No Time to Die production thread

17167177197217221208

Comments

  • BennyBenny keeping tabs on youAdministrator, Moderator
    Posts: 14,716
    Burgess wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Burgess wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to entertainment headlines like “James Bond saves the world and the box office.”

    Unless its terrible

    Even lesser Bond films make bank.

    we will see it will be interesting with all the delays

    At this point everything's been delayed so NTTD is in good company.

    If normal service doesn’t resume for some time, it could have a massively positive effect on the box office.
    Imagine being unable to go to movies, then the first film you can see could be NTTD.
    Everyone would flock to it.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Burgess wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to entertainment headlines like “James Bond saves the world and the box office.”

    Unless its terrible

    Even lesser Bond films make bank.

    we will see it will be interesting with all the delays

    Why would the delay affect this?

  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 5,677
    Also the the fact that EON had the balls to move before anyone else is a pretty baller move on their part.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,661
    California is in total lockdown (!) so that means the entire west coast tv/film industry is on hold. People can't go out to see the films even if they were in the cinemas! This has never happened before?! Incredible.

    The studios may have to bite the bullet and release on streaming and hope they can recoup some of the production budget, break even. I've no idea if big budget films can make millions via streaming and make sizeable profit, seems unlikely, but who knows, they may have no other choice but release online and hope for the best.

    Could No Time To Die be the first James Bond film not to get a theatrical worldwide release? It's looking more and more possible. With California joining other countries on full lockdown it appears we're in for the long haul. :-S
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 490
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    California is in total lockdown (!) so that means the entire west coast tv/film industry is on hold. People can't go out to see the films even if they were in the cinemas! This has never happened before?! Incredible.

    The studios may have to bite the bullet and release on streaming and hope they can recoup some of the production budget, break even. I've no idea if big budget films can make millions via streaming and make sizeable profit, seems unlikely, but who knows, they may have no other choice but release online and hope for the best.

    Could No Time To Die be the first James Bond film not to get a theatrical worldwide release? It's looking more and more possible. With California joining other countries on full lockdown it appears we're in for the long haul. :-S

    We're easily looking at 6 months of rolling lockdowns or more. This will be devastating for economies.

    What would be the economics of releasing the film on streaming and charging $20 per view or something like that? Would that be a viable way to recoup the budget and make some profit?
  • Posts: 4,400
    ertert wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    California is in total lockdown (!) so that means the entire west coast tv/film industry is on hold. People can't go out to see the films even if they were in the cinemas! This has never happened before?! Incredible.

    The studios may have to bite the bullet and release on streaming and hope they can recoup some of the production budget, break even. I've no idea if big budget films can make millions via streaming and make sizeable profit, seems unlikely, but who knows, they may have no other choice but release online and hope for the best.

    Could No Time To Die be the first James Bond film not to get a theatrical worldwide release? It's looking more and more possible. With California joining other countries on full lockdown it appears we're in for the long haul. :-S

    We're easily looking at 6 months of rolling lockdowns or more. This will be devastating for economies.

    What would be the economics of releasing the film on streaming and charging $20 per view or something like that? Would that be a viable way to recoup the budget and make some profit?

    VOD is sooooooooo dumb....................Charging £20 for a film?!? Crazy.

    The best thing is to put it on a streamer you have a subscription to - like Netflix or Amazon. Then, charge perhaps £2 to view the 'exclusive theatrical' content. That £2 comes out of the direct debit you have with them.

    All the new VOD releases - The Hunt, Emma and Invisible Man - are likely on torrent sites already. People will find alternative means to watch these films than fork out £20 for movies they barely cared to see at the cinema for less money.

    More people would be obliged to pay to watch for a minor surcharge.....

    Once again, NTTD is coming in November. But if this situation gets worse than perhaps Netflix will become an option and soon will become our only hope.................

    UnevenLastBrant-max-1mb.gif
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126

    That's just it is another thing will people who want to see a movie period have enough money or can afford to spend their money or be willing to spend money on a movie if they are struggling to pay the bills or get food. If this continues we might be in the great depression of the 1930s.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Burgess wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to entertainment headlines like “James Bond saves the world and the box office.”

    Unless its terrible

    Even lesser Bond films make bank.

    we will see it will be interesting with all the delays

    Why would the delay affect this?

    It could I've seen people say that.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 7,961
    ertert wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    California is in total lockdown (!) so that means the entire west coast tv/film industry is on hold. People can't go out to see the films even if they were in the cinemas! This has never happened before?! Incredible.

    The studios may have to bite the bullet and release on streaming and hope they can recoup some of the production budget, break even. I've no idea if big budget films can make millions via streaming and make sizeable profit, seems unlikely, but who knows, they may have no other choice but release online and hope for the best.

    Could No Time To Die be the first James Bond film not to get a theatrical worldwide release? It's looking more and more possible. With California joining other countries on full lockdown it appears we're in for the long haul. :-S

    We're easily looking at 6 months of rolling lockdowns or more. This will be devastating for economies.

    What would be the economics of releasing the film on streaming and charging $20 per view or something like that? Would that be a viable way to recoup the budget and make some profit?

    VOD is sooooooooo dumb....................Charging £20 for a film?!? Crazy.

    The best thing is to put it on a streamer you have a subscription to - like Netflix or Amazon. Then, charge perhaps £2 to view the 'exclusive theatrical' content. That £2 comes out of the direct debit you have with them.

    All the new VOD releases - The Hunt, Emma and Invisible Man - are likely on torrent sites already. People will find alternative means to watch these films than fork out £20 for movies they barely cared to see at the cinema for less money.

    More people would be obliged to pay to watch for a minor surcharge.....

    Once again, NTTD is coming in November. But if this situation gets worse than perhaps Netflix will become an option and soon will become our only hope.................

    UnevenLastBrant-max-1mb.gif

    Your business model is not exactly viable either. If it went on Netflix, it would still be pirated almost instantly - it really makes little difference if you have to pay $2 or $20.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,953
    The only way Netflix would get NTTD is if they cough up an obscene amount of money that would entice MGM/EON.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Posts: 4,547
    It's quite possible that prices for entertainment and travel will drop for a while. If memory serves, that happened after 9/11. A lot of things became dirt cheap, just to entice customers.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Posts: 692
    The worry of piracy is laughable in today's world. Theatrical films end up on torrent sites the next day half the time, often in excellent quality. Piracy is not likely to influence the decision to go VOD or streaming (if it comes to that). Piracy happens regardless.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,343
    https://thewrap.com/wonder-woman-1984-streaming-no-theater-warner-bros/?fbclid=IwAR3xs6F0dlqifTMuMjVtyQib4WamkpafGMFsVjl6-QXAmWVEvtNwAq9OiPw

    Warner Bros Debates Whether ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Should Skip Theaters for Streaming

    That's a 1 billion dollar film we're talking about here. If it happens, and by November the market won't be suitable for a theatrical release, that could lead to NTTD being released online.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 7,961
    That is potentially a massive, massive revenue loss for WB. A hit like that could break a smaller studio that doesn't have any more IPs to back such a loss up with in the future.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 97
    matt_u wrote: »
    If it happens, and by November the market won't be suitable for a theatrical release, that could lead to NTTD being released online.

    100% agree. I simply can't see how they could release NTTD in theaters in November. Even if the virus is stopped by November, this will be a global depression, the biggest in 100 years. Online release in November? Maybe. Theatrical release this year? Forget it.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,497
    matt_u wrote: »
    https://thewrap.com/wonder-woman-1984-streaming-no-theater-warner-bros/?fbclid=IwAR3xs6F0dlqifTMuMjVtyQib4WamkpafGMFsVjl6-QXAmWVEvtNwAq9OiPw

    Warner Bros Debates Whether ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Should Skip Theaters for Streaming

    That's a 1 billion dollar film we're talking about here. If it happens, and by November the market won't be suitable for a theatrical release, that could lead to NTTD being released online.

    Why on earth should November not be suitable yet?

    And I see absolutely nothing that makes me worried in that article; typical "INSIDERS TOLD US" bs. For now.

    The discussions are still preliminary and have remained close to Warner Pictures Group Chairman Toby Emmerich and his top advisers, according to one individual with knowledge of the conversation. Even director Patty Jenkins and producer Charles Roven have not been brought into the talks.

    According to the Warner insiders, the preference is still to release the movie theatrically — but executives are considering a streaming alternative, probably as a direct-to-consumer offering rather than as part of Warner’s soon-to-launch subscription service HBO Max. The concern, the insiders said, is that there is no known date for movie theaters to reopen and there may be a shortage of favorable dates once theaters


    Release date of WWII: June.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,678
    The_Return wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    If it happens, and by November the market won't be suitable for a theatrical release, that could lead to NTTD being released online.

    100% agree. I simply can't see how they could release NTTD in theaters in November. Even if the virus is stopped by November, this will be a global depression, the biggest in 100 years. Online release in November? Maybe. Theatrical release this year? Forget it.

    The main data we can look at concerning how long this coronavirus situation will last is Italy. They are now the main area of the outbreak, averaging over 500 deaths a day from the virus. Given they have done a very limited country-wide quarantine, their death-toll will increase exponentially for the next 2 weeks, based on the most optimistic scenario. Spain, Germany, France, the UK and USA are only a few weeks behind having a similar death-toll as Italy. It took China almost 3 months of total quarantine to drastically contain the virus. I am starting to seriously doubt cinemas across Europe and North America will be able to open before 2021.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 7,961
    If a $30-40 charge per stream is the only way they could foresee a returning similar to what they were expecting from a theatrical release, I'm not sure they'd go for it. That's a hefty sum.
  • Posts: 4,400
    matt_u wrote: »
    https://thewrap.com/wonder-woman-1984-streaming-no-theater-warner-bros/?fbclid=IwAR3xs6F0dlqifTMuMjVtyQib4WamkpafGMFsVjl6-QXAmWVEvtNwAq9OiPw

    Warner Bros Debates Whether ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Should Skip Theaters for Streaming

    That's a 1 billion dollar film we're talking about here. If it happens, and by November the market won't be suitable for a theatrical release, that could lead to NTTD being released online.

    Eon are riding the wave till at least October/November.

    If the situation is the same, then they have two options: (1) VOD or (2) delay again.

    By November, they would probably prefer to delay till Spring/Summer 2021.

    Basically, we are some way off from these decisions. Just remember, let's just wait and see for November.

    Maybe Apple will buy MGM in that time and we get it online.

    Have hope!

    giphy.gif
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,497
    matt_u wrote: »
    https://thewrap.com/wonder-woman-1984-streaming-no-theater-warner-bros/?fbclid=IwAR3xs6F0dlqifTMuMjVtyQib4WamkpafGMFsVjl6-QXAmWVEvtNwAq9OiPw

    Warner Bros Debates Whether ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Should Skip Theaters for Streaming

    That's a 1 billion dollar film we're talking about here. If it happens, and by November the market won't be suitable for a theatrical release, that could lead to NTTD being released online.

    Eon are riding the wave till at least October/November.

    If the situation is the same, then they have two options: (1) VOD or (2) delay again.

    By November, they would probably prefer to delay till Spring/Summer 2021.

    Basically, we are some way off from these decisions. Just remember, let's just wait and see for November.

    Maybe Apple will buy MGM in that time and we get it online.

    Have hope!

    giphy.gif

    The situation won't be the same.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 7,961
    I understand people wanting to see the film, but why would we hope for it to appear in a way that would seriously put it in doubt of being a financial success? Utterly baffling.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,497
    That's the least of our concerns now, but there can also be too much panicking. If you know what I mean.

    EDXKPYq.gif
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Posts: 4,247
    All in all, NTTD needs to be a success, whatever medium they choose to release it(Hopefully, in Cinemas)....it needs to be a commercial & critical success in order to give birth to Bond 26. It might sound odd, but even if am yet to see NTTD, am eager to see what Happens with Bond 26....am sure this might be the first time fans are really eager to see where the franchise goes after a Bond actor steps down.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,857
    If a $30-40 charge per stream is the only way they could foresee a returning similar to what they were expecting from a theatrical release, I'm not sure they'd go for it. That's a hefty sum.

    People routinely pay $30-40 VOD for a boxing match. A new Bond release has remained an event--that's the upside to getting a new film every five years--so I can see them releasing it for $40 or $50...

    ...especially since a vaccine is 18 months out. Who is going to sit comfortably in a theater in November with no vaccine available?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Posts: 3,497
    echo wrote: »
    If a $30-40 charge per stream is the only way they could foresee a returning similar to what they were expecting from a theatrical release, I'm not sure they'd go for it. That's a hefty sum.

    People routinely pay $30-40 VOD for a boxing match. A new Bond release has remained an event--that's the upside to getting a new film every five years--so I can see them releasing it for $40 or $50...

    ...especially since a vaccine is 18 months out. Who is going to sit comfortably in a theater in November with no vaccine available?

    Who says it won't be available?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 7,961
    echo wrote: »
    If a $30-40 charge per stream is the only way they could foresee a returning similar to what they were expecting from a theatrical release, I'm not sure they'd go for it. That's a hefty sum.

    People routinely pay $30-40 VOD for a boxing match. A new Bond release has remained an event--that's the upside to getting a new film every five years--so I can see them releasing it for $40 or $50...

    ...especially since a vaccine is 18 months out. Who is going to sit comfortably in a theater in November with no vaccine available?

    Can you provide any idea of what the revenue for such a sports event ultimately totalled at? Is it $500million or above?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Posts: 5,857
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    If a $30-40 charge per stream is the only way they could foresee a returning similar to what they were expecting from a theatrical release, I'm not sure they'd go for it. That's a hefty sum.

    People routinely pay $30-40 VOD for a boxing match. A new Bond release has remained an event--that's the upside to getting a new film every five years--so I can see them releasing it for $40 or $50...

    ...especially since a vaccine is 18 months out. Who is going to sit comfortably in a theater in November with no vaccine available?

    Who says it won't be available?

    One example:

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-vaccine-update-when-covid-19-cure-how-long-uk/

    Get ready for 12-18 months of waiting.
  • Posts: 490
    echo wrote: »
    If a $30-40 charge per stream is the only way they could foresee a returning similar to what they were expecting from a theatrical release, I'm not sure they'd go for it. That's a hefty sum.

    People routinely pay $30-40 VOD for a boxing match. A new Bond release has remained an event--that's the upside to getting a new film every five years--so I can see them releasing it for $40 or $50...

    ...especially since a vaccine is 18 months out. Who is going to sit comfortably in a theater in November with no vaccine available?

    Exactly. Anyone thinking things will have improved by November is ignoring all available evidence. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong though. It could easily be another 1+ years before we see the film if they insist on releasing in theaters.

    And then on top of that they probably won't even begin to think about B26 until 1-2 years after NTTD is released.

    Really hope the fates prove me wrong though cause like all of you I'm beyond excited for the film.
Sign In or Register to comment.