Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm also not sure the group immunity experiments they're talking about is such a good idea.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    matt_u wrote: »
    Italy records the single-worst day of the coronavirus outbreak with 475 deaths within the last 24 hours. They are now just under 3,000 deaths, and should overtake China as the worst-hit country by tomorrow, given their recent trajectory.

Exactly... and you know why? Because it’s hard to force Italians to stay home, given also a weak and not elected government. If u tell the Chinese to do one thing they will do it. Italians, it’s a different story...

Anyway in Italy the dead are the 8,5% of the infected. Half of the infected are from the very same region, Lombardy (which is funnily the most productive region in the UE) and with the 2nd best healthcare in the country...

The NHS is nowhere near as strong as Italy's, and Londoners are not taking this seriously enough (just like the Italians didn't). It's not helped by Boris and his half assed attempts at advising people to stay home, rather than ordering.

I'm predicting London will be the massive epicentre of Europe within 10 days, and will exceed what has happened in Italy. Disaster is looming for us in the UK.

You’re right about the NHS and the fact that the Lombardy healthcare is facing such a devastating situation gives an idea on how bad things could turn without strong precautions and obviously the help of the citizens... now Germany has 11.000 cases and Spain almost 16.000... Italy has 35.000 but here things started a week/10 days earlier so your prediction about the UK sounds correct.
    "It's not helped by Boris and his half assed attempts at advising people"

I love some people's definition of "non-political"
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,469
    I plan to get in the sun more than I have, and make another batch of homemade yogurt to help my immune system, which is already good. UV rays stimulate the body to produce more Vitamin D to help the immune system fight off infection, even though coronavirus may be strong enough to get past a healthy immune system. But I think every little thing helps. So far it seems the verdict is out on whether warmer weather will at least slow the spread of it--it'll be interesting to see what happens through spring and summer in the northern hemisphere. I'm really good at making yogurt. I do it because I've read homemade yogurt contains much more healthful probiotic bacteria than store-bought yogurt due to longer incubation process, and it seems to have had a positive effect for me. Yes it's only a minor help to boost health but a help nonetheless. Now I just need to exercise more!
    patb wrote: »
    "It's not helped by Boris and his half assed attempts at advising people"

I love some people's definition of "non-political"

I apologise sincerely for writing that, and if it deeply offended you.
  • No Time to Die won't be released in theaters in November. Streaming? Maybe. But forget a November theatrical release. It ain't gonne happen!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm also not sure the group immunity experiments they're talking about is such a good idea.

I think they have now given up on that approach
    vzok wrote: »

I think they have now given up on that approach

Probably very wise.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Australian prime minister has closed the boarders for all non citizens and residents, effective 9pm aedst.
    In a bid to stop the spread of Covid-19.
    https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/coronavirus/prime-minister-scott-morrison-closes-australian-borders-to-non-citizens-and-non-residents-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-ng-b881494171z
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Italy records the single-worst day of the coronavirus outbreak with 475 deaths within the last 24 hours. They are now just under 3,000 deaths, and should overtake China as the worst-hit country by tomorrow, given their recent trajectory.

Exactly... and you know why? Because it’s hard to force Italians to stay home, given also a weak and not elected government. If u tell the Chinese to do one thing they will do it. Italians, it’s a different story...

Anyway in Italy the dead are the 8,5% of the infected. Half of the infected are from the very same region, Lombardy (which is funnily the most productive region in the UE) and with the 2nd best healthcare in the country...

The NHS is nowhere near as strong as Italy's, and Londoners are not taking this seriously enough (just like the Italians didn't). It's not helped by Boris and his half assed attempts at advising people to stay home, rather than ordering.

I'm predicting London will be the massive epicentre of Europe within 10 days, and will exceed what has happened in Italy. Disaster is looming for us in the UK.

Oh boy. What a cheery soul you are! ;)) :-S

Italy has different health/hospital standards to the UK so it doesn't mean the UK will experience what happened in Italy. Fingers crossed it won't. Also, the UK has had longer to prepare for any spike in cr sufferers so that's one positive way to look at it.There's no point being too negative. Leave that to the media and fake news people!

fanbond123 wrote: »

Oh boy. What a cheery soul you are! ;)) :-S

Italy has different health/hospital standards to the UK so it doesn't mean the UK will experience what happened in Italy. Fingers crossed it won't. Also, the UK has had longer to prepare for any spike in cr sufferers so that's one positive way to look at it.There's no point being too negative. Leave that to the media and fake news people!

Italy's health service is the 2nd best in the world, whereas we are ranked 18 - which is my point.

And the fact that we didn't shut down like other European countries are doing, its not too difficult to predict where we are heading.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    185 official cases here, 4 died, these are just official reports, we don't actually know yet how many unreported cases has been going around. Although government has started taking corrective measures here a bit late. I agree with @jetsetwilly that most of them should have learn their lesson from Italy and should have shut down before it gets out of hand.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Three more Formula 1 races have been postponed due to the coronavirus. The opening 7 races (Australia, Bahrain, China, Vietnam, Netherlands, Spain, Monaco) of the season have now been delayed/cancelled.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    Might a long time till we see Bond. A u.s. report might be 18 months wait. Including multiple waves here in the u.s. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/19/health/us-coronavirus-case-updates-thursday/index.html
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Italy has recorded nearly 5,500 new cases today, and 427 new deaths. As predicted, they have now overtaken China's total death count from coronavirus.

Italy has recorded nearly 5,500 new cases today, and 427 new deaths. As predicted, they have now overtaken China's total death count from coronavirus.

This is awful for the Italians, and everyone. I dont know the figures but would assume that the Lombardy region of Italy has a greater proportion of older people than London. London's population has an average age of 40 years, the average age of people tragically dying in Italy is over 80.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    God bless Italy :(
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Those numbers must be put into perspective. In Lombardy lots of people dies at home because of COVID without being tested. So actually the number of real deaths connected to the virus would be even higher. Yesterday a 32 years old died marking the youngest coronavirus casualty in the country, if not, ever.
    Matt007 wrote: »

This is awful for the Italians, and everyone. I dont know the figures but would assume that the Lombardy region of Italy has a greater proportion of older people than London. London's population has an average age of 40 years, the average age of people tragically dying in Italy is over 80.

Point is: if there is not enough space in IC lot of people in their 40/50 will die too. That's why it is capital to slow down the curve and prevent infections.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Why didn't anyone listen?

edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    The 2020 Cannes Film Festival has been postponed due to the coronavirus situation.

https://variety.com/2020/biz/festivals/cannes-film-festival-postponed-late-june-dates-being-considered-1203539435/
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,550
    No-one listens because a worldwide viral outbreak feels as unrealistic to many as, say, an alien invasion.

After SARS, virologists asked for money to prepare for new, possible SARS-like viruses, like this one. Had they been given a small percentage of what governments pay for their military machine, we could have had an effective vaccine at this point.

But why believe scientists? When has that ever paid off except -- I dunno -- always? It's terrible that just a week or so ago, America was told by some senile fool that Corona is all just a hoax spread by the democrats...

Maybe this is a good wake-up call for climate change. You know, another "hoax".
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 4,600
    Politicians are elected on short term policies and the voters largely respond to these. Any party proposing a policy of long term investment to combat the threat of a viral outbreak that has not happend yet, has no name, no details and could strike in 20/30/40 years (when many of those paying for the infrastructure will be dead) - best of luck with that. This is across the board - not targeting any one political party. It's just the human condition and, eventually, will be our undoing.

Minions 2: Rise of Gru becomes the first major summer tentpole movie to be delayed indefinitely due to the coronavirus situation.
    No-one listens because a worldwide viral outbreak feels as unrealistic to many as, say, an alien invasion.

After SARS, virologists asked for money to prepare for new, possible SARS-like viruses, like this one. Had they been given a small percentage of what governments pay for their military machine, we could have had an effective vaccine at this point.

But why believe scientists? When has that ever paid off except -- I dunno -- always? It's terrible that just a week or so ago, America was told by some senile fool that Corona is all just a hoax spread by the democrats...

i thought this was a nonpolitical thread @DarthDimi
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Shows the general problem. Covid-19 is nothing to be discussed unless one gets into the political aspects of it. It just happens, no matter what. It's the treatment of the crisis by the governments/administrations/politicians that is eminently political, or we needn't talk about it except for sharing the latest disaster figures. Which everybody has anyway.

There is no member here that can truly offer epidemiological advice or something on that scale. So I'm afraid that the direction by our (benevolent, no doubt) board masters to keep this non-political has been dead in the water from the beginning.

And I'm confident this posting turned out as non-political itself as it can get.
    It is now about a lot of choices being made to contain or fight the pandemic as well as any single government can and they all calculated wrongly with the earlier SARS outbreak which is now going to haunt every political party because whatever choice they make the amount of dead people will be staggering I expect.
    And people by whatever nationality will act like an idiot until somebody dies they know and then the finger-pointing commences.

This feels like the wrath of mother nature who is seriously pissed of with the current "intelligent " life on this world who have shown that we still make the wrong choices economical or political. In my personal vision all politics and economic choice that were made led us up this path and I sincerely hope that together we find a solution and then alter the pharmaceutical industry in such a way that any disease will be looked into and get a vaccine no matter the economical sense behind it.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,554
    007Blofeld wrote: »

giphy.gif

Just a little humor, @DarthDimi :D
    You're right and I apologize. Got carried away.
    You're right and I apologize. Got carried away.

your forgiven @DarthDimi