NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

ColonelSun wrote: »
    Burgess wrote: »

Very interesting interview. And the more I hear the song, the more I like it. I actually think it is a classic - a slow burn classic. This song will grow and grow, I think.

Sounds like Marr isn’t quite finished working on the score.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2020 Posts: 12,459
    Yes, I do like it and I love the excitement Billie and Hans and Johnny bring to this. Just read that there will be plenty of guitar in the score - now that makes me happy, too.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Yes, I do like it and I love the excitement Billie and Hans and Johnny bring to this. Just read that there will be plenty of guitar in the score - now that makes me happy, too.

I was hyped for the score now I'm practically salivating for it, having Marr aboard is such a coup, this should be the best score of the Craig era.
    vzok wrote: »

Very interesting interview. And the more I hear the song, the more I like it. I actually think it is a classic - a slow burn classic. This song will grow and grow, I think.

Sounds like Marr isn’t quite finished working on the score.

They are still sound mixing and that means they are, as per his words, still adding in more to the score. That's pretty normal these days.

bondbat007 wrote: »
    Music and art is subjective but wow, I can't believe some of you can listen to this song and claim it's the "worst Bond song ever." I get that her style isn't for everyone, but a claim like that when certain other themes exist in the 58 year history of this franchise, I can just say...wow
    Seems to be very subjective indeed. I won´t bother thinking about whether it´s the worst ever or not, but a claim that this is oh so fantastic makes me go, "wow"....

boldfinger wrote: »
    Music and art is subjective but wow, I can't believe some of you can listen to this song and claim it's the "worst Bond song ever." I get that her style isn't for everyone, but a claim like that when certain other themes exist in the 58 year history of this franchise, I can just say...wow
    Seems to be very subjective indeed. I won´t bother thinking about whether it´s the worst ever or not, but a claim that this is oh so fantastic makes me go, "wow"....

Music is so subjective. I really love the song and the bold approach they have taken, but I can see why it might not chime for others. I do suspect that when the song is heard in context with the film and after, what appears to be a very dramatic and emotional pre-titles, the approach/song will make sense.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,541

It's not fantastic but not worse either. Still lyrics and instrumental are good. Her whispering and mumbling isn't helping much to be honest. I feel song had potential but didn't quite reached to it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Wonderful performance of the song at the Brits, but could have done without all the idiots in the audience 'whooping' during the quiet build up.... 😕
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    You’re all wrong. The song is fantastic. Makes Shirley Bassey and Paul McCartney look like chumps. David Arnold wish he could make a collaboration as decent as that.

It’s going to win all the accolades and be declared BY LAW as a definitive work of genius.
    You’re all wrong. The song is fantastic. Makes Shirley Bassey and Paul McCartney look like chumps. David Arnold wish he could make a collaboration as decent as that.

It’s going to win all the accolades and be declared BY LAW as a definitive work of genius.

:)) Sure
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

I do like a good ol' cup of sarcasm now and then. Cheerio.
  • Can’t help but say that Billie absolutely killed it at the Brits….Hans Zimmer looks a little like an evil ghost in that conductor’s outfit. Also, it seemed that Johnny Marr came on stage to literally do two very small bits.….which was kinda odd.

Nonetheless, the performance was all about Billie Eilish and she nailed it. Interestingly, both Eilish and Finneas have said they have seen NTTD. They speak very enthusiastically about it. I imagine their frame of reference for Bond are the DC films……hopefully this is another CR or SF!

Now we´re talking!

edited February 2020 Posts: 2,541

This was me last night, trying to stay awake for her performance.
    SarcasticBarrenAdeliepenguin-max-1mb.gif
    Paul McCartney once phoned Eilish to say he liked her music. That's something.

But I'm not insane enough to say she's on par with Bassey and him. She wouldn't say it either, I suppose. Besides, they're both national icons and heroes. One Welsh, the other a Liverpudlian.

I do like her song. I love the fact that Marr's doing the guitar bits throughout the film. I love Zimmer's enthusiasm. I like Finneas intelligent diplomacy in his interviews.

All and all, and considering what we could have got (perhaps a Danny Boyle film with a Sheeran song and a cliché set of russian baddies with a Samoan henchman - cringe!), I'm rather happy. Really am.

• QQ7QQ7 Croatia

This was me yesterday night, trying to stay awake for her performance.
    SarcasticBarrenAdeliepenguin-max-1mb.gif

Even with all this hype around live performance, the song still does literally nothing to me. Incredibly bland.
    Sarcasm aside, the song IS great.

Whether it’s a classic is something to be determined by the leathery sands of time.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 5,767
    Now you´re going too far.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,185

Love the shout out to Fukunaga "Director really knows what he's doing".

The performance was great. I enjoyed it very much. Hope we get a snippet of the soundtrack soon.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Thanks for that! When you see the orchestra and Johnny Marr it does seem a shame it doesn't take off a bit more and use them! :)

Got me more excited now after watching that interview.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,000
    No you´re going too far.

I’ve only begun.

200.gif
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Univex wrote: »
    Paul McCartney once phoned Eilish to say he liked her music. That's something.

But I'm not insane enough to say she's on par with Bassey and him. She wouldn't say it either, I suppose. Besides, they're both national icons and heroes. One Welsh, the other a Liverpudlian.

I do like her song. I love the fact that Marr's doing the guitar bits throughout the film. I love Zimmer's enthusiasm. I like Finneas intelligent diplomacy in his interviews.

All and all, and considering what we could have got (perhaps a Danny Boyle film with a Sheeran song and a cliché set of russian baddies with a Samoan henchman - cringe!), I'm rather happy. Really am.

Couldn't agree more mate @Univex
  • Switching on the radio I missed the announcement, but instantly recognised the intro to Gil Evans's 'Where Flamingos Fly'.
    Except that it wasn’t.
    It was instead the intro to Billie Eilish’s theme tune for No Time to Die. Perhaps others have noticed these remarkable similarities, similarities which do not end with the introduction. Further into the song a high point is reached by a melody strongly reminiscent of one in Sheryl Crowe’s Tomorrow Never Dies.
    But, the words and music aside, Eilish really makes the song her own by contributing the dirge-like quality of her voice. Doubtless the Bond producers had their reasons for considering Eilish's song a fitting theme for Daniel Craig's 007 farewell. For many Bond fans, though, I suspect it will remain a puzzle worthy of an Agatha Christie or Conan Doyle sleuth. Hugely disappointing.
    Johnny Marr is saying lots of things that get me excited! Hope he Vic Flicks the hell out of this score.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Johnny Marr is saying lots of things that get me excited! Hope he Vic Flicks the hell out of this score.
    I couldn't agree more. I'm hopeful this means we'll have the guitar line in the gun barrel too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

It is a really fine song, and interesting to hear that Marr was involved.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Not surprised about Marr's 'Lots of Guitar' statement.....inception has a Bondian feel about it. And he gave it, it's fair share of Guitar. So he's definitely going to go all out in an actual Bond film, when it comes to the Guitar.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Billie Eilish did a great job and performed really well at the Brits. I didn't see it live, I was watching Liverpool to be honest but I watched it this afternoon and it was great to hear the full orchestration live

I'll have to buy my mate a pint, next time I see him, for giving us the text confirming she was performing the song on the Brits last month
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I don’t expect an official music video. We never got one with Adele, and audio only YouTube videos are pretty common these days. If you go on Billie’s page you’ll find a plethora of audio only videos. That’s just how it is now.

Adele didn't film one because she was pregnant.