No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    antovolk wrote: »
    Anticipated 30-50 million USD hit to MGM for the delayed release.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mgm-take-30-million-hit-moving-bond-film-no-time-die-1282803

You’ll make that back in your sleep in Asia. On a spreadsheet they stood to loose $300-400 million

@Pierce2Daniel is quite correct. Yesterday an industry person close to this production told me if this delay wasn't made they'd lose at least $300 million-- at least. This was a very difficult, but shrewd, business move.

And, if the film (likely), has anything to do with viral/biological warfare, could you imagine the backlash if they released it in "safe'ish" territories in the present climate? The media would have a field day. They'd call it tasteless and lacking in sensitivity... They'd try and stage manage the narrative into something very negative.

EoN, et al, made a "big picture" decision (short term pain (fans going bonkers; loss of dollars spent in P&A), vs long term gain (critics in November saying how sensitive EoN was to postpone during a crisis; cinemas being open for business; a new P&A campaign, hitting that billion dollar mark)).
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    peter wrote: »
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mgm-take-30-million-hit-moving-bond-film-no-time-die-1282803

You’ll make that back in your sleep in Asia. On a spreadsheet they stood to loose $300-400 million

@Pierce2Daniel is quite correct. Yesterday an industry person close to this production told me if this delay wasn't made they'd lose at least $300 million-- at least. This was a very difficult, but shrewd, business move.

And, if the film (likely), has anything to do with viral/biological warfare, could you imagine the backlash if they released it in "safe'ish" territories in the present climate? The media would have a field day. They'd call it tasteless and lacking in sensitivity... They'd try and stage manage the narrative into something very negative.

EoN, et al, made a "big picture" decision (short term pain (fans going bonkers; loss of dollars spent in P&A), vs long term gain (critics in November saying how sensitive EoN was to postpone during a crisis; cinemas being open for business; a new P&A campaign, hitting that billion dollar mark)).

This, Peter. We just have to hope things are ok come November & the film doesn’t get delayed once again.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    As a filmmaker you need Asia to make that maximum profit. Directors like Michael Bay really benefited from that....with his transformers movies.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

This, Peter. We just have to hope things are ok come November & the film doesn’t get delayed once again.

@ColonelSun mentored me best @DonnyDB5 ... I told him I had a case of painful blue balls coming on (I was decimated by the news that was texted to me at about noon my time (EST)), and he said....

"Stick ‘em in an ice cold martini. Aways works!"

And wouldn't you know... he was right...
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

@ColonelSun mentored me best @DonnyDB5 ... I told him I had a case of painful blue balls coming on (I was decimated by the news that was texted to me at about noon my time (EST)), and he said....

Indeed! I indulged in a Vesper tonight.

Also, if the virus is contained or subsides then NTTD’s plot could be viewed favorably—something prescient and cutting edge as opposed to insensitive and ill-timed.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Your poor balls, @peter

Get well soon.

89390440_10157433641042620_4906317549412548608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=-l6TT8R_c_8AX-fWnp6&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=c2bdbffde19e3ca8d8222481e1620e59&oe=5E99E021

• peterpeter Toronto

Indeed! I indulged in a Vesper tonight.

Yes, me last night. Two stiff measures. One for each ball.
    Burgess wrote: »

Also, if the virus is contained or subsides then NTTD’s plot could be viewed favorably—something prescient and cutting edge as opposed to insensitive and ill-timed.

Another fine point @Burgess ... Bond was ahead of the curve. The headlines: Life Imitating Art!

Your poor balls, @peter

Get well soon.

89390440_10157433641042620_4906317549412548608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=-l6TT8R_c_8AX-fWnp6&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=c2bdbffde19e3ca8d8222481e1620e59&oe=5E99E021

Yep poor balls but the Cure may be just the remedy. Thanks!!
  • J_Bryce777J_Bryce777 San Francisco
    ertert wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    It's not gonna go to streaming. They're not gonna sacrifice anymore money.

Would they delay to 2021 or beyond if November doesn't work? Surely that would lose money as well.

I don’t think it would help much to worry about that for now. Currently, they’ve said November, in the hopes this virus has gone or at least is less worse by then. It’s impossible to predict the situation in November, so I’d be in favour of keeping hope.
    As things stand, we’ll see a new Bond movie in November, in cinemas. They’ll work on other solutions on an as-needed basis, but that’s currently not the plan or the intention.

Let us look forward to November, and count on a Bond film by then. This pessimistic viewpoint of ‘they’re gonna delay even more and the world is doomed’ is not something that’s helping us Bond fans going forward.

I appreciate your optimism but I do not think the world is doomed nor have I ever said that. This a serious global problem but it is not the end of the world by any means.

But there is no evidence that this will be gone by November. If it is like other known coronaviruses, it may die down in the summer but will absolutely be back in the Fall. Scientists are saying it will likely be with us forever as a seasonal illness and will continue to be a huge problem until we develop a vaccine.

None of this bodes well for sticking to a November release. There is no indication movie theaters will be open anytime in the near future so I would much rather have them release it via streaming then potentially look at a 2022 release date.

I guess the best barometer would be if Black Widow and Fast & Furious keep their release dates and do decently well despite theaters being closed all over the world, Universal may have confidence that they can stick with November, but again, all available evidence points to the contrary.

I would be more than happy to be proven wrong as I've dying to see this film ever since Cary stepped onboard.

They aren’t thinking in a long-term vision now. They needed another date because releasing it now would be box office suicide. And they probably picked November because that’s Bond’s usual release date, they know Bond does well in November as opposed to the summer.

No one can say what the virus will do in November. It might come back, it might be gone. If there’s another delay, they’ll make that decision in October or November, not now.

As for releasing it on streaming, Barbara Broccoli’s comments on the matter are that Bond is a cinematic adventure, and it needs a theatrical release. If necessary, there will be another delay. But you bet that she’ll move it to 2021 or 2022 first before she gives in to streaming.

But for now, November it is.

All very good points you've made. Thanks friend. Cheers.

Yes. Thank you for bringing sense.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

They always said they make films relevant to the current issues at the time. So if it is about biological warfare that would be an amazing coincidence. But bad timing because the media and social media trolls will fan some non-existent flames
    The title of the film has officially been changed to:

NO TIME TO RELEASE
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 3,336
    If you watch a Bond movie each week, you will have time for 36 bond movies before NTTD comes out. 1,5 Bondathons that is.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,661
    I think the decision to delay NTTD to November may be foolhardy. All it takes is another studio to release a film during spring/summer and it grosses close to a billion - which is possible - and it will prove there was no reason to delay NTTD. Obviously I can't predict the future so I could be talking drivel but seven months is a long enough time for a summer film to hit a billion with or without the coronavirus still making global headlines.

Also, delaying it a month or so before release must mean MGM has already lost money on the film. All the marketing for April has to be thrown away or put back in storage so I assume the film will have to make a bit more in total worldwide box office to recoup the losses from delaying.

Time will tell if the decision was right or wrong but I can't imagine no summer blockbuster films not coming close to a billion with or without Chinese box office. Star Wars ep 9 bombed in China but still grossed over a billion world wide. It's possible for a billion dollar grosser without big China box office but it makes sense to try and get people in China to see NTTD. I've no idea how big Bond is in China.

At a selfish fan level, it's disappointing. I thought it was out next month and it's not. Meh. Major letdown. Oh well... what can you do? Have a moan and then chill out for seven months! ;)
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I think the decision to delay NTTD to November may be foolhardy. All it takes is another studio to release a film during spring/summer and it grosses close to a billion - which is possible - and it will prove there was no reason to delay NTTD. Obviously I can't predict the future so I could be talking drivel but seven months is a long enough time for a summer film to hit a billion with or without the coronavirus still making global headlines.

Also, delaying it a month or so before release must mean MGM has already lost money on the film. All the marketing for April has to be thrown away or put back in storage so I assume the film will have to make a bit more in total worldwide box office to recoup the losses from delaying.

Time will tell if the decision was right or wrong but I can't imagine no summer blockbuster films not coming close to a billion with or without Chinese box office. Star Wars ep 9 bombed in China but still grossed over a billion world wide. It's possible for a billion dollar grosser without big China box office but it makes sense to try and get people in China to see NTTD. I've no idea how big Bond is in China.

At a selfish fan level, it's disappointing. I thought it was out next month and it's not. Meh. Major letdown. Oh well... what can you do? Have a moan and then chill out for seven months! ;)

In the case of NTTD, it wasn’t only China but Japan, South Korea, other South East Asian countries, possibly Australia and parts of Europe. That collection of markets represents a higher financial risk than the money lost on advertising. Plus, I don’t think MGM or EON see it as a complete loss. They have to build momentum for the November release but they’re going into the fall with a level of brand awareness greater than any recent Bond film relative to this time of year. Keep in mind that the move was made to maximize the coalition of markets that can get Bond to a billion dollars rather than believing no film between now and November will hit a billion dollars.

The more you think about it... the more it seems convenient. One website is claiming MGM will take a 50 million dollar hit by delaying - however this may be a blessing in disguise for Eon. They didn't want to release Bond in April 2020. It was meant for winter 2019.

Sure, it's disappointing, but it may be perfect for Eon. Bond 25 out November. They got want they wanted. Weird how things turn out. Having said that, if the virus is spreading in winter around the time of release, well, who knows what will happen!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    The more you think about it... the more it seems convenient. One website is claiming MGM will take a 50 million dollar hit by delaying - however this may be a blessing in disguise for Eon. They didn't want to release Bond in April 2020. It was meant for winter 2019.

Sure, it's disappointing, but it may be perfect for Eon. Bond 25 out November. They got want they wanted. Weird how things turn out. Having said that, if the virus is spreading in winter around the time of release, well, who knows what will happen!

Good perspective on things. November is what they originally wanted, but be careful what you wish for (and be specific)!
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    w2bond wrote: »

They always said they make films relevant to the current issues at the time. So if it is about biological warfare that would be an amazing coincidence. But bad timing because the media and social media trolls will fan some non-existent flames

Funny enough there is a conspiracy theory going around the cronovirus was a secretly developed bio weapon for China and the reason they are being difficult is because well they are communist and two is because it maybe a bio weapon apparently the outbreak came out close to the bio weapons facility in Wuhan how ironic for no time to die's plot.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Funny enough there is a conspiracy theory going around the cronovirus was a secretly developed bio weapon for China and the reason they are being difficult is because well they are communist and two is because it maybe a bio weapon apparently the outbreak came out close to the bio weapons facility in Wuhan how ironic for no time to die's plot.

I don't think creating a story in your mind constitutes "going around". This forum sometimes...

I don't think creating a story in your mind constitutes "going around". This forum sometimes...

Its not from my mind go and google it all I made was a statement really am I the new punching bag? I can say what I want and shouldn't be shot down for commenting harmless things.

Its not from my mind go and google it all I made was a statement really am I the new punching bag I can say what I want and shouldn't be shot down for commenting.

That's true, you can.

Its not from my mind go and google it all I made was a statement really am I the new punching bag I can say what I want and shouldn't be shot down for commenting.

That's true, you can.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.com/technology/2020/02/coronavirus-bioweapon-conspiracy-theories.amp
    https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/
    Totally shocked that Eon took this move and Disney have not with Mulan.

NTTD is due to get a boost in Asia, but Mulan was meant to be a beast in the region. The film is tracking for $90 million in the USA opening weekend and will postpone its China release. This surely was the best strategy for NTTD as well.....simply delaying the release in some territories.

I think the decision ultimately came from MGM as they only really have a cash-cow with the Bond franchise. Disney can take the punt and loose out with Mulan and even Black Widow as they have films in Q3 and Q4 to pick up the slack. MGM don't.

_107799228_mulan2020poster.jpg

One has to wonder what impact piracy would have had if they had simply postponed certain regions for whatever amount of time. Anything over a month in a delay, and you'd be taking a hit in those regions.

Black Widow is the closest comparable to Bond in this situation I think. I'll be very curious to see how that does.

Is piracy that big a concern? I know its a problem, but will it seriously dent a film's box office that severely? People will still turn up to see a film - especially older folk who don't know how to work computers.

Is piracy really that widespread in China?
    About 20 years ago I read interviews with several rock bands who mentioned that they basically don´t sell any CDs in Russia or South America due to piracy. I doubt that the copy protection of films is much of a hindrance to piracy nowadays. Different countries have different mentalities concerning this. In Russia for instance you´d be surprised how many films you find for free on the internet.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Let's go back to the thread topic, shall we?

Stunt team:
    Far left - Oliver Schneider, supervising stunt coordinator
    Second from right - Jean-Charles Rousseau, one of Craigs stunt-doubles (all the stuntwork in Jamaica).
    Asian guy - Patrick Vo, fight choreographer

The remaing two I do not know but I'm sure you guys do?

ZUOLF8H.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    Such cool images :D

Nomi spin-off.......something more grounded and London based? Anyone? I would definitely watch that.

da60f1bce56b56704226ca9f644c0920.jpg
    5910c5f1a77cc7a649d80573d47b4af3.jpg
    eb79762bb447830323e368a7ce47cf33.jpg

Funny thing is, as an MI6 officer, London is pretty much the only place she's not actually allowed to operate! :)
    I do agree that I'm quite keen on the idea of her character though: she has bags of cool in all the shots we've seen of her so far- I think she might be a bit of a hit. A spinoff with her feels like it could work: she's way less cheesy than Jinx, their last attempt at a character like this. Love her Triumph!
  • What I would love to know is how finished the movie is. Since we know the runtime, it seems that the editing is done. Is the music done? Are all visual effects finished? Also, is there a chance that now that they have 7 extra months they will tweak the editing a bit?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861
    silva13 wrote: »
    Didn't the cast go on graham Norton for MI; fallout before the film was finished because Cruise broke his ankle? And I'm pretty sure they went on again when the film was finished. So circumstances change and that movie did alright.

I think they'd started filming again after he had recovered (as much as he did recover!) when they all went on Norton: it was pretty weird to be honest and Chris McQuarrie said he was a bit baffled that his cast had all gone on the telly because he was trying to shoot the movie! :D
    I think that was on the Empire podcast interview he did- I can't recommend it enough, incidentally: he's very candid.
    I don't think they did go back on when the movie got released: I was expecting them to too but I'm pretty sure they didn't. You're right though: that's a good example of unconventionally early promotion for a film.
    The title of the film has officially been changed to:

NO TIME TO RELEASE

Sounds like a Frankie Goes To Hollywood song.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    You know, at this point in time NTTD is an extra to me. It's the end of Craig's tenure and we should be looking forward. EoN should be looking forward, for quite a while now actually. In stead of sitting back and relax (they're good at that nowadays at EoN HQ), the search for the next Bond should actively commence, discreetly at that, so when NTTD finally drops not long after they can announce the new Bond and perhaps an outline of the new (hopefully classic) vision, set out plans for a script. After so many delays and negativity it should be a given to EoN. They have the coolest jobs in the world for pete's sake! Give us a new Bond film every 3 years, 2 might be pushing it. Onwards and upwards, out with emo Bond, back to the Connery days pretty please.

In short: EoN start planning ahead! Go and seek the new Bond, which should be Aidan Turner, but don't let this silly situation rob yourself and us of the future we all deserve and very much enjoy.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Si vous êtes fan de James Bond et que le report du nouvel opus vous attriste, plongez dans ce hors-série de @magazinelire sur 007 et ses belles photos pour vous remonter le moral ! Disponible en kiosque dès aujourd’hui ! 😊 #jamesbond #Notimetodie #cinema #007 . 📸(c) Nicola Dove 2019 Danjaq, LLC and MGM. All rights reserved

Translation, sort of:

NEW I The special issue "JAMES BOND, Spies are Eternal" is available from your newsagent! 🍸🤵 The most secret agent in the world will have none for you, thanks to this number which will help you to wait until the film is released in November! ➡️ available on www.lire.fr

Nicola Dove behind the stills would mean official stills, maybe new set pictures. All you french members in here should get the mag asap!!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    FoxRox wrote: »

This again. I remember when SPECTRE came out he never definitively said he was done for good like many said, rather he wanted to take a break before he would come back and EON granted him that. People took the "slit my wrist" comment way out of context. I do think of EON wanted to hop right onto another film soon after SP he probably would have declined and they would have looked for another actor, but they decided to wait him out for when he was ready.

With NTTD though he's much more clear that this was it for him, and others have actually acknowledged that this is his last ride.