Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497
    China has just delivered 5.000.000 mouthmasks to Belgium.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,661
    California is now under lockdown!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51970815
    California has issued a "stay at home" order to residents as it tries to stem the march of the coronavirus across the most populous US state.

Governor Gavin Newsom told Californians they should only leave their homes when necessary during the pandemic.

He earlier estimated more than half of the 40 million people in his state would contract Covid-19 in just the next two months.

Must admit the notion 20 million will get coronavirus does seem far-fetched/fake news/or panic spreading but I am not an expert in viruses, hold no medical expertise so I could be ignorant and stupid to say that but my gut feeling is this has to be way worse than what the media/governments are telling us or it's insanely over-exaggerated. 20 million Californian citizens will get the virus in the next two months? Can that be true? But anyway, it's getting more and more concerning. Amazing and scary times we're going through. Hard to believe what's happening.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    And now, for something completely different, a bit of levity in those troubled times :

BTW, here, they closed all the parks and forest walkways. Including the park I use as a shortcut to and from work.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

California has issued a "stay at home" order to residents as it tries to stem the march of the coronavirus across the most populous US state.

Governor Gavin Newsom told Californians they should only leave their homes when necessary during the pandemic.

He earlier estimated more than half of the 40 million people in his state would contract Covid-19 in just the next two months.

Must admit the notion 20 million will get coronavirus does seem far-fetched/fake news/or panic spreading but I am not an expert in viruses, hold no medical expertise so I could be ignorant and stupid to say that but my gut feeling is this has to be way worse than what the media/governments are telling us or it's insanely over-exaggerated. 20 million Californian citizens will get the virus in the next two months? Can that be true? But anyway, it's getting more and more concerning. Amazing and scary times we're going through. Hard to believe what's happening.

Just watch the Sky News footage of Italy hospitals front line today, and it will give you the reality jolt you need. We are all on a trajectory now heading towards what Italy is going through. Some will cope better than others.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,034
    With the percentage rises remaining consistent here in Ireland, we are on course to be badly hit too. My brother is still at work - his engineering company are responsible for producing moulds for the testing kits. Three of the floor crew have been sent home since yesterday. Our Government's response has been lacklustre, unfortunately. All the abuse and mismanagement of key services over the last couple of decades has been laid bare for all to see.

It's going to be a rough one. It will get worse before it gets better.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

The thing is that not all carriers of the corona virus will suffer lethal consequences most of them will be a carrier therefor lethal for people in the risk zone, some will get and be mildly sick and then there are the seriously ill with a chance on a deadly outcome. The 20 million who get the Corona virus will not die of it but carry it nonetheless.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Italy records the single-worst day of the coronavirus outbreak with 475 deaths within the last 24 hours. They are now just under 3,000 deaths, and should overtake China as the worst-hit country by tomorrow, given their recent trajectory.

Italy has recorded nearly 5,500 new cases today, and 427 new deaths. As predicted, they have now overtaken China's total death count from coronavirus.

Italy has beaten their own record, with 627 new deaths today and nearly 6,000 new cases. They are now the first country to reach 4,000 deaths from the coronavirus.

Edit:

Boris Johnson announces that all cafes, pubs, bars, nightclubs, gyms, cinemas and restaurants in the UK will be closed until further notice.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Belgium's borders are now closed after many Dutch and German people crossed the borders to get cheaper fuel.
    The five Flemish universities will not resume physical lessons this year, instead opting for digital lessons only. How exams will be organised is up in the air completely. Many students disapprove of the decision.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    You're right and I apologize. Got carried away.

Nothing to apologize for. Trump screwed up big time. Not a political statement, but a fact. If that triggers his supporters, tough luck mate, just enjoy staying at home.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Based on the death-toll in Italy from the past few days, it's becoming clear that Europe and North America are basically doing nothing to stop the virus from spreading, and the situation will get a whole lot worse in the foreseeable future before we get any indication of a drop in infections/deaths. I wouldn't be surprised if the West's inaction will cause a second wave of outbreak in China.
    I think "doing nothing" is a little harsh?
    patb wrote: »

It isn't. China totally locked down their country. No buses, no trains, supermarkets closed, food rationing, entire cities being forbidden from going outside, 7pm curfews. No country in Europe or North America have taken any of these measures. Such measures that allowed China to contain the virus within 3 months (or 4 given the first case originated from November). Look at Italy. 500 deaths a day on average now. The most optimistic scenario says they will reach their peak in 2 weeks. Within next week they'll reach 1,000 deaths a day. The normal flu kills 750 people a month in Italy. And their quarantine measures is extremely mild compared to China. The UK just closed all non-essentials public places tonight, which is even later than Italy did. All public places should have been closed a month ago, if not more. France hosted a major election 2 days before shutting the country down. Our politicians are criminally underestimating the gravity of the situation.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It isn't. China totally locked down their country. No buses, no trains, supermarkets closed, food rationing, entire cities being forbidden from going outside, 7pm curfews. No country in Europe or North America have taken any of these measures. Such measures that allowed China to contain the virus within 3 months (or 4 given the first case originated from November). Look at Italy. 500 deaths a day on average now. The most optimistic scenario says they will reach their peak in 2 weeks. Within next week they'll reach 1,000 deaths a day. The normal flu kills 750 people a month in Italy.

Spot on. Here in Ireland, we cancelled the Ireland versus Italy Six Nations game, but for some reason allowed the thousands of Italian fans who had booked flights to come here for the entire weekend. A massive health and safety contradiction.

It's tone deaf decisions like that which have sunk the situation to the dire level that it's at currently. And it's going to get worse.

Sure, the European countries are slowing starting to cop on, but it's too late now.

It isn't. China totally locked down their country. No buses, no trains, supermarkets closed, food rationing, entire cities being forbidden from going outside, 7pm curfews. No country in Europe or North America have taken any of these measures. Such measures that allowed China to contain the virus within 3 months (or 4 given the first case originated from November). Look at Italy. 500 deaths a day on average now. The most optimistic scenario says they will reach their peak in 2 weeks. Within next week they'll reach 1,000 deaths a day. The normal flu kills 750 people a month in Italy. And their quarantine measures is extremely mild compared to China. The UK just closed all non-essentials public places tonight, which is even later than Italy did. All public places should have been closed a month ago, if not more. France hosted a major election 2 days before shutting the country down. Our politicians are criminally underestimating the gravity of the situation.

Totally agree.

One hospital in London has already now declared itself critical. There will be more to follow in the next week.
    To put some numbers in perspective: Italy's first death from coronavirus occurred on February 21st. 28 days later (today), they have 4,032 deaths. 14 days ago, they were still below 200 deaths (196 deceased on March 6th. 80% of those 4,032 deaths happened in the past 6 days. And at this rate, by next weekend they will most likely be well above 10,000 deaths. As a reminder, the normal flu kills 750 people a month in Italy. Coronavirus is currently killing over 450 people a day in Italy for the past 3 days.
    To put some numbers in perspective: Italy's first death from coronavirus occurred on February 21st. 28 days later (today), they have 4,032 deaths. 14 days ago, they were still below 200 deaths (196 deceased on March 6th. 80% of those 4,032 deaths happened in the past 6 days. And at this rate, by next weekend they will most likely be well above 10,000 deaths. As a reminder, the normal flu kills 750 people a month in Italy. Coronavirus is currently killing over 450 people a day in Italy for the past 3 days.

Scary to think where UK will be this time next week.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Fingers crossed that proper measures are being taken as we speak.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    28 days later (today)
    Apologies, couldn't let that pass without mention.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Spot on on everything you said.

BTW by the end of April Italy would most likely reach 40.000 deaths linked to coronavirus, based on some latest predictions. Which is insane. For us April will be the toughest month. It's beyond me how it is even possible that in Milan metro and public transports are still working full time. It's unbelievable. Anyway tomorrow will be my 15th day of quarantine without seeing or talking to anyone I know in person.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    First, I want to apologize for my (since deleted) political rant. I fully understand (and support) the reasons for why the moderators of these board want to limit political commentary.

Here in New York City, starting on Sunday, the entire state is to be adopt a “shelter in place” posture. Over the course of the week the percentage of workers allowed to travel to work has been lowered each day, so this latest policy wasn’t a surprise. Only, workers required for transportation, medical or health services, garbage pick-up, police, fire and food services are exempt. And, per last week’s policy, as of Monday, March 23rd, all students will study from home – via virtual classrooms.

That said, in many ways we’ve been lucky (until now?), as the images coming from places like Italy have been truly horrific.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    matt_u wrote: »

Spot on on everything you said.

BTW by the end of April Italy would most likely reach 40.000 deaths linked to coronavirus, based on some latest predictions. Which is insane. For us April will be the toughest month. It's beyond me how it is even possible that in Milan metro and public transports are still working full time. It's unbelievable. Anyway tomorrow will be my 15th day of quarantine without seeing or talking to anyone I know in person.

I can't imagine. I live in Phoenix, AZ. Our restrictions are less severe at the moment: all public places are closed, except for public parks, and most restaurants still have take-out available. In my neighborhood, people are taking this $#!t seriously.
  • stromberg_CBnstromberg_CBn Saarland / Germany
    Quantum-Social-Distance.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Brilliant. I want to post it on my Instagram. :P
  • stromberg_CBnstromberg_CBn Saarland / Germany
    Brilliant. I want to post it on my Instagram. :P
    Feel free to do so.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Its getting bad in New York definitely FEMA declared a disaster area https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/nyregion/ny-coronavirus-hospitals.amp.html
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    7 feet huh. Taking no chances.

But Camille.