No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited March 2020 Posts: 440
    I’m sure there was a screen testing. There have been for past Bond films. TWINE’s pre-title sequence was completely restructured because test audiences didn’t think the opener was all that impressive.

The flaw in the rumor though is that it claims the test audiences gave it poor scores. If that was actually the case then MGM would have never put the tickets on sale. That’s not how it works.

+1

These films have such short post-production schedules (roughly 4 months, literally the shortest out of any blockbuster franchise by several months) that there wouldn't have been enough time to do reshoots anyway.

I would be willing to bet that EON's test screenings are likely not the usual kind, where members of the public are dragged off the street to watch an edit of the movie and then give comments on a card.

Given the short post-production period and their secrecy, they are probably more like the Disney Star Wars screenings; only sections of the movie are shown, and just to members of the company and their relatives.

In this case, they usually do this to test what people think of the editing and placement of certain scenes or the crowd's thoughts on which scenes/shots had the most impact on them, for use in the marketing.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 440
    Double Posted By Mistake.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    delfloria wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    delfloria wrote: »
    Ana, the best Bond girl in quite a while. Love that dress.

The best? I don't know yet. Very beautiful? absolutely.

True, we don't know yet. All I can say is that from what I've seen so far, her performance in "Knives Out, there is a really good possibility that she is going to be very memorable. Also on a personal level I find her more attractive and accessible than Lea.

Accessible? stop stalking the woman on whatsapp... :-?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Olga Kurylenko confirms she has coronavirus and is in self-isolation

I hate to be so rude, but what does that have to do with NTTD production?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861
    That's alright though, I don't mind it. This thread is kind of taking on a 'general new Bond news' vibe, as production has long since finished anyway. None of the conversation on here for the last fifty pages or so has been about production! :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Discussion of Olga can be taken up in the Coronavirus thread
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 1,261
    Funny, the internet homepage of our local cinema announces a screening of OV (with subtitles) of NTTD for Aproil 4th. They probably have not updated their site since the delay was announced. Maybe they should do that... It's been 12 days sice.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,395
    Just want to throw this out there, some scoffed at the idea of a planned theatrical release being made available on digital instead.
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/universal-trolls-world-tour-the-hunt-invisible-man-coronavirus-1203535541/

This is big. Immediate digital releases for some Universal films. "Trolls World Tour" "The Hunt" and The Invisible Man".
    Just want to throw this out there, some scoffed at the idea of a planned theatrical release being made available on digital instead.
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/universal-trolls-world-tour-the-hunt-invisible-man-coronavirus-1203535541/

This is big. Immediate digital releases for some Universal films. "Trolls World Tour" "The Hunt" and The Invisible Man".

LET ME STREAM IT PLEASE.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

I suppose the difference is that those are, in comparison to NTTD, very small budgeted films.

Trolls is $125m so assume Trolls 2 isnt too far off.
    Invisible Man is $7m and has already done $125m WW so is well in profit.
    The Hunt is $14m so again really low risk.

NTTD is nearer $250m. Aint gonna get that back on streaming,

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I agree it's not going to happen for Bond, but it is rather fascinating to see they're doing that. Will we ever go back?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Mallory wrote: »

I suppose the difference is that those are, in comparison to NTTD, very small budgeted films.

Trolls is $125m so assume Trolls 2 isnt too far off.
    Invisible Man is $7m and has already done $125m WW so is well in profit.
    The Hunt is $14m so again really low risk.

NTTD is nearer $250m. Aint gonna get that back on streaming,

Quite. They're non-franchises that can afford to be released this way, this quickly.

I do wonder how much they would make back if, hypothetically, something of NTTD's size were to be released that way? I can't imagine they'd get anything close to their production budget back (Netflix did pay $100million for Friends, though!).

It'd be considered a write off. And, taking into account that EON didn't even stick the meagre-budgeted The Rhythm Section on streaming when it seemed doomed to fail, I doubt it would ever be considered for their tentpole, despite wishful thinking saying otherwise.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Just to say I want to see NTTD in the theater in November. That's it.
    I sure don't want to rent it, stream it, or see it any other way. If we are still avoiding theaters by then, I'll have to reconsider. But seeing a new Bond film in any way other than a theater is something I'd never want.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Just to say I want to see NTTD in the theater in November. That's it.
    I sure don't want to rent it, stream it, or see it any other way. If we are still avoiding theaters by then, I'll have to reconsider. But seeing a new Bond film in any way other than a theater is something I'd never want.

I wholeheartedly agree.
  • Streaming would be a perfect fit for NTTD. Let's make this happen!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Streaming? Watching a new Bond film on my home computer or device? Ugh.
    No thanks. If I have a choice of seeing it now streamed OR waiting for theater release in Nov./Dec., I will gladly wait for the theater release. I want to experience this film properly, get the full amount of enjoyment from it. That will not happen for me unless in a good theater.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    To be fair I do watch the majority of Bond films on my TV and they are still pretty enjoyable! It wouldn't be the end of the world.

Perhaps a poor choice of words.. :D
    NTTD has been moved to November. The situation will be reviewed then.

Plus, big franchise films will likely remain as theatrical releases. If the situation is the same or worse in November, then perhaps things will change. We will have to wait till November for any more news....Just my take.

Also, Justin Kroll from Variety echoes these thoughts:

• JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    Did we hear the Zimmers score album release won’t go ahead 26th March?

Presuming we won’t but have we have official word?

I’d love it now, it’ll at least gives us something nice to enjoy currently but I think it’s highly unlikely.

🍸
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    New productions stills from Matera by photographer Max Earey - https://www.instagram.com/maxearey

91gqGgq.jpg
    31FJNzm.jpg
    vl3CSBy.jpg
    H0b24kY.jpg
    jeFyXj6.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Have we seen a blank numberplate before? I thought I had a vague memory one, but that would seem to confirm some sort of gadget-plate changer.

Funny how I can spot the fake ones quite easily now: the real ones have much more delicate headlamp surrounds!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    New wallpaper, thanks @Contraband!

Found the bottom photo in 4k by googling Aston Martin DB5 Matera and sorting by only large results, for those interested.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    JG007 wrote: »
    Did we hear the Zimmers score album release won’t go ahead 26th March?

Presuming we won’t but have we have official word?

I’d love it now, it’ll at least gives us something nice to enjoy currently but I think it’s highly unlikely.

🍸

I doubt it the track names might give away the plot I know I felt like Spectre's did.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think the least we can expect is the ' Bond 25' album. That promises new arrangements of all 25 themes by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

This is big but there is context:

1. Theaters are closed
    2. These films have a limited box office ceiling and moderate budgets
    3. The schedule will be packed with bigger, more important films when theaters reopen

Man the producers 100% made the right call. 2 weeks since they delayed it they are looking real smart to do so.
  • Streaming? Watching a new Bond film on my home computer or device? Ugh.
    No thanks. If I have a choice of seeing it now streamed OR waiting for theater release in Nov./Dec., I will gladly wait for the theater release. I want to experience this film properly, get the full amount of enjoyment from it. That will not happen for me unless in a good theater.

I have a fairly decent home cinema setup and I still want to see this in my local multiplex!
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,395
    All I know is that I would really like the option. Want to check out the latest blockbuster release in the theatre? Great! Want to "rent" the same film for $19.99 to watch at home? I would be down for this choice. Currently there is about a 2-3 month window after a theatrical run where the film is then released on digital and physical formats. This simultaneous release for the select Universal films is an experiment, given to the circumstances theatres and studios are facing. But I wonder if in future, this type of release could still happen.

Edit: I wanted to add here, that I am a bit biased. With a 10 month old at home, my wife and I don't get to go to the cinema as often (read: never :)) ) Usually when our daughter is asleep, we rent whatever is available , usually something few months old or last years films.