No Time to Die production thread

17537547567587591208

Comments

  • Posts: 6,675
    jake24 wrote: »
    Would people seriously prefer a theatrical release in a year (or longer) vs a digital release in the next couple months? If you ask me, I would much rather watch it at home tomorrow with my current setup then wait another year.

    I'm usually the first person to defend the theatrical experience, but 6 years is a totally insane amount of time to wait for a Bond film mid-era. Charge me $40 for all I care, I'll gladly watch NTTD for the first time in the comfort of my own home rather than wait another year.

    Besides, even if they decide to release it digitally, a theatrical release somewhere down the line is inevitable.

    +1
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Posts: 1,755
    I truly believe it’s inevitable the movie will be delayed again. I don’t see this virus going away by the end of the year.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,526
    jake24 wrote: »
    Would people seriously prefer a theatrical release in a year (or longer) vs a digital release in the next couple months? If you ask me, I would much rather watch it at home tomorrow with my current setup then wait another year.

    I'm usually the first person to defend the theatrical experience, but 6 years is a totally insane amount of time to wait for a Bond film mid-era. Charge me $40 for all I care, I'll gladly watch NTTD for the first time in the comfort of my own home rather than wait another year.

    Besides, even if they decide to release it digitally, a theatrical release somewhere down the line is inevitable.

    It's tough, because I originally was in favour of a digital release in lieu of yet another release date, but if they release it digitally now I wouldn't be able to enjoy it with anyone anyways. I think at this point I'd take a theatrical release date in the future, whenever theatres are able to reopen. Think of the celebration there would be.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,164
    The problem is that I'd imagine the exhibition industry (cinemas etc) will be irrevocably changed if they have to remain closed until the end of the year. AMC is already about to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (affecting Odeon here in the UK too)...

    If the shutdowns go for this long the notion of a traditional wide theatrical release might not be there anymore, even for blockbusters. Whatever is already done like NTTD, Mulan etc, or in production they'd just have to write off the difference, because straight to home can't yet replicate the sort of revenues you can get from a theatrical release. Budgets for future blockbusters would have to be lower to make the economics work, and theatres would likely become a more premium/vinyl-like niche experience. Arthouses may end up surviving, as cash strapped as they are, because they're able to keep generating some revenue at the moment (experimenting with VOD, asking for donations/membership purchases/not refunding tickets - and audiences who are willing to pay for the big screen even if the film is available at home). Major chains though, on which blockbusters like NTTD rely, another question entirely.

    Therefore I feel if they can't make November, they'll seriously consider doing VOD because at that point, the industry as we know it will have changed...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,343
    The movie industry already changed in the past, in the face of imponderable events. Wouldn't be the first time.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Posts: 1,755
    As much as I’d love NTTD to be released on time & even come directly to VOD, the movie begs to be seen in theaters. It would feel odd to not see this movie in a theater.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    As much as I’d love NTTD to be released on time & even come directly to VOD, the movie begs to be seen in theaters. It would feel odd to not see this movie in a theater.

    Agreed. NTTD could be postponed to April ‘21 with F9 moving in Summer.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,489
    This doesn t mean the whole world will have to postpone it further.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Posts: 4,399
    jake24 wrote: »
    Would people seriously prefer a theatrical release in a year (or longer) vs a digital release in the next couple months? If you ask me, I would much rather watch it at home tomorrow with my current setup then wait another year.

    I'm usually the first person to defend the theatrical experience, but 6 years is a totally insane amount of time to wait for a Bond film mid-era. Charge me $40 for all I care, I'll gladly watch NTTD for the first time in the comfort of my own home rather than wait another year.

    Besides, even if they decide to release it digitally, a theatrical release somewhere down the line is inevitable.

    I have a 55" HD in my living room. If I shut the lights off and get a stale popcorn smell candle, I will gladly take a digital release.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Posts: 8,067
    I would rather they release the movie on VOD so we can finally say the era is completed, and start to get hyped about what comes next. Its silly to keep waiting for possibly another year when there is a completed Bond film sat on a shelf somewhere. And as has been mentioned, there will be showings of the movie in cinemas at some point down the road.

  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,343
    This doesn t mean the whole world will have to postpone it further.

    Anyway it's a strong possibility.
  • Posts: 1,680
    I think theatres will be open by august/September and NTTD will make its November release.

    What will happen is either a crowd or seating limit. Only tent pole movies will be showed. Maybe 3 or 4 at a time.

    Eon will likely see a box office return similar to Spectre or slightly higher.

    I don’t want a streaming release I want to experience it in big screen imax. This film was made for it. I think this one was meant to be seen on the big screen with round of applause moments. just like CR and SF

  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,497
    This doesn t mean the whole world will have to postpone it further.

    The Italian release being postponed does not mean it will happen everywhere else.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,164
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    This doesn t mean the whole world will have to postpone it further.

    The Italian release being postponed does not mean it will happen everywhere else.

    But the question is - as @matt_u mentioned - what the Italian government is doing is somewhat of a model for other countries in Europe in how to respond to the virus as they're further ahead in the outbreak. If indeed cinemas don't reopen until December there, what are the odds they won't reopen in the UK and the US until then either.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Posts: 2,541
    One thing i am wondering why December?
  • Posts: 3,164
    One thing i am wondering why December?

    Probably something to do with that being the the absolute earliest timeline for a vaccine (though September has now been mulled by UK scientists)
  • Posts: 4,599
    Our top politicians and experts around the globe really dont know how this will play out - just too many unknowns and too many variables. I would hate to be on EON's shoes at the moment.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343
    antovolk wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    This doesn t mean the whole world will have to postpone it further.

    The Italian release being postponed does not mean it will happen everywhere else.

    But the question is - as @matt_u mentioned - what the Italian government is doing is somewhat of a model for other countries in Europe in how to respond to the virus as they're further ahead in the outbreak. If indeed cinemas don't reopen until December there, what are the odds they won't reopen in the UK and the US until then either.

    Yep my same thoughts. I would be super happy (for you guys XD) if the film will indeed open in all the countries in the world except mine, but honestly it doesn't sound quite realistic... anyway it's too early to take this possibility for granted. Point is right now nothing is 100% certain even tho this "news" doesn't sound promising...
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Posts: 1,884
    The problem about releasing it digitally first is that there will never be a proper theatrical release even after the virus restrictions have been lifted. The demand to see it in a cinema will be significantly lower because everyone has already watched it countless times at home so there's no novelty of a new Bond film coming out. It's essentially a re-release. So with such low demand there won't be that many showings and it'll be in a limited number of cinema chains. This means that many people who originally wanted to see it on the big screen (regardless if they've seen it already on digital) simply won't be able to if they're in a small city or country that isn't bothered or permitted to screen it. So ironically enough the only way to ensure that everyone can see it on the big screen as intended is to keep delaying the release. We can watch it all on digital later anyway.

    Another thing is the BO gross ceiling it can theoretically reach. Yes, it will likely be negatively affected if it releases directly after cinemas reopen, but not nearly as much if it's already hit the ancillary market for the reasons mentioned above. I'd be surprised if it broke USD100 million worldwide at that point. That's not a figure I want to be reading in a legacy book years from now.

  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Not to mention major chains will refuse to screen it out of principle.

    Now, will the major chains even exist by the time lockdowns end, if this goes beyond the general consensus of things reopening (with social distancing measures still on) in July. As I said, if this goes on longer things in the industry won't be the same as they've been before the lockdown. Will *anything* get a proper theatrical release? Will there be an appetite for one? Will cinemas themselves even exist to the same extent?

    If November doesn't happen MGM is faced with a choice to keep delaying indefinitely for a theatrical release that may not even happen to the extent it would have before the lockdown...or just releasing on VOD sooner and finally getting the film out there and recouping at least some of that budget. Others will be in the same boat too.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 8,026
    I think Bond 26 is ultimately going to be the film that will have an adjusted distribution method. It could take years for cinemas to recover properly.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Posts: 1,756
    I'm no economic expert but I think if the situation doesn't seem to resolve soon, EON could consider just releasing it VOD, take the loss, and move on. Start work early for the next film. Lower the budget, make a smaller scale Bond film with a new, known film actor to play Bond, market the hell out of it, and gain back whatever was lost during COVID.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Posts: 5,944
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I think theatres will be open by august/September and NTTD will make its November release.

    What will happen is either a crowd or seating limit. Only tent pole movies will be showed. Maybe 3 or 4 at a time.

    Eon will likely see a box office return similar to Spectre or slightly higher.

    I don’t want a streaming release I want to experience it in big screen imax. This film was made for it. I think this one was meant to be seen on the big screen with round of applause moments. just like CR and SF

    I kind of doubt November now. Are they going to have temperature checkpoints before you go into a theater? What if someone is asymptomatic?

    Additionally, there will be a shortage of new films in about a year.

    If we are lucky enough to get a vaccine by then, we will see Bond in summer or Thanksgiving 2021. And it will be the biggest box office yet because people will be hungry for it.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,599
    One factor not mentioned (I think): what do they actually think of the film? Obviously, in public, they will give all of them full marks but, in reality, they will have their own opinions. If they think this film is an all time classic with the qualities required to make serious cash at the box office, they will surely want it at the cinama. If they think it's pretty average (or worse) the VOD is not as big a deal (still a deal though). These are factors that we, from our standpoint, are not able to consider.
  • Posts: 1,680
    They won’t wait until November 2021.

    I’d say Jan 2021 at the latest. But I think November will stick.

    Cinemas will open but nowhere near full capacity. NTTD will likely pull in 700-800 million maybe a bit more.

    If they went VOD the film loses big money which they won’t do.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,261
    patb wrote: »
    One factor not mentioned (I think): what do they actually think of the film? Obviously, in public, they will give all of them full marks but, in reality, they will have their own opinions. If they think this film is an all time classic with the qualities required to make serious cash at the box office, they will surely want it at the cinama. If they think it's pretty average (or worse) the VOD is not as big a deal (still a deal though). These are factors that we, from our standpoint, are not able to consider.

    This is something that has crossed my mind – although not with NTTD specifically. I wonder how the "gut feeling" from those involved and the studios is like after a project, and how this might affect aspects like marketing etc – if at all. That's what test screenings are for, I guess.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,703
    If NTTD goes VOD I'll sit it out and wait for whatever limited theater showings that eventually crop up. Until there is an official 007 TV series, my choice will be not to watch the premiere of Bond adventures on TV.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 2,598
    Contraband wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    007 Magazine NTTD deluxe LE publication, shown with Bond's burnt 'forgive me' note

    49760003853_469f5bca07_o.png

    Marvellous.

    Is it full of juicy spoilers? Someone should let forum-legend @Contraband know that this exists...

    source.gif

    @Pierce2Daniel Already know... Sold out:

    http://www.007magazine.co.uk/

    I have some of those older publications from back in the day when I was a member of the 007 fan club in the 1990's. Damn, time flies. I must dig them up sometime...
  • delfloria wrote: »
    If NTTD goes VOD I'll sit it out and wait for whatever limited theater showings that eventually crop up. Until there is an official 007 TV series, my choice will be not to watch the premiere of Bond adventures on TV.

    Buy a projector ...
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,497
    delfloria wrote: »
    If NTTD goes VOD I'll sit it out and wait for whatever limited theater showings that eventually crop up. Until there is an official 007 TV series, my choice will be not to watch the premiere of Bond adventures on TV.

    Buy a projector ...

    :))

    And the panicking continues...
Sign In or Register to comment.