I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    In SF, when Bond is pacing alone in a room, waiting for his meeting with M and Mallory, Moneypenny steps in to say "They'r ready for you." Behind her, walking up the staircase we can see...

Q
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    TripAces wrote: »
    In SF, when Bond is pacing alone in a room, waiting for his meeting with M and Mallory, Moneypenny steps in to say "They'r ready for you." Behind her, walking up the staircase we can see...

Q

Really? Never noticed that. Cool. I'll check that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Me neither! I'll have a look too, that's quite surprising.
    I watched the scene several times now and I can`t find Q...The guy we see through the window looks a bit like Q but I don't think that he really is it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2020 Posts: 14,927
    Yeah I had a look too and I think it’s just some guy. Fun thought though!
    Well, I had at least another good reason to put in my SF Blueray once again.
    I watched the scene several times now and I can`t find Q...The guy we see through the window looks a bit like Q but I don't think that he really is it.

I have looked at it over and over. The glasses, the hair, the hipster sweater. There is no definitive proof, I guess...but it sure looks like him to me. It's like an Easter egg thrown in.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited April 2020 Posts: 3,675
    While watching Goldfinger to honor Honor, I realized she wears gold fingernail polish.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I have looked at it over and over. The glasses, the hair, the hipster sweater. There is no definitive proof, I guess...but it sure looks like him to me. It's like an Easter egg thrown in.

He looks a different build to me. What I did find quite surprising about that scene in Skyfall is how causal everyone in MI6 dresses! Lots of jumpers going on :D
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,009
    Irvin Allen is that cool cat who takes both the bourbon and the money from Bond on LALD. Now that's extra, man! I know he was also on TSWLM, but not that he appeared thrice on the Bond saga.
    I think I've been finally able to discern why [apparently] Junior sent Bond the Queen of Cups card. I thought that several scenes before Bond was using his brush to find microphones when in fact he must be morse-signaling Junior about that "Mrs. Bond".

Am I right, guys?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I believe the card was from Solitaire.

I actually posted this question by mistake. Just after I wrote this, I saw Bond entering the tarot shop with that evident hint: that large High Priestess card on display. I'm quite confused...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    This question was raised last year. Upon learning of 'Mrs Bond', he sent morse code to Quarrel via the hairbrush to have her checked out. Quarrel sent the card (or had it sent) to Bond's hotel. After receiving the card, Bond went to "see about getting a car", and on the way, dropped into the Tarot shop he passed the night before to ask what the card meant.
    QBranch wrote: »
    This question was raised last year. Upon learning of 'Mrs Bond', he sent morse code to Quarrel via the hairbrush to have her checked out. Quarrel sent the card (or had it sent) to Bond's hotel. After receiving the card, Bond went to "see about getting a car", and on the way, dropped into the Tarot shop he passed the night before to ask what the card meant.

This is my preferred explanation, and I'll explain why I see it this way. But first of all, for the first time, I'm noticing that despite being an extremely fun film, on repeated viewings LALD's screenplay leaves a lot to be desired, confusing viewers: this scene we're discussing, Solitaire suddenly attacking Bond at NOLA Airport (many of us believe she’s creating a distraction to help him out of the situation), the deceased Strutter apparently at the phone, Bond's watch magically sprouting a buzzsaw...

Now about the scene in question. The way I see it, Solitaire, at the moment, is the least interested person on making things easy for Bond: the reading of The Lovers' card has left her conflicted, unhappy, suffering and fearing for her powers and life. To sum up: I don't think Bond buzzing around made her happy and hopeful.

BTW, another personal impression: I think the shoeshine man in Harlem is a CIA agent talking to Strutter, not an enemy, but, fortunately, this is left ambiguous for suspense's sake.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s

That’s one interpretation but sources such as the ‘in collaboration with EON’ (take that to mean as much or as little as you wish) JB Encyclopedia give Solitaire as the sender of the card.

That’s the version that I go for as well, just because it makes sense to me that Solitaire has already seen in the cards that she and Bond will be lovers and so it is her ‘duty’ in following the ‘path’ laid out by the cards to protect Bond. She will have been aware of the plot involving Rosie leading Bond to his death, and admitted she had seen the ‘intervention of a woman’ in the cards (though kept it to herself that she meant her rather than Rosie).
  • echoecho 007 in New York

That’s one interpretation but sources such as the ‘in collaboration with EON’ (take that to mean as much or as little as you wish) JB Encyclopedia give Solitaire as the sender of the card.

That’s the version that I go for as well, just because it makes sense to me that Solitaire has already seen in the cards that she and Bond will be lovers and so it is her ‘duty’ in following the ‘path’ laid out by the cards to protect Bond. She will have been aware of the plot involving Rosie leading Bond to his death, and admitted she had seen the ‘intervention of a woman’ in the cards (though kept it to herself that she meant her rather than Rosie).

It's also more romantic if Solitaire is the one warning Bond with the card.
    I cannot believe I never saw this: Connery has two tattoos on his right forearm. I noticed them for the first time in a viewing of DN this morning. How'd I miss this over the years?
    I cannot believe I never saw this: Connery has two tattoos on his right forearm. I noticed them for the first time in a viewing of DN this morning. How'd I miss this over the years?

Watching on pan-and-scan, VHS and maybe other options that showed less detail. Can't speak for laserdisc. I imagine this thread would've looked a lot different and less active about 30 years ago.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,009
    Something I noticed after reading something on the TV Tropes website: Is it possible that on LALD, when the receptionist says "Mrs. Bond" has already checked, 007 looks a bit hurt, maybe thinking about Tracy? Or it's just Roger Moore showing some dull surprise?

He really reacts very slowly...
    BT3366 wrote: »

Watching on pan-and-scan, VHS and maybe other options that showed less detail. Can't speak for laserdisc. I imagine this thread would've looked a lot different and less active about 30 years ago.

Yep. Further research has revealed that the tattoos are common knowledge: both done while he was in the Royal Navy. This is one of my gaps in knowledge. No more, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I think they're easier to spot in NSNA.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    They tried their best to cover them up in TB. Connery is on record as saying it's his mistake to get them and he was embarrassed by them in later life.
    You can also see the tattoos when Bond approaches Jill Masterson.

https://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Goldfinger/images/Goldfinger-116.jpg
    Hey, there's new drinking game. Take a shot each time you see Connery's tattoos.
    You can also see the tattoos when Bond approaches Jill Masterson.

https://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Goldfinger/images/Goldfinger-116.jpg

You have a better eye than eye do. I have seen GF countless times and just never noticed that. Maybe there's something else in that scene (and in that picture specifically) that catches me eye a little more. LOL

I have seen GF countless times and just never noticed that. Maybe there's something else in that scene (and in that picture specifically) that catches me eye a little more. LOL
    Yes, it's quite distracting, that blue towel playsuit he wears.

Just looking through the SF 'Bond On Set' book, and it says Gregg Wilson makes a cameo. He is to the left of Bond during the drinking game at the Turkish bar. We see his face a couple of times.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    The first 20 Bond films all end with James holding a Bond girl. None of the last four Bond films end in that fashion.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The first 20 Bond films all end with James holding a Bond girl. None of the last four Bond films end in that fashion.

As "obvious" as that seems, I can't say I ever really noticed that. Good stuff. Would love to see a return to that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited May 2020 Posts: 45,489

Creasy47 wrote: »

As "obvious" as that seems, I can't say I ever really noticed that. Good stuff. Would love to see a return to that.

And pool girls. We have had those in some form in about half the films, ever since GF.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,927
    Did I ever post Wai Lin's amusingly bendy arm in here? Looks painful.

wailinarm1.jpg

Look at Pierce's tiny withered left arm. Poor thing.