NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Loved Finneas's harmonizing during the second verse. I wish it was in the actual song.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Can't wait for Kleinman's visuals with this!!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Send shivers down my spine... YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
  • DrinmanDrinman New York
    Anyone else getting the vibes from Hans that he is literally over the moon that he is scoring a Bond film? He looked like performing at the Brits with Billie was the highlight of his life lol
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 252
    Drinman wrote: »
    Anyone else getting the vibes from Hans that he is literally over the moon that he is scoring a Bond film? He looked like performing at the Brits with Billie was the highlight of his life lol

Yes definiteley, i think scoring a Bond Movie is a big highlight in his career
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think Hans is elated at this and Billie knocked it out the park and added bit of cool having Johnny Marr at the side of the stage adding a little magic.

Hoping him and Hans come up with a new arrangement of the Bond theme and we don't get Arnold's again.

Nothing against it but Zimmer is all in here, he's not Newman who was not keen on using it. I think he will want to go full out with it and with this being Craig's last hopefully a few times.

The thought of this film just gets better and better.

• It's not like SF which tries too hard to be like the GF song. And it's not all desperate like Blood Stone which just throws it all out....NTTD song is not bad. Does Daniel Craig approve? I'm sure he does or else the song wouldn't have had this title yet before release.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don’t see how SF tried going for GF at all.

• I don’t see how SF tried going for GF at all.

Both songs were under-lyriced
    Great performance and LOVE seeing Zimmer so involved. Time restraints aside, I think he'll provide a Bond score for the ages
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Just saw it.

Hot damn.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Denbigh wrote: »

You guys should listen to this "epic cover of the new James Bond Theme for No Time To Die."

Sort of like a kind of shopping centre Muzak version to me to be honest. Thanks for sharing though!
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Terrific performance. Zimmer really does look like a giddy school boy up there. In my view this is going to be the best Bond score in years. Sorry Newman!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ryan wrote: »
    Terrific performance. Zimmer really does look like a giddy school boy up there. In my view this is going to be the best Bond score in years. Sorry Newman!

Agreed!
  • Just youtube'd the Brit Awards performance... everything was perfect and earnest, just seeing them all on one stage! When was the last time the debut live performance of a Bond theme was so high profile?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Walecs wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I think the song really only encompasses the events of the PTS.
    Smart as usual, uh?
    And you kind as usual... 😏

• AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Daniel316 wrote: »
    So I realized I forgot to share my thoughts on the theme song. I think its easily the worst Bond Theme ever recorded, it Makes Sam Smith look like Chris Cornell and Smith was already truly awful, like it is impressive how bad this new theme song really is. Then again it seems to be a reflection of this new movie.

I don't want to be down on the movie, yet. After all, a new Bond release is always something to look forward to. The song is awful though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Thanks for posting!
    Music and art is subjective but wow, I can't believe some of you can listen to this song and claim it's the "worst Bond song ever." I get that her style isn't for everyone, but a claim like that when certain other themes exist in the 58 year history of this franchise, I can just say...wow
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It's not a classic that's for sure though I think NTTD is a decent song and there have been much worse, though we are all entitled to our own opinion.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 565
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    Music and art is subjective but wow, I can't believe some of you can listen to this song and claim it's the "worst Bond song ever." I get that her style isn't for everyone, but a claim like that when certain other themes exist in the 58 year history of this franchise, I can just say...wow
    This.
    I am curious as to what specific features are so grating for "the worst" to even be a thought...

My biggest qualm with it is the the guitar at the end. It feels a little to shoved in there like, "oh hey, just reminding you this is a Bond song." And at that, it's a very small beef I have with the song....

Unlike a vibrato so forced that it sounds like one was singing while driving on a bumpy road to achieve effect, a quivering male falsetto, clashing duet vocals, tryhard imitation material, and unforgivable lyrics like "shoot 'em up, bang, bang," "Sigmund Freud analyze this this this this," "who will he bang, we shall see," and "how do I live? how do I breathe?"
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Right now all I'm asking is for an official music video of the song..
    JamesStock wrote: »
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    This.
    I am curious as to what specific features are so grating for "the worst" to even be a thought...

My biggest qualm with it is the the guitar at the end. It feels a little to shoved in there like, "oh hey, just reminding you this is a Bond song." And at that, it's a very small beef I have with the song....

Unlike a vibrato so forced that it sounds like one was singing while driving on a bumpy road to achieve effect, a quivering male falsetto, clashing duet vocals, tryhard imitation material, and unforgivable lyrics like "shoot 'em up, bang, bang," "Sigmund Freud analyze this this this this," "who will he bang, we shall see," and "how do I live? how do I breathe?"

"death or paradise" alone leaves the lyrics above eating it's dust.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 3,273
    The song is growing on me. It's definitely not the worst song in the franchise, or the best song either.

I really liked seeing Marr and Zimmer alongside for the Brits performance. I think Zimmer is going to do a belter of a soundtrack.

I need to see an official video with the song now. I think that will make the song grow on me even more.

The one thing that bugs me is the way she says `stoopid' during the song, but I'm starting to really enjoy the background Zimmer orchestra layers now.
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    God I already loved this song but now I love it even more!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don’t expect an official music video. We never got one with Adele, and audio only YouTube videos are pretty common these days. If you go on Billie’s page you’ll find a plethora of audio only videos. That’s just how it is now.
    Burgess wrote: »

Very interesting interview. And the more I hear the song, the more I like it. I actually think it is a classic - a slow burn classic. This song will grow and grow, I think.