GoldenEye watch-along with Pierce Brosnan 19th April

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526
    TR007 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I didn't watch the whole thing before and went on a bit the last 30 minutes. I had a smile on my face for most of the time. It's such a great experience to see him this way.
    I never heard anything about his meeting with Tarantino before and he is so likeable when he always checks the camera and says "I hope it works. Is it still rolling?".

Brosnan: "Question time". He reads….still...and he reads. Were there so many shitty questions? If so, they should have really filtered it for him beforehand.

Equally he could have had a quick scan of them before it started! :) Maybe they only got them to him in the last few minutes I don't know.

I can imagine it must be pretty soul-destroying to be sat telling stories and trying to be sparkling for two hours when you're not even sure if anyone is hearing you. Shame he didn't just ask his son to check he was broadcasting on his phone or something! :)
    It was pre-recorded. I believe the filming took place on the 16th? So unfortunately there was no way for Brosnan to get anyone to check if it was broadcasting.

Are you sure? It was advertised as live. What’s your source?
    I’m sure. Esquire did say to get the questions in by Friday as they would be asking Pierce to record it in advance.

If you have a link that would be great. If what you’re saying is true, Esquire falsely promoted this event as live.
    What time was it in Hawaii when it was broadcast? It went dark in the UK when it was on, but it was daytime throughout when it was filmed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    shamanimal wrote: »
    What time was it in Hawaii when it was broadcast? It went dark in the UK when it was on, but it was daytime throughout when it was filmed.

It was at 8pm my time, which would make it 8am in Hawaii. Sunrise in Hawaii on April 17th (the day of broadcast) was at 6:08am.
    I didn't watch the whole thing before and went on a bit the last 30 minutes. I had a smile on my face for most of the time. It's such a great experience to see him this way.
    I never heard anything about his meeting with Tarantino before and he is so likeable when he always checks the camera and says "I hope it works. Is it still rolling?".

Brosnan: "Question time". He reads….still...and he reads. Were there so many shitty questions? If so, they should have really filtered it for him beforehand.

Equally he could have had a quick scan of them before it started! :) Maybe they only got them to him in the last few minutes I don't know.

I can imagine it must be pretty soul-destroying to be sat telling stories and trying to be sparkling for two hours when you're not even sure if anyone is hearing you. Shame he didn't just ask his son to check he was broadcasting on his phone or something! :)
    It was pre-recorded. I believe the filming took place on the 16th? So unfortunately there was no way for Brosnan to get anyone to check if it was broadcasting.

I’m sure. Esquire did say to get the questions in by Friday as they would be asking Pierce to record it in advance.

If you have a link that would be great. If what you’re saying is true, Esquire falsely promoted this event as live.
    It was stated on one of their replies to a social media post about it last week. Feel free to search it out.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526

It was stated on one of their replies to a social media post about it last week. Feel free to search it out.

You present an argument that Esquire fraudulently advertised their event as live (by claiming it was prerecorded), and then take the onus of providing any evidence whatsoever off of yourself. Forgive me but it’s kind of frustrating to engage in a discussion this way. If you have any evidence to support your claim feel free to share, otherwise I have no reason to believe this wasn’t a live event as Esquire claims it to be.

It was 8am in Hawaii when the broadcast went live so nice and sunny in Hawaii. 11am here in Vancouver.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Can you please share this specific reply from Esquire? You're the one who has seen it apparently, so please post it for us to read it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It did cut away very quickly when he closed his laptop so maybe it's right.
    It did cut away very quickly when he closed his laptop so maybe it's right.

Certainly not impossible! Could be that Esquire just manually ended the feed once Pierce was done, considering it went back to the white screen with blue Brosnans.

Can you please share this specific reply from Esquire? You're the one who has seen it apparently, so please post it for us to read it.

You present an argument that Esquire fraudulently advertised their event as live (by claiming it was prerecorded), and then take the onus of providing any evidence whatsoever off of yourself. Forgive me but it’s kind of frustrating to engage in a discussion this way. If you have any evidence to support your claim feel free to share, otherwise I have no reason to believe this wasn’t a live event as Esquire claims it to be.

It was 8am in Hawaii when the broadcast went live so nice and sunny in Hawaii. 11am here in Vancouver.
    I’m not arguing anything, I honestly don’t understand how so many of you missed that? It was recorded live on Friday and aired unedited. There’s nothing false about that.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    I checked all their comments and replys on twitter since the announcement, nowhere do they indicate that this was pre-recorded. Quite the opposite.

I’m not arguing anything, I honestly don’t understand how so many of you missed that? It was recorded live on Friday and aired unedited. There’s nothing false about that.

It says nowhere about it being recorded on Friday. Questions had to be in early so they could prepare them for Pierce, assumably, but all this about it being recorded on Friday and aired on Sunday is fiction.

It says nowhere about it being recorded on Friday. Questions had to be in early so they could prepare them for Pierce, assumably, but all this about it being recorded on Friday and aired on Sunday is fiction.
    It’s not.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

It only takes 10 seconds to post that Esquire reply you read. You were the one who mentioned it in the first place, all of us are waiting for you to provide the comment, yet you still refuse to post it.

No-one is disputing that it was pre-recorded. But we are disputing that it was advertised as pre-recorded by Esquire. The only member who saw them specify this is you, so can you please post their reply here so we can give this argument a rest. It's not really that difficult.

It only takes 10 seconds to post that Esquire reply you read. You were the one who mentioned it in the first place, all of us are waiting for you to provide the comment, yet you still refuse to post it.
    Read my above comments.

Read my above comments.

Sure.
    It’s not.

Done. Thanks for wasting another few minutes of my time. Now please provide the post by Esquire saying it was pre-recorded.

The more you keep stalling to provide the proof that they did advertise it as pre-recorded, the more you appear to be lying.
    Read my above comments.

Sure.
    ’m not arguing anything, I honestly don’t understand how so many of you missed that? It was recorded live on Friday and aired unedited. There’s nothing false about that.
    It’s not.

Done. Thanks for wasting another few minutes of my time. Now please provide the post by Esquire saying it was pre-recorded.

The more you keep stalling to provide the proof that they did advertise it as pre-recorded, the more you appear to be lying.
    It was a comment made by Esquire on one of their social media posts last week. You can seek it out yourself if you don’t believe me. I’m not rooting through a week of comments to find it. They pre-recorded it which is why Brosnan didn’t read out any questions from the live stream. It’s standard industry procedure throughout this pandemic to record things ‘as-Live’ which is what Esquire did and then air it ‘as-Live’, this ensures that the filming goes smoothly and that there is time to re-record should there be any technical difficulties. Brosnan’s camp needed to send the video to Esquire for them to host. Esquire didn’t provide him with their login details. I don’t understand the big hullabaloo here, it’s not that big of a deal.

It was a comment made by Esquire on one of their social media posts last week. You can seek it out yourself if you don’t believe me. I’m not rooting through a week of comments to find it. They pre-recorded it which is why Brosnan didn’t read out any questions from the live stream. It’s standard industry procedure throughout this pandemic to record things ‘as-Live’ which is what Esquire did and then air it ‘as-Live’, this ensures that the filming goes smoothly and that there is time to re-record should there be any technical difficulties. Brosnan’s camp needed to send the video to Esquire for them to host. Esquire didn’t provide him with their login details. I don’t understand the big hullabaloo here, it’s not that big of a deal.

You brought it up, so you show the proof. Unless you deleted your web browser's history, it will take you 10 seconds to find it and post it here. As I haven't seen their comment, I won't spend god-knows how long on Twitter & Facebook to find this message.

Until you stop wasting all of our time, your argument is a lie.

By the way, I didn't even bother to read your latest comment after the first sentence, as it was evident you are still refusing to back your claims.

You brought it up, so you show the proof. Unless you deleted your web browser's history, it will take you 10 seconds to find it and post it here. As I haven't seen their comment, I won't spend god-knows how long on Twitter & Facebook to find this message.

By the way, I didn't even bother to read your latest comment after the first sentence, as it was evident you are still refusing to back your claims.
    Okay? No need to be rude but have a good day. I’m going to spend the afternoon rewatching this wonderful commentary from Brosnan.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I really enjoyed that! It's wonderful to hear a few great stories and I hope some of his tales from his others make it out there one day. It would have been a great addition to have heard Brosnan talk more about playing opposite some of the great cast in some scenes. He did well. No need for him to doubt himself. Very well done!

Okay? No need to be rude but have a good day. I’m going to spend the afternoon rewatching this wonderful commentary from Brosnan.

Tomorrow Never Dies for me.
    The 13 Best Anecdotes And Moments From Pierce Brosnan's 'GoldenEye' Watchalong

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a32205182/best-anecdotes-moments-pierce-brosnan-goldeneye-watchalong/
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    MUCH better than the earlier notice Esquire posted, @Torgeirtrap.

Thanks I'll load that in the On This Day day thread for perpetuity.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,279

How so, @RichardTheBruce? Was it badly written?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    The 13 Best Anecdotes And Moments From Pierce Brosnan's 'GoldenEye' Watchalong

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a32205182/best-anecdotes-moments-pierce-brosnan-goldeneye-watchalong/
    I like how he caps off the car story. "Ha! Life."
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    None of those 13 appear to be the greatest moment though: when he went stir crazy and started humming to himself.
    None of those 13 appear to be the greatest moment though: when he went stir crazy and started humming to himself.

Hah yeah, I was hoping it would evolve into a Mamma Mia revisit. ;)
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    This is pure gold. Watching it now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2020 Posts: 14,944
    Well here's a very interesting little tidbit I hadn't heard before; the juicy bit is at 12min 55 if it doesn't link to that:

Sneaky Pierce! :D
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

How so, @RichardTheBruce? Was it badly written?
    It wasn't terrible, but it was too flip and short and I was just disappointed they led with photos that included the non-standard beard for a film role, also looking similar to the Indian breath-mint advertisement that turned into a fiasco.

While Brosnan looked so great on the stream they should have led with that, and Esquire should have been so much more appreciative of him making such a success of it all. Straight up, they should have been thanking him tremendously from themselves and for all of us.

Here it is.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a32205810/pierce-brosnan-would-return-to-james-bond-as-a-villain/