No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited March 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Universal Pictures is fast tracking its new theatrical releases onto streaming platforms.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/16/21182142/universal-films-theater-early-release-rentals-price-on-demand-movies
    The upcoming Trolls World Tour, which was set to release in theaters on April 10th, will now also be available to rent on demand the same day it hits theaters.

The announcement comes after a historically poor weekend at the box office across the board, one that saw overall figures bring in just $55.3 million — the worst numbers for this week of the year since 1995. Of Universal’s current theatrical films, The Invisible Man and Emma. saw 60 percent and 72 percent drops, respectively, compared to last weekend, numbers that will likely get worse this coming weekend as an increasing number of states (including New York and Maryland) set to shutter all theaters entirely to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Major chains like AMC and Regal are also planning to cap attendance by 50 percent in locations where they are open.

That studios would cut short a theatrical run of a movie in favor of digital rentals — even at $20, which is about five times as much as the nearly standard $3.99 price on Amazon, iTunes, and other digital retailers — is nearly unprecedented in Hollywood.

The reason is simple: movies make far more money in theaters than they do through sales and rentals. It’s one of the main reasons movie theaters as an institution exist at all, as opposed to simply just releasing every film directly to customers. For an idea of how big a paycheck Universal is potentially missing out on, the original Trolls made over $346 million at the box office in 2016. Early projections estimated the sequel to fail to bring in quite those numbers, but Universal is still likely to lose money compared to a normal theatrical run.

This could be a game changer for the film industry. We may see a shift away from big cinema releases to streaming all new big releases. If the studios can still make profit it might be worth them doing that. I think cinema chains take around 50 percent of the box office gross. If you go full streaming the chain get nothing? I guess so. Of course the huge downside is chains might go bankrupt. That would be the end of cinema as we know it. :-O

It would be a huge risk for MGM and Eon to go with pay per view streaming of NTTD but who knows what will happen with coronavirus? The other studios may chance their luck and release their big budget films straight to streaming rather than delay and delay.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Universal Pictures is fast tracking its new theatrical releases onto streaming platforms.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/16/21182142/universal-films-theater-early-release-rentals-price-on-demand-movies
    The upcoming Trolls World Tour, which was set to release in theaters on April 10th, will now also be available to rent on demand the same day it hits theaters.

The announcement comes after a historically poor weekend at the box office across the board, one that saw overall figures bring in just $55.3 million — the worst numbers for this week of the year since 1995. Of Universal’s current theatrical films, The Invisible Man and Emma. saw 60 percent and 72 percent drops, respectively, compared to last weekend, numbers that will likely get worse this coming weekend as an increasing number of states (including New York and Maryland) set to shutter all theaters entirely to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Major chains like AMC and Regal are also planning to cap attendance by 50 percent in locations where they are open.

That studios would cut short a theatrical run of a movie in favor of digital rentals — even at $20, which is about five times as much as the nearly standard $3.99 price on Amazon, iTunes, and other digital retailers — is nearly unprecedented in Hollywood.

The reason is simple: movies make far more money in theaters than they do through sales and rentals. It’s one of the main reasons movie theaters as an institution exist at all, as opposed to simply just releasing every film directly to customers. For an idea of how big a paycheck Universal is potentially missing out on, the original Trolls made over $346 million at the box office in 2016. Early projections estimated the sequel to fail to bring in quite those numbers, but Universal is still likely to lose money compared to a normal theatrical run.

This could be a game changer for the film industry. We may see a shift away from big cinema releases to streaming all new big releases. If the studios can still make profit it might be worth them doing that. I think cinema chains take around 50 percent of the box office gross. If you go full streaming the chain get nothing? I guess so. Of course the huge downside is chains might go bankrupt. That would be the end of cinema as we know it. :-O

It would be a huge risk for MGM and Eon to go with pay per view streaming of NTTD but who knows what will happen with coronavirus? The other studios may chance their luck and release their big budget films straight to streaming rather than delay and delay.

I would much rather watch the film on IMAX especially for the first viewing, but if we're looking at delaying again into 2021 I would really hope they'd just release on streaming.

I can see Barbara wanting to keep delaying and delaying so that it gets released in theaters first but as a fan, waiting beyond November would be unbearable. Especially if that means they still wouldn't start on B26.

Things have gotten exponentially worse recently and pandemics happen in waves. This virus will surely still be around in November so I wonder if they're considering what their options are. Surely they can't just keep it on ice for another 1-2 years.
    Like I said, it's very dependent on Wonder Woman 1984 at the moment.

People are talking of this stretching till June and others saying we are in for the long haul. Essentially, if Warner push WW84 then we will likely have to wait for a very long while for cinemas to go back to normal. I'm sure @antovolk who knows a lot about the distribution models used who will explain.

I'm praying that WW84 and Top Gun 2 stay in the game.....please save us Wonder Woman.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,548
    TripAces wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Here is new article from the telegraph
    "This is an article from the online edition of The Telegraph. I have taken the liberty of cutting and pasting it whole, to save you from the irritating subscription requests. Enjoy"
    "James Bond is confronted by '2020 women' in new film after harassing them in the workplace, says star
    There were rumours last year that a woman would be the new 007
    By Helena Horton
    Premium
    Lashana Lynch, who plays Nomi, said the film has had a #MeToo update Credit: Nicole Dove
    James Bond is confronted by '2020 women' in the new film after harassing them in the workplace, one of the stars has said.
    The womanising character's behaviour towards his female colleagues is questioned in the #MeToo age, Lashana Lynch, who plays new spy Nomi said.
    Saying she would feel "uncomfortable" playing a "Bond Girl", the star explained that No Time To Die has updated the franchise's view towards women for a more equal age.
    Ms Lynch told the Sunday Times magazine: "I was more concerned as to how Nomi holds her own in a male-dominated space. And it's exciting to see Bond try to be his normal self among women of a 2020 mindset.
    "The reaction to him is what's important. You see how women like Nomi have to deal with men like him in the workplace."
    The actor added that her character could be seen as more senior than Bond in the new film as her methods are "more up-to-date".
    She said: "Bond's been gone a long time and now here comes this new agent who is hungry. Yes, you could say she thinks she is more capable of getting the job done in 2020, since her methods are up to date."

Last year, there were rumours that Nomi would be the new 007, taking the title from her older colleague.
    When asked if she saw the rumours, she said: "I did, I'm really glad that conversation's happening. Because black women have very rarely in cinema been given the opportunity to be in power, where they're able to be the example."
    Daniel Craig this weekend insisted that the delayed No Time To Die will be his final Bond film, meaning a replacement will have to be found soon.
    Craig had been set to appear in his fifth Bond movie next month, but its release was pushed back to November due to the global spread ofcoronavirus.
    While it had been widely believed a new actor would take over following No Time To Die, recent reports suggested Craig was contemplating staying on.
    However, he used his hosting gig on Saturday Night Live to confirm it would be his final 007 film."

I respect Lynch and respect the MeToo movement, but...wtf is she talking about? Has she even watched CR or QoS or SF or SP?

Here is a rundown of his only "questionable" moments toward colleagues:

CR:
    1. Bond breaks into M.s house. Bad but not an example of misogyny.
    2. Bond tells Vesper she's a "bloody idiot." Oooooo. Bad? Maybe. But Vesper is the one who demonstrates lack of respect toward Bond throughout much of the film. (The shower scene is not indicatiove of a man who hates women.)

QoS:
    1. Bond defies M (what else is new?)
    2. Bond seduces Fields. OK. Maybe? But Fields was sent (in a trenchcoat, and theroretically nothing on underneath) to seduce him. MI6 used her, not Bond.

SF:
    1. Again Bond breaks into M's house.
    2. Bond flirts with Moneypenny. But actually: it is the other way around.

SP
    1. Bond asks Moneypenny to be his mole. Not bad. Actually, this is a sign that he trusts her.

That's it. Am I missing anything????

What on earth makes you think this is true? This is definitely you writing something of your own into the film; the film itself does nothing to support this.

I agree with you though, this era has been better than previous with regards to its treatment of women.

I am pretty certain that her plan is to sleep with Bond to convince him to go back to London. Consider the following clues:

1. Fields shows up to put Bond back on the first plane to London. But it doesn't leave until the next morning.
    2. She is wearing a trenchcoat in South America. Think about that one. LOL. There is no indication from anyone else's attire at the airport that the weather has been unpleasant. Add to this: Bolivia is in the middle of a dought. The taxi cab driver even complains that it either rains too much or not enough...this is a "not enough" period. Make no mistake: the trechcoat is "theoretically" being worn for reasons that have nothing to do with rain.
    3. When she says "My orders are to turn you around..." She looks right as Bond's crotch.
    4. Where is Fields taking Bond? To a HOTEL! Why? If she is from the consulate, one would think she'd take Bond to the embassy to hold him until morning. Nope. Instead, she takes him to a hotel where she has a reservation. Hmmm.
    5. When Bond gets the hotel room at The Andrean, it is clear that he and Fields are staying together: she enters first, as though this is "expected."

What Fields did not anticipate is Bond turning the tables on her.

Lol fair enough, and this is very creative, but it feels like confirmation bias to me.

Rather than clues in the film leading you to a conclusion, you had your conclusion already and are manipulating things that happen in the film to fit your conclusion.

Things like "she glances at Bond's crotch" means she's there to seduce him. I highly doubt in the writers room they were like "ok, we'll now have her look at Bond's crotch, and that'll communicate to the audience that MI6 sent Fields to seduce Bond".

I could be wrong but this is my feeling on it.

LOL. Actually, it started by trying to figure out why she was wearing a trenchcoat...and boots. The outfit is unusual, considering that the country is in the middle of a drought. So why this outfit, given the infinite number of possibilities that Forster could have had? Why a trenchcoat and not a suit? Not a dress? Not a blouse with casual pants? Make no mistake: he chose a tranchcoat to suggest sex. It's a common trope.

The only question (which will remain completely unanswered) was whether or not Fields came up with this idea on her own or if it was suggested to her from someone high up.

When Bond asks if the plans include his friend Mathis, she also glances down at his crotch too...and says, "I'm sorry, I don't know who you are." It's a total burn.

As for the writers. there really weren't any. This scene, like so many others in QoS, was likely written on the set by Forster. Remember, there was a writers strike at the time.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,541
    What if they release the film in theatre's and after a month release it on streaming platform before releasing it on Blu-ray, surely that could work both ways. It will be much safer bet to keep a tight grip for cinema experience and at the same time not losing the sight & value of streaming platform to allow bond to enter into it.

Obviously, i would much rather prefer former than latter but just for the argument sake, it would be better imo
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,343
    WW84 and Tenet will be both delayed. 100%.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    WW84 and Tenet will be both delayed. 100%.

Exactly. Can't release a movie if there aren't any theatres open.
    New photo :

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Just read the article. Nokia goes live in 2 minutes. Let's see if they launch something NTTD-related

God, this sucks.

Scandalous too have waited to the last minute to anounce it...
    Given the rumoured plot of NTTD there is absolutely no way that they will release it prior to November.
    It would be incredibly insensitive to do so.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 847
    Nobody here had read the plot (
    + reports have talked of an algae who destroy ocean life, no really the same thing
    ), and even if there are echo to a virus I don't see why it would be improper to echo the actuality (on contrary it would make the plot more relevant), (especially when you see that there is huge VOD demand on contagions movies since the epedimy). Don't see why a movie couldn't talk of a fictive virus while news on a real one (the corona COVID) are h24 on TV channels...
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I see a report that we might have to wait 18 months in the u.s. with multiple waves. So it will be a long time for anything including Bond.
    Nobody here had read the plot (+ reports have talked of an algae who destroy ocean life, no really the same thing), and even if there are echo to a virus I don't see why it would be improper to echo the actuality, (especially when you see that there is huge VOD demand on contagions movies since the epedimy). Don't see why a movie couldn't talk of a fictive virus while news on a real one (the corona COVID) are h24 on TV channels...

It's been discussed that the plot is either about:
    1. A deadly virus that targets particular people based on their genomes.
    2. The villain plans to destroy the oceans

Both very timely....Covid-19 does feel like a plot devised by Spectre. If life currently was a Bond plot, I'd say it was far-fetched.

_111151471_gettyimages-1203830489.jpg
    Found while looking something else - Empire Magazine Australia with an article on Blofeld's return in NTTD:
    https://vk.com/doc479697494_541275289?hash=0fb95c9b8ef67c7b84&dl=7630ce4c8c38e26c19
    They’ll have to wait for the pandemic to be behind us before they can possibly think about releasing it.
    TR007 wrote: »
    They’ll have to wait for the pandemic to be behind us before they can possibly think about releasing it.

Meanwhile probably zero work being done on B26
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,548
    Nothing we can do, folks. NTTD is not the only boat, floating out there.

I am remaining optimistic that we will get past the worst of this by mid-summer. I am also seeing reports that scientists are working feverishly (no pun intended) on a vaccine. It may be ready sooner than expected (but, then again, maybe not).

All we can do is stay calm, hunker down, and wait this f***er out. Even DC is holed up in his house in Brooklyn or upstate NY.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 4,400

LASHANA LYNCH IS 007

Meanwhile, live footage of Lupita Nyong'o:

giphy.gif
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well it's kind of fun but almost nothing at all! :) Thanks for sharing though.
    mtm wrote: »

Full 90 second ad likely due closer to November now...
    antovolk wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

Full 90 second ad likely due closer to November now...

Great looking spot.

Perhaps this is Amma Asante's audition to direct a Bond film. She'd be great and she's beautiful.

xx.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Minions 2: Rise of Gru becomes the first major summer tentpole movie to be delayed indefinitely due to the coronavirus situation.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess now they're not actually filming the next batch of movies they have to have something to fill the gaps!
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Minions 2: Rise of Gru becomes the first major summer tentpole movie to be delayed indefinitely due to the coronavirus situation.

Though it must be said that they delayed it because they couldn’t finish production safely, not because they were worried it would flop due to people not showing up.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

Though it must be said that they delayed it because they couldn’t finish production safely, not because they were worried it would flop due to people not showing up.

when was the film released?
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    007Blofeld wrote: »

when was the film released?

It was supposed to be released on July 3rd. But they were still in post-production.