Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Then if the restrictions put forward are to be so then my choices are Callum Turner (30) or Aaron Taylor-Johnson (29). I still would prefer a younger Bond to create a newer dynamic. Callum is 6"2, and Aaron is 5"11. Both white, both British, with Aaron I'd saying having the more proven range out of the two, but Callum certainly has an edge to him that I think could be interesting. Both also have very adaptable British accents.

I'm actually especially interested to see Aaron's role in Tenet.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Then if the restrictions put forward are to be so then my choices are Callum Turner (30) or Aaron Taylor-Johnson (29). I still would prefer a younger Bond to create a newer dynamic. Callum is 6"2, and Aaron is 5"11. Both white, both British, with Aaron I'd saying having the more proven range out of the two, but Callum certainly has an edge to him that I think could be interesting. Both also have very adaptable British accents.

If I HAD to pick between those two only, I would go for Taylor Johnson. Looks wise, Callum Turner isn’t a Bond. Too fey IMO.
  • Out of all these candidates discussed, I feel Madden would be the one to deliver a knock-out performance like Craig did in 2006 and immediately become a popular Bond.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    The height debate is really superfluous. Daniel Craig isn't the tallest of chaps, he looked noticeably shorter than both Berenice and Naomie at the SF press conference. He's clearly not self-conscious or egotistic enough to ask them not to wear heels.

daniel-craig.jpg

Craig is the same height as Richard Madden. Also, we need to stop talking about Callum Turner. He's not close to handsome enough to be James Bond. Looks like a boring posh boy. Not cool enough to be 007. Meanwhile, Madden has sex appeal to spare...

richard-madden_gq-men-of-the-year-awards-2019_2019-1800x1200.jpg

Aaron Taylor Johnson has potential....but he has starred in such a series of lacklustre films that I can't get excited by his name. After giving such dull performances in Godzilla and Avengers, I really would be happy not to see him again. However, let's see what he does in Tenet. Though I confess that he was very good in Nocturnal Animals (in fact, he was terrific).

AP1108295-1.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I can see why people aren't too keen on Callum @suavejmf but I I just see something there. I see a younger version of Fleming's Bond. And I agree your thoughts on Madden @Pierce2Daniel I just don't think he's ever resonated with me as much as Aaron.

df134053f41f08420009bc9ace04ce62.jpg
    Is the height debate really superfluous? I think it matters big time that the actor is tall and imposing as Bond, not just imposing.

I'm Craig's height myself, and an actor shorter than that would just look silly, IMO. Even Craig's height is on the shorter side.
    Is the height debate really superfluous? I think it matters big time that the actor is tall and imposing as Bond, not just imposing.

I'm Craig's height myself, and an actor shorter than that would just look silly, IMO. Even Craig's height is on the shorter side.

Ditto and +1.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I suppose the height is as important an aspect to the character to some people as any other physical trait is. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't think it important, too. But I wouldn't label their thoughts superfluous.

I'm sure they would cast actresses that would be appropriate to the look and feel of the leading man, of course - just as they've always done.

Of the names thrown forward, including a couple of my own, I would still put Madden as my personal favourite. He has strong screen presence, a good look, is a good actor, is believable physically, and he's the same height as Craig (as far as I know).
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

There isn't any restrictions just preference and i like Aaron but he haven't really strike me much from what i have seen so far. He is good looking guy, is there any film where he shows anything Bondian? , i would love to see it.
    I suppose the height is as important an aspect to the character to some people as any other physical trait is. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't think it important, too. But I wouldn't label their thoughts superfluous.

I'm sure they would cast actresses that would be appropriate to the look and feel of the leading man, of course - just as they've always done.

Of the names thrown forward, including a couple of my own, I would still put Madden as my personal favourite. He has strong screen presence, a good look, is a good actor, is believable physically, and he's the same height as Craig (as far as I know).

No, not superfluous, as i said just preference. I didn't knew Madden is as tall as Craig as far as i have seen him in pictures. I agree about Madden, he has serious potential, would be my 2nd after Turner. Do we have any official confirmation about his height or is there any site where we can actually find out?
    Don't worry @Resurrection, I wasn't referring to you there.

I remember reading that Madden was 5'10", but this has him as 5'9" and a bit.

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Richard-Madden-5066.html
  • Isn't Madden too famous for playing the role today? Beside Game of Thrones, he will soon be staring in a Marvel Studios movie, two elements which give him worldwide recognition of which no actor who has previously interpreted the role could really boast.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

There isn't any restrictions just preference and i like Aaron but he haven't really strike me much from what i have seen so far. He is good looking guy, is there any film where he shows anything Bondian? i would love to see it.
    @Resurrection While nothing Bondian yet tbh (his upcoming roles in Tenet and The King's Man may change that), two performances of his that have always stood out to me in his career are his roles in Nocturnal Animals and Outlaw King. I posted clips before but I'll do it again.

Madden is worth a screen test IMO. He would need to tone down that ‘Glasgow drawl’ to a softer tone.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Madden is worth a screen test IMO. He would need to tone down that ‘Glasgow drawl’ to a softer tone.

I didn't actually realise he was Scottish until after I'd seen him in a couple of things, so he can tone the accent down for sure. The first thing I ever saw him in was The Take, where he played an American opposite Idris Elba's CIA agent.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    richard-madden-02-gq-23nov18_b.jpg

I didn't actually realise he was Scottish until after I'd seen him in a couple of things, so he can tone the accent down for sure. The first thing I ever saw him in was The Take, where he played an American opposite Idris Elba's CIA agent.

He’s extremely broad Scottish in interviews and ‘The Bodyguard.’ I cant remember him having a Scottish accent in GOT as you say.

He’s extremely broad Scottish in interviews and ‘The Bodyguard.’ I cant remember him having a Scottish accent in GOT as you say.

Yeah, it was nice to hear his natural accent in The Bodyguard. It would actually nice to hear a bit of that Scottish twang in Bond again, but softened, as you mentioned.

Yeah, it was nice to hear his natural accent in The Bodyguard. It would actually nice to hear a bit of that Scottish twang in Bond again, but softened, as you mentioned.

Agreed.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Madden to me is just another Leiter or another OO agent. There is a thing called the Bond "X" factor and to me he doesn't have it. All actors save from Lazenby and Craig had it, to me and quite some others. Hardly any actors mentioned in this thread have this magical X factor, which is essential to play and "be" Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Madden to me is just another Leiter or another OO agent. There is a thing called the Bond "X" factor and to me he doesn't have it. All actors save from Lazenby and Craig had it, to me and quite some others. Hardly any actors mentioned in this thread have this magical X factor, which is essential to play and "be" Bond.
    Let me guess, apart from Aidan? I do wonder what this "X" factor consists of?
  • Yeah, it was nice to hear his natural accent in The Bodyguard. It would actually nice to hear a bit of that Scottish twang in Bond again, but softened, as you mentioned.

If you'd like to hear the return of the Scottish burr then check out Stuart Martin.

edited April 2020 Posts: 1,318

It's partially linked to 'men want to be him, women want to be with him'. That type of man, which in this case also has all the elements necessary to be Bond. Natural charisma is essential, so is confidence and dashingly good looks but with a dangerous/ mysterious twist, inherently to the actor. Basically these contenders are more 'blessed' than 99% of the competition. Basically a one off. Leader of the pack is Connery, closely followed by the other Bonds.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

It's partially linked to 'men want to be him, women want to be with him'. That type of man, which in this case also has all the elements necessary to be Bond. Natural charisma is essential, so is confidence and dashingly good looks but with a dangerous/ mysterious twist, inherently to the actor. Basically these contenders are more 'blessed' than 99% of the competition. Basically a one off. Leader of the pack is Connery, closely followed by the other Bonds.
    The issue there is not everyones going to think that about the same person. You might not think that of Lazenby and Craig, but others do, so its always gonna be tricky to achieve.

Also for those wanting to see how Aaron Taylor-Johnson might look in a Bond film, we'll just have to wait for Tenet. I found this set pic:
    Nolan-Tenet-Set-Photo-112.jpg
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Don't worry @Resurrection, I wasn't referring to you there.

I remember reading that Madden was 5'10", but this has him as 5'9" and a bit.

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Richard-Madden-5066.html

I know you didn't referring to me ;)
    It's interesting to know that he is actually 5"9 . I always had doubt about his height.

Madden & Turner are head to head for me at the moment, the only thing that keeps Turner above him is his height & the fact that Turner is still not much popular yet compare to Madden. Although @Herr_Stockmann raised a good point about his game of thrones character and the fact that he is working with Marvel is going to get in his way to become bond.

There isn't any restrictions just preference and i like Aaron but he haven't really strike me much from what i have seen so far. He is good looking guy, is there any film where he shows anything Bondian? i would love to see it.
    @Resurrection While nothing Bondian yet tbh (his upcoming roles in Tenet and The King's Man may change that), two performances of his that have always stood out to me in his career are his roles in Nocturnal Animals and Outlaw King. I posted clips before but I'll do it again.

I have seen nocturnal animals and he was fine in it, haven't watched outlaw king yet. Will watch it this Sunday and see if he is up to it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I have seen nocturnal animals and he was fine in it, haven't watched outlaw king yet. Will watch it this Sunday and see if he is up to it.
    Definitely do @Resurrection Like I said these are very obscure films to look at as they obviously don't represent how Bondian he could be, but I definitely think this guy has too many positives to not consider. His proven acting range, whikh compared to other actors suggested seems a lot more varied. Turner and Madden are really good actors yes, but we've always seen them play the same kind of person so far, whereas for me, Taylor-Johnson offers something for me that makes that possibility more exiting and less predictable. If that makes sense.

The issue there is not everyones going to think that about the same person. You might not think that of Lazenby and Craig, but others do, so its always gonna be tricky to achieve.

Also for those wanting to see how Aaron Taylor-Johnson might look in a Bond film, we'll just have to wait for Tenet. I found this set pic:

It's only partially subjective. Also, one could argue, regarding the poll, most Mi6 members agree that A. Turner fits this mold the best. There is a thing called a consensus. Also, most people agree that Connery to this very day is the quintessential Bond, nigh impossible to beat. Indeed there are preferences and they may change, but Bond is a literary character which means it's black on white and some men fit the bill just better than others. Apart from that, Connery has laid the foundation, but also because he had all the natural characteristics that are desired by both men and women in their own way. Basically Bond is a blend of Fleming and Connery, but also what both men and women seem to desire, generally speaking.

One could argue there is a literary/ conservative camp, of which the above could be applied to. People who prefer Craig, Johnson, Madden seem to have a more experimental/ progressive/ left field type of vision but this strays from the literary works and the foundation Connery et al have laid. For example, I have never really liked Craig. From the beginning until now. I do not consider him to be a true Bond, simple as that.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Also, one could argue, regarding the poll, most Mi6 members agree that A. Turner fits this mould the best.
    But I think this is why me and some others members point out the idea of sensible and safe not being a positive thing. Yes, most MI6 members did vote for him, but is that because he would be the best person for the job or because it's easier to visualise him with all the material we have compared to actors who haven't had that "Bond-esque" moment?

Let's be honest, before Casino Royale, no-one would've imagined Craig as James Bond, and probably wouldn't have even entered the votes. Everyone was focused on Clive Owen, because for them he was best for the job, they could see it and it became the consensus of fans, and EON going for a more left field choice, which is what I think would be better for the new era. No-ones saying he'd be a bad Bond, just that I don't think he'd be a very new or fresh Bond. Also, like I've said before, Turner for me would be better suited to a more faithful retelling of Fleming's work, which isn't where I see the franchise going

Again, the pure range Aaron Taylor-Johnson has had during his career, while only being 29, excites me more than Aidan could. A bit younger Bond than usual, even if he'd be around mid-30s by the time I imagine this film is actually made, would be something new and fresh, and would hopefully some new dynamics that we haven't seen too much of before.

And lol @JeremyBondon just saw your edited comment. I do agree, although I still think Madden and Johnson could still easily represent that traditional Bond, while honouring the modern era we're in.

Also, one could argue, regarding the poll, most Mi6 members agree that A. Turner fits this mould the best.
    But I think this is why me and some others members point out the idea of sensible and safe not being a positive thing. Yes, most MI6 members did vote for him, but is that because he would be the best person for the job or because it's easier to visualise him with all the material we have compared to actors who haven't had that "Bond-esque" moment?

Let's be honest, before Casino Royale, no-one would've imagined Craig as James Bond, and probably wouldn't have even entered the votes. Everyone was focused on Clive Owen, because for them he was best for the job, they could see it and it became the consensus of fans, which led to EON going for a more left field choice, which is what I think would be better for the new era. No-ones saying he'd be a bad Bond, just that I don't think he'd be a very new or fresh Bond.

Just because you find the proposition of Turner being safe and sensible doesn't mean it is. To me he is neither safe nor particularly sensible. Perhaps conservative in regards to the elements I have described above, but those are rare. There are far more options in the left field camp, because they do not fit the typical Bond mold. I am, with many others, in search of a true Bond, which is an amalgamation of both Fleming his literary work and Connery his work. Turner has those elements.
    Also, like I've said before, Turner for me would be better suited to a more faithful retelling of Fleming's work, which isn't where I see the franchise going

I reckon Turner could give Johnson a run for his money in both a period Bond film and modern. At the end of the day it's to each his own, for different reasons, of course.
    A bit younger Bond than usual, even if he'd be around mid-30s by the time I imagine this film is actually made, would be something new and fresh, and would hopefully some new dynamics that we haven't seen too much of before.

I do not particularly grasp your need for 'new and fresh' however. We haven't had true Bond, imo, for quite a while now. It'd be new and fresh to have him back!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Let's be honest, before Casino Royale, no-one would've imagined Craig as James Bond, and probably wouldn't have even entered the votes. Everyone was focused on Clive Owen, because for them he was best for the job, they could see it and it became the consensus of fans, which led to EON going for a more left field choice, which is what I think would be better for the new era. No-ones saying he'd be a bad Bond, just that I don't think he'd be a very new or fresh Bond.

Just because you find the proposition of Turner being safe and sensible doesn't mean it is.
    I mean I get what you're saying, but this argument could be applied straight back to you. Just because you think Turner would be a good Bond doesn't mean he will be? I don't know why my opinion is seemingly more redundant to you?

Just because you find the proposition of Turner being safe and sensible doesn't mean it is.
    I mean I get what you're saying, but this argument could be applied straight back to you. Just because you think Turner would be a good Bond doesn't mean he will be? I don't know why my opinion is seemingly more redundant to you?

Not sure why you would conclude that. I pointed out that you view him in a way which the majority disagrees with. Look, you will never truly know how good of a Bond said actors will deliver until the credits roll, so that's a moot point. However, we all can play casting director and base our opinions on what we see and the films they have starred in, which we are doing right now. Just sharing thoughts.