Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

I received an email from a medical researcher who stated that since a majority of the brands of cigarettes are manufactured in Wuhon, the original epicenter. There is a possibility that workers there may have inadvertently contaminated shipments of cigarettes that were then shipped. The belief is that this would have been accidental because they didn't know that they were infected. Hopefully any contamination will have become dormant by now, however vaping and cigarette smoking may have been connected to the rapid spread of infection. Many people smoke and it is unfortunately an addictive habit. Stay Safe.
    a shred of evidence?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I received an email from a medical researcher who stated that since a majority of the brands of cigarettes are manufactured in Wuhon, the original epicenter. There is a possibility that workers there may have inadvertently contaminated shipments of cigarettes that were then shipped. The belief is that this would have been accidental because they didn't know that they were infected. Hopefully any contamination will have become dormant by now, however vaping and cigarette smoking may have been connected to the rapid spread of infection. Many people smoke and it is unfortunately an addictive habit. Stay Safe.

I honestly think that smokers have other concerns, more important ones even, than this virus. The number of people dying from the habits of smoking, on a monthly basis, including second-hand smoking, still largely exceeds the mortality figures for Corona.

That said, ciggies aren't living cells. By the time any shipment has arrived in your country, the virus, if present, is surely no longer active.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Given the behavior of this virus, it is surely a good time to give up smoking regardless!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Gerard wrote: »
    Saw that one today :

"If you receive an E-mail with the header "Ring-a-Ding", don't open it. It's a Jehovah's Witness teleworking."

And in the good news department :

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/harvey-weinstein-tests-positive-for-coronavirus

Ah, Karma !

Karma, but only for Horny Harvey?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    He had it coming.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,554
    TripAces wrote: »
    For the first time since this thing started, I am becoming greatly concerned.

I didn't take it that seriously myself up until just over a week ago. I thought we were all overreacting, and it was just another strain of flu.

It didn't really hit me until I watched that Sky News report in the Italy hospitals. This is not flu. The doctors treating it are describing it as chronic pneumonia.

When you see people my age under ventilators in beds, and you realise this is not just the elderly getting hit by this, and how quickly this is spreading, and how hospitals are not coping is when I became genuinely frightened.

The UK is ahead of Italy and China in its trajectory, and yet we are still not under a lockdown yet. People are still going out and mingling, as though they are on holiday.

A bomb is about to be dropped on us, and it is already too late, even if we go into lockdown now. This time next week I dread to think where the UK will be.

Exactly. I have taken it seriously from the start, but I was not too concerned for my own life or for my loved ones. That's changing, I'm afraid to say.
    echo wrote: »
    Given the behavior of this virus, it is surely a good time to give up smoking regardless!

I have not read reports about the link betwen smoking and the death rates of younger victims, but it might be a factor. They smoke like chimneys in Italy.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Italy has recorded 651 deaths today. They are now the first country to reach 5,000 total deaths (5,476). Italy has recorded more deaths in the last 6 days (March 17th to March 22nd) than China has recorded in total from November 2019 to March 2020 (4 months).

Italy has recorded 602 deaths from the coronavirus today, becoming the first country to reach 6,000 fatalities.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Italy has recorded 651 deaths today. They are now the first country to reach 5,000 total deaths (5,476). Italy has recorded more deaths in the last 6 days (March 17th to March 22nd) than China has recorded in total from November 2019 to March 2020 (4 months).

Italy has recorded 602 deaths from the coronavirus today, becoming the first country to reach 6,000 fatalities.

On the other hand the number of infections is slowing down and it’s the second day in a row. Quarantine is slowly working. The numbers from Lombardy are hopeful especially in Milan...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    matt_u wrote: »

On the other hand the number of infections is slowing down and it’s the second day in a row. Quarantine is slowly working. The numbers from Lombardy are hopeful especially in Milan...

Yes. 793 deaths on Saturday, 651 yesterday and 602 today. Hopefully this trends continue in the next few days.
    Sounds dreadful but IF we are 2 weeks behind Italy and they have peaked, then I'd settle for that as an outcome for the UK.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    186 deaths in France today. Up from 102 yesterday. 860 total.

Italy first hit 150 deaths in a day on March 10th, and their 793 deaths peak was on March 21st.
    patb wrote: »
    Sounds dreadful but IF we are 2 weeks behind Italy and they have peaked, then I'd settle for that as an outcome for the UK.

Well the peak in Italy is expected next week end. In Lombardy is slowing down a bit but in most of the other regions is increasing...
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    @matt_u yes, if the sombraro trend line is correct, the rate of infection increase will slow down, this is consistant with figures from Italy (I think), still on the rise but the rate of rise is falling
    8034EOM.jpg

Hoogstraten - at the border crossing with The Netherlands.
    The 2020 Tokyo Olympics are set to be postponed to Summer 2021; official announcement expected in the coming weeks.
    At last.
    Considering how steep the curve is at the moment, what price have we paid for Boris not making this decision yesterday or the day beforw?
    patb wrote: »
    Considering how steep the curve is at the moment, what price have we paid for Boris not making this decision yesterday or the day beforw?

Acting quickly is of the essence. I guess for most people, this felt like a surreal thing; hence the delays. Plus, the Brits are notoriously stubborn people. ;-)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I didn't go out to bars and restaurants in NY two weekends ago, but some people did.

Humanity is very disheartening.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    "You can't cure stupid." - MajorDSmythe, 2020
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,265
    Due to my job requirements I need to go out on the streets, though I need to constantly have my Id. Unfortunately the measures in the UK are neccesary based on people not appearing to give a... In my local area I have witnessed recklessness.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,469
    And as a result of the coronavirus, the new normal, video conferencing from home. With all its random surprises. But for all we know that cat could be the sales leader.
    Spain has recorded 462 deaths today so far, becoming the 3rd country after China and Italy to reach 2,000 total deaths. The Worldwide death-toll has now passed 15,000.

Spain has recorded 514 deaths today so far. The worldwide death-toll has now passed 17,000.
    Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has formally requested a postponement of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

https://www.skysports.com/live-blog/12040/11945306/coronavirus-latest-how-outbreak-is-affecting-sport
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,661
    The UK is in lockdown but people are still crammed on the tubes. No-one told Boris and his cabinet that people in train carriages are not two meters away. I guess most politicians have never used a tube train!

0_tube.jpg

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-lockdown-london-underground-tube-17969150

Yep, no-one has thought this through which I knew would happen because you can't expect a leader of a country to go tv, give almost zero advance warning, spout a few rules with little or no planning and expect people to obey them.

I think a lockdown is 100 percent crazy (the economic consequences are mind boggling as well as the huge resources needed to keep many people from breaking the rules of the lockdown!) but if we are having one it should be a full lockdown. No trains, no buses for anyone but essential workers. People with essential jobs should get a government ID pass to prove they need to use trains and buses. That's how to do it. Sigh. Zero planning.

Also, it makes sense to deploy the army at all or most large supermarkets to stop people taking too much loo roll and other stuff. We're supposed to be in this together so that means a ration on certain items!

As I say, the lockdown is crazy, no-one in government had thought any of it through so we'll just make a mess of it and hope the virus doesn't infect more people! Crazy but life is now officially crazy. God knows where this is all going.

edited March 2020 Posts: 23,525
    @fanbond123
    Why would a total lockdown be crazy? What about the economy? People are dying, mate. Let's worry about the economy when the death toll starts declining again. Britain waited too long to establish hard measures and yes, now it's all messy. Brexitland is notoriously stubborn. I love the Brits, don't get me wrong, but too many still think themselves on top of the world, invulnerable. I wish they'd have responded sooner.

Same with the USA. Two weeks ago, Corona was still called a 'liberal hoax' by the same man who has since been hoarding useful medical products from all over the world, leaving very little for those of us who have actually been taking this thing seriously since day one.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 4,599
    Good point re the Brits (I'm one of them) "Dunkirk spirit" , "stiff upper lip", "fight them of the beaches" etc etc is all OK (and Boris has created his Churchillian brand based on these values) but the virus is no respecter of these character traits. (Churchill knew the enemy could hear his speeches)

There is little doubt that, as a nation, we have not taken the threat as seriously as we should have done and we IMHO will pay a huge price. I'm not sure where arrogance ends and stupidity starts.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497
    China virus & kung flu.

No matter who or what created this covid19 sh*t, we should all be helping each other. /:)