No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited March 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Why the hell is a British film being featured on American cinematographer? Linus isn't Murican either.

Linus and a number of the Bond DoPs are members of the American Society of Cinematographers. And as noted in the article, the magazine has covered every Bond since TLD
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    antovolk wrote: »
    Why the hell is a British film being featured on American cinematographer? Linus isn't Murican either.

Linus and a number of the Bond DoPs are members of the American Society of Cinematographers. And as noted in the article, the magazine has covered every Bond since TLD

I knew this, but thank you for putting it so concisely, @antovolk
    Some big key points from the jam packed feature, which also has interviews with a whole host of Bond DoPs past and present:

- Cary hired Linus off the back of First Man
    - BB and MGW shoot down spinoff ideas with the interview directly suggesting Nomi...again. 'our focus has been on making one Bond film and we have not planned...'
    - Both Cary and Linus were adamant to shoot it on film, digital 'wasn't an option'
    - Don't expect irritating aspect ratio changes as they wanted to avoid that by having entire sequences in IMAX. eg, the entire pre titles will be in 1.43:1, then going into 2.40 after the opening credits
    - 5-perf 65mm was also used for the dialogue scenes within the IMAX sequences
    - Linus was directly inspired by Spielberg's ET in choices of lenses to achieve particular effects such as flares
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Don't expect irritating aspect ratio changes as they wanted to avoid that by having entire sequences in IMAX. eg, the entire pre titles will be in 1.43:1, then going into 2.40 after the opening credits

Good but didn't they shoot other sequences in IMAX also after Matera? They will crop them?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Some big key points from the jam packed feature, which also has interviews with a whole host of Bond DoPs past and present:

- BB and MGW shoot down spinoff ideas with the interview directly suggesting Nomi...again. 'our focus has been on making one Bond film and we have not planned...'
    - Both Cary and Linus were adamant to shoot it on film, digital 'wasn't an option'
    - Don't expect irritating aspect ratio changes as they wanted to avoid that by having entire sequences in IMAX. eg, the entire pre titles will be in 1.43:1, then going into 2.40 after the opening credits
    - Linus was directly inspired by Spielberg's ET in choices of lenses to achieve particular effects such as flares

Cool, thank you- all sounds good to me!

This is fascinating. Glad to hear the spin-off nonsense is exactly that.

Really odd choice to have ET as a creative influence in any way but I dig it!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,961
    I know folks are going to complain about Star Trek and JJ Abrams lens flares, but they never upset me. I get the feeling from memory perhaps we even get a bit of a hint of that in the trailer when Bond is looking at the evil vials of death in the lab or in the Cuba night bits...?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

@mtm and @CraigMooreOHMSS Scroll up a bit and download the full article I posted at midnight
    matt_u wrote: »
    Don't expect irritating aspect ratio changes as they wanted to avoid that by having entire sequences in IMAX. eg, the entire pre titles will be in 1.43:1, then going into 2.40 after the opening credits

Good but didn't they shoot other sequences in IMAX also after Matera? They will crop them?

They did, hence the eg.. The article specifically goes into detail in how the Cuba SPECTRE party sequence was filmed - lots of handheld which is very tough to do with these massive and heavy cameras.
    Contraband wrote: »

@mtm and @CraigMooreOHMSS Scroll up a bit and download the full article I posted at midnight

Thank you, @Contraband
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    A4maRpT.jpg
    Love this picture
    I read somewhere that the Cuba scenes were originally supposed to be shot in Jamaica. Is that correct?
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Getafix wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the Cuba scenes were originally supposed to be shot in Jamaica. Is that correct?

They shot in Port Antonio's harbour, dressed as a Cuba port, with a massive mural painting of Castro and the revolution. That fishing boat that explodes on open water can be seen right in front that pier.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Awesome photos yeah: thanks Contraband.

I wonder if with the delay they might actually get some IMAX prints made? I think the IMAX cinemas were showing digital only.
    Seems madness they just built that set for this movie. Would have thought Pinewood might want to keep it for future productions.
    mtm wrote: »
    Awesome photos yeah: thanks Contraband.

I wonder if with the delay they might actually get some IMAX prints made? I think the IMAX cinemas were showing digital only.

I would really really hope so, only thing at this point is Universal and MGM willing to chip in money wise.

But now with the Science Museum IMAX in London reopening with the requisite laser projection for the intended 1.43:1 presentation, thereby dethroning the BFI as the UK flagship, there wouldn't be as much of a necessity (BFI was the sole flagship venue that didn't have laser)...Nolan is a purist and lover of the format to the point of personally, from my understanding, chipping in to make prints happen for his films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Seems madness they just built that set for this movie. Would have thought Pinewood might want to keep it for future productions.

How many films are set in Cuba? :) It's like when they built St Petersburg for GoldenEye, or even the street scenes in TND.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

They had to shoot some at Pinewood due to Craigs injury.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Regarding the pre-title sequence :
    the opening sequence is set in Norway, so Matera follows later
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    JWPepper wrote: »

Where did you hear that? Is it in that Cinematographer mag?
    mtm wrote: »

Where did you hear that? Is it in that Cinematographer mag?

It is but I think they're kinda mistaken there, since the Matera stuff is also IMAX
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Here is new article from the telegraph
    "This is an article from the online edition of The Telegraph. I have taken the liberty of cutting and pasting it whole, to save you from the irritating subscription requests. Enjoy"
    "James Bond is confronted by '2020 women' in new film after harassing them in the workplace, says star
    There were rumours last year that a woman would be the new 007
    By Helena Horton
    Premium
    Lashana Lynch, who plays Nomi, said the film has had a #MeToo update Credit: Nicole Dove
    James Bond is confronted by '2020 women' in the new film after harassing them in the workplace, one of the stars has said.
    The womanising character's behaviour towards his female colleagues is questioned in the #MeToo age, Lashana Lynch, who plays new spy Nomi said.
    Saying she would feel "uncomfortable" playing a "Bond Girl", the star explained that No Time To Die has updated the franchise's view towards women for a more equal age.
    Ms Lynch told the Sunday Times magazine: "I was more concerned as to how Nomi holds her own in a male-dominated space. And it's exciting to see Bond try to be his normal self among women of a 2020 mindset.
    "The reaction to him is what's important. You see how women like Nomi have to deal with men like him in the workplace."
    The actor added that her character could be seen as more senior than Bond in the new film as her methods are "more up-to-date".
    She said: "Bond's been gone a long time and now here comes this new agent who is hungry. Yes, you could say she thinks she is more capable of getting the job done in 2020, since her methods are up to date."
    Last year, there were rumours that Nomi would be the new 007, taking the title from her older colleague.
    When asked if she saw the rumours, she said: "I did, I'm really glad that conversation's happening. Because black women have very rarely in cinema been given the opportunity to be in power, where they're able to be the example."
    Daniel Craig this weekend insisted that the delayed No Time To Die will be his final Bond film, meaning a replacement will have to be found soon.
    Craig had been set to appear in his fifth Bond movie next month, but its release was pushed back to November due to the global spread ofcoronavirus.
    While it had been widely believed a new actor would take over following No Time To Die, recent reports suggested Craig was contemplating staying on.
    However, he used his hosting gig on Saturday Night Live to confirm it would be his final 007 film."

Does anyone know how this will be presented in all the non-imax theaters? Will the pts be less wide, or will it be equally wide, but cropped on top and/or bottom? I can´t remember how it was with BB.

• edited March 2020 Posts: 3,164
    boldfinger wrote: »

Does anyone know how this will be presented in all the non-imax theaters? Will the pts be less wide, or will it be equally wide, but cropped on top and/or bottom? I can´t remember how it was with BB.

Equally wide, cropped top and bottom. Applies to all the IMAX sequences (PTS, Cuba, something in 3rd act too)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Matera will also be part of the PTS... following the opening by the frozen lake. The song comes after that. Obviously makes sense since both are set in the past, both are entirely shot in IMAX and the song directly refers stuff happening in Matera.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Here is new article from the telegraph
    "This is an article from the online edition of The Telegraph. I have taken the liberty of cutting and pasting it whole, to save you from the irritating subscription requests. Enjoy"
    "James Bond is confronted by '2020 women' in new film after harassing them in the workplace, says star
    There were rumours last year that a woman would be the new 007
    By Helena Horton
    Premium
    Lashana Lynch, who plays Nomi, said the film has had a #MeToo update Credit: Nicole Dove
    James Bond is confronted by '2020 women' in the new film after harassing them in the workplace, one of the stars has said.
    The womanising character's behaviour towards his female colleagues is questioned in the #MeToo age, Lashana Lynch, who plays new spy Nomi said.
    Saying she would feel "uncomfortable" playing a "Bond Girl", the star explained that No Time To Die has updated the franchise's view towards women for a more equal age.
    Ms Lynch told the Sunday Times magazine: "I was more concerned as to how Nomi holds her own in a male-dominated space. And it's exciting to see Bond try to be his normal self among women of a 2020 mindset.
    "The reaction to him is what's important. You see how women like Nomi have to deal with men like him in the workplace."
    The actor added that her character could be seen as more senior than Bond in the new film as her methods are "more up-to-date".
    She said: "Bond's been gone a long time and now here comes this new agent who is hungry. Yes, you could say she thinks she is more capable of getting the job done in 2020, since her methods are up to date."
    Last year, there were rumours that Nomi would be the new 007, taking the title from her older colleague.
    When asked if she saw the rumours, she said: "I did, I'm really glad that conversation's happening. Because black women have very rarely in cinema been given the opportunity to be in power, where they're able to be the example."
    Daniel Craig this weekend insisted that the delayed No Time To Die will be his final Bond film, meaning a replacement will have to be found soon.
    Craig had been set to appear in his fifth Bond movie next month, but its release was pushed back to November due to the global spread ofcoronavirus.
    While it had been widely believed a new actor would take over following No Time To Die, recent reports suggested Craig was contemplating staying on.
    However, he used his hosting gig on Saturday Night Live to confirm it would be his final 007 film."

Times have changed but the it's up to Bond to give as good as he gets as society and tech changes.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Glad to know it will have a more consistent aspect ratio when IMAX sequences play out, like how it was done with GHOST PROTOCOL, as opposed to how Nolan did it with his films where it was just a mix of different ratios.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Sony has announced that Bloodshot will be released on digital media on March 24th, 11 days after the film was released in theaters nationwide.

It seems ike the film industry is about to radically change how movies are released.
    Sony has announced that Bloodshot will be released on digital media on March 24th, 11 days after the film was released in theaters nationwide.

It seems ike the film industry is about to radically change how movies are released.

Will they release a film that we actually want to watch?