No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Bounine wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I don't mind waiting :)

Me neither. I’d panic and freaking out :D if the virus would’ve shut down production midway filming but since the film is locked and done it’s only a matter of time. And since I want this film to smash the box office I don’t mind waiting.

It would have been a disaster if it had happened during production. Hopefully it will make its November release. But wouldn't be at all surprised if we see a 2021, and dare I say it, even a 2022 release.

Sigh.

I'm an expat living in China. We first heard about this virus in the third week of January. Things are almost back to normal over here where all the shops and restaurants etc. are open again. The cinemas are still closed however and we still have our temperatures taken upon entrance to our apartment complexes, the subway and certain other places. A dramatic improvement however since January. 90% normality returned after two and a half months.
    Good to hear! Where exactly do you live? :-?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Don’t know about China and their “government” but the news about coronavirus broke in the lest week of December.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I would be baffled if the leaked synopsis, and the ending in particular, turned out to be true. After the supposed return to the gritty basics with CR, to end it all THAT way would be bizarre.

Maybe the horse had already bolted with SP anyway...
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    This is the first time there's so much concern about the last scene of a Bond actor's final film....probably because Craig's era is Serialized.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Don’t know about China and their “government” but the news about coronavirus broke in the lest week of December.

Yup, I read the news about it on Reddit between Christmas and the New Year's Eve.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 3,497
    Double.
    delfloria wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    The_Return wrote: »
    Even if the cinemas are open by November, how many of us here will actually want to go to one? Knowing you could possibly risk the life of a loved one?
    Many people are already ITCHING to meet other people, go to restaurants, bars, concerts and yes, cinemas! And the number of people who want to go back to normal right now despite the coronavirus still being here and even if it means maybe ending up in a hospital is growing each and every day.

People under 60 and especially 50 are not afraid and have no reason to be afraid of the virus any more than to be afraid of getting hit by a car.

They really do have reason. If you know anyone in the risk group (and that can be anyone- you're far from guaranteed to be fine just because of your age/health) then you risk giving it to them and potentially killing them. And because you've spread it, you've reduced your health service's capacity to help your loved ones.
    Can I ask where in the world you are? Because the messaging doesn't seem to have come through very well there.

To OP. So let me get this correct. You could care less if you brought the virus home to your parents or grandparents. Just checking.

This is not the Corona thread.

The postponement of NTTD IS directly related to the currant situation. Having said that........... you did not answer my question.

You didn't ask me a question, you asked MTM a question.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 6,665
    Guys if the leak from a couple of weeks is true
    how would you react to the idea of closing the Craig era with Bond being a sort of dad? Of his fiancée’s clone, nothing less.

IMO this idea on paper makes Brofeld worth an Academy Award...

It really does.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    how would you react to the idea of closing the Craig era with Bond being a sort of dad? Of his fiancée’s clone, nothing less.

100% not a fan. Which is why I’m hoping that leak was a well-written fake.

NTTD needs to end like the The Dark Knight Rises. Bond surmised to be dead, with the audience knowing he’s not. Definitive, and satisfying to conclude this era.

I've predicted for some time that they're borrowing heavily from The Dark Knight Rises in the the way this one ends and I think Nomi will end up being the John Blake/Robin of NTTD's ending.

I really really hope not. But I do think you're right.

Must say that my enthusiasm for NTTD could be much higher than it actually is. This metoo marketing angle, with all the Bond girls covers/interviews and thematics, and the recurring storylines and characters from SP, just didn't help. I've been rationalising the hell out of it, but in the end, it's the first Bond film since 1987 that I'm not that hyped about. Of course being hyped for DAD and SP didn't make a bloody difference. I'm very appreciative of NTTD set design, cinematography, Craig's effort (obviously), locations, even the song. But then the Nomi rookie agent, the scooby gang, brofeld,..., just mine the whole thing, IMO. It's a good way to go into the cinema (or whatever), because my expectations are being kept in check this time. Maybe I'll be surprised.
    -
    I would be baffled if the leaked synopsis, and the ending in particular, turned out to be true. After the supposed return to the gritty basics with CR, to end it all THAT way would be bizarre.

It's made up by some 4 chan member.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    -

It's made up by some 4 chan member.

Let's hope.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

I'd like to believe they're a bit more creative than to copy/paste the ending of another movie.

Univex wrote: »

It really does.

NTTD needs to end like the The Dark Knight Rises. Bond surmised to be dead, with the audience knowing he’s not. Definitive, and satisfying to conclude this era.

I've predicted for some time that they're borrowing heavily from The Dark Knight Rises in the the way this one ends and I think Nomi will end up being the John Blake/Robin of NTTD's ending.

Must say that my enthusiasm for NTTD could be much higher than it actually is. This metoo marketing angle, with all the Bond girls covers/interviews and thematics, and the recurring storylines and characters from SP, just didn't help. I've been rationalising the hell out of it, but in the end, it's the first Bond film since 1987 that I'm not that hyped about. Of course being hyped for DAD and SP didn't make a bloody difference. I'm very appreciative of NTTD set design, cinematography, Craig's effort (obviously), locations, even the song. But then the Nomi rookie agent, the scooby gang, brofeld,..., just mine the whole thing, IMO. It's a good way to go into the cinema (or whatever), because my expectations are being kept in check this time. Maybe I'll be surprised.

I think people must stop taking things so literal with this movie. It's still DC who's the main character, not Noomi. Brofeld was a mistake, but that's SP.

Having strong female characters is not bad, and Phoebe was NOT brought in to make this movie more "woman friendly".

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Even if the cinemas are open by November, how many of us here will actually want to go to one? Knowing you could possibly risk the life of a loved one?
    Many people are already ITCHING to meet other people, go to restaurants, bars, concerts and yes, cinemas! And the number of people who want to go back to normal right now despite the coronavirus still being here and even if it means maybe ending up in a hospital is growing each and every day.

People under 60 and especially 50 are not afraid and have no reason to be afraid of the virus any more than to be afraid of getting hit by a car.

They really do have reason. If you know anyone in the risk group (and that can be anyone- you're far from guaranteed to be fine just because of your age/health) then you risk giving it to them and potentially killing them. And because you've spread it, you've reduced your health service's capacity to help your loved ones.
    Can I ask where in the world you are? Because the messaging doesn't seem to have come through very well there.

To OP. So let me get this correct. You could care less if you brought the virus home to your parents or grandparents. Just checking.

The postponement of NTTD IS directly related to the currant situation. Having said that........... you did not answer my question.

I don't think he did because it wouldn't make any sense.
    I did ask you what you meant though.
    Maybe I've already ask. There's a pdf version of "L'Officiel Homme USA " featuring Daniel Craig on Hammersmith bridge and are there new info or photos?
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    Why can’t we end it with a bang instead of a whimper?

Dark Knight Rises ending would be crap!

We need something fresh. Maybe Bond on another mission?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I think he meant it for @The_Return.

It really does.

I think people must stop taking things so literal with this movie. It's still DC who's the main character, not Noomi. Brofeld was a mistake, but that's SP.

Having strong female characters is not bad, and Phoebe was NOT brought in to make this movie more "woman friendly".

I was talking about the marketing. And you can't deny that the marketing has not been that Craig-centric this time, but more Bond Women centric. Even the Phoebe collaboration has been mentioned ad nauseam. I like Phoebe, I love her dialogues. But they haven't even banked on it being Craig's last film. And by they I don't necessarily mean EON, but the entire press. So, the ad nauseam, made me nauseous, naturally.

And the fact that I have to clarify my post to reinforce that I'm not against strong female characters, and am all in favour of it, just proves my point.

I'm not talking about THAT. I'm talking about rookie agent angles, sidekicks, Mi6 teams, the return of SP's main narrative, etc... NOT about strong female characters.

AD NAUSEAM. All of this.

Now, to get ready for Sunday, and a watch along with Pierce. Cheers.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Nothing new. That has always been a risk if you have loved ones who are that weakened. Just use the same common sense as always. One good thing about this is that people who have never used common sense before are now forced to do so.

You think this is nothing different? Jesus, I'm going to lock my family up if there are people like you guys out there who care so little for others.

If your family suffers from severe disease and weakened immune systems, I wouldn t dream of going near them if sick. It is indeed not different from before. Me not caring about others is something you dreamed up.Please don t do that.

20% of all deaths in the UK right now are from Covid-19. That's 1 in 5. 6,000 more people have died in this country than would usually have done. To say this isn't different from before is very much something you've dreamed up. You'd seriously never, ever see a close member of your family again under normal circumstances if they suffered from diabetes, for example?
    Where are you in the world?

Norway. If I am healthy, why should I not be able to see someone with diabetes? I have met people with diabetes several times in the past. I don t get what you are saying.
    00Dalton7 wrote: »

Nothing has been confirmed yet. Jesus.

@Univex The press is also to blame for this "TEH WOMEN WILL BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN DE BOND" thing.

We're in for 7 months more of speculation, nitpicking, complaining and "it might or it might not". Very tiresome.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think he meant it for @The_Return.

Indeed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,009

@Univex The press is also to blame for this "TEH WOMEN WILL BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN DE BOND" thing.

We're in for 7 months more of speculation, nitpicking, complaining and "it might or it might not". Very tiresome.

It is unfortunately natural and inevitable though, @JamesCraig.

Just ignore it instead of trying to police it. Some of it can be fun.

I agree. And that's what I said :) What made me tired of it all was the press and the way "they" handled this film.

It is unfortunately natural and inevitable though, @JamesCraig.

Just ignore it instead of trying to police it. Some of it can be fun.

I hate the police, but I should keep some distance indeed.

:)) :)>-
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343

It really does.

I'm not talking about THAT. I'm talking about rookie agent angles, sidekicks, Mi6 teams, the return of SP's main narrative, etc... NOT about strong female characters.

Not a big fan of the rookie angle but I’m confident it won’t feel forced. As I said many times it could inject the film with cool narrative material. As for the rest, since this film has been conceived as the culmination of the first self contained arc within the franchise it makes perfect sense to pick up stuff and characters from SP, especially since in that film there was so much to unpack Mendes wasn’t able to focus on tons of potentially cool stuff. Giving more context and informations about SPECTRE, which leads to explore the character of Swann since her Dad was a member, it was something I felt it was needed even back in 2015. Regarding Blofeld I highly doubt they will refer him as Bond’s “brother” (well, actually he’s not) and since SP defined his character as a specter throughout all Craig’s film (which is cool if you ask me) I will be happy to see him again. As I see things everything seems great and needed regarding the concept of this film - without mentioning Bond finally trying to overtake a grand worldwide deadly scheme - and you already mentioned the superb formal and technical aspects behind it all.

The only thing that really concerns me is the actual epilogue... Bond’s fate as written in that bloody leak feels totally wrong on paper. Of course Bond will face an evolution as a character in NTTD and I’m fine with them trying to bring something new to the audience. But Bond raising a child that will look exactly like the woman he loves to ***you know what*** is just out of this world and it gives me headache.

It really does.

Not a big fan of the rookie angle but I’m confident it won’t feel forced. As I said many times it could inject the film with cool narrative material. As for the rest, since this film has been conceived as the culmination of the first self contained arc within the franchise it makes perfect sense to pick up stuff and characters from SP, especially since in that film there was so much to unpack Mendes wasn’t able to focus on tons of potentially cool stuff. Giving more context and informations about SPECTRE, which leads to explore the character of Swann since her Dad was a member, it was something I felt it was needed even back in 2015. Regarding Blofeld I highly doubt they will refer him as Bond’s “brother” (well, actually he’s not) and since SP defined his character as a specter throughout all Craig’s film (which is cool if you ask me) I will be happy to see him again. As I see things everything seems great and needed regarding the concept of this film - without mentioning Bond finally trying to overtake a grand worldwide deadly scheme - and you already mentioned the superb formal and technical aspects behind it all.

The only thing that really concerns me is the actual epilogue... Bond’s fate as written in that bloody leak feels totally wrong on paper. Of course Bond will face an evolution as a character in NTTD and I’m fine with them trying to bring something new to the audience. But Bond raising a child that will look exactly like the woman he loves to ***you know what*** is just out of this world and it gives me headache.

That leak has plot information scraped together from various "tidbits" and the ending could be nothing more than fan fiction.

Please stop getting so worked over something that was clearly written by a 4 chan member.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Didn’t we hear at some point that Cary filmed 3 different endings to the movie & only he knew which one would make the final cut?
    Didn’t we hear at some point that Cary filmed 3 different endings to the movie & only he knew which one would make the final cut?

Yes... :-?
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

That wasn't confirmed (or denied) by Fukunaga, by the way. I'm not sure what the original source was, but it was a UK tabloid. So I doubt there's any truth to this.
    I also doubt that if CF shot 3 different endings, he would be allowed to call the shot on which ending the film got. I'm sure BB and MGW have more power about something substantial as the ending of a five film run. Even Craig (as co-producer) has some influence, I assume.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Italian Designer Massimo Alba on Daniel Craig’s Last James Bond Wardrobe
    https://prestigeonline.com/id/style/fashion/italian-designer-massimo-alba-on-daniel-craigs-last-james-bond-wardrobe/

[...]Daniel Craig told the film’s head costume buyer Jane Gooday he wanted cord in No Time to Die. And not just any old cord but Italian designer Massimo Alba cord. And if you’ve ever met Daniel Craig and been targeted by those gas-ring blue eyes of fire and near-psychotic madness, he’s not a man you’d want to deny.

“You can tell Daniel Craig knows how to wear clothes,” Massimo Alba tells me from his headquarters in Milan. “He’s a very stylish man, and not just when he plays James Bond on screen. Formal or casual, he uses clothes to let his personality exude.” So much in fact, that Alba religiously follows the IG handle @whatsdanielwearing. “I like browsing it, his taste is extremely eclectic, and I have become acquainted with his choices. I like his attitude.”

Alba says the process of dressing Bond for certain parts of the film (Tom Ford dresses much of the rest) was straightforward given Craig’s existing relationship as a customer. “The customer designer contacted our Milan office requesting look books. Mr Craig owned Massimo lab pieces already, and this is how it all started, in a very organic way. Look books were sent, a selection was made and order placed.”

Was he nonetheless surprised to get the call from Her Majesty’s Government’s go-to galavanted? “I feel humbled by their choice. My brand is small and independent. It really means a lot.” And the cord? “The Sloop suit [the beige corduroy] is a carry over, that’s been in my menswear collection since season one, so to have that be part of one of the most famous film sagas of all time made me very happy.”

But is the world ready, or Bond’s legions of style aficionados and attendant Bondmania ready, for their conflicted hero in cords? “I like to think of the new Bond as a more ‘human’ one, if I may use such a term,” says Alba. “I think of James Bond now as a man who, in a way, doesn’t need to wear a suit like a form of armour any more, as if he’s found a new confidence.” Alba hadn’t seen the film when we spoke to him. “At least, this is how I imagine it, or maybe how I would like it to be,” he qualifies.

“I think the cord translates into a new kind of confidence, and this permits him to be more casual in what he wears; since my clothes are informal I like to think he feels more comfortable in them.” In that way, Alba feels Craig’s Bond is doing what the spy nonpareil has always done — reflected the times. “Bond is a character that has evolved over the years, along with men and men’s clothing. There’s definitely a need for less formality and a quest for comfort now.”

License to regenerate. Part of Bondmania’s enduring success is the ability to change — think Dorian Gray-esque permanent youth — into a floating cultural icon, continually renewed and rejuvenated in the face of social change. In that way, Bond reflects the cultural codes of consumerism and tourism and what’s become luxury lifestyle. And now cords. “I would say that the Bond style has always been able to seize the moment,” says Alba. All Bond films have become a reference for a specific frame of time, an era, defining it in terms of style. Men and women featured in each film, their style, but also the objects, architecture and interiors, encompassing the history moment in which the film was filmed and released.”

• Article just posted from New York magazine about the impact of Covid-19 on Hollywood and the movie industry. While it (inexplicably) doesn't mention NTTD being the first movie to move due to the virus, it does go into extreme detail about many of the issues being discussed in this forum in recent days, ie: production delays, cinema and streaming profits, and how studios will go forward after this.
    “We have to write off 2020. It’s already the year that didn’t happen,” says one top agent at one of the town’s powerhouse firms who, like everyone reached by Vulture for this story, requested anonymity due to sensitivities surrounding ongoing business endeavors. “We’re not going to make any money because there are no revenues with TV and movies not getting made. Anyone who says that everything is not totally f***** is lying. Everything has changed in what we do.”

{Crossposting this in the Coronavirus discussion forum too.}