And Pierce is a natural talker?

EWSq2j8WoAcA4z_?format=jpg&name=large

I'm very fond of him but he does mainly talk nonsense (when he can think of anything to say), bless him.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,131
    5'8" is a bit short I agree.. I'd definitely take a strong leading actor who's two inches shorter than a bland one though.

Just reject both then. O’Connell is more suited to a remake of ‘Willow’ than Bond.
    What about this pic @Pierce2Daniel? This is very classic Bond :)

Movies-TV-Shows-Jamie-Dornan-Has-Been.png

He’s a plank of wood though. I’ve seen him in 50 shades....lacks the charisma for Bond.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    suavejmf wrote: »

He’s a plank of wood though. I’ve seen him in 50 shades....lacks the charisma for Bond.

Yes. Just watched 50 Shades Freed, and this man cannot act. You can blame the material all you want (and it's justified), but there are actors that can turn bad material into something worthwhile. Dornan is not that actor.

Yes. Just watched 50 Shades Freed, and this man cannot act. You can blame the material all you want (and it's justified), but there are actors that can turn bad material into something worthwhile. Dornan is not that actor.

Exactly 👍. Wooden.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Stuart Martin with his dicky out and rocking a Connery vibe.

But how old does he look without the beard?

MV5BZDBkMDM5Y2EtYTc1MC00MzFmLTk1YzUtMjI5M2JjOTdmYWM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

MV5BNGQ5NzA2MDUtZTM1OS00M2I4LWE4OTQtYWM1MGFmMTIwMjJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Haven't seen him act before, but he's got the right look, IMO.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

Please, no.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Yes, I have been saying this for a while, if you want to see an actor's potential, always looks at his worst film's not his best and how they can turn a bad script into worse or better by his acting skills.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited May 2020 Posts: 1,318
    Sam Heughan for a return to a Scott playing Bond. Guy even has his own whiskey brand.
    Besides, he reminds me a bit of Iain Glen and Roger Moore. And Caitriona Balfe could be his Bond girl ;) And he's a good actor. Good PR fella too. What do you say, ladies and lassies? He looks like a Andrew Bond/Monique Delacroix son, you know, a Glencoe father and a Swiss mother. And I bet he can raise his eyebrow properly. And has a distinguishable deep voice. And...has auditioned already in 2005, when he was 27. Damn, he's 40 now. But hey, Bond shouldn't be played by a 20 year old, nor a 30 year old, IMO. This guy would do. He's a bit too tall, though.

s2sMzEr5_400x400.jpg
    ENdVnc_WsAAic6O.jpg
    Sam_Mar2020_0077.CR2_.p-768x1024.jpg

Agree with @talos7, definitely has potential. Still seems to err a little on the young-looking side, but the next Bond actor won't get in the tux for probably another decade, lol, so he'd have my vote.

He looks 100% Scandinavian to me which means a no from me.

He most certainly does not. He looks Scottish. Do you think producers would choose a Scandinavian looking actor to play a quintessential Scott in a big production like Outlander?

Aidan Turner looks far more foreign. Which isn't a bad thing, as Bond had something of a foreigner in him. But Heughan looks as Briton as one could ever look.

Hey, I've been a Turner supporter for a long time, but I'm also offering some alternatives here. Probably none of them will be Bond, mind you. They're all too old already.

Dear @Univex I have lived in Sweden a couple of years and travelled through most of Scandinavia. Trust me when I say I have seen at least 20 exact copies of Heughan there. He certainly doesn't strike me as typically Scottish looking. The blonde hair, broad and high forehead, square jaw, smallish nose, even the blue eyes, hell he should be the next Thor.

Outlander_premiere_episode_screening_at_92nd_Street_Y_in_New_York_08_%28crop%29.jpg

2cde047d5489467a2bfcd4259fdfd336.jpg
    Ok, I won't disagree. Although I see your Scandinavian Heughan and I raise you a Latin Turner. If he started to speak Spanish or Portuguese I wouldn't be at all surprised ;)

tumblr_li6fgwze631qa7w9wo1_500.jpg?w=500

The thing is, James Bond had something of a foreigner in him, so any one of them is a valid candidate. Or was, before Covid.

Mind you, I'm still a Turner supporter. I just wanted to throw some new names into the hat, for variety's sake.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,993

Yes, I have been saying this for a while, if you want to see an actor's potential, always looks at his worst film's not his best and how they can turn a bad script into worse or better by his acting skills.

That's a good way of looking at it.

I watched a good chunk of 'On The Fiddle' from 1961 on Talking Pictures TV last week, apparently the film that Broccolli and Saltzman saw and made them think Connery could be worth a go, and even though it's a fairly average British matinee sort of thing (and I know there's a good dose of hindsight going in) Connery is rather good in it. He doesn't leap off the screen but.. you can tell he's good and showing quite a large range, from comedy to romance to even a bit of action.
    Pretty sure he's wearing a hairpiece even then though! :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    The thing is, James Bond had something of a foreigner in him, so any one of them is a valid candidate. Or was, before Covid.
    That's true and tbh, anyone whose a male actor currently around 25 - 40 is a valid candidate really, because EON can decide to go any way with it.

I think when they're casting, they just look for a good look and a good actor. All the other stuff is bonus. They've considered Americans before, they've cast an Australian before. They're probably gonna consider actors of colour, and may even consider people that aren't' as tall as usual. It's all subjective, and it's all heavily dependant on what Bond 26 is actually gonna be.

Although I do think we have a point looking at the "younger" actors in their 30s considering how No Time to Die isn't even out yet, and Bond 26 probably won't be in our laps until around 2024 - 2025 if we're lucky.

My top three British choices are Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Jack O'Connell, and Callum Turner, but if they are happy to cast an American who could pull it off, and have them do an accent, then Christopher Abbott please.

c22_102_ps1150-01013rt_wide-68bfa57add87210263b7492d333edea02e8939ee.jpg
    Sorry - but Heughan doesn't have the 'it' factor. There's just something remarkably normal about him. I don't think he's destined to be a leading man. He's just a bit vanilla and uninspiring.

Aidan Turner has potential - but much like Heughan feels too small an actor. Someone not destined for the lights of leading man status.

I understand the gripes with Dornan. I haven't seen Fifty Shade (and have little interest) and can imagine his performance is woeful. But Dornan has earned huge plaudits for his performance in The Fall and My Dinner with Herve. He's making a bit of name in indie cinema (albeit not that big a name) but he has potential.

He's devastating handsome, has something quite edgy and almost sociopatheic about his look. He's grown out of his pretty boy look and seems like someone that is famous enough to get attention but not too famous to distract from the franchise.

Also, when he performs in his natural accent he is instantly enigmatic and sexy. I could be very happy to see him as 007.

We may even get a Bond with a beard (or perhaps stubble).....

5ae9e42fbd967121008b45a2?width=1100&format=jpeg&auto=webp
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @Pierce2Daniel I'm still not too keen on Dornan, but as for Fifty Shades of Grey, I'd happily take Dakota Johnson as a future Bond girl. She's becoming a great and very popular actress.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Dornan is more suited for psycho than suave ; he has "crazy" eyes.

One quality needed on which most of us can agree is a good, deep, commanding voice; unfortunately this is a quality sorely missing today in so many young actors. Far too many have thin, high pitched, weak voices.
    talos7 wrote: »
    One quality needed on which most of us can agree is a good, deep, commanding voice; unfortunately this is a quality sorely missing today in so many young actors. Far too many have thin, high pitched, weak voices.

That's true. But some of the suggested candidates do have good voices. Turner, Heughan, Hemsworth,...

But you're absolutely right, the voice is a very, very important element. I usually say that I was sold on Craig the minute I heard his opening monologue in Layer Cake.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @talos7 @Univex Callum Turner has very strong London accent and sounds good, deep, and commanding in my opinion. I see a mixture of Pierce and Roger in his look. He's 30 years old. 6' 1½". He's also adapted his voice for other types of British accents, like in Fantastic Beasts for example. Also, anyone who can convincingly charm Kate Beckinsale has a shot at being Bond, although he is using an American there but still.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @talos7 @Univex Callum Turner has very strong London accent and sounds good, deep, and commanding in my opinion. I see a mixture of Pierce and Roger in his look. He's 30 years old. 6' 1½". He's also adapted his voice for other types of British accents, like in Fantastic Beasts for example. Also, anyone who can convincingly charm Kate Beckinsale has a shot at being Bond, although he is using an American there but still.

I’m sorry, I just don’t see it at all; in fact few suggestions have been less suitable.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I’m sorry, I just don’t see it at all; in fact few suggestions have been less suitable.
    Still a possibility.

Still a possibility.

I like his voice. Unfortunately, he looks like my arch nemesis from when I was 6 years old :) So, he could never have my support. Oh well, life, right? But, he does have the voice for it. No doubt about that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I watched him in The Capture and the thought did cross my mind as he's the right age and general type, but I didn't see it in him.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yes I watched him in The Capture and the thought did cross my mind as he's the right age and general type, but I didn't see it in him.
    @mtm If he was to be cast tomorrow, I probably wouldn't suggest him, but keeping in mind how long it'll be before anyone is cast, I think he has serious potential.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Still a possibility.

I like his voice. Unfortunately, he looks like my arch nemesis from when I was 6 years old :) So, he could never have my support. Oh well, life, right? But, he does have the voice for it. No doubt about that.

He does look like he is six years old.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Callum (looks-wise) to me is just at the stage Brosnan was at when he was considered to be James Bond in The Living Daylights. Give him a few more years, and I bet he'll be ready to be Bond. His acting and voice is already there so that can only improve too.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    If he was to be cast tomorrow, I probably wouldn't suggest him, but keeping in mind how long it'll be before anyone is cast, I think he has serious potential.
    Given the likely hiatus before Bond 26, it is indeed unlikely that the actor ultimately chosen is today particularly known or in his 40s, or even approches this age, as is the case with most of the suggestions here. As you say it, it will take a long time before anyone is cast and it's possible that the new Bond is not known from us today. Keeping this in mind, I'm open to the Callum Turner suggestion, even if it is far from being my first choice.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    And the guy went out with Vanessa Kirby, who would be the ultimate Bond girl...

...so he's obviously good with the ladies haha :D

47A95F5200000578-0-image-a-119_1514736644762.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @mtm If he was to be cast tomorrow, I probably wouldn't suggest him, but keeping in mind how long it'll be before anyone is cast, I think he has serious potential.

I just didn't find him a particularly striking lead. He's a good actor.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited May 2020 Posts: 1,318
    Ok, I won't disagree. Although I see your Scandinavian Heughan and I raise you a Latin Turner. If he started to speak Spanish or Portuguese I wouldn't be at all surprised ;)

tumblr_li6fgwze631qa7w9wo1_500.jpg?w=500

Mind you, I'm still a Turner supporter. I just wanted to throw some new names into the hat, for variety's sake.

Ha, but that can be explained, I present to you the Black Irish. It's an interesting history lesson. I wouldn't be surprised if Brosnan is a 'Black Irish' descendant (let alone Colin Farrell). Mind you, as you know, Bond has dark hair which contributes to his mysterious look somewhat. Blonde guys just don't cut it for me.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/who-were-the-black-irish