No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,554
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Here is new article from the telegraph
    "This is an article from the online edition of The Telegraph. I have taken the liberty of cutting and pasting it whole, to save you from the irritating subscription requests. Enjoy"
    "James Bond is confronted by '2020 women' in new film after harassing them in the workplace, says star
    There were rumours last year that a woman would be the new 007
    By Helena Horton
    Premium
    Lashana Lynch, who plays Nomi, said the film has had a #MeToo update Credit: Nicole Dove
    James Bond is confronted by '2020 women' in the new film after harassing them in the workplace, one of the stars has said.
    The womanising character's behaviour towards his female colleagues is questioned in the #MeToo age, Lashana Lynch, who plays new spy Nomi said.
    Saying she would feel "uncomfortable" playing a "Bond Girl", the star explained that No Time To Die has updated the franchise's view towards women for a more equal age.
    Ms Lynch told the Sunday Times magazine: "I was more concerned as to how Nomi holds her own in a male-dominated space. And it's exciting to see Bond try to be his normal self among women of a 2020 mindset.
    "The reaction to him is what's important. You see how women like Nomi have to deal with men like him in the workplace."
    The actor added that her character could be seen as more senior than Bond in the new film as her methods are "more up-to-date".
    She said: "Bond's been gone a long time and now here comes this new agent who is hungry. Yes, you could say she thinks she is more capable of getting the job done in 2020, since her methods are up to date."

Last year, there were rumours that Nomi would be the new 007, taking the title from her older colleague.
    When asked if she saw the rumours, she said: "I did, I'm really glad that conversation's happening. Because black women have very rarely in cinema been given the opportunity to be in power, where they're able to be the example."
    Daniel Craig this weekend insisted that the delayed No Time To Die will be his final Bond film, meaning a replacement will have to be found soon.
    Craig had been set to appear in his fifth Bond movie next month, but its release was pushed back to November due to the global spread ofcoronavirus.
    While it had been widely believed a new actor would take over following No Time To Die, recent reports suggested Craig was contemplating staying on.
    However, he used his hosting gig on Saturday Night Live to confirm it would be his final 007 film."

I respect Lynch and respect the MeToo movement, but...wtf is she talking about? Has she even watched CR or QoS or SF or SP?

Here is a rundown of his only "questionable" moments toward colleagues:

CR:
    1. Bond breaks into M.s house. Bad but not an example of misogyny.
    2. Bond tells Vesper she's a "bloody idiot." Oooooo. Bad? Maybe. But Vesper is the one who demonstrates lack of respect toward Bond throughout much of the film. (The shower scene is not indicatiove of a man who hates women.)

QoS:
    1. Bond defies M (what else is new?)
    2. Bond seduces Fields. OK. Maybe? But Fields was sent (in a trenchcoat, and theroretically nothing on underneath) to seduce him. MI6 used her, not Bond.

SF:
    1. Again Bond breaks into M's house.
    2. Bond flirts with Moneypenny. But actually: it is the other way around.

SP
    1. Bond asks Moneypenny to be his mole. Not bad. Actually, this is a sign that he trusts her.

That's it. Am I missing anything????
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,526
    TripAces wrote: »
    "This is an article from the online edition of The Telegraph. I have taken the liberty of cutting and pasting it whole, to save you from the irritating subscription requests. Enjoy"
    "James Bond is confronted by '2020 women' in new film after harassing them in the workplace, says star
    By Helena Horton
    Premium
    Lashana Lynch, who plays Nomi, said the film has had a #MeToo update Credit: Nicole Dove
    James Bond is confronted by '2020 women' in the new film after harassing them in the workplace, one of the stars has said.
    The womanising character's behaviour towards his female colleagues is questioned in the #MeToo age, Lashana Lynch, who plays new spy Nomi said.
    Saying she would feel "uncomfortable" playing a "Bond Girl", the star explained that No Time To Die has updated the franchise's view towards women for a more equal age.
    Ms Lynch told the Sunday Times magazine: "I was more concerned as to how Nomi holds her own in a male-dominated space. And it's exciting to see Bond try to be his normal self among women of a 2020 mindset.
    "The reaction to him is what's important. You see how women like Nomi have to deal with men like him in the workplace."
    The actor added that her character could be seen as more senior than Bond in the new film as her methods are "more up-to-date".
    She said: "Bond's been gone a long time and now here comes this new agent who is hungry. Yes, you could say she thinks she is more capable of getting the job done in 2020, since her methods are up to date."

Last year, there were rumours that Nomi would be the new 007, taking the title from her older colleague.
    When asked if she saw the rumours, she said: "I did, I'm really glad that conversation's happening. Because black women have very rarely in cinema been given the opportunity to be in power, where they're able to be the example."
    Daniel Craig this weekend insisted that the delayed No Time To Die will be his final Bond film, meaning a replacement will have to be found soon.
    Craig had been set to appear in his fifth Bond movie next month, but its release was pushed back to November due to the global spread ofcoronavirus.
    While it had been widely believed a new actor would take over following No Time To Die, recent reports suggested Craig was contemplating staying on.
    However, he used his hosting gig on Saturday Night Live to confirm it would be his final 007 film."

I respect Lynch and respect the MeToo movement, but...wtf is she talking about? Has she even watched CR or QoS or SF or SP?

CR:
    2. Bond tells Vesper she's a "bloody idiot." Oooooo. Bad? Maybe. But Vesper is the one who demonstrates lack of respect toward Bond throughout much of the film. (The shower scene is not indicatiove of a man who hates women.)

QoS:
    2. Bond seduces Fields. OK. Maybe? But Fields was sent (in a trenchcoat, and theroretically nothing on underneath) to seduce him. MI6 used her, not Bond.

SF:

SP
    1. Bond asks Moneypenny to be his mole. Not bad. Actually, this is a sign that he trusts her.

What on earth makes you think this is true? This is definitely you writing something of your own into the film; the film itself does nothing to support this.

I agree with you though, this era has been better than previous with regards to its treatment of women.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,951
    Glad to know it will have a more consistent aspect ratio when IMAX sequences play out, like how it was done with GHOST PROTOCOL, as opposed to how Nolan did it with his films where it was just a mix of different ratios.

Although to be honest when I'm watching in IMAX I almost never notice the ratio change because the screen is so big that the top and bottom are almost out of my peripheral vision! :D
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,395
    Sony has announced that Bloodshot will be released on digital media on March 24th, 11 days after the film was released in theaters nationwide.

It seems ike the film industry is about to radically change how movies are released.

Will they release a film that we actually want to watch?

Maybe Eon will reconsider and put out NTTD (digitally) ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    By Helena Horton
    Premium

CR:

QoS:

SF:

SP

So are we complaining that people are saying Bond is a misogynist now? I can't keep up with the list of things apparently wrong with Lashana Lynch, which for some reason to have grown since fans saw her face ;)

I tend to watch the Craig films and although Bond's obviously moved with the time, he still has a certain attitude to women (such as approaching them in the shower!) which doesn't actually ring untrue with the idea of him treating female colleagues in a dubious way. He shagged one and tried it on with Moneypenny when she came over to shave him. The only other one was M, and he thought she was his mum! :D Out of three, that's not a normal HR file he has there!
    :D
    I'm not sure I'd say Vesper is his colleague entirely, but hey look: he shags her too :D
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,554
    By Helena Horton
    Premium

CR:

QoS:

SF:

SP

What on earth makes you think this is true? This is definitely you writing something of your own into the film; the film itself does nothing to support this.

I agree with you though, this era has been better than previous with regards to its treatment of women.

I am pretty certain that her plan is to sleep with Bond to convince him to go back to London. Consider the following clues:

1. Fields shows up to put Bond back on the first plane to London. But it doesn't leave until the next morning.
    2. She is wearing a trenchcoat in South America. Think about that one. LOL. There is no indication from anyone else's attire at the airport that the weather has been unpleasant. Add to this: Bolivia is in the middle of a dought. The taxi cab driver even complains that it either rains too much or not enough...this is a "not enough" period. Make no mistake: the trechcoat is "theoretically" being worn for reasons that have nothing to do with rain.
    3. When she says "My orders are to turn you around..." She looks right as Bond's crotch.
    4. Where is Fields taking Bond? To a HOTEL! Why? If she is from the consulate, one would think she'd take Bond to the embassy to hold him until morning. Nope. Instead, she takes him to a hotel where she has a reservation. Hmmm.
    5. When Bond gets the hotel room at The Andrean, it is clear that he and Fields are staying together: she enters first, as though this is "expected."

What Fields did not anticipate is Bond turning the tables on her.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    By Helena Horton
    Premium

CR:

QoS:

SF:

SP

I am pretty certain that her plan is to sleep with Bond to convince him to go back to London. Consider the following clues:

1. Fields shows up to put Bond back on the first plane to London. But it doesn't leave until the next morning.
    2. She is wearing a trenchcoat in South America. Think about that one. LOL. There is no indication from anyone else's attire at the airport that the weather has been unpleasant. Add to this: Bolivia is in the middle of a dought. The taxi cab driver even complains that it either rains too much or not enough...this is a "not enough" period. Make no mistake: the trechcoat is "theoretically" being worn for reasons that have nothing to do with rain.
    3. When she says "My orders are to turn you around..." She looks right as Bond's crotch.
    4. Where is Fields taking Bond? To a HOTEL! Why? If she is from the consulate, one would think she'd take Bond to the embassy to hold him until morning. Nope. Instead, she takes him to a hotel where she has a reservation. Hmmm.
    5. When Bond gets the hotel room at The Andrean, it is clear that he and Fields are staying together: she enters first, as though this is "expected."

I mean, it's a theory, and I do like to see readings which add a bit more to a film (I rather like the idea that Bond is a Russian double agent in FYEO for example! :D ) but I don't really think you can criticise Lashana Lynch for not sharing your rather unique analysis of that character, do you?
  • Sony has announced that Bloodshot will be released on digital media on March 24th, 11 days after the film was released in theaters nationwide.

It seems ike the film industry is about to radically change how movies are released.

Will they release a film that we actually want to watch?

Yeah, Bloodshot has already pretty much cratered at the box office, and even if it hadn't, it only cost about $45 million. Roughly $205 million less than NTTD.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Maybe Lynch's Nomi could well turn out to be an electrifying character....maybe she needs to talk less & let November speak for itself...so she doesn't get premature dislike.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,025
    She was getting premature dislikes since the day Lynch was cast. If Nomi had been just another heterosexual white male, we wouldn't see the same amount of complaints.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    By Helena Horton
    Premium

CR:

QoS:

SF:

SP

Lol fair enough, and this is very creative, but it feels like confirmation bias to me.

Rather than clues in the film leading you to a conclusion, you had your conclusion already and are manipulating things that happen in the film to fit your conclusion.

Things like "she glances at Bond's crotch" means she's there to seduce him. I highly doubt in the writers room they were like "ok, we'll now have her look at Bond's crotch, and that'll communicate to the audience that MI6 sent Fields to seduce Bond".

I could be wrong but this is my feeling on it.
    mtm wrote: »
    By Helena Horton
    Premium

CR:

QoS:

SF:

SP

I mean, it's a theory, and I do like to see readings which add a bit more to a film (I rather like the idea that Bond is a Russian double agent in FYEO for example! :D ) but I don't really think you can criticise Lashana Lynch for not sharing your rather unique analysis of that character, do you?

I'd have to look deeply at that one. I have spent so much time studying DC's four films that I know them like the back of my hand. It's pretty sad, actually. LOL
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    She was getting premature dislikes since the day Lynch was cast.

Yeah, a certain section of fandom had it in for her as soon as she appeared. I wouldn't like to say what their reasoning is...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Lynch does nothing for me personally, but I'm not going to keep going on about it because at the end of the day, she is an actress in a Bond film. Her job is to hype herself up, and that's what she has been doing. Granted, the tampon thing was a very silly thing to say, but the things she's been quoted as saying are not really that much different to what any other actress has said about their respective roles in the build up. Her character will serve a purpose like all the others do, and hopefully she will surprise me by being memorable in ways that some of those others weren't. She does look good in her combat outfit.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Lynch does nothing for me personally, but I'm not going to keep going on about it because at the end of the day, she is an actress in a Bond film. Her job is to hype herself up, and that's what she has been doing. Granted, the tampon thing was a very silly thing to say, but the things she's been quoted as saying are not really that much different to what any other actress has said about their respective roles in the build up. Her character will serve a purpose like all the others do, and hopefully she will surprise me by being memorable in ways that some of those others weren't. She does look good in her combat outfit.

Yeah exactly; I think the idea of an ageing Bond finding himself replaced by a woman is a rather fun and irresistible one, and it's a rather neat idea to end the era of the Bond we saw become 007 as a rookie by having him meet a young agent who's just taken the mantle of a double O for the first time.

As someone once sang:
    "Arm yourself because no-one else here will save you
    The odds will betray you
    And I will replace you"

:)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Yeah exactly; I think the idea of an ageing Bond finding himself replaced by a woman is a rather fun and irresistible one, and it's a rather neat idea to end the era of the Bond we saw become 007 as a rookie by having him meet a young agent who's just taken the mantle of a double O for the first time.

As someone once sang:
    "Arm yourself because no-one else here will save you
    The odds will betray you
    And I will replace you"

:)

Ha! Nice touch. :)
    Basically, the last hope for cinemas is WW84

Before last week, I was actively hoping other films would join NTTD and get postponed. However, considering the situation is now much worse than it was two weeks ago (was it only two weeks ago that it was pushed?!?), we need cinemas and the industry back on its feet.

NTTD can't be the first blockbusters audiences flock to. We need cinemas to be back on their feet by June for WW84 and Top Gun 2.

Otherwise, we may be looking at a situation where 2020 is off the menu entirely and NTTD looks more and more likely as a VOD release.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 309
    Basically, the last hope for cinemas is WW84

Before last week, I was actively hoping other films would join NTTD and get postponed. However, considering the situation is now much worse than it was two weeks ago (was it only two weeks ago that it was pushed?!?), we need cinemas and the industry back on its feet.

NTTD can't be the first blockbusters audiences flock to. We need cinemas to be back on their feet by June for WW84 and Top Gun 2.

Otherwise, we may be looking at a situation where 2020 is off the menu entirely and NTTD looks more and more likely as a VOD release.

NTTD is no more likely to be a VOD release than Black Widow, Mulan, WW84 or Top Gun. They'd loose money by releasing a $200m+ movie on VOD, or any other streaming platform. Movie theaters will open again. Maybe not all at once but showings will ramp up by November (God willing). Anyway, there's Tenet on July 17th, Morbius on July 31st and Jungle Cruise on July 24th. Not to mention other releases of varying budgets and buzz throughout the summer.

I'm sure Disney hasn't announced a new release date for Mulan or BW because they're assessing the feasibility of releasing either movie this summer. If things improve by the middle of May then expect some release date announcements.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I agree, @Burgess. NTTD going straight to streaming is pretty much ridiculous. Obvious bad business on many sides including for the waiting audience.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Contraband wrote: »
    This is a must-read. One of my followers wrote: "American Cinematographer" have 13 pages of NTTD tech goodness in their forthcoming april issue, as well as interviews with some DPs from previous Bond films
    NAzUHKy.jpg

Here you go, page 28-35 and 48-58

https://docdro.id/zVBItTD

Pics from the long article

nBAzHwu.jpg
    h6U0sTz.jpg
    RqA1yXo.jpg
    mHxvh2Y.jpg
    1XMYxek.jpg
    A4maRpT.jpg
    PkR3n9O.jpg
    2TB8I3q.jpg

This is awesome! I have the QOS issue of American Cinematographer. It's posts like these that will help get us through the months of agony. As usual, cheers for sharing :)>-
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Nokia launch live in 7 hours. New phones ft. in NTTD. Maybe also showing the ad with Lashana as Nomi.

That brief scene in the trailer or some spot with Craig holding a phone to his ear is the new Nokia 8.2 that will launch today

Nice! Very good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thanks Contraband! We need a 'like' button on here :)
    Nice one. M has a new phone too, which looks to be the same as Bond's, and Q possesses two phones, including an old Nokia 3210 and perhaps a new 'Nokia Originals' retro one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    they're making retro mobile phones now? Wow, that's one way to make you feel old.. :D
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Not sure if all gonna appear in NTTD but they will launch Nokia 8.2, Nokia 3310 and a 5G handset. Time will tell.

And the unseen ad with Lashana Lynch also stars Ralph Fiennes as M plus it flirts with Q using the tagline "the only gadget you will ever need".
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Thanks Contraband! We need a 'like' button on here :)

Thank God, we don't have like, upvote or any of those buttons to give people more validation about being more superior. One of the many reasons i don't use much social media anymore :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Sad-face, Dislike, down-vote

;)
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,541
    Hahaha ok that was a good one.
    We have a two thumbs up and a one thumb down emoji too, which, IMO, don't get used often enough!

:-bd :-q