Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• edited May 2012 Posts: 624
    DAF is 2nd on my list, DAD is 14th.

Halle Berry loses DAD so many points. Halle Berry is the worst Bond girl in history.

DAF, on the other hand, is pure cinematic perfection.
    Diamonds Are Forever

It's always in my top ten, and I adore it, despite what anyone may think about its reversal from OHMSS or its corny dialogue at times. The villains and the score are what really push DAF over DAD for me, but I also think that it is more entertaining than DAD.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    DAF over this other one. I like Pierce and some scenes in DAD but overall, no - give me DAF.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I rank both of these at the bottom of my rankings.
    But if I had to pick a winner, then DAF would win. Only because it has some wonderful lines.
    Both pretty terrible, but DAF
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited May 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Can we just declare this one a draw.

No.

OK, I vote for DAF for being intentionally ridiculous.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 503
    I'm with the "draw" crowd, as both films are pretty regrettable, and they're both at the bottom of my list.

That said, I pick Die Another Day as the edging winner since its first half is rather good and it is Brosnan's best Bond performance. Connery's effort on the other hand was consistently lackluster in DAF.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Must I? All right, DAF...but with reservations.
    All the hate for DAF makes me sick.
    DAF
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It pains me to say it but...DAF. If Sean wasn't Bond I don't know what I'd pick. DAD has Jinx, some of the biggest missed opportunities in the series, no Desmond, stupid CGI, dumb one liners and a villain that always quotes bumper stickers, and those trashy Bond film references. DAF forever has Blofeld in drag, literally no core revenge plot, crap Blofeld death, and Tiffany "I'm a basket" Case. BUT it also has Master, Plenty, and Shirley Bassey. So it wins for sucking less.
    DAF has that touch of wit and class that DAD can only look at from a distance and wistfully say I wish I had that.

Diamonds is a good Sunday afternoon treat enjoyable with a cup of tea and a packet of custard creams. DAD is just ghastly and has rotted even more with age.

So DAF then...
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I always found DAF pretty boring to be honest. Last time I saw it on a Sunday afternoon I almost fell asleep. It lacks momentum.

That said it does have some genuinely creative lines like the "tarts handkerchief" one.

DAD for the most part has none. Although there are 2 that spring to mind:
    "better than looking cleverer than you are"

"maybe you've been down here too long"

Still, my vote to DAF - but not by much.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 23,561
    DAF

It's IMO the more enjoyable, the better acted and scored and even the better scripted of the two.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    You mean I have to pick sh*t or sh*t?! I'm gonna at least pick the prettier, less Guy Hamilton sh*t, DAD.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    actonsteve wrote:
    DAF has that touch of wit and class that DAD can only look at from a distance and wistfully say I wish I had that.

Diamonds is a good Sunday afternoon treat enjoyable with a cup of tea and a packet of custard creams. DAD is just ghastly and has rotted even more with age.

So DAF then...

Agree heartily with that. In fact the missus has just gone out so I think I might stick it on as we speak.

At the end of the day I'm no big fan of DAF but the presence of Jinx is like trying to swim the channel attached to a fridge and any good moments are simply dragged straight to the bottom by the deadweight of her awfulness. And thats not even counting the invisible car and the parasurfing. DAF would struggle to put up a fight against every other film except perhaps TMWTGG but here its a Tyson style 3 second knockout triumph against the pathetically mismatched contender that is DAD.

'Alimentary Dr. Leiter' - That line alone contains more inspiration than the whole of DAD.
  • Kerim wrote:
    OK, I vote for DAF for being intentionally ridiculous.

Yes, that is the biggest reason to vote DAF for sure. Plus there's also Sean, a fun cast, and my favorite Barry soundtrack.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    [and my favorite Barry soundtrack.

50 % of the film's charm! Agreed.
    DAF by a country mile.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DAF is my 3rd favorite outing ! :)

While DAD is around 10th-12th
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Die Another Day for at least having a soild first half, plus Brosnan's performance.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Diamonds Are Forever!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    royale65 wrote:
    Die Another Day for at least having a soild first half, plus Brosnan's performance.

The stretch of DAF from the titles, through the M scene ("Refreshing to hear there's one subject you're not an expert on"), through Amsterdam (meeting Tiffany and the elevator fight) are better than the corresponding scenes in DAD.

And I say this as someone who doesn't like DAF very much at all.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    echo wrote:
    The stretch of DAF from the titles, through the M scene ("Refreshing to hear there's one subject you're not an expert on"), through Amsterdam (meeting Tiffany and the elevator fight) are better than the corresponding scenes in DAD.

And I say this as someone who doesn't like DAF very much at all.

I grant you that bit is good; however DAD is more consistent, in the first half anyway. ;-) Plus I find Hamilton’s directing rather sloppy; look at the PTS, with the dubs, and during Sir Donald describing the smuggling, we get the infamous “loop”. Just my opinion, of course.

:)>-
    actonsteve wrote:

So DAF then...

Agree heartily with that. In fact the missus has just gone out so I think I might stick it on as we speak.

At the end of the day I'm no big fan of DAF but the presence of Jinx is like trying to swim the channel attached to a fridge and any good moments are simply dragged straight to the bottom by the deadweight of her awfulness. And thats not even counting the invisible car and the parasurfing. DAF would struggle to put up a fight against every other film except perhaps TMWTGG but here its a Tyson style 3 second knockout triumph against the pathetically mismatched contender that is DAD.

'Alimentary Dr. Leiter' - That line alone contains more inspiration than the whole of DAD.

Enjoyed both your above posts gentlemen and the slyfox shares the same thoughts about these two. DAF.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Final tally:
    MR-18
    AVTAK-7
    I'm very happy with that result :\">

As for this round, Sean and Jill easily beat Pierce and Halle:

Diamonds Are Forever
    Bad Bond entries but DAF wins by a small margin.

DAF - 21
    DAD - 22

• DAD wins without a doubt.
    DAF because it has the elevator fight and some part of it is set in Amsterdam the Netherlands.
    So pleased Moonraker won..

as for this, where to start ?

Both release are the epitome of whatever garbage you can think of, both in the bottom five of the entire franchise for me, and many others - which tells you enough

I'll say Diamonds, because Die Another Day is unmitigated crap, and Diamonds, as poor as it is, does have Jill Saint John, Bambi and Thumper and Kidd and Wint so there at least are some redeeming qualities

Diamonds wins this round (or damn well should in the long run if common sense prevails)