Skyfall - Teaser Trailer - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've seen the trailer ten times now, and I honestly feel that any single one of the shots in the trailer would look great as a poster or production still, framed on my wall. Just wonderful, wonderful work has been put into this film, and it's crazy how easily it was reflected in an 84 second trailer.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    I've seen the trailer ten times now, and I honestly feel that any single one of the shots in the trailer would look great as a poster or production still, framed on my wall. Just wonderful, wonderful work has been put into this film, and it's crazy how easily it was reflected in an 84 second trailer.

Only 10?

Gosh....I can't even count how many times I've seen it.
    First attempt at are-edit. The music is a little iffy.
  • No offense BondFan, but it really makes me appreciate the music in the trailer.

Early reports said it had no Bond theme, but my god did it, and not just the usual rehash. A truly unique take with a great new feel.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 40,467
    @BritishChap007, only ten. I didn't want to wear it out too soon.

EDIT: Eleven now, haha.

If you want some entertainment, read the comments on the official teaser video of Skyfall on YouTube. Some of these posters have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    No offense BondFan, but it really makes me appreciate the music in the trailer.

Early reports said it had no Bond theme, but my god did it, and not just the usual rehash. A truly unique take with a great new feel.
    Exactly. Right near the end you hear the theme build up. Maybe if EON would've showed it to real Bond fans a month back the teaser wouldn't have been so badly portrayed in that regard.

Creasy47 wrote:
    @BritishChap007, only ten. I didn't want to wear it out too soon.

EDIT: Eleven now, haha.

If you want some entertainment, read the comments on the official teaser video of Skyfall on YouTube. Some of these posters have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

What did the posters on YouTube say @Creasy47? On the page for the teaser I keep watching there are pages of fights between YouTuber posters who argued about England and it being the longest standing empire, and then how England had nukes and the SIS and that the US wouldn't be a country in 100 years. Then some more arguing over how that opinion of England is wrong, calling people Limeys, and a bunch of preschool fun. Gotta love the world we live in, huh?
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 421
    Wow. I much prefer the ones where the Brits and the Americans agree that we both are, or have been, some pretty epic superpowers and amazing countries over the years!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    When were those days? The US and "amazing country" don't mesh.
    [
    What did the posters on YouTube say @Creasy47? On the page for the teaser I keep watching there are pages of fights between YouTuber posters who argued about England and it being the longest standing empire, and then how England had nukes and the SIS and that the US wouldn't be a country in 100 years. Then some more arguing over how that opinion of England is wrong, calling people Limeys, and a bunch of preschool fun. Gotta love the world we live in, huh?

Youtube really is a bastion of international twitfuckery isnt it?

^
    When were those days? The US and "amazing country" don't mesh.

Where's the smiley face icon that gives the finger?
    Sadly, looks like another Quantum Of Solace. Still no sign of a real BOND movie. Confirms the producers statement that they are "continuing down the same road". Watch the Quantum Of Solace trailer again and you too will be sad.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    What do exactly expect a "real" Bond movie to look like? Have "Bond, James Bond" in the trailer?

These days people would call that cheesey.

The trailer has intrigue, action and more than a touch of style. Looking pretty good so far.
  • UNIVEX007 wrote:
    Sadly, looks like another Quantum Of Solace. Still no sign of a real BOND movie. Confirms the producers statement that they are "continuing down the same road". Watch the Quantum Of Solace trailer again and you too will be sad.

I think you watching the wrong trailer........there is no QOS feel sorry
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    What do exactly expect a "real" Bond movie to look like? Have "Bond, James Bond" in the trailer?

The trailer has intrigue, action and more than a touch of style. Looking pretty good so far

sadly these ppl are struck in same old era full of silly gadget and science fiction plots...I dont know why we need to have that line it is a damn teaser!!!!!
    I must admit people at large DON'T LIKE CHANGE.

I'm included in that BUT I have good hopes for SF. Craig has grown on me immensley in the last few years and the more I watch CR the more I love it.

SF, unlike QoS, wasn't rushed out and had a director who (apparently) has an existing fondness of Bond.

Be positive.
    Does he say 'kill M first' or 'kill them first' ?
    Watch the Quantum Of Solace and Skyfall trailers next to each other. I can compare them almost shot for shot. Looking at the other posts (about Bourne, ect.), I'm not imagining things. I am going to try and have hope, but the producers did say they intend to continue the same style.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 278
    BAIN123 wrote:

The trailer has intrigue, action and more than a touch of style. Looking pretty good so far.

I feel many people on here are beginning to (yet again!), fall into this whole "it's just not Bond" issue, and the comparison to other lesser franchises is being made!
    Bond is Bond, it could be GF or QOS, it's still a Bond film which will make you go all Bondy at the right moments, and this forthcoming instalment will be DC best effort to date I'm sure of it! The trailer is very good, it hits many points a true fan of Bond wants to see in this day and age, and with DC giving his most James Bond like performance to date. Look at the cast and crew involved in this film, it's incredible!! Mendes - DC & BB will be going out big time to tick as many boxes as possible to ensure (on this the 50th year and all) that SkyFall hits as many marks as any Bond fan or not, wants to see in a great movie, let alone a new Bond film!!
    I feel we will get the true Bond moments with all been wanting in the DC era in this film, a Gun-barrel, Good PTS, Good Song, Slick and Sexy Cinematograph, Great score!? etc, and a cast and crew who are totally switched on to what Bond is and has always been, pure escapism wrapped up in the best paper available.... For us all to unwrap and injoy to our hearts content!!!

As you say "BAIN123"......Positivity... is whats needed, and I for sure am very positive about this film,
    Roll on October!!!! :-B

UNIVEX007 wrote:
    Watch the Quantum Of Solace and Skyfall trailers next to each other. I can compare them almost shot for shot. Looking at the other posts (about Bourne, ect.), I'm not imagining things. I am going to try and have hope, but the producers did say they intend to continue the same style.

Have scope friend and faith, it's going to be all good!!!
  • It is a teaser trailer. It is meant to whet the appetite, and to stoke up anticipation and excitement. It is not possible from a teaser, to discern whether the film will actually be any good or not. Any conclusions, as to whether Oscar nominations will come, or that the film is 'not a Bond film', surely cannot be fairly reached at this stage.

I'm excited by what I've seen, but I'm not ready to get on my knees and hail the movie as the next From Russia With Love, or, on the other extreme, pick up a flaming torch and pitchfork, and march on EON Productions, for their destruction of the classic James Bond character,

I'm intrigued. I'm excited. I'm teased, if you will.....

Mission accomplished.

As Sam Mendes is such a fan of Live And Let Die, I can only assume that the character seen trudging towards camera, with flaming building behind him, is Baron Samedi in a wig. Javier Bardem is obviously a subtle ruse. (*hopes we are still allowed to comment on this site, in a tongue-in-cheek, Moore and Brosnan-esque fashion, in this brave new world of Bond.*)

• imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    did anyone notice?
    the building glass that Servene(Sp?) is in is broken? my bet that Patrice eliminate her to get rid of loose ends that ties her back to Silva and she may have too much info that could be threat to Silva operation

Yup I noticed it the first time out... Hence the reason her hair was moving..
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 2,782
    oh twadi imranbecks - I thought it was homage to Rear Window and the bit of some bloke falling from a building reminded me of Die Hard. So no references to old Bond movies apart from the DB5 but plenty of other movies.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 278
    It is a teaser trailer. It is meant to whet the appetite, and to stoke up anticipation and excitement. It is not possible from a teaser, to discern whether the film will actually be any good or not. Any conclusions, as to whether Oscar nominations will come, or that the film is 'not a Bond film', surely cannot be fairly reached at this stage.

I'm excited by what I've seen, but I'm not ready to get on my knees and hail the movie as the next From Russia With Love, or, on the other extreme, pick up a flaming torch and pitchfork, and march on EON Productions, for their destruction of the classic James Bond character,

I'm intrigued. I'm excited. I'm teased, if you will.....

Mission accomplished.

As Sam Mendes is such a fan of Live And Let Die, I can only assume that the character seen trudging towards camera, with flaming building behind him, is Baron Samedi in a wig. Javier Bardem is obviously a subtle ruse. (*hopes we are still allowed to comment on this site, in a tongue-in-cheek, Moore and Brosnan-esque fashion, in this brave new world of Bond.*)

Spot on sir, and I'm glad your "Intrigued - Excited and most of all Teased", that would cost you a lot of money in the West End of London!? ;)
    Visually it looks good, the trailer doesn't really show much, which is the point of a teaser!

I think I'll try to avoid the extended trailer when it comes out, I know I'm going to watch this film, so why spoil it!
    VeryBond wrote:
    Bourne #2, Supremacy, is the only truly great one, IMO. That one works on every level. And I definitely think Damon's "apology" scene at the end inspired the end of QOS. But who cares...

And now Bourne is copying Bond by casting a Daniel Craig clone in the shape of Jeremy Renner.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Have now watched it about 8 times and am beginning to like it a bit more. The guy falling in Shanghai has a Hitchcockian feel to it - like the credits in Vertigo (?). FRWL had big-time Hitchcock borrowing going on. If you're going to copy stuff then always make sure that you're taking inspiration from the best! I am also picking up some (very subtle) suggestions that DC may have lightened up, just a teensy little bit. Some of the lines are delivered in an enjoyable way.
  • Question for @Marketto and a few others:

Have you actually read the script, or part of it? You all seem to know so much all of the sudden
    Patrice is the one falling, Knife fight, The villa in Turkey is Silva's
    I believe one of us (Darren) bought a couple of pages, but did these go around or something. I'm a little confused
    Having just read someone else on another thread make the Vertigo connection, I am wondering if Mendes might not have made a deliberate reference to the film. FRWL (which he says is an inspiration for SF) heavily borrows from North By North West. I am wondering if this could be Bond's homage to Vertigo. Another poster has suggested the interesting idea that the Shanghai fall triggers a flashback to Bond's bridge fall, as happened to Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo.
    Some examples of DC in "lighter mode" from earlier films:

"not quite so stylishly"
    "good evening miss llynd"
    Oh and the vallet"
    "Welcome to my home"
    "because then they'd be bad"
    Sorry I'm late...that last hand...nearly killed me"
    "You ok?"

All those lines were more convincingly delivered than anything from Dalton.

(waits for getafix to bite back).
    As a 40-something guy I love the teaser. And I love Craig as Bond. But I have had one nagging doubt since CR.

Where is that feelgood factor that I felt when I left the cinema with my Dad when I was in my teens after TSWLY or Moonraker? (whatever you think of the films now) When you wanted to do all the ridiculous action and your Dad wanted to flirt with the bus conductress on the way home.

I hope they let Craig have a long drink by the pool moment so that there is something aspirational for us all rather than just "it's grim being a spy for perfidious Albion".
    StJamesSt wrote:
    As a 40-something guy I love the teaser. And I love Craig as Bond. But I have had one nagging doubt since CR.

Where is that feelgood factor that I felt when I left the cinema with my Dad when I was in my teens after TSWLY or Moonraker? (whatever you think of the films now) When you wanted to do all the ridiculous action and your Dad wanted to flirt with the bus conductress on the way home.

I hope they let Craig have a long drink by the pool moment so that there is something aspirational for us all rather than just "it's grim being a spy for perfidious Albion".

Exactly. Now wait for the fanboys and self-appointed experts to bite your head off for even raising such doubts.