No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Blofeld has some words of wisdom for those wondering what they should be doing right now...

I was really hoping the last thing we could do to help would be '... and kill James Bond'.

Yeah, not difficult to stay at home unless you live in a cramped flat with your family and can't work from home and need an income just to put food on the plate and pay the rent. God, what silver-lined planet do these film stars or celebrities live on? Jesus!

Maybe it’s Canada ;) the government here has done tons for us to support us staying at home, we’re paying less rent and being subsidized quite generously by the govt, makes it very easy to help stop the spread by staying at home.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Blofeld has some words of wisdom for those wondering what they should be doing right now...

I was really hoping the last thing we could do to help would be '... and kill James Bond'.

Yeah, not difficult to stay at home unless you live in a cramped flat with your family and can't work from home and need an income just to put food on the plate and pay the rent. God, what silver-lined planet do these film stars or celebrities live on? Jesus!

Maybe it’s Canada ;) the government here has done tons for us to support us staying at home, we’re paying less rent and being subsidized quite generously by the govt, makes it very easy to help stop the spread by staying at home.

Wish we were in Canada.

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    delfloria wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Italian Designer Massimo Alba on Daniel Craig’s Last James Bond Wardrobe
    https://prestigeonline.com/id/style/fashion/italian-designer-massimo-alba-on-daniel-craigs-last-james-bond-wardrobe/

[...]Daniel Craig told the film’s head costume buyer Jane Gooday he wanted cord in No Time to Die. And not just any old cord but Italian designer Massimo Alba cord. And if you’ve ever met Daniel Craig and been targeted by those gas-ring blue eyes of fire and near-psychotic madness, he’s not a man you’d want to deny.

“You can tell Daniel Craig knows how to wear clothes,” Massimo Alba tells me from his headquarters in Milan. “He’s a very stylish man, and not just when he plays James Bond on screen. Formal or casual, he uses clothes to let his personality exude.” So much in fact, that Alba religiously follows the IG handle @whatsdanielwearing. “I like browsing it, his taste is extremely eclectic, and I have become acquainted with his choices. I like his attitude.”

Alba says the process of dressing Bond for certain parts of the film (Tom Ford dresses much of the rest) was straightforward given Craig’s existing relationship as a customer. “The customer designer contacted our Milan office requesting look books. Mr Craig owned Massimo lab pieces already, and this is how it all started, in a very organic way. Look books were sent, a selection was made and order placed.”

Was he nonetheless surprised to get the call from Her Majesty’s Government’s go-to galavanted? “I feel humbled by their choice. My brand is small and independent. It really means a lot.” And the cord? “The Sloop suit [the beige corduroy] is a carry over, that’s been in my menswear collection since season one, so to have that be part of one of the most famous film sagas of all time made me very happy.”

But is the world ready, or Bond’s legions of style aficionados and attendant Bondmania ready, for their conflicted hero in cords? “I like to think of the new Bond as a more ‘human’ one, if I may use such a term,” says Alba. “I think of James Bond now as a man who, in a way, doesn’t need to wear a suit like a form of armour any more, as if he’s found a new confidence.” Alba hadn’t seen the film when we spoke to him. “At least, this is how I imagine it, or maybe how I would like it to be,” he qualifies.

“I think the cord translates into a new kind of confidence, and this permits him to be more casual in what he wears; since my clothes are informal I like to think he feels more comfortable in them.” In that way, Alba feels Craig’s Bond is doing what the spy nonpareil has always done — reflected the times. “Bond is a character that has evolved over the years, along with men and men’s clothing. There’s definitely a need for less formality and a quest for comfort now.”

License to regenerate. Part of Bondmania’s enduring success is the ability to change — think Dorian Gray-esque permanent youth — into a floating cultural icon, continually renewed and rejuvenated in the face of social change. In that way, Bond reflects the cultural codes of consumerism and tourism and what’s become luxury lifestyle. And now cords. “I would say that the Bond style has always been able to seize the moment,” says Alba. All Bond films have become a reference for a specific frame of time, an era, defining it in terms of style. Men and women featured in each film, their style, but also the objects, architecture and interiors, encompassing the history moment in which the film was filmed and released.”

Go figure. I find NTTD the least interesting film of the series in regards to fashion. About the only thing that caught my attention was the Ford suit and the assault sweater.

Maybe controversial but my favourite Craig films for Bond's fashion are Quantum of Solace (for casual: Haiti, Mathis' Villa, Bolivia) and Spectre (for formal: Rome, Nowhere, and for casual: Tangier).

Craig looks great in QoS, but I cannot get over the fact Bond spends so much of the film in clothes he has stolen.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 725
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I would like the next iteration of Blofeld to be a man operating from the shadows....that's how he works best....like a sort of invisible villian. Mendes added a bit of Comedy in Waltz's performance.....I think the 'Brother' thing was noticed, coz waltz's performance wasn't as menacing as the teaser trailer suggested...A director like Nolan would easily have convinced us that Blofeld is Bond's Brother, even if it's for a short time.

The next blofeld should be driven mad by the fact there is now too much diversity in the media. His criminal empire begins by trying to humbly take the entertainment industry back to a monocultural bent. But little does he know his organisation is also now diverse. Who conspire to put more women in films and drive him madder.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Am not Praying or Hoping for another Delay....but at this point, am ready for any type of announcement from EON.

As of today the last announcement of EON is, that NTTD will open on November 12th. But actually this depends on how succesful we all are in slowimng down the spreading of Covid19. It's as simple as this. And in an interview with German news magazine DERB SPIELEGL, Boyle mentioned the possibility, taht B25 might not be based on the Boyel/Hodge script, but that the producers and Fukunaga might use elements or ideas from Hodge's script. And actually, EON has bought the script, and is free to do with it what they want.
    Come Nov. will you be comfortable going to see NTTD in a theater using social distancing guidelines? It would be very hard for me to pass that up though my family might not be to thrilled.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,680
    Come Nov. will you be comfortable going to see NTTD in a theater using social distancing guidelines? It would be very hard for me to pass that up though my family might not be to thrilled.

The occupation Limit will likely be scaled back.

I’m going no matter what. Even if I have to buy out the whole row of seats and wear a mask. Heck I’ll wear one like safins if I have to
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited April 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Interview with Rami, language is slovak.. so use google translate

http://www.miaumagazin.sk/home/rami-malek-od-boha-k-diablovi/

ZDSkhPT.jpg
    xkaFxHi.jpg
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Tuck91 wrote: »

I’m going no matter what. Even if I have to buy out the whole row of seats and wear a mask. Heck I’ll wear one like safins if I have to

I don’t think EoN will release a film like NTTD under that circumstances... seats scaled back, masks, restrictions, fear from casual moviegoers (not crazy hardcore fans like us) etc etc. It would be a disaster box office wise. A 2020 release at this point seems totally unlikely to me.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,693
    matt_u wrote: »

I don’t think EoN will release a film like NTTD under that circumstances... seats scaled back, masks, restrictions, fear from casual moviegoers (not crazy hardcore fans like us) etc etc. It would be a disaster box office wise. A 2020 release at this point seems totally unlikely to me.

How about a digital release for the general public with limited theater screenings, at a big premium price, for the crazed hard core fans like us? (A Fathom Event?)
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,693
    omitted
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    There's no doubt EON are also Pondering right now....like we usually do here. The next couple of months will tell us more about NTTD's release date. And like we usually say here....July/August will give us a clearer picture.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

How about a digital release for the general public with limited theater screenings, at a big premium price, for the crazed hard core fans like us? (A Fathom Event?)

I wonder too if they'll do something like a digital release for a high price and include a theatre ticket to go see the film in theatres when everything is said and done? That way they could maybe recoup some box office, fans can see the film and then there will be bums in seats when the movie does come out (tickets already bought and paid for).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

I wonder too if they'll do something like a digital release for a high price and include a theatre ticket to go see the film in theatres when everything is said and done? That way they could maybe recoup some box office, fans can see the film and then there will be bums in seats when the movie does come out (tickets already bought and paid for).

But as a consequence the film would inevitably become available for pirates too in HD who knows how many months before the theatrical release date...

The major chains would never agree to that, they'll never play a film that has debuted in the home first as a matter of principle.

Ultimately for MGM/Universal, digital release is already recouping the box office if that makes sense - in fact it's better terms for them as they keep more of the revenue as opposed to a theatrical release. The question is whether the revenue and the distributors take would be as much as it would be if the film was released traditionally in 2021..
  • Come Nov. will you be comfortable going to see NTTD in a theater using social distancing guidelines? It would be very hard for me to pass that up though my family might not be to thrilled.

Yes. Nothing would stop me.
    If I could see it now (I was going to see it on 2nd April before the delay), I would.

The way that things are going at the moment, I just need a new Bond film to cheer me up and give me some hope.
    I feel depressed now, never mind if it gets delayed again. We've waited far too long for this in the first place.

Yes, better dead (with the added possibility of also being a killer) than depressed.

:-w
  • Then stream the film instead of delaying it again. Don't we deserve some kind of reprieve from all this crap?
    The queen is bearing it all for the world soon. That should hold us over.
    Then stream the film instead of delaying it again. Don't we deserve some kind of reprieve from all this crap?

YES. Would be so ridiculous to have to wait another year or more. Trump's advisors conceded today that some parts of the U.S. will have to have social distancing at least through the end of the year. I'm sure NYC is one of those places.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited April 2020 Posts: 524
    I honestly think EON is really concerned with the ‘branding’ and that includes seeing Bond as an event film, something you go see in the cinemas. So at this point, I still think EON would rather delay to 2021 than to release NTTD as a premium rental, if November doesn’t seem feasible. For MGM, this is another discussion. They’ve put a lot of money into this film, and I can only assume they have put some experts on calculating the potential losses when they release on VOD and if that would be better financially than to postpone again.
    EON doesn’t put money into these films, they make the movie with other people’s money. They have less to lose when the film gets postponed again. The hardest task for them at this point into the production is to convince Craig to go on another press tour, as the film is finished from a creative standpoint. They are, however, very much concerned with how the franchise is perceived and the branding. We see that in the licensing deals Danjaq makes, the partnerships… It’s all well thought out, and not for financial gain. If Danjaq/EON wanted financial gain with the Bond franchise, they would’ve decided to mass produce merch at (say) Hasbro a long time ago.
    So in that same vain, I believe they don’t want Bond to go to VOD (or at least not at the moment). Bond is an event, the grandeur of a Royal Premiere is missed when not releasing on cinemas. They filmed in IMAX because of the fact that they feel Bond belongs on a big screen, and the director agreed with them.

Now, I’ve talked with @antovolk about this on Twitter, and I came to the conclusion that in the long run, MGM might ask EON to agree release on VOD, and EON will have to agree on that, as money is still a powerful tool in Hollywood. Universal also has money on the line here, and I feel the pressure from them towards EON might be so heavy that EON doesn’t really have a choice anymore.
    I wanted to add that I also think that the decision to turn to VOD or not will be taken as late as possible, as they did with the release date. It’s currently way too early to say if NTTD will be released on VOD instead of in cinemas in November. But the choice has to be made nonetheless.
    I honestly think EON is really concerned with the ‘branding’ and that includes seeing Bond as an event film, something you go see in the cinemas. So at this point, I still think EON would rather delay to 2021 than to release NTTD as a premium rental, if November doesn’t seem feasible. For MGM, this is another discussion. They’ve put a lot of money into this film, and I can only assume they have put some experts on calculating the potential losses when they release on VOD and if that would be better financially than to postpone again.
    EON doesn’t put money into these films, they make the movie with other people’s money. They have less to lose when the film gets postponed again. The hardest task for them at this point into the production is to convince Craig to go on another press tour, as the film is finished from a creative standpoint. They are, however, very much concerned with how the franchise is perceived and the branding. We see that in the licensing deals Danjaq makes, the partnerships… It’s all well thought out, and not for financial gain. If Danjaq/EON wanted financial gain with the Bond franchise, they would’ve decided to mass produce merch at (say) Hasbro a long time ago.
    So in that same vain, I believe they don’t want Bond to go to VOD (or at least not at the moment). Bond is an event, the grandeur of a Royal Premiere is missed when not releasing on cinemas. They filmed in IMAX because of the fact that they feel Bond belongs on a big screen, and the director agreed with them.

Now, I’ve talked with @antovolk about this on Twitter, and I came to the conclusion that in the long run, MGM might ask EON to agree release on VOD, and EON will have to agree on that, as money is still a powerful tool in Hollywood. Universal also has money on the line here, and I feel the pressure from them towards EON might be so heavy that EON doesn’t really have a choice anymore.
    I wanted to add that I also think that the decision to turn to VOD or not will be taken as late as possible, as they did with the release date. It’s currently way too early to say if NTTD will be released on VOD instead of in cinemas in November. But the choice has to be made nonetheless.

Very interesting post. Thanks for so much info.

I do believe Eon wants Bond to be a cinema event as do I in ideal times but these are unprecedented times.

They will surely need to make a decision by August/September so that they don't spend tens of millions on marketing only to have to delay again. Maybe they decide they'll market the hell out of it and just cut their losses with a premium VOD release rather than delay to 2021 or 2022. They'll also surely want to start thinking about Bond 26 and all of the revenue that will generate sooner rather than later hopefully
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 2,436
    My gut feeling is a summer or even autumn 2021 release depending on how long it takes for the vaccine to come and to be distributed. Crazy to think it could come out 2 years after its initial October 2019 release date. It could really push close to the 6 and a half year gap between LTK and GE.
    I think we might see a limited theatre release in November 2020 combined with VOD at the same time. This could push it to the 600-800 million mark.

After the 30-50 million dollar marketing loss this spring, a 250 million dollar budget , and the added marketing cost this summer/fall Eon may break even on this one.

For the film gurus. What is NTTDs break even point?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    $650million was my estimate. That being said, a lot of the product placement will make that figure more manageable. @antovolk is the guy who knows the numbers best.
    If it’s 650 million with just limited or no theatrical release then that might be a problem.

The long gap should help but it still feels real uncertain
    A point of order: I feel as though the phrase "write it off" is getting thrown around a lot in this thread.

Let's be clear: in a worst-case scenario, EON (and their investors) don't "write off" the 9-figure sums they have bet on this film. They just lose it. A monster like Disney might have enough cash on hand to carry on after a loss like that, but for EON it would be a tough, tough blow. Tell their investors that they get nothing back means that the task will be that much harder next time they go looking to raise funds.

This is why the push to release on streaming platforms is a worry. There's really no way they'd make as much as they would at traditional box office. If we're looking at a break-even point above $300 million, a traditional cinema campaign (for NTTD, at least) is the best way to EON to stay in good health. (Unless you want to start talking about spinning off revenue from other properties, like selling pitches for The Moneypenny Diaries or Young Bond to Netflix.)
  • If it gets pushed to fall 2021.. It's just not feasible to me. April 2021 I think is latest I could take! I really hope things improve to watch it this in theatres come November. Otherwise VOD 100%.
    ~X(
  • I honestly think EON is really concerned with the ‘branding’ and that includes seeing Bond as an event film, something you go see in the cinemas. So at this point, I still think EON would rather delay to 2021 than to release NTTD as a premium rental, if November doesn’t seem feasible. For MGM, this is another discussion. They’ve put a lot of money into this film, and I can only assume they have put some experts on calculating the potential losses when they release on VOD and if that would be better financially than to postpone again.

I agree with you in that a new Bond film is an event that deserves to be seen at the cinema. If things with the virus get worse and another delay looks likely, that's when I start to waver on waiting to see it in the cinema.
  • I think we might see a limited theatre release in November 2020 combined with VOD at the same time. This could push it to the 600-800 million mark.

That could work, probably be the best of both worlds in that scenario. People who are uncomfortable with venturing to the cinema at that point could at least watch it at home.