Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    I was getting a haircut this morning (today is the last day when this is permissible in New York) when the following announcement caught my attention: over half of the coronavirus cases identified in New York, thus far, have been in people between the ages of 18-49. That tends to run counter to the initial belief that older people were significantly more at risk.

Of course, it could be that younger people are being tested more frequently, or that underlying medical conditions play a larger role than first thought.

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-york-10000-coronavirus-cases-cuomo-urges-young-people-2020-3

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/health/coronavirus-millennials-young-adults.html
    My understanding so far has been that people of all ages get infected the same, but the younger (overall, and with exceptions as always) do not normally develop symptoms that are as severe and possibly deadly as those that may turn up with, say, 80-some year-olds with existing medical conditions. I would expect that the 18 to 49 age group is far more active in going out and mingling with people than those between 50 and, uhm, 120 or so. Children get infected too, but AFAIK none have died from the virus for the time being.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    To post something more lighthearted for a change:

A colleague of my wife's just reported the following: He is in sales/distribution of the company in question and had to visit a retail store tonight (or maybe last night). He runs into a man that has about 20 packs of toilet paper in his shopping cart, and finds that this is too much for him. He tells the guy with the shopping cart that he was acting egotistically and could never use up that amount of toilet paper anyway and should show some solidarity and respect and stop stockpiling and leave most of it to others who might need it.

The other guy listened quietly and said he fully agreed. But could he now please continue stocking up the toilet paper shelf?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Dwayne wrote: »
    I was getting a haircut this morning (today is the last day when this is permissible in New York) when the following announcement caught my attention: over half of the coronavirus cases identified in New York, thus far, have been in people between the ages of 18-49. That tends to run counter to the initial belief that older people were significantly more at risk.

Of course, it could be that younger people are being tested more frequently, or that underlying medical conditions play a larger role than first thought.

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-york-10000-coronavirus-cases-cuomo-urges-young-people-2020-3

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/health/coronavirus-millennials-young-adults.html
    My understanding so far has been that people of all ages get infected the same, but the younger (overall, and with exceptions as always) do not normally develop symptoms that are as severe and possibly deadly as those that may turn up with, say, 80-some year-olds with existing medical conditions. I would expect that the 18 to 49 age group is far more active in going out and mingling with people than those between 50 and, uhm, 120 or so. Children get infected too, but AFAIK none have died from the virus for the time being.

Exactly. I’ll give a couple of stats based on the virus spreading in Italy: the average age of people being tested positive is 63 years old (because lot of younger people with the virus perhaps don’t show symptoms so are not tested); the average age of casualties is 80 years old; younger people obviously are at risk too (youngest victim was 32) but only the 0.08% of deaths were caused only by the COVID29: basically the virus kills mostly people affected by 1,2,3 previous diseases. The big issue is that younger people with 100% chances of survive after hospitalization would die too because with the virus spreading wildly the hospitals wouldn’t be able to take care of them.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Good lord.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The simplest explanation is that the coronavirus is more contagious and has a higher percentage than the regular flu. That’s why it’s such a bigger deal. Let’s not downplay this situation @fanbond123
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    If we’re going to bring the ‘normal flu’ into the discussion: the normal flu kills 750 people a month in Italy. Coronavirus killed 793 people in Italy in 24 hours. Nearly 3,500 Italians died from coronavirus in the past week. Multiply that by 52 and it adds up to 182,000 deaths in 1 year at its current rate. And that’s from 1 country. And you talk about 23,000 deaths world wide about the normal flu?

I would love to live in @fanbond123‘s fantasy world where 23,000 is a bigger number than 182,000. My bank account would definitely approve.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Any argument that uses abortion as an example to downplay Coronavirus is very hard to take seriously.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 97
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    There is no coronavirus crisis. I can prove it. Here:

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/03/20/us-flu-activity-up-death-toll-reaches-k/

More people have died from the flu in America alone than all the cr victims worldwide. 2020 season - 23,000 dead in America. And where pray tell is the lockdown over flu, where is the rolling 24/7 coverage, where is the mass panic buying, where is the social distancing, where is the hospitals overwhelmed, where is the shops closed, where is the financial bailout, where is the bailout for people going to lose their jobs from huge flu deaths?

Without the lockdowns, at least 2 MILLION Americans would die within a couple of months because of the coronavirus.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Here's the thing with the corona virus / COVID - 19.
    This is an unprecedented situation that has effected the entire world.
    Whether you believe it too be a bad cold/flu or not, we're all caught up in this.
    Every country/ region has their own way of combating this. They have their own set of rules to try and stop it.
    Therefore, we're going to have many alternate views on what's working and what's not.
    No one has got the answer to this yet.
    So no one is right on what we should or shouldn't do.
    Arguing, bickering and getting worked up in this thread is about as pointless as you can get. No one is right, and there will be no overall winner when this virus is stopped that will be able to say, 'I told you so'
    This will be a group effort. We as a planet will overcome this virus together.
    I don't want to close this thread, because it is something I want to discuss with anyone who wants to venture in here.
    There have been some strong willed members who have got heated over disagreements with how this virus works, and what should be done.
    You're never going to agree, so just ignore each other.
    You're all entitled to your view, and posting non offensive and relevant opinions in this thread. However, constant posting of the same arguments over and over is trolling. And these comments will be removed, and you may be subjected to a suspension or ban if you continue to act in this manner.
    I guess what I'm saying is, pull your heads in, and play nice.
    No one is right
    No one is wrong.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 3,279

More people have died from the flu in America alone than all the cr victims worldwide. 2020 season - 23,000 dead in America. And where pray tell is the lockdown over flu, where is the rolling 24/7 coverage, where is the mass panic buying, where is the social distancing, where is the hospitals overwhelmed, where is the shops closed, where is the financial bailout, where is the bailout for people going to lose their jobs from huge flu deaths?

Oh yeah, it's non-existent. Why? Because people that own the media/news corps and main news sites online decided flu is not sexy. Coronavirus is more sexy so let's hype that up and get the world hysterical.

I for one have had enough of this sickening hypocrisy. Yes, coronavirus is a horrible thing to die of, but so is flu. And no-one even cared about flu death rates, like ever. And that has a vaccine. So perhaps we should all stop this hysteria about coronavirus. People get old and get flu, get cancer, get cr. Some people don't even get the chance of life. They're aborted in the womb. So let's cut this cr hysteria. I'm sick of it. Sorry to rant but the hypocrisy of cr is staggering and I'm genuinely sick of it. If you gonna weep for dead Italians then maybe weep for the 23,000 dead flu victims in the US and elsewhere in the world. They're just as deserving.

You sound highly intelligent. Your parents must be so proud of you.
    If we’re going to bring the ‘normal flu’ into the discussion: the normal flu kills 750 people a month in Italy. Coronavirus killed 793 people in Italy in 24 hours. Nearly 3,500 Italians died from coronavirus in the past week. Multiply that by 52 and it adds up to 182,000 deaths in 1 year at its current rate. And that’s from 1 country. And you talk about 23,000 deaths world wide about the normal flu?

I would love to live in @fanbond123‘s fantasy world where 23,000 is a bigger number than 182,000. My bank account would definitely approve.

I think @fanbond123 doesn't believe there is a huge problem in Italy, or anywhere else outside of America. The US is the centre of his universe.

What he doesn't realise is, what is happening across Europe right now will soon be moving its way to the US.

Anyone who has seen the huge hospital crisis in Italy (Spain next, then France, then UK) and thinks this is just the same old, same old, and flu is much worse, is either in denial, ignorant, or just plain dumb.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

I think @fanbond123 doesn't believe there is a huge problem in Italy, or anywhere else outside of America. The US is the centre of his universe.

What he doesn't realise is, what is happening across Europe right now will soon be moving its way to the US.

Anyone who has seen the huge hospital crisis in Italy (Spain next, then France, then UK) and thinks this is just the same old, same old, and flu is much worse, is either in denial, ignorant, or just plain dumb.

It's called cognitive dissonance and he is full of it.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,025

I don't know where resides, but I can personally tell you as an American that it's already hit the US in a very big and disruptive way, and everyone is afraid that it's only going to get worse.

Movie theaters have pretty much shutdown nationwide. That has NEVER happened as far as I'm aware.
    Churches have closed too here. Including the Sacré Cœur in Paris. Which means that the "Perpetual Adoration" that was going on since it was built has stopped as well, for the first time since 1885.
    With Facebook and Fox News suggesting that COVID is actually a Chinese or Russian plot to destroy the West (which shows how many people don't think about things for even 2 seconds), who was ACTUALLY caught trying to weaponize COVID?

Domestic terrorists. Specifically, white supremacists.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/white-supremacists-coronavirus-bioweapon_n_5e76a0ebc5b6f5b7c5458af2
    “Violent extremists continue to make bioterrorism a popular topic among themselves,” reads the intelligence brief written by the Federal Protective Service, which covered the week of Feb. 17-24. “White Racially Motivated Violent Extremists have recently commented on the coronavirus stating that it is an ‘OBLIGATION’ to spread it should any of them contract the virus.”

The Federal Protective Service, part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, is a law enforcement agency responsible for protecting buildings owned or leased by the federal government. 

The intelligence brief, marked for official use only, noted the white supremacists “suggested targeting … law enforcement and minority communities, with some mention of public places in general.” According to the document, the extremists discussed a number of methods for coronavirus attacks, such spending time in public with perceived enemies, leaving “saliva on door handles” at local FBI offices, spitting on elevator buttons and spreading coronavirus germs in “nonwhite neighborhoods.”
    L.A sewers clogged with tshirts , lack of tp
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    To post something more lighthearted for a change:

A colleague of my wife's just reported the following: He is in sales/distribution of the company in question and had to visit a retail store tonight (or maybe last night). He runs into a man that has about 20 packs of toilet paper in his shopping cart, and finds that this is too much for him. He tells the guy with the shopping cart that he was acting egotistically and could never use up that amount of toilet paper anyway and should show some solidarity and respect and stop stockpiling and leave most of it to others who might need it.

The other guy listened quietly and said he fully agreed. But could he now please continue stocking up the toilet paper shelf?

That's one for Not Always Right, that's for sure.
    Poor Batman , he protects the innocents and now people think hes contagious :p
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Oh yeah, it's non-existent. Why? Because people that own the media/news corps and main news sites online decided flu is not sexy. Coronavirus is more sexy so let's hype that up and get the world hysterical.

I for one have had enough of this sickening hypocrisy. Yes, coronavirus is a horrible thing to die of, but so is flu. And no-one even cared about flu death rates, like ever. And that has a vaccine. So perhaps we should all stop this hysteria about coronavirus. People get old and get flu, get cancer, get cr. Some people don't even get the chance of life. They're aborted in the womb. So let's cut this cr hysteria. I'm sick of it. Sorry to rant but the hypocrisy of cr is staggering and I'm genuinely sick of it. If you gonna weep for dead Italians then maybe weep for the 23,000 dead flu victims in the US and elsewhere in the world. They're just as deserving.

Hahahahahaha... I’d like to punch you right now. 15 days of quarantine and counting... COVID killing more people in one day that the seasonal flu in a month and that’s your take on the situation? Wow... just wow... I have no words. This is not just offensive... it’s unbelievably out of the world. You will learn in a couple of weeks... even earlier most likely. Anyway the only thing u proved here is that there’s no limit to something I cannot say because I don’t want to get banned.
    matt_u wrote: »

Hahahahahaha... I’d like to punch you right now. 15 days of quarantine and counting... COVID killing more people in one day that the seasonal flu in a month and that’s your take on the situation? Wow... just wow... I have no words. This is not just offensive... it’s unbelievably out of the world. You will learn in a couple of weeks... even earlier most likely. Anyway the only thing u proved here is that there’s no limit to something I cannot say because I don’t want to get banned.

I'm amazed the moderators are allowing him to remain on this forum without even a warning, never mind a ban.

I'd like to think this person is just trolling everyone to be a WUM. Bad taste I know, considering the environment we are in now, but if he is not trolling, and actually being serious, then maybe he is suffering from a mental illness. We shouldn't really judge him, because we don't know what is going on in his life right now.
    You were all asked to ignore members that have opposing views too your own.
    Adding fuel to the fire is certainly not going to help.
    As I mentioned in my post above, if members continue to troll this thread, then action will be taken.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm amazed the moderators are allowing him to remain on this forum without even a warning, never mind a ban.

For the umptieth time: how would you know whether we warn someone or not? We never broadcast such a decision. Don't make angry assumptions without more information, please.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 4,600
    As a cultural issue, I'm very interested to find out if this is a new thing. I would suggest that, what ever the era and whatever the emergency, there has always been a minority who, for various reasons, choose to take the opposing view, even when evidence is stacked against them. I think the key difference is that inventions such as social media give them both a global platform and an equal platform.

In the town square of Pompei, for example, someone shouting, "it's just some fireworks" would have been shouted over by the majority and their voice literally not heard (thank goodness). The internet gives these contrasting voices equal footing and media attention ampifies this. The www has no conciousness and no idea which posts are reasonable and which are not: putting moderators under extreme pressure.

The psychology of those who choose the non-evidential path is fascinating to me and I do wonder if, independent of the issue (flat earth , moon landings, "this virus is just the flu" etc etc), these people have something in common which attracts them to a view which is non-evidence based and, perhaps more importantly, the attention that it brings? (you wont get to meet Philip and Holly on live TV by claiming that the Earth is a sphere)

Of course, mods also face a smaller challenge re "thread drift" so apologies in advance.
    Did you know that Asterix once battled Coronavirus ?

https://www.cbr.com/asterix-battled-coronavirus/

asterix-coronavirus2.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=452

Too bad there isn't a magic potion anymore to cure the disease, right, Getafix ?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    His name in the German edition is Caligarius.

I'm sorry @Thunderfinger what is the purpose of this?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Benny wrote: »

Just a comparison
    zebrafish wrote: »
    His name in the German edition is Caligarius.
    Yes, the translator and publisher in Germany found the name Coronavirus too unsavoury since there had already been major pandemics caused by types of coronavirus. So they decided to change the name. As an aside, the driver was also renamed from Bacillus to Bleifus (German "Bleifuß" = 'lead foot', someone who keeps flooring the gas pedal).