No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    That's the least of our concerns now, but there can also be too much panicking. If you know what I mean.

EDXKPYq.gif
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    All in all, NTTD needs to be a success, whatever medium they choose to release it(Hopefully, in Cinemas)....it needs to be a commercial & critical success in order to give birth to Bond 26. It might sound odd, but even if am yet to see NTTD, am eager to see what Happens with Bond 26....am sure this might be the first time fans are really eager to see where the franchise goes after a Bond actor steps down.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,962
    If a $30-40 charge per stream is the only way they could foresee a returning similar to what they were expecting from a theatrical release, I'm not sure they'd go for it. That's a hefty sum.

People routinely pay $30-40 VOD for a boxing match. A new Bond release has remained an event--that's the upside to getting a new film every five years--so I can see them releasing it for $40 or $50...

...especially since a vaccine is 18 months out. Who is going to sit comfortably in a theater in November with no vaccine available?
    echo wrote: »
    If a $30-40 charge per stream is the only way they could foresee a returning similar to what they were expecting from a theatrical release, I'm not sure they'd go for it. That's a hefty sum.

People routinely pay $30-40 VOD for a boxing match. A new Bond release has remained an event--that's the upside to getting a new film every five years--so I can see them releasing it for $40 or $50...

...especially since a vaccine is 18 months out. Who is going to sit comfortably in a theater in November with no vaccine available?

Who says it won't be available?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Can you provide any idea of what the revenue for such a sports event ultimately totalled at? Is it $500million or above?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    JamesCraig wrote: »

One example:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-vaccine-update-when-covid-19-cure-how-long-uk/

Get ready for 12-18 months of waiting.

Exactly. Anyone thinking things will have improved by November is ignoring all available evidence. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong though. It could easily be another 1+ years before we see the film if they insist on releasing in theaters.

And then on top of that they probably won't even begin to think about B26 until 1-2 years after NTTD is released.

Really hope the fates prove me wrong though cause like all of you I'm beyond excited for the film.
  • manovermanover uk
    Personally im hoping for a theatrical release...if it needs to be delayed until 2021..so be it
    The_Return wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    If it happens, and by November the market won't be suitable for a theatrical release, that could lead to NTTD being released online.

100% agree. I simply can't see how they could release NTTD in theaters in November. Even if the virus is stopped by November, this will be a global depression, the biggest in 100 years. Online release in November? Maybe. Theatrical release this year? Forget it.

Movies were released during The Great Depression. Bond films should be on the big screen. I’ll wait. I’ll be there whenever it premiers.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Burgess wrote: »
    If it happens, and by November the market won't be suitable for a theatrical release, that could lead to NTTD being released online.

100% agree. I simply can't see how they could release NTTD in theaters in November. Even if the virus is stopped by November, this will be a global depression, the biggest in 100 years. Online release in November? Maybe. Theatrical release this year? Forget it.

Movies were released during The Great Depression. Bond films should be on the big screen. I’ll wait. I’ll be there whenever it premiers.

The difference is that the economic depression wasn t contagious in that sense, even though it did kill the sick and elderly too.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

The difference is that the economic depression wasn t contagious in that sense, even though it did kill the sick and elderly too.

They say it could be worse then the great depression even I've seen things are only going to get crazier.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

They say it could be worse then the great depression even I've seen things are only going to get crazier.

Worse for the populace perhaps, but the finance lords will grow even stronger.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ugh I wish I was a finance lord.
    Ugh I wish I was a finance lord.

I am sure you would be more benign and compassionate than the ones we have now.
  • In the news they're now speculating that the restrictive measures we've seen governments taken to last at least 12 months - if that's the case I can't see NTTD being released in cinemas in November - who knew that Daniel Craig's tenure would go on even longer!?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    In the news they're now speculating that the restrictive measures we've seen governments taken to last at least 12 months - if that's the case I can't see NTTD being released in cinemas in November - who knew that Daniel Craig's tenure would go on even longer!?

I'm no scientist or doctor...but it's a little too early to tell.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Billy Magnussen on NTTD:

https://mlmanhattan.com/billy-magnussen-hero-journey

The Bond brand is legendary, and No Time to Die will forever place Magnussen among a special class of actors who’ve been part of the series. “It’s a pinch-myself moment, and to be part of this is an honor,” Magnussen says of his role as CIA agent Logan Ash. Naturally, he’s a fan of the series and understands its decadeslong appeal. “Everyone has that hero’s journey in them,” he says.

He’s particularly excited about this iteration of Bond, marking No. 25, because its director, Cary Joji Fukunaga, is the first American to direct a movie in the series. Magnussen previously worked with Fukunaga on Maniac, a limited series on Netflix also starring Emma Stone and Jonah Hill. “In this industry, there are lots of people who are just colleagues, but I’m happy to call Cary a friend. I love him,” says Magnussen. “He’s one of the hardest-working guys in this business, always pushing to do something better. He operates on a different level and brings so much excitement and a different perspective to Bond. And the fact that he got Hans Zimmer and Billie Eilish to do the music—are you kidding me?”
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I understand people wanting to see the film, but why would we hope for it to appear in a way that would seriously put it in doubt of being a financial success? Utterly baffling.

Completely agree Sir. The loss by releasing on streaming services would be immeasurable. Despite fans wanting to see NTTD, a further delay would be the most plausible situation if things don't change.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

One example:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-vaccine-update-when-covid-19-cure-how-long-uk/

Get ready for 12-18 months of waiting.

Right, because the Telegraph says so.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited March 2020 Posts: 467
    And if it were released in VOD, it would be in degraded quality. As the networks in Europe are much in use for teleworking or streaming from home, companies such as Netflix and YouTube have agreed to restrict their bandwidth in order to prevent saturation. For instance, you can’t presently watch a show in HD on Netflix. Expect to get the same in the US by the next two or three weeks.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    As a fan and a lay man these are my thoughts on it;
    - Would another a delay be preferable to EON and all concerned than a streaming release? YES

- Would another delay to maybe spring '21 be preferred by Me? SADLY, YES

- Would an even further delay be ok with me? NO BECAUSE IF THE WORLD IS STILL IN THIS POSITION IN ONE YEAR'S TIME WE WILL NEED SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO!

- Would a worldwide cinematic release be better for the studio etc and the world's economies? YES DEFINITELY AND NEVER MORE NEEDED.

- Is it inconceivable that NTTD will premiere on streaming? NOT ANY MORE, NOTHING WOULD SUPRISE ME NOW ABOUT ANY WALK OF LIFE.

- Would a streaming release(s) massively hurt the studios? POSSIBLY, LOOK HOW FRAGILE THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY SEEM TO BE.

- Would a streaming release ruin Bond's future as a tenable property? ABSOLUTELY NOT, IF NTTD MAKES A LOSS EVERYONE WILL KNOW IT WAS BECAUSE OF THE UNPRECEDENTED REASONS NOT THE QUALITY / VIABILITY OF BOND.

What ever happens "James Bond will Return" ... please be quick.
    As the worldwide situation to the corona virus changes daily, who knows what we'll be looking at come November.
    It's quite likely that we'll be in much the same situation we have now. Or maybe not.
    As far as film studios go, and EON we can only wait. In the event that the virus is with us for the long haul, then perhaps EON will choose to go with a streaming release of NTTD.
    I hope they don't. I have patience.
    We have 24 Bond films too keep us occupied till NTTD eventually comes out.
    Surely the health and safety of the world is more important than any film. Even a Bond film.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Yes absolutely. I must say like every other Bond fan I was gutted when it was delayed.
    Now just a couple of weeks on my Bond film's release seems insignificant now. I never thought I'd say that. The world is under massive pressure, my country is hurting right now in every way imaginable. Businesses and individuals, families and friends are in trouble.
    I feel almost selfish talking about myself in comparison to the bigger picture. BUT my job, my livelihood, my anxiety are under threat and like many other I'm trying to navigate through something we've never experienced before while trying to support other people.
    James Bond has to return because when he does it might just mean we are recovering from all this.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Apologies. I know that wasn't about the production I just wanted to vent.
    I hear you @cwl007
    Part of me would like to see it released in April on a streaming service. And I'd pay any money too see it. Then the other part of me can wait. Till we're over this terrible virus that has closed the world.
    I can understand we need something good in our lives right now. Something to give us a lift. And NTTD would surely do that.
    The thing is, even when all of this is over, or practically over, it'll be a while until folk regain trust and enough confidence to go out to very crowded places, like movie theatres. Fear will last a bit after the virus is contained, unless a vaccine is well distributed by then, and it won't be, not in November anyway.

So I don't know if a theatrical release will give us the same number as in past circumstances. I hope it will. But I just don't know.

If this gets very prolonged in time, say for a year and a half, EON will be doing us and everyone a humanitarian service by releasing it online, so we can have some hope and something to look forwards to. Heck, if it's as good as they say it is, I'll watch it later in the cinema as well.

As things are, I agree with @cwl007's post above.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it’s a nice comfort to know there’s a Bond film to look forward to at (hopefully) the end of this.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 6,677
    mtm wrote: »
    I think it’s a nice comfort to know there’s a Bond film to look forward to at (hopefully) the end of this.

That's true.

But I'd also like to consider those Bond fans that are infected or are suspicious of it and are confined to their homes and fears, and have no notion if they'll live to see that day. There is a large demographic of Bond fans in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and even 80s, you know? And some are under vigilance and self quarantine. I know that seeing a film of their beloved secret agent is not on their minds right now, not as much as, say, surviving; but it could very well be a balm for them to see it streamed.

Just considering something that hasn't been considered.